American Airlines

American Airlines customer review

ORD to IAH. Check in was a bit of a hassle since the American Airlines staff directed us to a machine kiosk that was malfunctioning. After that hurdle was crossed a slew of others slowly came our way. Our original flight to IAH Houston was scheduled for 3.15pm at 2.55pm (local time) and arriving at 5.55pm the gate attendant told us that the flight had been delayed for an unspecified amount of time. We soon learned that the gate had been changed no announcement by telecom only by looking at the airport television screens did we figure this out. The new departure time was 3:34pm but that didn't happen either so the staff delayed the flight again to 4.04pm. As 4.15pm approached everyone was finally seated on this haggard and small CR7 jet. As we were about to leave the gate the pilot said there needed to be some maintenance and that it would take "5 minutes" to complete. 5 minutes passed and then 10 and then 20. By this time it was 4.25pm and we had yet to leave the gate. At 4.45pm we began taxing onto the runway when another problem arose. There apparently was an electrical failure and maintenance needed to be done once again. Back to the gate we go and by now its 5.10pm. Maintenance fixed the problem and off we go! We finally take off at 5.45pm.

American Airlines customer review

Booked a flight for wife stepdaughter and grandson to visit me in San Francisco from Indianapolis. (IND to SFO). The first leg to Dallas was delayed. They spent 4 hours waiting in Indy to catch a flight to Chicago. Flight from Chicago to San Francisco was delayed. What normally takes me 6 hours with Delta has now taken them 15 hours. When I had long delays with Delta they rebooked on another carrier for direct flights. AA = Anguishing Anxiety.

American Airlines customer review

BOS-DFW-MEX and return MEX-MIA-BOS. 1/21/14 - 2/1/14. AA Platinum Desk gracefully accommodated our request for a departure a day before scheduled because of impending snow storm on 1/22. All flights on time or ahead upgraded using 500 miles awards on two of the legs. Service in first was prompt and cheerful. Food was fine-just the right menu for the time of day. Boarding well organized. Equipment well-maintained. All in all a very pleasant experience.
Seat TypeFirst Class

(Spain)

We took our first American flight in 15 years to see if they improved and boy were we wrong. We took a 45 minute MAD-PUJ via MIA and return. All flights on time check in fast and easy. Priority boarding. On board very old planes on all sectors very nice flight crew. Their Business Class still have the inclined lay flat seats can feel a little uncomfortable for a night flight. But for other positions is OK. Food better than usual and nice selection of wines and drinks. For the first time connections at MIA went smooth and fast.

American Airlines customer review

We took our first American flight in 15 years to see if they improved and boy were we wrong. We took a 45 minute flight from Beaumont TX to Dallas TX. We were coming back the next morning the same time. The time for our check- in came and passed as we did not get the normal check-in email. When we checked our status they had canceled our flight. They did not even notify us to this. Then as we were waiting on the phone for Customer service we drove all the way to the airport. They sent us to Dallas fully aware that we were not going to get back home. They placed us on another flight 5 hours later than the original flight. Then I looked online to see what was going on. They weather was around 32 degrees. 281 flights had been cancelled in Dallas. At the time I looked 211 of those 281 were American Airlines.

American Airlines customer review

Flew Las Vegas - JFK 28 Jan 2014. If it wasn't for our crew the flight would've been miserable all the crew smiled from boarding to landing I was expecting the opposite the Flight attendant looking after us in the front was excellent he was always in the cabin offering drinks and so on only complaint is the seats and IFE after coming off a Virgin America first class flight they are way beyond AA's seats. The food was below par way below par that I couldn't eat it where as I could eat almost anything.
Seat TypeFirst Class

(Hong Kong)

LAX-NRT Economy cabin B777-200. Have to say one of my worst experiences in a very long time. Were told before boarding the IFE was broken so expect no TV for the next 12 hrs. Boarded an old plane with dirty cabins. Blanket and candy wrappers in my/ my wife's seat pockets. To my right on the other side of the aisle there was a lady with an empty seat next to her. She wanted to fold up the armrest so she could sleep across but the armrest would not stay up which was later solved by flight attendants using masking tape. My reading light was broken. American Airlines truly lived up to what US airlines are famous for - grumpy flight attendants shouting at foreign passengers who merely wanted to find out more about the food they were being served. And while on food absolutely horrible and I am sure anyone on that flight would have described it as such. Same chicken and rice dish for both meals but called different names. Same sauce same meat but one with carrots and onions. Not asking for Michelin- starred gourmet meals but this was just miles apart from coach class catering at other airlines I have flown with for example Cathay or Japan Airlines. If they can do it why can't American. Flight attendants delivering service chewing gum. Signs they were getting a tad too relaxed about their work environment. I am a frequent traveller and do not often (in fact my first time) post reviews but I really think flight deserves American's attention.

American Airlines customer review

LAX to LHR AA 136 27th Jan. New AA Business Class. Lounge very relaxing and bar served a variety of drinks. Nibbles were ok and more substantial food was available for a fee. Once on board this is the new lie flat AA product and feels more like a first class seat than business. Flight staff were very attentive and the service on the 9 hour overnight flight was great. Amazing food great entertainment on a large screen and the seat is great for working and sleeping too. A decent pillow and fleece blanket are provided. THe walk up bar with snacks during the flight was great as were the massive toilets in which you can change into more comfy wear for sleeping pj's are not provided. Bose headphones made for cinema sound and the amenity kit was of a good quality too. Food servings being on an American carrier are generous. All in all an excellent product and this does give Emirates and Etihad a run for their money as one of the best in the sky - well worth a try.

American Airlines customer review

Originally meant to flu YUL-LGA/JFK-CDG on Dec 24th 2013 and CDG-JFK-YUL on Jan 5th 2014 but a lot of changes occurred! Our JFK-CDG was cancelled due to weather in Paris. Flight from YUL-LGA was finally cancelled at the gate they rescheduled us on Air Canada to BOS (CRJ50) then British Airways to LHR. AA agents were ok and all speck fluent French. On the BOS-LHR flight (B747-400) they put us in premium economy seating was good but meal disgusting. Arrived at LHR around 4.50am we had our CDG flight scheduled at 3pm but British Airways found places for us on an earlier flight (A320). Our return wasn't cancelled as we entered the plane a B757-200 wifi- equipped we and 10 other passengers were told to go back to the gate. Given vouchers 800USD each Hyatt hotel and complimentary meals. The next morning staff helped us find the best flight. CDG-MIA-YUL. The 10 hours long CDG-MIA flight was on an outdated B767-300 but was really clean. Food was better than BA but still not as AF or Egyptair. No individual TV of course but good seat. I was able to sleep. The rest of the trip MIA-YUL was on an B737-800. Normal flight free beverages and everything else we needed to pay for. Great staff. I would fly them again.

American Airlines customer review

JFK to Heathrow. The flight was needlessly delayed by 3hrs at first not because of any weather or anything but just because it was not "ready" yet and then after we were boarded it was again delayed by 2 hrs. After we landed in Heathrow people who missed flights were not given any sort of lodging etc. This is totally unexpected from an international airline which is considered first rate. I write this comment to let people know what they can expect if they plan on a long flight with AA.