American Airlines

"Most unprofessional at informing passengers what is going on"

Not Verified | Most unprofessional at informing passengers what is going on. Delays for no reason, and no respect towards the passengers. If I can make it to work in time everyday I'm sure an airline can be on time even after we pay for our flights ahead of time. Really unprofessional and full of disrespect.
RouteDallas to Mexico City
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"No responsibility, no empathy, no desire to help fix it"

Trip Verified | This review deals specifically with the customer service, for lack of a better word to call it. American Airlines cancelled my trip as was reported to me through the Card Service I used to book the flight. Trying to figure out what was going on, I called the card service company and they said the flight had been cancelled and there was no other flight American Airlines could give me. They said I should call American Airlines directly as they have access to more routes and flights and may be able to help me. So I called American Airlines, and this is where the story takes an absurd turn into some alternate universe where American Airlines believes they have complete control over you and your travel. The first person I speak to listens to the situation and tells me to call the card company. I told her I did and they said to see what American Airlines could do. She proceeds to repeat the following to everything I say, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience. It is part of the terms and conditions you agreed to." And that is it, over and over and over. She had absolutely no desire to help, no empathy for having destroyed an epic family vacation in the works for nearly a year, the travel visas, the hotels, the events, the internal flights within Vietnam or anything at all. No responsibility, no empathy, no desire to help fix it, and no communication other than, "I already said I was sorry for the inconvenience." I told her it was unacceptable and I wanted to speak to her supervisor. So she said she would have to put me on hold for 2-5 minutes. I said fine. She then came back 6 times after that saying, I need to put you on hold for 2-5 minutes. I'm pretty sure she was hoping I'd go away. The Supervisor gets on the phone, ready for a fight apparently. As soon as I explained that American Airlines had cancelled my flight, she said, "I am sorry for the inconvenience, but we did not cancel your flight. A flight can only be cancelled 2 hours before the trip." So apparently American has very specific words they use when speaking with customers, and want to be sure you realize it. I realize now that we're playing word games. I take her completely stupid response and break it down for her. I say, "Let's take this one step at a time. Did you or did you not cancel my flight." She responds, "No." I said, "Great, then please tell me when my flight is taking off and when it lands in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)." She says, "that flight is not scheduled to go to Saigon." I said, "Was it scheduled at some point to go to Saigon?" She said "yes." I say, "And now it is not scheduled to go to Saigon?" She said, "No." I ask her, what do you call it when you schedule a flight and now it is no longer scheduled?" She responded, "The flight is delayed." I said, "Great, when is it delayed until?" She responds, "Indefinitely as it will not be flying." At this point, I'm trying to maintain composure. I don't know if American Airlines trains their agents to be this obtuse, or if it is just these two people. She was cold, uncaring, lacking any empathy whatsoever. They offer nothing for putting you through having to completely revamp your vacation. Cruel, inhuman, policy.
RouteLos Angeles to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"a Premium experience was delivered"

Trip Verified | Contrary to many reviews here I had a very good experience despite “Covid” cutbacks a Premium experience was delivered. A decent meal plus a continental breakfast before landing was served by a very gracious crew. The seat and amenities were very good. Of course no welcome drink and disposable cups are a deficit and no one believes the Covid excuse anymore but in general a very positive experience.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteKona to Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"customer service and flight attendants are horrible!"

Not Verified | The worst experience ever! Our flight was from Miami to Fresno with a connecting flight in Dallas. The flight from Miami left late which made us late to our connecting flight. The plane left us! We were put on different planes back home because they didn't have enough seats for all of us on the same flight until the next day! All we got was a “sorry”. Even our new flights were delayed! Their customer service and flight attendants are horrible! Never flying through this airline again!
RouteMiami to Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"never fly American Airlines again"

Not Verified | Horrible operation. American Airlines made me check my carry on bag, against my will. I had fragile and expensive items in the luggage. I was assigned the last boarding group, and they made everyone check their carry on bags in my group without consent. When I told them I had fragile and expensive items in the luggage, the lady told me she is happy to book me with the first flight out tomorrow morning. (I was on the last flight out) I had to get back to work the next morning, and it wasn't an option to fly out the next morning. I had to get on the flight. Upon boarding, I saw minimal 15-20 empty spaces in the overhead compartment. They could have easily fit everyone's carry on luggage there! I would never fly American Airlines again.
RouteChicago to Seattle
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"no options for changing seats"

Not Verified | We booked 6 months in advance. They changed our flight from one way to a 7 hour connector. Ok, I get that. It's about logistics and $$. They also split us apart on seating. I did ask and was told, no options for changing seats. I just witnessed the young lady standing to her right change seating for 5 people. I was then told my mask wasn't good enough because it did not fit tight enough to my nose. All while I'm looking at the women's nose enforcing the Covid rules. Maybe she was having a bad day. I sure was!
RoutePortland, Maine to Chicago, Illinois
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"they got paid twice for the same seat"

Trip Verified | My fiancé, his father, and I were set to attend a wedding of a family friend. At the last minute his father was unable to attend. Since his father hasn’t traveled in over 20 years getting a credit on a future flight seemed worthless so we just left his ticket open and figured we’d use his seat as extra space since we paid for the seat. After the first flight, the airline canceled his Fathers ticket and resold the seat that we already paid for, we didn’t get a credit or anything, they unilaterally canceled and resold it! So they got paid twice for the same seat.
RouteWest Palm Beach to Kansas City
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"I will Never fly American"

Trip Verified | We were traveling to Belize for Vacation and were at the airport 3 1/2 hours before our flight but the airport was packed with travelers, we stood in line after finally finding where international began. As the time got closer to our flight we kept stopping Airport employees that were pulling people out to get them checked in in time that had flights to the Dominican Republic and explained we were going to miss our flight and we heard multiple times no you will be fine. Well we weren’t, we were 15 minutes late to the window and were told it was less than a hour before flight. We tried to change to a later flight that day, no help there. Then we finally booked another flight on American to Cancun that we paid for separate from the flights to Belize because we wanted/ needed a vacation and there were no other flights to Belize until 2 days later and we were told we might not get on those. So we have called American Airlines, emailed American Airlines requesting a refund since it was not our fault we missed the flight it was the debacle we experienced at the airport that day with the Airline. We have been told several times we would get a refund then would not receive, then told again if you have to do this to get a refund.. still no refund. All of this is included in the notes American Airlines has on our account, this was back in June 2021 this process started still we get emails saying we can’t get a refund due to the type of ticket we had but it was not our fault for missing flight. I will Never fly American again my husband currently does not fly with them after this incident and he flies weekly for work all over the nation.
RouteCharlotte to Belize
Date FlownJune 2021

"I would fly with them again"

Not Verified | We didn’t have any issues with flight delays. We had to fly to LA first and than to Hawaii. Seats weren’t too bad, there was a charging port at each seat and enough leg room where you didn’t feel too cramped. I think everyone should get a whole can or water bottle, do away with the cups but besides that it was good. The flight from LA to Hawaii was kind of fun because the flight attendants were in Hawaii clothes and seemed excited to be flying us there. I would fly with them again.
RouteSan Jose to Kona
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"they wouldn't put me in a hotel"

Trip Verified | The pilot on our flight from San Diego to Dallas on Flight 1939 didn't want to fly thru a storm so he delayed our flight causing 1/2 the passengers that had connecting flights from Dallas to be missed. I had to sleep in the airport because they wouldn't put me in a hotel. Very uncomfortable since I have just had surgery on Monday.
RouteSan Diego to Dallas Ft Worth