American Airlines

"crammed on there like sardines"

Trip Verified | I was ridiculed by a sales rep for being over-charged for a flight that was their screw-up, requested to speak to a manager, and the agent told me "they dont have that option." I filled out a request form. And the "complaint manager" finally picks up on the issue, then writes this lengthy email to me about how much she cares and would like things straightened out, yet was unable to do anything. I found a flight with reasonable layovers to some odd start/end points, and then immediately noticed it was operated by AA. Turns out, a friend was on the same second leg, so I just opted to do it. I had a question about my boarding pass that was printed without a seat assignment. No one was at the counter in the airport until literal boarding time. Even the captain was standing there waiting! The employees and management hardly take mask-wearing seriously. Half are without, yet its programmed in the speaker to enforce it. The staff also has no problem directing you to wear one. My first flight, we were told how careful AA was being, enforcing social distancing, separating seats, and not flying at capacity. I'll say they had me fooled. As soon as the next flight was crowded and overbooked, we were crammed on there like sardines. We were then instructed to board and de-plane following directions to enforce social Distancing. Nothing was ever said about it after that statement. The whole flight spring up, and tried to mass-exit, flailing around as usual. I've flown with multiple carriers my entire life. From budget Spirit to business class Emirates. This airline continues to disgust me and continues to allow to spread its arms wide open for the plethora of terrible reviews directed into its lap. It's like they are proud to maintain the status of "worst airline." Looks like I need to practice my social distancing from this operation altogether.
RouteBaltimore to Charlotte
Date FlownJune 2020

"when I was boarding they screamed at me"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Dallas Ft Worth. I bought the most expensive ticket for first class then when I was boarding they screamed at me to go for the coach line because I was in priority, I went to the line that they said but they never apologized for their mistake. Later in the plane they were trying to send me to the back and I had to show the lady that my seat was 2E. First time that I have that inconvenience with an airline. That’s really disgusting. I hope to finish my trip without any more issues with this unprofessional staff.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteSan Diego to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownJune 2020

"lack of enforcing social distancing"

Trip Verified | I rarely write reviews but, I will never fly American Airlines again. I am very uncomfortable with their lack of enforcing social distancing practices. It is a completely full flight and I am sitting all around people I don’t know. Multiple people are “wearing” face coverings with their noses out! Face coverings don’t work if your mouth and nose aren’t covered. At the gate, several people around me were not wearing their masks all. And they did an incredibly poor job when calling group numbers to board. They called numbers together causing people to “herd” next to each other trying to get on the plane. There was no mention of the airline having cleaned our seats and surfaces. I flew Jet Blue yesterday and it was 100% different. They left middle seats open. Ensured passengers had their face coverings on and informed us wash individual set and surface had been cleaned.
RouteLos Angeles to Boston
Date FlownJune 2020

"poor display of social distancing"

Trip Verified | Appalling is not strong enough to express the disgust at the poor display of social distancing on American Airlines today. I reluctantly decided to travel during this pandemic, but was assured the travel industry would be flying at 50% capacity to allow for social distancing between people even with masks! Needless to say, it was a full flight, with no chance of moving to another seat because there were none that wasn’t wedged next to another human! Even my connecting flight was jam packed. Never will fly American Airlines again.
RouteSeattle to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownJune 2020

"We are jam packed in here"

Not Verified | This is horrendous - the plane is completely full despite being told they were only selling a portion of their flights during COVID-19. We are jam packed in here and they still didn’t even consider loading the plane rear to front in order to minimize the flow of people walking past each other. I am appalled that the airline behaves this way and if it wasn’t important that I board this flight I would have walked away. This is disgusting and shows the true colors of such an airline. You say you care about passenger health and wellness (let alone that of your staff!) and you pack us all in here. Reckless and disgusting. I will never fly American again - pandemic or not.
RouteLos Angeles to Hartford via Dallas
Date FlownJune 2020

"Will never fly American ever"

Not Verified | We were a family of 4, two adults and two children who bought are tickets early and reserved our seats. However on check-in we discover that our five year old is assigned a seat to sit by herself 3 rows ahead. On calling American we were told that that we need to ask at the gate. At the gate we were told to ask the passenger who was assigned the seat. Unfortunately, the young man refused. I think it was really irresponsible of American Airlines to have done that. It was my first time flying American and Will never fly American ever.
RouteNew York to Sacramento via Dallas
Date FlownJune 2020

"good job AA for a decent flight"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to Cancun. Flying business class during this COVID-19 crisis was definitely different. Overall it was an uneventful a little bit over three hours flight. The plane was only at 20% capacity however business class only had one seat available, luckily for me it was the seat next to mine. The only service you get now in business class is a pre-boarding snack bag and one nonalcoholic beverage during the flight. AA advertised this flight as having WiFi however that was not the case. The plane was very clean and it still had the US Air logos in the galley. Lots of legroom and a pretty decent chair. Make sure you download your own entertainment to avoid disappointment once on board, there’s no more screens on your seat or anywhere for that matter. Check in at Philadelphia airport was very easy, the flight was uneventful, the in-flight crew was very courteous, there’s nothing negative to point out as these are challenging times. AA got me to my destination on time, safe and the experience onboard was fine for the times we’re living in. I think we can all agree that the fun days of air travel are long gone, however good job AA for a decent flight.
AircraftA319 EOW
RoutePhiladelphia to Cancun
Date FlownJune 2020

"the worst trip I have ever had"

Not Verified | This was by far the worst trip I have ever had. Like American Airlines have no clue what social distancing means in this pandemic. There was absolutely no social distancing on any of my flights. I was told that the planes were unable to book at 100% during the pandemic? I was told wrong. I sat next to 2 ppl 1 was a little girl whom was coughing and sneezing with no mask on because kids aren’t required to wear one.This was an extreme health risk. The price is not worth me getting sick over had I knew they were performing at 100% capacity I would have never booked.
RouteNew Orleans to Miami
Date FlownJune 2020

"observing zero social distancing"

Not Verified | I’m sitting here in my middle seat on a flight to NYC on a full plane and I just want to know one thing. What reality do American Airlines live in? Where do they get off filling a plane completely, observing zero social distancing guidelines and putting every single customer and staff members at greater risk while spouting that “your safety and well-being has always been our highest concern.” I beg you, for the good of all the people who are quite literally putting their lives and future in your hands. Put your overinflated profits and egos aside. This virus is still here. You cannot pretend that it isn’t. Do better.
RouteLos Angeles to New York
Date FlownJune 2020

"I would not recommend them"

Not Verified | AA advertised extreme latitude in editing, changing, or canceling tickets amidst the health situation going on in the US. I went to change the backside of my ticket and approximately 45 days prior to the flight and they were staunch about not editing anything and were not helpful at all regarding any options. I would not recommend them to anyone who needs any sort of flexibility or who wants customer service that actually cares about your situation.
RouteMemphis to Dallas