American Airlines

“it has been nothing but a headache”

Not Verified | First time flying this airline and it has been nothing but a headache. First arrive at Columbus airport to find out the flight is delayed. Make up time in the air due to the fact most of us have a connecting flight in Charlotte, NC. We arrive with 30 minutes to get to my connecting gate, at least I thought. Sat on the tarmac for over 30 minutes waiting for a gate to deboard at. Once we get the ok to move to the gate, my connecting AA flight has already taken off. Go to AA desk and the next flight is the next morning. They give me a hotel voucher and a 12.00 meal Voucher (that’s enough to buy a water) I have to wait 2 hours to get my bag back that they made me check due to the flight being a valet plane. I get to the hotel and it is so disgusting. The carpets in the hallways had several huge black stains, elevator was broke, no breakfast, the stench in room. Now today I fly back and what do you know my flight is delayed. I have 10 min to catch my connecting flight in Dallas. We shall see how this goes.
RouteColumbus, OH to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2024

"Customer service is next level rude"

Trip Verified | Without a doubt the worst airline I fly with. I travel weekly for work and normally have to fly American Airlines per my company's request. Customer service is next level rude. Almost never have a flight where they don't mess up my check bags one way or another. Only airline I've ever seen that seems to purposely treat Retired Military like second class people. If they can't make an extra dollar off you they will absolutely do everything they can to get out of helping you in any way.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Phoenix

"disrespectful unorganized people"

Not Verified | After 2 delays due to plane issues they make up time in the air (great job) the we land and sit on the tarmac for 45 minutes. Due to a piece of equipment from the nose of the plane. We have to go through customs then get bags this took 25 minutes then we run to recheck in and the lady says we have to stand in line like everyone else there is literally 45 people on this flight being delayed to board the next flight. We were on 1723 from Cancun to Miami and we were supposed to be on 2552 from Miami to New Orleans. No one that worked for America Airlines even tried to help us in Miami. Sad cause I’ve have seen airline put these people up front so they can make there flight American did nothing but stand in line. This line took us over an hour. I would be embarrassed to say I worked for America Airlines at this point and chances are I will not fly these disrespectful unorganized people again.
RouteCancun to Miami via New Orleans
Date FlownJune 2024

"Is this the new normal?"

Not Verified | No service. Unrecognizable food on the vegetable tray. Had to beg for coffee which was cold. Attendant was solo but never came around when seated or after meal, and sat out of view texting on phone. Is this the new normal?
Seat TypeFirst Class
RoutePhiladelphia to Phoenix

"Total nightmare"

Not Verified | Total nightmare. My flight home was canceled after standing in the airport for over 8 hours with no updates. After they announced the cancelation, they then told us that we were on our own finding accommodations and that they were not giving vouchers. There were hundreds of passengers tossed on the streets of Providenciales to fend for themselves. I ended up paying $1200 for 1 night at a local resort, the only thing many of us could find. They told us at the airport that we would need to foot the bill then claim it. Then they wanted me to sit in Philadelphia waiting 8 hours for my connecting flight which was originally to take me to Buffalo NY. Well, after they rescheduled my flight, they wanted me to sit in Philly all day then fly to Charlottesville, NC to spend the night. That would have caused me to lose a 2nd day of work due to this fiasco. There were no vouchers offered so I would have had to pay for another hotel and transportation in my own. I finally made it home 2 days later. I am still fighting with this irresponsible airline to reimburse me for my accommodations in Provodenciales. They did this to hundreds of people and have shown no concern for making this right. I will never fly with them again. They lied and treated us terribly.
RouteBuffalo to Providenciales
Date FlownMarch 2024

"yet to receive a call or replacement bag"

Not Verified | AA damaged my bag on 11 May when I arrived in Indianapolis from Austin, Texas. I retrieved my bag from the carousel and noticed it was busted on top. I took it to the customer service desk and they took my bag and gave me a case number along with a phone number to call after a week if no one had contacted me. I waited almost two weeks before calling. I spoke with a Rep about my bag replacement and they kept asking me to provide a receipt of purchase for a bag I bought over 9 months ago and to take a picture of the bag that was turned in to customer service. Then I was told someone from AA would reach out to me. Need I remind you my bag was damaged on 11 May and I have yet to receive a call or replacement bag since then.
RouteAustin to Indianapolis
Date FlownMay 2024

"Avoid this airline at all cost"

