American Airlines

"wouldn’t fly with American ever again"

Trip Verified | Flew Savannah to Minneapolis via Charlotte. Our first flight was so delayed that our second flight was cancelled for us. American Airline was supposed to call us back within the hour. They never called so we went to the airport only to find out 2 other American flights were cancelled/delayed. Big mess! The agent in Savannah said hotel vouchers would be waiting for us in Charlotte. Not true, as there was a line of about 100 people waiting to get vouchers and the gate attendant said there were no rooms available in Charlotte anyway. I wouldn’t fly with American ever again!
RouteSavannah to Minneapolis via Charlotte
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"6 year old has to sit by herself"

Trip Verified | Lawton to San Francisco via Dallas. I booked all my tickets at the same time months ago and we the airline refuses to give my family seats together? A 5 hour flight and a 6 year old has to sit by herself? The airlines solution is that we have to beg someone to switch with us?! It's a full flight.
RouteLawton to San Francisco via Dallas
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"they wouldn’t let me switch"

Trip Verified | Hartford to Grand Rapids via Philadelphia. Canceled flight and because they had a flight 23.5 hours later available they wouldn’t let me switch to another airline due to their 24 hour or later rule. Took me over an hour to get hold of anyone in customer service and when I spoke to a supervisor in Dallas he literally just kept quoting me their policies and wouldn’t even talk to me. What kind of customer service is this airline using?!
RouteHartford to Grand Rapids via Philadelphia
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"they were not able to help in any way"

Trip Verified | American Airlines customer service is extremely hard to contact and when I spoke with someone, they were not accommodating at all. I made the mistake of booking out of the wrong city and was willing to go on stand by. I was flexible with dates and times but they were not able to help in any way. I wasn’t able to get on any flight with a confirmation of a returned flight home with my reservation number. I didn’t feel cared about at all and will go back to continue my business with United. Although UA is a little expensive at times, they’ve always treated me well and their service in or off the plane is exceptionally professional. I may be out $400 and won’t be able to visit my family this year but I now know I can’t rely on this company in the future.
RouteSan Francisco to Peoria
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"really don’t care about you"

Trip Verified | I don’t know if it is their business model or just my bad luck but American Airlines seems to try to make the flying experience miserable. I regularly fly Southwest and there are never any problems. They have wrecked my family vacation for a second time in three years. Last time they didn’t have a plane and I had to sue them. This time all we wanted to do was get together with the family in Jackson hole Wyoming and they’ve done everything possible to destroy the trip. It is now five hours after the plane was supposed to go off and I’m going to have to spend the night in Dallas. Whatever you do don’t fly American Airlines. They really don’t care about you.
RouteDallas to Jackson Hole
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"last time I fly this company"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Austin. Flown with American many times and none of the flights were ever spectacular but they got the job done. Not the case this time around. I had a flight time set for 4:05pm which got delayed to 5:30pm. I understood because it was due to weather. So here’s how my situation comes into play. My original flight was supposed to arrive in Austin by 9pm and my girlfriend (who lives in Austin) and I had Valentine’s Day dinner plans, which we delayed due to my flight. Now as I write this it is 6:15pm and I’m sitting in the airplane as it sits at the gate still in LA and our Valentine’s Day is completely shot. No explanation as to why we’re not taking off, no assistance on how to get a refund, little support all together. I know American Airlines is considered a mid tier service provider but with this experience and the mediocrity of so many previous experiences this will be the last time I fly with this company until I receive an apology. It’s downright rude to ignore your customers the way I’ve been ignored. Especially, since I was always calm and understanding and remained patient as I was passed along from one employee to the next. All I wanted was an explanation and an apology for the delay. Neither of which I received.
RouteLos Angeles to Austin
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Do not call customer service"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Dallas Ft Worth. My flight was delayed due to smoke in the flight control room. The plane was redirected to another airport. When I landed in Dallas I called customer support to help me get on a flight. The gentleman I talked to was very nice. He told me about flights I could get on and told me he placed me on "standby." I then ran from terminal to terminal to try and get on this flight. When I got to the desk the american airlines desk told me I was not on the list for "standby." I called customer service back to ask why I was not put on "standby" he told me his computer told him I was on "standby." I then missed that flight that had open seats available because the agent did not tell me I was not on "standby." I was added as a request to be put on the flight. Which the team outside the plane could not see. The agent at the desk then looked into why I wasnt on "standby." He then found he had to remove what customer service placed on my name to allow me to be put on "standby." This then put me one name away from getting on the next flight. After not being able to make it on that flight I thought customer service should know about what happened. I talked to a service agent that dismissed everything I told her. I ask to then speak to a supervisor. She did not treat me with respect or listen to what had happened. She only wanted me to know that policy said they did everything right. She also said she didnt know they had to explain that when the agents put you on "standby" it's not actually "standby." As a customer who flights often I assumed the airline would want to know how to better improve there customer service. She did not find this as a priority. The supervisor then was rude and nothing, but negative against the customer. I hope this review can help other individuals who are stressed that their flight is missed. Do not call customer service - they do not help only tell you how you failed as a customer. I only wish to be told the information needed as a customer.
RouteChicago to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"never to use AA ever again"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Jackson hole. The state of WY shut the road down to Jackson hole airport due to snow fall and wind. I called to see if they could help me adjust my flight by one day and they wouldn’t do anything for me. I am being told I need to purchase another ticket to get home. If the state shut the road down how do I get to the airport? The fine is $1000 if you travel the road. Thanks a lot AA! I will make sure the company I work for knows never to use AA ever again.
RouteChicago to Jackson hole
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"probably never fly American again"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Ontario. I been waiting for hours in the airport with absolutely no communication as to why our plane is late the service is 100% horrible probably will never fly American again should’ve known from last time because this is like a repeat offender
RoutePhoenix to Ontario

"Worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Denver to Phoenix. Agents at gate A53 was very rude to customers continuously. I arrived early and was just waiting near the gate and could not believe how the agent's would speak to customers. me being one. I will not recommend American Airlines to anyone. I am a senior citizen and required a wheelchair because of medical reasons not being able to walk long distances, the person transporting me was very rough had to take pain meds after arriving to my gate. The staff need customer service training. Worst experience ever.
RouteDenver to Phoenix