American Airlines

"American has lost my business"

Trip Verified | Boston to Dallas Fort Worth. Ground employees extremely rude including check in and gate staff. American needs to work on service excellence. Will fly Jet Blue next time. They are known for great customer service. American has lost my business.
RouteBoston to Dallas Fort Worth

"treated extremely poorly"

Not Verified | Flight was 8 hours late. No vouchers given or even a simple we are sorry for the inconvenience. Terrible service both at the airport and in flight. After waiting 8 hours to take a flight and already missing my brothers wedding, I was treated extremely poorly and was told that I should pay more attention to putting my bag under my feet than looking at my phone. My phone that I was texting my family on to tell them that I will not make it to the wedding. I will never fly AMERICAN again.
RouteSpringfield to Portland

"Never again!"

Not Verified | Austin to Montego Bay via DFW. Boarded the flight with no initial delay, 10 minutes after flight was scheduled to depart, the captain informed the flight via intercom that someone spotted a dent on the plane - maintenance allegedly told him that it would take about 15 minutes, then he would update us. After 30 minutes, it became indefinite. At this point, we had no chance of making the connection to MoBay. I called AA Customer Service, which was a joke; the rep kept telling me about overnight layovers and deplaning, which is not the airline’s fault, because they need to keep us safe. “So whose fault is this and who compensated me for my nights loss, transportation, etc?” “We have no control over that...” She said. The point is that this airline is not proactively maintaining the aircraft. No my vacation time and hard earned money are lost and they don’t have the decency to offer any type of reimbursement, not even a drink of water. The toilet facility on the aircraft is filthy and the attendants are sitting down with their feet kicked up. We’re on the plane as I write, wasting our lives away while they get paid. Never again! I rather take Southwest, and I hate Southwest.
RouteAustin to Montego Bay via DFW
Date FlownOctober 2018

"would fly with American again"

Not Verified | On March 24 of this year I flew on AA 1839 from Washington to Dallas Fort Worth. Since this flight was a short hop there were no meals served, just American's biscoff. The flight attendants seemed very nice and helpful, check in at DCA was very simple in painless, there were kiosks with staff roaming the check in area collecting baggage and helping out with any issues, from parking to being at the ate took me about 45 minutes. Once we reached DFW the staff at the gate were very helpful in finding where my connection was. I would fly with American again.
RouteWashington to Dallas Fort Worth
Date FlownMarch 2018

"I’d rather fly Spirit"

Not Verified | LaGuardia to Dallas. Worst airline ever! I always fly Delta but had no choice but to fly American Airlines to Dallas and it’s the worst. They always have huge delays and issues and wont provide you with any information or approx time of departure. The staff are rude even when the airline has inconvenienced me. I’d rather fly Spirit.
RouteLaGuardia to Dallas
Date FlownOctober 2018

"asked to check their baggage"

Trip Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to Philadelphia. Terrible support and accommodations on-flight. No room was provided for my carry on. It should not have to be a concern of the flyer to ensure that personnel use proper storage room. Flight attendants or crew members should ensure flyers use proper storage. Instead all flyers group 6 and back were asked to check their baggage. I have important documents, work laptop and information to keep on me and was not allowed due to running out of room. I will request I never fly American aAirlines through military again. Completely let down, I have flown with this airline numerous times and have always been allowed to keep my bag even when "no room" was available. The lady at the desk was extremely rude and not willing to listen at all. Just got told to please handle it when you arrive at Philadelphia. So much for your customer service. This was terrible and can not any longer recommend your airlines for flying to others.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Philadelphia
Date FlownOctober 2018

"you didn’t make the cut off"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Salt Lake City via Los Angeles. Worst customer service I have experienced. My wife and baby went to the counter and checked in and the woman at the counter in Honolulu airport told my wife that I had five minutes to get there or I wouldn’t be able to board the plane. So my wife called me right then and I was there two minutes earlier than the five minutes because I sprinted from my car rental drop off after she told me that. When I arrived at the counter (three minutes earlier than the five minute cut off she gave my wife) she said in the most demeaning tone “you’re not going to be able to board the plane” and it felt as if she loved telling me that. I said “why?” And she said “because you didn’t make the cut off“. I looked at my watch and I said “yes I did, look at the time” and I showed her the time on her computer screen which was one minute earlier than the cut off time. She said in a sarcastic voice “I’m sorry there’s nothing I can do“. I said “can I speak to your manager“? And she laughed and said “she’s not going to help you“. She came back after like 15 seconds and said “told you, you’re not getting on the plane“. I asked her why she seemed to not be interested in helping us and told her it seems like she didn’t care. She just kept saying “it’s under the terms and conditions” and “you shouldn’t have agreed.” I will never fly American Airlines again. Because of some cut off that I wasn’t even actually late for.
RouteHonolulu to Salt Lake City via Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2018

"One of the worst flights"

Not Verified | One of the worst flights ever. We flew from San Francisco to Rome via Chicago. First they didn’t allow us to checkin online unless we selected seats for which we needed to pay like 30-40 Dollars per seat per leg of the flight. That means it costs like 150-160 dollars for just selecting a regular economy seat. Then when we reached the airport, we tried checking in the kiosk. It said assistance required and there was no one around. Then we went to a counter and checked by bag which cost 60$ for a single bag(wow). Then first flight from San Francisco to Chicago was delayed by 1 hour. That was after boarding. We barely made it 10 minutes before our boarding started for our next flight from Chicago. Then after sitting in the flight for 30 minutes they started saying that some maintenance was required for the flight and now it has been already more than 2 hours and we are still waiting. They are not even letting us off the plane.
RouteSan Francisco to Rome via Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2018

"delays and other issues"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Wichita, 1hr 32 mins late arriving. Worst airline in the business, delays and other issues, aircraft are cramped and uncomfortable. I would not be flying them, but my company booked the flight. Truly a disgrace to airlines, I'm not sure how an airline can screw up so badly and so often.
RouteChicago to Wichita
Date FlownOctober 2018

"miss our connecting flight"

Not Verified | Buffalo to Charlotte. Worst airline to fly with! This is now our second time this year for our flight to be delayed causing us to miss our connecting flight thus missing very important events that we paid a lot of money to be at. To “accommodate us” they gave us a 10% hotel discount for a hotel that was over $150 a night and sent us on our way. Absolutely unacceptable. And now that I’m reading the reviews I see that it’s a very common thing with this company. Will never be flying through this Airline again and suggest you not to if you want to make it on time wherever you are going.
RouteBuffalo to Charlotte