American Airlines

"I'm not flying with AA ever again"

Trip Verified | So many things wrong, but here are my to 2. 1) I got an update at 6 am before my flight that my terminal had changed at Punta Cana, it hadn't. I almost missed my flight. And 2) The flight from Punta Cana landed today September 3rd at 11.32am, my next flight to Boston? At 9.30pm! Almost 10 hour layover. In the future I'm not flying with AA ever again.
RoutePunta Cana to Boston via Miami
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"Pretty good service"

Not Verified | Pretty good service. To make this clear, I am a minor and used the UNMR (the service for minors traveling alone). The flight attendants from LIM-MIA were a bit strict, but eh. It happens sometimes. The room where I was in was great, and the attendants were also quite nice. The next two trips (other than a nerve-wracking delay) went fine, and I was moved up to the top-tier seat at the final flight (granted, it was a 30 minute flight but they had a lot of amenities for that). Food was decent, but the IFE had something to wish for, mostly because there was little to no IFE onboard the two flights that would be expected to have.
RouteLima to Peoria via Miami & Chicago
Date FlownAugust 2021

"Shame on their customer service"

Not Verified | The flight had smoke in cabin and immediately landed. Emergency Crews boarded and tended to plane. All customers were at closed Atlanta airport with no open restaurant for hours. 2 hour line to rebook hotel/flight with only 2 people working to rebook. Eventually we flew out later that night and got home at 3am. They gave some of my coworkers $175 vouchers, but after sending email to customer relation, they gave me zero credit. Everyone had same experience on plane - however they don't treat customers equal. On top of that you can only reach Customer relations by email - you CANNOT talk to them on the phone. Bottom line - if something happens with your flight, you roll the dice on email to get it resolved after the fact. Will not ever trust this Airline again. Shame on their customer service.
RouteDallas to Birmingham via Bedford
Date FlownOctober 2020

"it was a mistake trying you"

Trip Verified | I had a rather unpleasant experience with this airline. One simple cancellation, due to a storm, and their Charlotte hub information desk was understaffed and hopelessly overcrowded with stressed customers. I waited my turn, for nearly two hours, to ask whether they could provide any accommodation, and they turned me down. My online request was met with indifference. Not okay, AA, it was a mistake trying you.
RouteSan Francisco to Philadelphia via Charlotte
Date FlownAugust 2021

"I had $1900 out-of-pocket expenses"

Trip Verified | I had $1900 out-of-pocket expenses American is refusing to reimburse me for. I have been a customer of American Airlines (AA) for many years; I hold a Premium AAdvantage Card (with over 110K points) and I also hold an Admiral's Club Card as well. On 8/14/21 I was on vacation with my family (wife and two children) returning home. It started off with the flight from Savannah to Charlotte. We were supposed to depart at 12:43pm, with a connecting flight to Boston at 3:02pm. The flight kept getting delayed (and terminals moved) and we did not take off until almost 2:45pm (Already missing connecting flight). On top of that, the aircraft had a poorly working ground Air Conditioner (87 degrees outside; did not work well in the air as well). We were then diverted to Willington NC due to a ‘pop-up’ storm. We sat on the tarmac for over 2 HOURS with no ground A/C. Finally, they moved us to a terminal; where we sat for another 3hrs. We then attempted to get a secondary flight home (since we missed our connecting flight) and we were given the “OPTION” of flying back to Boston 2 ½ days later, which would be the ‘earliest flight’ for four people. To make it home on-time for work, we booked with another airline (4 tickets). We finally took-off and got back to Charlotte at 10pm. American Airlines gave us no information when we landed, nor was there anyone to give us direction after landing so late. We rented a hotel room and paid for an uber to/from the hotel. (We also had to pay for additional day of parking and a day of kennel for my dog after finally making home). This mistake of American Airlines cost me in total $1,900.00 because of the original delay of flight (weather was fine up until our LATE landing point). I filed paperwork online with AA Customer Relations. I was contacted by AA customer relations (after two weeks after putting in a ‘complaint’ and request for reimbursement) and they informed me that “Only the hotel would be reimbursed; we do not cover other ‘out-of-pocket’ expenses, since they offered me a flight home 2 ½ days later.
RouteSavannah to Charlotte via Boston
Date FlownAugust 2021

"cheating hard working people"

