American Airlines

"recommend flying any other airline"

Not Verified | They delayed our flight due to "engine issues". Then they got another plane for us, that also somehow has engine issues. They also said they were looking for a crew, but why when we just had a crew on our original flight. They kept delaying the takeoff time. They did this about 5 times, and 8 hours after the original flight was supposed to leave, they canceled it. Then they basically told us we could rebook at the counter or get a refund. I believe that that second we got off our original plane they knew we would not be taking off. When looking out the window at the second plane you could see nothing was being done to the plane, no luggage being moved, no refueling, and no maintenance being done. They gave us a $12 meal voucher as an apology, but at 10pm at night most of the places to eat were closed. The line to rebook took us 2 hours to get through, we were toward the front. The flight they were able to rebook us on was a total of 21 hours due to long layovers. We were flying to Germany for a wedding/reunion and now because of the flight being canceled we would no longer make it there on time. It also cut our trip short by a full 3 days. I am extremely upset. I haven't seen my family for over 6 years, and this airline ruined it for me. I have a friend that works for American and she basically told me when staff is low, they cancel flights and claim "engine" trouble as the cause. This seems to be very true, and the total disregard for people returning home or getting to where they need to be is truly awful. Why would a flight get booked without a crew. It makes no sense. This airline has really scarred me from flying. I will never in my life fly American again and I will pay more if I have to, to fly on better more reliable ones. I know covid caused staff shortages, but this is not the first time me or my family have had issues flying with them, even prepandemic. I would really recommend flying any other airline.
RouteDallas to Frankfurt
Date FlownJune 2022

"We have no idea when we'll get home"

Not Verified | Will never fly American again. Didn't alert us until one hour before the flight that they had no staff so the plane wouldn't take off until 4 hours after scheduled time. They tried to reroute me to Charlotte to get to San Francisco - I refused. They booked another flight to Phoenix - had to wait 5 hours there for a connection. Then there's no pilot for the SFO flight. I paid $850 for the ticket. We have no idea when we'll get home. Unbelievably unprofessional. Unbelievably incompetent. How are they still in business? I'm not a fan of United, but will do everything in my power to not ever take American again.
RouteIndianapolis to San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2022

"Don't fly with them if you have a choice!"

Not Verified | I have been blessed throughout my 22 years of life to have had the privilege to travel a good amount. I've flown Emirates, Jetblue, Delta, Air France, KLM, Virgin, Turkish and more. I have flown with American Airlines a good bit and I can not remember the last time I flew with AA and didn't have a delay, cancelation, baggage lost, poor customer service and more. Most recently, I've had every flight delayed, as of right now 5 flights delayed in the last three days, and one canceled. This weekend is busy for Airlines but this was also my final straw with American. Something needs to change in the customer service realm but also in the operations department. Flights delayed because the catering department hasn't supplied the plane yet? Oh and it's a third party catering! I'm done, American Airlines is the only airline I find myself having issues and delays every time I fly with them. Don't fly with them if you have a choice!
RouteHouston to Lynchburg
Date FlownJune 2022

"very unprofessional and very rude"

Not Verified | I checked in on my phone, just as instructed, drove all the way to airport and because they didn't receive my check in, they refused to allow me to take my original flight and forced me to take a later flight. After I went through the process of getting to the terminal, the original flight that I was supposed to be on, was literally still waiting to board for over 30 minutes, they were paid for my seat, so there is no excuse. I will never fly with American Airlines again, very unprofessional and very rude, if I could rate 0, I would.
RouteOrlando Florida to Charlotte NC via Ashville NC
Date FlownJune 2022

"fail to understand why we were bumped"

Trip Verified | We found out the day of that they rescheduled our flight to 4:00 pm from 1:00 pm. If I knew this was the time I would’ve cancelled the flight and scheduled with someone else. The original flight time is still in service, but the lady said I couldn’t get on the flight because there were no seats available. So we checked our bags and went to the gate and asked the lady there and she said since we checked our bags we cant get on the flight even though seats were available. They did not comp us for anything and I completely fail to understand why we were bumped when they still have the 1:00 flight.
RoutePortland to Knoxville via Philadelphia
Date FlownJune 2022

"horrendous experience we have had"

