American Airlines

"never fly American Airlines again"

Not Verified | After finding the gate to get on the plane, they changed the gate. This happened four times. I had to walk back and forth several times. They also changed my seat, and it was not social distancing for the COVID-19. plane was almost full and I was assigned to sit next to a stranger. There were a few seats open in the back that were empty. I will never fly American Airlines again.
RouteDallas Fort Worth to Boise
Date FlownJune 2020

"A very unhappy customer"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Quito via Dallas / Miami. The worst airline in the world, not only they advised me to book with them when I asked them if it was ok due to covid, to find out once I booked that I won’t be able to transit through the USA due to virus, so I was misled, I fortunately was able to cancel flight within their 24 hours policy cancelling, even after I was advised after another member of staff that I should think about it, I didn’t trust so I cancelled yet I was left waiting for over ten days to get my money back and only did so because I filed a complaint through my credit card company, I emailed their customer service to be lied on a daily basis that my money would be there, the next day. They’re a terrible company that makes you feel conned, even after it was one of their staff’s mistake, they have the worse customer service, I’ve ever encountered and then I was made to feel they were doing me a favor to return my money, without any compensation, costing me thousands of dollars as I now left my booking to last minute, why can’t they simply return the money straight away, it’s clear they make money off it. A very unhappy customer.
RouteAmsterdam to Quito via Dallas / Miami
Date FlownJune 2020

"spend our day waiting in LAX"

Not Verified | SDF to DFW was delayed because the plane struck a bird on arrival. This caused me and my girlfriend to miss our connection to Portland. They made up for this by booking us a flight to Phoenix. No connections, just a flight to Phoenix. I can only hope they intended to purchase a complimentary house in our name. After reaching out to customer service, we were told the only way we could travel home together was if we stayed overnight and took the first American Airlines flight to LAX, and then they booked us an Alaskan Airlines ticket to PDX from there. We made it to LAX, but got rejected at boarding for our flight to Portland because I was given a boarding pass with no actual ticket. After LAX staff sent me all over the place not knowing where their own airlines were, American assigned us another Alaskan flight, for 8 hours out. At the time of writing, I'm still waiting. We had to stay overnight at a hotel in Dallas, and now we have to spend our day waiting in LAX for a flight. Next time, I'll book Alaskan. God help anybody who dares book American.
RouteLouisville to Portland
Date FlownJune 2020

"would not refund my ticket"

Trip Verified | American Airlines is not concerned about COVID-19. I had a fever the day I was supposed to fly so I had to cancel my ticket because of the rules of the airline (British Airways) that American Airlines had scheduled for me to travel back to the States via London Heathrow. The British website clearly states do not board if you have a fever. I therefore cancelled my flight 4 hours before boarding the BA flight to LHR. American Airlines would not refund my ticket. What this clearly shows is I show have traveled with a fever! I am out over $1800 because American Airlines prefers to make money rather than worry about the health of their passengers.
RouteNice to Miami via London / Boston
Date FlownJuly 2019

"packing these planes to the max"

Not Verified | First of all don’t think because of the pandemic that there is any social distancing. They are packing these planes to the max. Middle seats and all! Secondly they say they’re requiring masks on all flights. But does wearing a mask under your chin or with your nose sticking out count? It sure does! In fact most of the people on the two flights I took wore them mask under the nose, under the chin, or not at all. And not once did the stewards say something.
RouteJacksonville to Reno
Date FlownJune 2020

"sell my seat at a higher price?"

Not Verified | I was notified by email less than 24 hrs before I was to board my flight that read "We're excited to confirm we processed your refund application today". One thing wrong with that is that I did not cancel the flight. The rep I spoke to could not give me an explanation as to why they cancelled my flight. But he did offer to rebook me and don't you know there was only a First Class seat available for $1300. So the question becomes about the integrity of the American Airlines, did they sell my seat at a higher price? If I was to answer that question I would have to go with yes.
RoutePortland to Knoxville
Date FlownJune 2020

"unable to use our airline credit"

Not Verified | We had booked a flight for our honeymoon for June 2nd. The airline canceled our flight and without giving us any options, gave us airline credit. However, we have so far been unable to use our airline credit. It took over 5 hours to get someone on the phone because we couldn't use it online, only by phone. Now, they are "checking the policy" to see if we can even use it. This is a complete scam and we want our money back.
RouteAlbuquerque to Dallas via Detroit
Date FlownMarch 2020

"does not care much about Covid-19"

Trip Verified | It is obvious to me that American Airlines does not care much about Covid-19. The flight from LAX to ORD was overbooked. Which to me is beyond comprehension, an overcrowded plane in Corona era should be outlawed but at least not-done by the airline itself. No respect at boarding either. They just let the groups pile up. Other airlines I’ve flown in this corona time we’re all considerate in that aspect: paced boarding and seats left empty. So far SouthWest has been the greatest at that. The flight from Dallas to Amsterdam: same thing. Worse here was a crew that didn’t bother wearing facemasks and didn’t enforce wearing facemasks on passengers. Crew had a swell time talking to each other without masks. I asked the crew what had been done to sanitize the plane when arriving. They couldn’t tell me. I have to fly for work, sometimes international. And I had to keep doing that during this Pendamic. Many airlines are respectful and considerate by providing space and hygiene. Not American. I’ll never again will fly American.
RouteLos Angeles to Amsterdam via Dallas
Date FlownJune 2020

"never fly American Airlines again"

Not Verified | I paid approx. $1100 for roundtrip flight FLL to ANC and did not want to pay additional for seating so my wife and I were assigned seats away from each other. I called the airline to change seats but the request was denied multiple times and was hung up on multiple times even though they say that the flight was half full. My flight is tomorrow 6/4/20 and I will be sitting next to my wife whether the airline approves or doesn't. I will never fly American Airlines again and I would suggest that none of you do either. Good luck American Airlines - you'll need it.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Anchorage via Dallas
Date FlownJune 2020

"I feel like I was lied to"

Not Verified | I am a Chilean student living in the UK. I got a ticket from London to Santiago with a connection in Miami (MIA). At the airport, I was not allowed to travel because of US restrictions. The main problem with this is that I called American airlines several times (before and after buying the ticket) and during the calls, I asked if connecting through the US was possible, and every time they said there should be no problem, they said they checked in the computers. Later I had to stay in a hotel near the airport, as I was left with no solution and on my own at Heathrow. I thought this would be temporary, but the next flight to Santiago was 2 weeks later, so I had to pay £800 more than expected. I asked for a refund of the £1123.00 the ticket cost to me in order to cover the hotel and food expenses, but they said this was not possible as my ticket was not refundable, but that I could use the value of the ticket with the company. I am not interested in travelling with American at any time soon, but the money would be more useful as now I and my family are struggling monetarily because of this. I do not get why they sold me the ticket in the first place, as it was known I could not travel. I know the countries’ restrictions are very confusing, but that is why I asked, as an airline, they deal with this every day. I feel like I was lied to so they could get money from me
RouteLondon to Santiago via Miami