Not Verified | So I get to the airport in Santo Domingo two hours ahead of my flight and am told I need a negative Covid test to renter the US. My bad, I didn’t know this, so I went to get one in the airport. The flight was at five in the afternoon and I got back in line at 4:15. There were five people ahead of me, all bound for Miami. The problem was there was only ONE person working the AA counters. There were four others standing around doing nothing, including the AA priority person who had zero people in line. I spoke with him and the manager. The manager kind of gave me the “yawn” attitude. By the time I finally got to the one person working your counters she said it was too late to board. It was 4:35 pm. Then she said she would get me on a flight the next day. After leaving me at the counter for the better part of ten minutes while she went who knows where she finally came back and said I would need to pay $672 to get on the flight the next day. That’s almost twice what I paid for the entire trip, Norfolk to Santo Domingo and back. Here’s the thing. I could have made the flight, AA sold my seat to someone on standby and then wanted me to pay $672 to rebook. I called AA later after being stranded and got the same story, $672. On the phone I was told those are not AA employees. Well, then they have imposters posing as AA employees in AA uniforms with AA name tags working the AA counter in Santo Domingo. These people are dishonest, bordering on criminals, cheating hard working people…
RouteSanto Domingo to Norfolk via Miami
Date FlownAugust 2021

"Very disappointing American Airlines"

Trip Verified | Our experience with American Airlines was not the best as we thought it would be. This was the first time that American Airlines has charged us 90 dollars for each checked bag and we could’ve used those 90 dollars for a taxi because that was our only source of money that we had for our trip. On our first flight to our layover wasn’t bad but disappointing because of the fact that the seats weren’t cleaned at all, the airplane was old, and they only offered us some cookies to eat on that 4 hour flight! On our second flight once again the seat wasn’t cleaned and they have only gave us cookies and water which was very poorly of them to do when they charge us a lot for our flight ticket. I believe that they should start thinking of upgrading their food options. They don’t even offer a tv for economy class and they just mostly charged us a lot of money for almost everything. Very disappointing American Airlines.
RouteNew York to Quito via Miami

"Worst airline ever"

Not Verified | Worst airline ever. We were delayed for two hours because they didn’t bring the plane. For two hours they couldn’t update us and kept pushing back our board time. There was no reason for this. Also none of the staff were wearing their face masks properly. Save yourself the anxiety and use a different airline!
RouteChicago to Boston
Date FlownAugust 2021

"I was treated unequally"

Not Verified | This will absolutely be my very last trip on American Airlines. It is worth the extra few dollars to fly with Delta, a reliable, consistent and customer service focused airline. Prior to my departure today on flight 2612, I spoke to an agent at Bradley Airport about getting seats changed for my Atlanta flight because my husband and I were not seated together. She advised that they would do it at the Charlotte gate and that the flight had plenty of open seats. Once I got to Charlotte, I approached the counter at the gate to inquire about available sets since my husband and I were not seated together. Instead of there being a response and/or acknowledgement of NY inquiry, the agent simply ignored me. She never looked up and never acknowledged my presence. However, a pilot and several crew stepped up to the right for her to board and to the contrary, she very politely greeted and giggled with them. Finally, after roughly 2 to 3 minutes passed, the agent finally asked if she could help. I then asked if there were exit row seats because we are tall and were happy to pay. She said NO, that there were none. She said that there are other seats to switch us to at a fee. I advised that I was ok with the fee. She then charged me $20.11 for one seat and $26.75 for the other. I was fine with this. If we could not have the legroom because there were not exit rows open, at least my husband and I would be seated together. However, upon boarding the plane, not only did I see many, rows of open seats but also that there were open EXIT row seats on rows 17 and 18 - though she told me there were none. I then went on to see the flight attendants moving passengers at no cost to the many open rows. A woman was moved up to the empty rows in sections 18abc. Another gentleman was moved up to the empty rows of 19def and many others. My obvious concerns are 1- That I was ignored for 3 minutes at the counter by the agent. 2 - That I was told that there were NO exit row seats open and there were. 3 - That I was made to PAY for seat changes, when other passengers were given the option to move at will and at no cost. 4- That this agent was aware that the flight was not full, yet made no attempt to accommodate my move. As mentioned earlier, I spoke to another agent who advised me to make the change at the gate. She said there should be absolutely no issue with my request, as there were "plenty" of open seats. Long and short of this review is that I was treated unequally. I am livid!

"we were very satisfied"

Not Verified | I have been flying American for two decades and am aware of the frequent criticism. My wife and I recently flew to London on American on then on Zurich on British Air. We returned from Amsterdam to Philadelphia on American with a six hour lay over for our flight on Boston also on American. I would say that consistently American employees, whether checking us in, at the gate, or on the aircraft were helpful and friendly. Because of a leg injury my wife required a wheelchair, which was always provided with a helpful assistant in each location. Business class over was fine, and my choice of dinner was excellent. Breakfast was also good. On our return flight from Amsterdam to Philadelphia, we were comfortable in premium economy, found the choice of movies interesting, most of the attendants helpful. particularly in trying to remove the entertainment control from its location in the arm. The food was fine, the ice cream snack mid-flight was a nice touch. The staff in the Admirals Clubs were always cheerful and helpful. It may be true that dissatisfied fliers are more inclined to write a review, but we were very satisfied.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER