American Airlines

"I’ll fly again for sure on AA"

Trip Verified | As a frequent flyer I’ve accepted that the days of inflight service, crew friendliness, and space on coach are long gone. While in the midst of a pandemic American Airlines took me from point A to point B, 45 minutes ahead of schedule and safely, I got a small bottle of water, a mini pretzel bag, one hand sanitizer wipe and a whole lot of legroom on seat 23F. (See pic below) Great seat in that A321 seat configuration, I highly recommend spending the money for it, there’s no one in front of you, plenty of legroom, and you don’t feel that cramped in a coach American Airlines cabin. There’s really nothing negative to write, taking into consideration how the industry has been changing and the current state of affairs of the travel industry. Good job, I’ll fly again for sure on AA.
RoutePhiladelphia to Dallas/Fort Worth
Date FlownApril 2021

"I was stuck in security"

Trip Verified | Airline closed flight before departure time and I was stuck in security. I made it to the gate 5 min before departure time and they just say oh well. To have the plane waiting on the tarmac. When you have a customer waiting in security, and no one in the airline would tell my gate that I was there. No willingness to even look at my face.
RouteMiami to Atlanta
Date FlownApril 2021

"unwilling to do anything at all to help us"

Trip Verified | Buyer beware. Read the fine print before you fly this airline. Then don’t! My family and I purchased tickets from American Airlines to go for a Spring Break trip to Cancun, Mexico, leaving on a Saturday and returning the following Saturday. On our return flight through Charlotte, NC our flight was delayed on the ground for 30 minutes in Cancun. The airline only gave us 1 hour and 10 minutes to clear customs and make our connection in Charlotte, so due to the 30 minute delay, we missed our flight. When we inquired about another flight, we were told that American Airlines had no available flights until Tuesday of the following week! This was on a Saturday, so we were going to need to stay three nights in a hotel in Charlotte before they could get us home on Tuesday. My wife and I both work and our son is in high school, so there was no way that was going to work for us. We asked them to book us on another airline, they said they couldn’t do that even though all of the other major airlines had flights available the next morning. We asked if they could give us hotel and food vouchers, they said they couldn’t do that either, as it was against company policy and that we should have read the fine print on our tickets. Below is American Airlines official policy on delays (the fine print) “While it is certainly our goal to operate each and every flight as planned, we have the responsibility to make changes to our schedules to resolve problems caused by weather, flight conditions, mechanical difficulties or other operational challenges. Accordingly, it is not an airline industry practice to assume financial responsibility for our customers' personal time lost or for out-of-pocket expenses when extenuating circumstances prevent us from operating as planned.” In other words, they are not responsible for any delay, regardless of the reason, and they are under no obligation to take any measures to get you home in a reasonable amount of time. The fact that American Airlines could not find the capacity to get us on a flight for another three days from one of their hub airports, is ridiculous. The fact that they were completely unwilling to do anything at all to help us (and the 30 other passengers that were on the same delayed flight as us) speaks to how American Airlines values their customers. Which is not at all. We wound up booking a flight ourselves the next morning on Delta Airlines at the cost of $720 and staying a night in Charlotte for another $120 plus a meal. We are fortunate to have the resources to do that. Other members of our original flight were sleeping on the terminal floor when we left. One final comment, then I am putting American Airlines out of my mind for good. The next morning, we received a call from Delta Airlines telling us the first leg of our flight was delayed and that our connection in Atlanta was going to be very tight. They suggested that we switch to a flight through Detroit that would “get us home earlier and would be more comfortable for our family”. They also upgraded us to Comfort Class to make up for the inconvenience. That is how a real airline takes care of their customers.
RouteCancun to Cincinnati via Charlotte
Date FlownMarch 2021

"didn't get to my destination on time"

