American Airlines

"it’s customer indifference"

Not Verified | The flight to Charlotte was fine. But the last leg to Knoxville was cancelled due to weather. The next plane was cancelled and the one after that was two hours late and full. The customer service in this situation was woefully inadequate. “ phone the number on this blue slip and they’ll sort a hotel for you “ they said. Nope. Google it yourself and sort out your own hotel is the reality. 19 calls later I found a hotel at $200 at 2am. It’s not “customer service”, it’s customer indifference. I have to fly back to the UK soon and I am dreading it, given what happened to me.
RouteLondon to Knoxville via Charlotte

"Absolute worst airline"

Absolute worst airline I have ever flown with. Was supposed to fly out of Columbia on 6/24 with a layover in Washington, flight got delayed and would cause me to miss connecting in Washington. Got rebooked on a flight to Chicago which also got delayed causing me to miss the connecting. Flew out at 6am of Columbia to Washington the on 6/5, got on to plane to head to Boston and we all had to deplane that flight was then cancelled and delayed until 10am, then 2:05pm, then 4:36 pm. Would give 0 stars if possible.
RouteColumbia to Boston via Washington
Date FlownJune 2019

"treatment has been appalling"

Trip Verified | Providenciales to Chicago via Charlotte. This is the first review I have ever written. We had a girls trip planned to Barcelona for 5 days, for our direct flight, without much explanation, our flight was delayed 5 hours and cancelled. American offered us "food vouchers" if we went online, had no options to rebook us that weren't 4 days away ( thats the whole trip), and were extremely rude in the process. We made lemons into lemonade, cancelled our trip, and went to the only place we could go last minute through American for 6 people, Turks and Caicos. On our flight back out of Charlotte, we were delayed 5 hours and the flight was cancelled. Zero Reimbursements. Zero Help. They wont help with hotels, food, or rebooking. We got ourselves on now a connecting flight tomorrow and have to sit up all night at the airport waiting. Everyone has been rude, no vouchers, no reimbursements. Luckily I have all night to write reviews ( go big or go home once you start I suppose). I would NOT fly American, I have been a loyal customer for years, and this treatment has been appalling. Fly United or Southwest.
RouteProvidenciales to Chicago via Charlotte
Date FlownJune 2019

"This one stop was nightmare"

Trip Verified | Our flight was from Ottawa to Miami with one stop at Philadelphia. This one stop was nightmare! It is unacceptable the way my sister and I were treated by AA staff at the Philadelphia airport. Our flight was delayed 45 min from Ottawa to Philadelphia. when we arrive to Philadelphia AA staff send us from one customer service office to another one, refusing to help us. Then from one gate to another one... needless to say the airport is huge and we walk the Whole thing hoping to get some assistance... At one gate a customer service rep told us, "you have your seats on the next flight to Miami, I want to print it but my printer is not working... please go to gate XX the flight will be leaving soon" What a big lie! when we finally arrived to the gate where the flight was leaving, we found out we didn't have seats! I explain to the customer rep that our flight with AA was delayed 45 min, so we lost our connection flight from Philadelphia to Miami (with AA), we need to be in Miami today. Could you please put us on the next flight to Miami? if AA does not have flights going, could you please put us on a flight with another company. She answers the next flight its tomorrow at 3:00 pm.
RouteOttawa to Miami via Philadelphia
Date FlownMay 2019

"never fly American Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Oklahoma City. American Airlines is the absolute worst airline I have ever flown. They canceled all flights to our city for weather when there was no weather in either the destination, the departure or in between. They did not have any flights the next day. he previous week, after they changed our flight with no explanation and bumped us from the first class seats we paid for, they refused to offer any help or refund our money. As a result of the vast quantity of cancellations from AA the car rental places in DFW no longer offer one way rentals because it is too expensive to get the cars back from the destinations. The only response I have received on any of these issues is that they can’t do anything because it’s out of their hands. They do not care about customer service in anyway. Every staff member was so rude, not helpful and just had zero interest in doing their job. I will go out of my way to never fly American Airlines ever again. They get a 1 because you can’t even give them a zero rating.
RouteDallas to Oklahoma City
Date FlownJune 2019

"fed up with American Airlines"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Lynchburg. We were on our way home to VA from CA. When we were waiting to take off from CA the pilot came across the intercom and said that we were going to be late because we were waiting on some other folks who were late to the gate to board. Because that family was late the whole plane was late to get to NC. And myself and several other passengers missed our flights. I just don't understand what was so special about this family you can hold a whole plane and ruin everyone else's flights. Now we have to sleep on the floor of the airport. We won't be able to go back to our jobs tomorrow and missing a whole day of work is a big chunk of change. I don't understand is why were we set up on a flight that was scheduled to land at 940 and have a connecting flight that also starts boarding at 940. This same thing happened to me last year at the same time. I'm fed up with American Airlines.
RouteCharlotte to Lynchburg
Date FlownJune 2019