Not Verified | This is the first, and will be the last time I fly with American Airlines. The tickets were outrageously expensive. The only reason we bought them was because they were the only airline going to Kentucky during the time we needed to be there. My husband and I have said that if that’s the case in the future, and AA is the only one going, we won’t be going to the event and will happily miss it to avoid ever giving this company our money or time in the future. A couple of weeks before our flight they emailed saying our first layover went from two hours to 6 hours. On the first flight, the flight attendant was very rude. She told me I had to put my carry on in the overhead bin. I explained that it was made to fit under the seat, but she told me it needs to go above. I started getting it ready to put it up there and she shut the door on the overhead before I could stow it and walked away… ok, so I put it under the seat. And it fit perfectly fine, just like it has on so many flights before. I had a cup with water and ice that I was finished with and asked her if she could throw it away for me. She said no! I couldn’t believe it. I put the cup in the seat in front of me. I fell asleep, we were on a red eye flight. The cup ended up spilling and got all over myself and my husband. Our flight on the way home was delayed, so we ended up missing our connecting flight. They only let us know that 1 1/2 hours before the flight. We could have stayed with our friend if we had had a heads up. Instead of sitting at the airport for 20 hours. We were told they put us on the 8am flight, with 2 stops before we got home. But turns out we weren’t .. we were on the 8pm flight. They put us in a hotel which was kind of helpful. We decided to go with another airline to get home the next morning. When I went to the ticket counter to tell them to cancel our flight she informed us she could get us on standby at 9:30, or regular booking at 11:30. Both have now been delayed. They’ve already told me they don’t know where my bag is and will call us when it arrives in SLC. I called to express my frustration with the airline and see what was going on, and why so many problems. The manager didn’t care at all. She didn’t even say sorry for the inconvenience. She was completely monotone and said they would not do anything to compensate me since I still took the flight. I usually don’t write reviews, or complain about employees, this is only the 2nd review/complaint I’ve ever written. But I felt it necessary because of the horrendous experience we have had. I want to warn others about this airline and save them from having the experience we’ve had. Needless to say we are delusional and exhausted from the run around, changing of gates, times etc. We could have driven home faster, and I’m fully regretting not doing that at this point. Save your time, money and sanity and do not book with AA. And btw, we had three friends fly out of Kentucky with AA this weekend and they all had similar experiences. Two of them had to drive to another airport and pay $1,000 each because of the runaround AA puts their customers through. Never again from us, and I hope you don’t support this company either.
RouteSalt Lake City to Louisville,
Date FlownJune 2022

"how stressful this experience has been"

Not Verified | I flew out of Indianapolis on 6/12/22 with a carry on, a personal item, and a checked bag. I arrived in DC with just the carry on and personal item. I was not informed my checked bag was not on the plane until after landing. I was given a file number and told it would be delivered to my Airbnb later on 6/12/22. It was not. Attempted to locate someone at American Airlines to talk too, could not find a good number on 6/12/22. I did send a DM on Twitter and was told my luggage was on a flight to DC now. The information given was for a completely different flight then I was told previously. Was able to get a confirmation the bag was found and would be delivered by 6:30pm on 6/13/22. It was not. The information stated it was pending pick up, with no contact information. Still no update on 6/14/22 and I am flying back to Indianapolis on 6/15/22. I was finally able to speak with Americans Baggage department at Reagan and they gave me the contact info for the delivery company. Delivery company didn’t answer on my first few attempts at contact. I was finally able to speak with someone and they confirmed the delivery company had my bag. I was assured it would be delivered either late at night on 6/14/22 or early in the morning on 6/15/22. The driver would give a phone call when they were on their way. No call has been received. I called the company again and the person I spoke with said she couldn’t find record of my bag. Long story short, after a few hours of searching it was still at the airport. I was able to pick it up as I was returning home. I can’t properly put into words how stressful this experience has been and how disappointed I am in this airline. There has been no offer of compensation or compassion regarding my lost luggage. American Airlines has failed this passenger and I will not be using them again. I highly encourage other travelers to use a different airline.
RouteIndianapolis to Washington
Date FlownJune 2022

"can’t handle the simplest of tasks"

(Algeria)

Not Verified | I missed an entire wedding reception thanks to these losers. They cancelled my flight and pushed it to the right by a day. Fine. But I called to make myself whole again (reimbursement for class discrepancy, hotel voucher, rental car go an additional day) the whole nine. I sat around on hold for over an hour while my friends and family danced the night away. I thought I was doing the right thing by taking care of it right away. But I guess they (American Airlines) didn’t see it that way. If you value precious moments that you’d never get back if you missed, do not fly this airline! They can’t handle the simplest of tasks. As of this writing, I’m still waiting on hold.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteSalt Lake City to Portland
Date FlownJune 2022

"was beyond rude as well"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. The lady checking our boarding pass was very rude and another lady that came around to check open seats was beyond rude as well. Never again will I be flying with American Airlines.
RouteTampa to Dallas
Date FlownJuly 2021

"The entire crew was stellar"

Not Verified | The flight from Lafayette was delayed due to thunderstorms. The Captain did a wonderful job of keeping us updated and presented with both humor and attention to detail. The flight and terminal crews were very helpful in guiding passengers in procuring alternate flights. One young passenger became very tearful and anxious. Our flight attendant, Jacqueline, was amazingly comforting, compassionate, professional, and helpful. She is a true asset to AA! The entire crew was stellar!
RouteLafayette to Dallas