American Airlines

"Totally spoiled the holiday"

Not Verified | Puerto Rico to Heathrow via Charlotte. American Airlines planes are great, shame about the staff. Very rude to passengers, when you ask a question you will be told: “I was actually on my break"! Food was not great for a long flight. Totally spoiled the holiday, I will avoid in future.
RoutePuerto Rico to Heathrow via Charlotte
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"customer service is trash"

Not Verified | Worst customer service. When we got to Punta Cana airport my partner asked the attendant in the front desk if we could change the seats. This is already annoying as months back when we booked the flight, we chose seats together. They said the flight was full so they wouldn’t be able to do that. We notice the entire four rows of the back of the plane were empty. Once doors closed we asked again one of the flight attendants if we could sit together on the empty seats, she rudely responded no. Let’s not forget this is almost a four hour flight were they offer you nasty cookies and to top off the flight attendants were incapable of serving drinks without spilling them. The attendant spilled ice all over the side of my arm and another lady got a whole soda spilled on her. American Airlines step up your game. You already have one of the most uncomfortable seating accommodations for planes and to top it off your customer service is trash.
RoutePunta Cana to Boston
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"plane is late every time"

Not Verified | Charleston to Washington. This is, time and time again, the worst airline I have ever been on. Not only is the staff extremely disrespectful, the plane is late every time. For the past 7 flights I have unwillingly taken with American, every one has been delayed. They are unprofessional, not punctual, and unaccommodating. The only positive thing about American Airlines is that they are cheaper. I do not recommend this airline.
RouteCharleston to Washington
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"mishandle every simple detail"

Not Verified | Indianapolis to Palm Springs via Dallas. This is not a review of a specific flight. It is about the company’s complete lack of customer service. I have been flying American Airlines my whole life and it is appalling how they mishandle every simple detail of what it requires to make your experience at least bearable. The website is unintelligible. My husband is dying of cancer and they said it would cost $2200. to transfer his 168,000 miles to my account. I have now been on hold for 20 minutes trying to book award travel.
RouteIndianapolis to Palm Springs via Dallas
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"These people don't care"

Not Verified | Cedar Rapids to Miami. Left Cedar Rapids on the 6:50 am flight, spent 45 minutes at the check in counter with a lady that was incompetent. Barely made to the gate in time to get on the plane. Got to Charlotte and boarding passes were all screwed up. spent an hour at customer service desk trying to get tickets fixed to get on the next plane. Barely made that flight and got to Miami and they told me they forgot to take my bag off the plane. Told me they would get hot right away and deliver it to the hotel. When I got to the Hotel and told the counter gal that they would be bringing my bag she laughed and said AA is the worst, they see this at the hotel all the time and that they probably would never deliver my bag. Checked and AA said that it was picked up by a driver at 3:27 and I would have it by 7:27. Checked at 7:30 and it said that it was picked up at 7:27 and I would see it by 9:00 pm. Called the 800 # and they had a terrible attitude and said I should see it within 12 hours. Said the driver probably had a medical Emergency. Stay away. No regard for customer service. These people don't care.
RouteCedar Rapids to Miami
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"trip of contrasting flights"

Trip Verified | London to New York JFK. A trip of contrasting flights - outbound was rammed full. I was sat in the middle aisle of 4 and the experience was sub-Ryanair. Zero space, zero comfort. As compensation IFE was good. Food was dreadful. Return leg, much lighter load and I secured the economy travellers’ holy grail of 4 seats to myself - economy business come on down! I got this flight very cheaply on a basic economy basis, no bags, no seat selection. I would have paid to choose a different seat, but non-US credit cards are not accepted on the app which is a bit rubbish!
RouteLondon to New York JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"made to check in my hand luggage"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Los Angeles. I was made to check in my hand luggage for no apparent reason in a rude and unprofessional manner! Their planes are old and the service below zero. Never fly with them.
RouteSan Francisco to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"Milwaukee to Cedar Rapids via Chicago"

Trip Verified | Milwaukee to Cedar Rapids via Chicago. My son flew home from college in December then back to college today. Both times were with American and both times we had issues. When he flew out of Cedar Rapids there was a huge delay because of mechanical issues, which caused him to miss his connecting flight in Chicago, so instead of getting in at 8pm he got in at almost midnight. This time on his way out of Milwaukee they overfueled the plane causing a delay making him miss his connecting flight in Chicago. When he got in to Chicago the American Airlines employees would not help him. They gave him the latest flight to Cedar Rapids meaning he has to sit around for over 8 hours. Not his fault that again they messed up and had issues. They didn't offer him vouchers for food or try to get him on a different airline to Cedar Rapids. When Customer Service was called by me, they wouldn't help. A simple call to get my kid taken care of in some way. Such a hassle for literally a 30 minute flight. Plus I had to sit on hold for over 30 minutes waiting for them to answer. We will not use American Airlines again.
RouteMilwaukee to Cedar Rapids via Chicago
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Infuriating"

Trip Verified | The absolute worst. Had a connecting flight from Dallas, Texas to Narita, Tokyo. It was originally delayed because of some cart issue that couldn’t push the plane away from the gate. Then delayed due to a paperwork issue. Then delayed waiting for the mechanic to come on board to check the nose wheel so the aircraft was safe for takeoff. Then cancelled because the forward landing gear was damaged and wasn’t safe to fly. The staff was less than pleasant to the passengers, and they couldn’t rebook any passengers at the counter until we arrived in Narita past 10 pm because no flights depart Narita past 10 pm. So now this results in overnight in Tokyo because connecting flights aren’t even available. Every time I’ve flown with AA I’ve had either 5+ hour delays or cancellations. This is one of the most atrocious airlines I’ve ever experienced, and I’ve been a flier with AA for the past 10+ years. I’m done with this airline for the rest of my life. Infuriating.
RouteDallas to Tokyo
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"My whole experience was pathetic"

Trip Verified | Peoria to Dallas with American Airlines. This airline allows 50 pounds maximum on each bag. My one bag had 45 pounds while the other had 53 pound.s They could have allowed this bags. But I was told to transfer 3 pounds to other bag to balance the 50 pounds. It took me 5 min and I have to miss my flight. I had to wait for 9 hours for next flight. Mean while my original flight was day before and got cancelled due to bad weather. My whole experience was pathetic and due to their baggage policy it got worse. I always go for Southwest, but they don't come to Peoria.
RoutePeoria to Dallas