"American Airlines is awful"

Trip Verified | Memphis to Cancun via Charlotte. American Airlines is awful! This is 2nd year in a row had major issues. Last year computer system went down. This year we boarded , sat down and told to get back off because damage to plane. They knew this before we boarded! No connections to destination left. Customer service agents for American were rude and did not care. Didn’t even bring snack, waters until 2 hours later. Over a hundred passengers stood in line for over 2 hours and then they moved us again to different gate twice to go nowhere. Long story short ruined a family vacation and most people could not get where they were going unless 2 days late. We had to get refund for our family trip! Makes you wonder how well they maintain their planes. If I can avoid will never fly them again. I’d give them a 0/10 but must pick 1/10!
RouteMemphis to Cancun via Charlotte
Date FlownJune 2019

"will not fly with them again"

Not Verified | Our flight was originally from Tulsa to Dallas to Ft Myers, 12 hours prior they cancelled Tulsa to Dallas flight with no explanation. We call, set on hold from 9:00 pm to 12:00am only to be hung up on 3 times. They finally call back at 3am after we had come to the conclusion we would have to drive 5 hours to catch connecting flight in Dallas. Their solution was to move us from Monday to Wednesday flight. What! So we just miss two days of our trip? We tell them no we will just drive to Dallas and that we want compensation. They tell us to complete travel and then they would. Lie! We call them back again and find a flight out of Oklahoma to Dallas to Ft Myers which is two hours away. So we start our trip with no sleep, two tired kids, and driving two hours away to catch a flight. They could care less. Then 12 hours before our flight home the cancel flights and we have to drag two kids through 4 connections to get home. Then drive two hours in. They will not compensate. They say it was weather but nowhere in our path was there bad weather. However all over the news it was announced they downed hundreds of flights due to mechanical issues. I will not fly with them again!
RouteTulsa to Ft Myers via Dallas
Date FlownJune 2019

"worst ever possible experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | My flight Chicago to Newarkwas delayed for more than 2 hours. After take off for 10 minutes, the captain announced that the plane had a fuel leakage and we were turning back to ORD. We had to deplane for an inspection. As a replacement aircraft needed to be located, the flight was delayed for another 3 hours. We boarded the replacement plane. After the boarding procedure was complete, the captain announced the right front tire needed to be replaced and we needed to deplane again. After we go off, the flight got delayed for another 3 hours to 9pm. At this point, I have had enough with this ridiculous nonsense, so I rebooked my flight to AA 1652. AA 1652 delayed to 7:25pm. It was originally scheduled for 6:30pm. The ground staff at the gate said she would inform me if my checked baggage made it onto this flight after everyone had boarded, but she NEVER got back to me. Very irresponsible. When I got to LGA, the ground staff first told me my bag was on the plane, but later on said it was still on AA 1834 to Newark as my bag never appeared on the baggage belt. They informed me that the baggage could be delivered throughout the night, so I provided them with my hotel address. After AA 1834 landed, I called the AA baggage hotline and they told me the complete opposite. They said the baggage will have to be delivered the next day. I have had enough of this nonsense and I needed my suitcase the next day for an important meeting, so I took an UBER to pick up the baggage myself. When I picked up my baggage, the zipper was open and taped together loosely with AA tape. I've been using this suitcase for more than 3 years and this is the FIRST TIME it has popped open with the zipper head still locked. I wonder how in the world AA handled my baggage. I sent a complaint to AA to be compensated for my two UBER rides. The first one to my hotel (as I assumed my baggage would be delivered to me) and the UBER round-trip to pick up my luggage. I also asked to be compensated for the 10 hour delay. I was originally suppose to be in Newark by 3:14pm, but I ended up getting to New York at 10:56pm and having to pick up my luggage at 1:39am in the morning. I did not sleep till 4am. AA is a stingy airline and only compensated me with a $100 transportation voucher. I have had the worst ever possible experience on AA.
RouteChicago to Newark
Date FlownJune 2019

"sleep in the airport floor"

(Puerto Rico)

Trip Verified | Miami to Pensacola. Flight was canceled due to weather. They made us wait more than 20 hours for the next flight (originally was going to be about 26 hours) and they did not provide us any type of accommodation. We had to sleep in the airport floor. When it was finally time to leave we had issues yet again. They almost did not let us board and they ended up taking people out of the plane to let us in. (We had priority since we had reserved our seats and they were stand by). Horrible experience. I understand it's not the airline fault that the weather was bad, but the least they can do its provide us with a place to sleep since we had to wait a while day to be able to leave. Also the people that were stand by had been in the same flight at us and have been waiting the same amount of time and they made them leave the plane after seating them down.
RouteMiami to Pensacola