Trip Verified | Will never fly American Airlines again. Flying from IND via LAX to SFO. Checked in 24 hours before departure, all flights were shown as “on time”. On the day of departure, waking up to an automatic rebook to BOS, then to JFK, then to SFO a day later. Without any indication what we needed to do at JFK for 10 hours! Had to call a real agent, and after 29 minutes, the agent rebooked us onto Alaska airlines, arriving midnight. Yes we arrived at SFO at midnight instead of early evening. Now flying out of SFO back to IND via ORD. After security clearance, the flight status indicated a 23 minutes delay, then 25. Boarded, but they were not in a hurry. Still staying at the tarmac. Our flight from ORX to IND has a 50 minute connection time. Now we are going to miss the connection. The crew has no intention of closing the door. This is incredible. Will see what happens. After more than an hour the captain came online and told all that he could not fly because he’s clocked out and tired and safety was number 1, so he cancelled the flight. No ground crew is available so we were stuck on the airplane. Calling American’s 800 number and because I’m shown as in air, she was not able to rebook. Finally deplaned and waiting in line for the counter agent while calling. The agent on the phone can’t find any flight and asked me to wait at the counter. Not much a movement at the counter after another hour. After 2.5 hours the gate agent booked us on a different airline for tomorrow morning. I have to call out the rebooking agent. He was very helpful. Thank you David. Avoid this airline at all cost. Their senior management team needs to resign or cut their pay to compensate their crew.
Aircraft737
RouteSan Francisco to Chicago

“Do NOT fly AA”

Trip Verified | American Airlines is an 8.8 billion dollar company that can’t figure out how to function. I fully believe there needs to be an investigation launched. They never get flights off the ground on time. They strand passengers in foreign countries. They cause people to miss work and sleep and do not care. Their staff are grossly underpaid and it shows in how uninterested they are in doing their jobs. They cost me two days of earned wages and left me with a pinched nerve in my neck. They told me to contact customer service for which I was on hold for SEVENTEEN HOURS. Do NOT fly AA. It is not worth it and they do not deserve a single penny more until they can pay competent staff. Pay a little more and actually get to your destination. I lost more money than I saved because of American Airlines.
RouteLiberia to Charlotte
Date FlownMay 2024

"never fly with this airline again"

Not Verified | Flew from Richmond to Charlotte headed to New Orleans. When I got off the plane, I realized I left my purse and told the attendant. She just stood there looking stupid. It took one of the oncoming Flight attendants to help me get them to check. Checked the wrong seat came back and said they didn't see it. Was adamant they check again and they found it. Flight from Richmond to New Orleans was delayed from 9pm to 5am! Asked for a full refund because I would miss my event. They did refund my money, put me in a roach motel and gave me a flight returning back home the next morning at 7. Morning Flight was delayed again. The customer service of the staff at the Charlotte Airport is trash! I will never fly with this airline again. Could use some refresher train for the crew at this location. Was headed to a memorial but due to the lack of organization of the crew, I would have missed it. Thank you American!
RouteRichmond to New Orleans
Date FlownJune 2024

"have never been so disrespected"

Trip Verified | I am an Active Duty Soldier and have never been so disrespected in my life. I flew from Atlanta to Dallas to pick up my son for the Summer. Our flight from Dallas back to Atlanta was suppose to departed at 1237 however, the flight kept getting delayed. I asked why the flight kept getting delayed and they said staffing. Around 1900 (almost 7 hours later) they cancelled the flight and lied and said it was because of weather. I asked for a hotel and food voucher and was told the flight was cancelled because of weather and that's not American Airlines fault so they won't give a voucher for anything. I explained to them I was told numerous times the flight was delayed because of staffing and they said I was lying. I asked to speak to a manger and she came and stated, "I will not talk to anyone on the Atlanta flight" and called the police. I asked to retrieve my son's bag and they said no I couldn't get the bag because it's too much work on the ground crew to give everyone their bags. I was rebooted on a flight for 1921 (7:21pm) the next day. I asked what am I supposed to do with my son in the airport for over 24 hours with none of our stuff and a staff member told me to be a better father. American Airlines refused to compensate the passengers for canceling the flight because they didn't have the staff for flight and lied and said it was cancelled because of weather. I spent so much money on feeding me and son (bored and tired of being in the airport) and had to spend $123 on a minute suite for 8 hours so my son felt safe while we slept. This is ridiculous and worse airline and customer service I ever experience. I understand things happen but assume responsibility and don't make your paying customer suffer. I will never purchase my own American Airline ticket.
RouteDallas to Atlanta