Not Verified | Worst experience for a first time flyer. I booked flight early and didn't get to my destination on time. The plane broke down and it was several hours later before we got to Charlotte from RDU. And American airlines stated they couldn't do anything to compensate me for not being able to get me to my destination on time. Very disappointed and will choose another airline in the future. Unbelievable. And they supposed to had provided pretzels and water. That wasn't provided at all. No TV on no plane and the wifi I couldn't use.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Charlotte via New Orleans
Date FlownMarch 2021

"Worst experience ever"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever. Flight out of Dallas Fort Worth delayed 1 hour, maintenance issure, ok can understand, 20 minutes into flight told we were diverting and landing in Oklahoma City, all got off plane (this is at 10:30 pm), told it was a windshield issue, ok, it took them 3 hours to let us know or just heard it word of mouth through other passengers we were not leaving for 10 hours (this was at 1:30 am, basically a closed airport at this time), was offered a voucher for hotel, I made the decision to stay at the airport and find another flight, which I did, flew out at 8:00 am with Delta. Never again will I fly with American Airlines. I totally understand the maintenance issue, but not to be updated properly as to what was happening and the option that was given to us to fly 10 hours later was not acceptable for me. Do Not fly American Airlines.
RouteDallas Fort Worth to Milwaukee
Date FlownApril 2021

"The worst airline by far"

Trip Verified | The worst airline by far and this is coming from someone who has been around the world several times. As I write this, been stuck for 4 hours on the ground in a small airport in Montrose, CO because they could not get a hold of their mechanic to solve a trivial issue. Restaurant is closed, snack bar is closed, many families stranded here for hours and American has not offered one person a bottle of water. Disgusting company that only cares about themselves, never again.
RouteMontrose to Dallas
Date FlownApril 2021

"Once again, American airlines disappoints!"

Trip Verified | Once again, American airlines disappoints! After boarding into the airplane, they tell us we have to wait an hour for a "light that needs maintenance". Then, 40 min before arriving into Lima, they tell us that due to a "communication" issue, the airport is "closed" and they need to reroute us to another Ecuador. Once we land in Ecuador, they tell us that they are taking us to Lima but we ran out of fuel so we have to wait for American Airlines staff to get to the airport from home, because they are not on site. we were in a full flight (no social distancing) for an extra 3.5 hours during a pandemic. To make matters worse, when I call to change my return flight, they tell me I need to buy another flight, because I bought economy, when it clearly said on their website that they offer free change of flights. So they want to charge me 700 usd to buy another return flight when I explained I had a medical reason to change my flight. Pay the extra bit of money and save yourself the nightmare! American airlines customer service does not care about customers.
RouteBaltimore to Miami via Lima
Date FlownApril 2021

"Worst airline to fly on"

Trip Verified | Worst airline to fly on. So disorganized. Sent us onto the runway and no one knew where to go since they had 2 flights walk out the same door. All on our flight were in line for the wrong flight because they did not have people there to tell any one where to go. I don't recommend flying with them. They overbook and have too many flights coming in at once so that you get to sit on the plane over 30 minutes going nowhere. Which then makes you run to your connecting flight. And of course they do not provide drinks or food and since you get off your flight late you cannot get food on the way. So for 10 hours you starve.
RouteLas Vegas to Pensacola via Miami
Date FlownApril 2021

"agent was rude and condescending"

Trip Verified | Our connecting flight was a few minutes late. We got to the gate about 15 minutes early. The agent was rude and condescending and didn’t try to help.
RouteCharlotte to Boston
Date FlownApril 2021

"There were no smiling faces or mask to hide their frowns"

Trip Verified | There wasn’t an empty seat flying out of Savannah to Charlotte nor from Charlotte to Las Vegas. I now know to get more details about flights before booking because we didn’t have chargers for our phones on either flight. By time we got to Vegas our phones were dead. All ticket agents between Charlotte and Vegas were excellent due to the fact my husband needed assistance. The flights were nothing special and there might as well not be flight attendants at all. There were no smiling faces or mask to hide their frowns.
RouteSavannah to Las Vegas via Charlotte