American Airlines

"worst flying experience"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Fayetteville. This was the worst flying experience I have ever had. Delays on all flights, did not seat any of us together. Flight attendants were mean, as we had 2 kids that had never flown that had to sit with complete strangers. I have always flown Delta that accommodates your needs. I decided to try American and learned that was a mistake. I spent 1200 on tickets that was gonna be a nice 2 day weekend, but spent most of it at airports and separated from family.
RouteCharlotte to Fayetteville
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"never travel with them again"

Trip Verified | Athens to Philadelphia. I was informed my tv did not work. This has happened to me at least three times before. I was the last one to bord the plane instead of me boarding first. They gave me a hand held one and it took a couple of hours for it to work. When I got back home I called customer service and it took three different times of me calling to get them to give me some kind of compensation. They kept on giving me a phone number to call them back that did NOT work. Finally they gave me a $250 voucher that expires in a year. I paid a lot of money for this ticket for the experience and they blew me off with $250 dollars. The stewardess on the plane was very nice and understanding. Customer service is another story. This airline sucks. I will never travel with them again.
RouteAthens to Philadelphia
Date FlownAugust 2019

"really needs to do better"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Syracuse via Charlotte. There is always an issue when you fly with American Airlines! Since my son’s initial flight at LAX is delayed, he will definitely miss his connecting flight at ORD. Therefore he will most likely miss the important event he was trying to attend in the first place. When my son asked for an alternate flight, he was not even helped at American Airlines customer service; instead he was given a phone number to call and make the new travel arrangements himself. When he called, the service representative told him he would have to wait overnight and take a flight out 24 hours later. These flights that we have previously paid for months in advance, are usually cancelled or postponed, especially on the return flights. It definitely seems like false advertisement when an airline promotes and sells seats on flights for specific dates and times, and then cancel, only so they can cram as many passengers together on one plane as possible. And to make matters worse, my son’s luggage has been loaded on the plane that he cannot even take. We are “told” that he can pick up his luggage when he eventually arrives at his destination, whenever and wherever that is! Airlines such as this one rarely live up to their promises, and they aren’t the least bit concerned in how they greatly inconvenience their passengers. American Airlines really needs to do better by their passengers.
RouteLos Angeles to Syracuse via Charlotte
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"has lowered its quality"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Seattle. The company has lowered its quality over the years. Last time, they changed our flight unexpectedly. At that time they assure that there was a management issue. Then they came to say that the reason was the weather conditions, even though there was no rain nor snow nor high wind in the departure or arrival cities. Ground service and customer service was constantly contradictory. Besides, as usual, seats are small. Cabin staff scream over the microphone some credit card promotions while people are sleeping. Food is missing. When you purchase a sandwich, the price is 10 dollars for a small, cold piece.
RouteCharlotte to Seattle
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"very little effort to help us"

Trip Verified | Detroit to Dallas. I realize that due to weather in Detroit was bad. We missed our connecting flight. AA made very little effort to help us to make our connecting. We only missed it by 2 min. And we was stuck here in Dallas for 10 hrs. I can’t remember the last time I flew AA. But I will make sure it’s the last.
RouteDetroit to Dallas
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"A truly uncomfortable flight"

Not Verified | A truly uncomfortable flight. Because of the short connecting time I paid for a preferred seat nearer the front. What a disaster. Turns out it was a no recline seat; not designated on their charts? On top of that the seat in front of me was clearly a full recline; I estimate 6" to 8". I got to spent a full 5+ hours with someones head in my lap as she left the seat reclined even when not sleeping; and had to be prompted to put in in the landing position! The leg room situation was a joke; no space at all. The seat was probably a bit wider; a good thing because I had to sit sideways to clear the magazines. The idea of opening my computer was not viable. I an just under 5'11". And obviously dumb enough to fly AA's A320's across the country. Not again!
AircraftAirbus A320
RouteBoston to Phoenix via San Luis

"not try that again"

Trip Verified | American Airlines has added a route (AA3016) from San Luis Obispo to Dallas/Ft Worth. Which is a good thing except that 3hrs 23mins in an RJ is just about 1hr 23min too long! I will not try that again. The continuing flight to Boston (AA2579) was excellent in premium economy as I had great leg room. that flight actually left close to an hour late; to American's good fortune the high level winds were running NE and we arrived on time.
AircraftCRJ700 / Boeing 757
RouteSan Luis Obispo to Boston via Dallas/Ft Worth

"Worst customer service"

Not Verified | Worst customer service I can remember in a long time. We planned a trip with our kids for my wife's birthday flying out at 7:00 am. A month after paying a significant amount for these tickets I get an email informing me our departure time was moved to 5:11 am and our return flight that was set for afternoon was moved to 10:00 eliminating any time to enjoy the last day with no discount to our price. We did our best to make it work and at the check in kiosk it didn't allow an option to check back .. apparently we missed the 45 minute limit by a minute. The rude attendant by the time we got her attention said there was nothing she could do we needed to hope we could rebook a later flight. Later we found out this was not true and the attendants at the desk could have checked our luggage up to 30 minutes before which she did not tell us. I ran up to the airport store bought a carry on bag, through what we could in, ran suitcase back to car, and ran to gate as fast as you can with a 6 and 8 year old. As we got there they told us we could not board and the plane was gone .. although it could be clearly seen outside the window. On top of that was the continued most unfriendly customer service experience i've been through in years......couldn't care less and you were lucky they would acknowledge you. Luckily they found us another flight ... 12 hours later and charged us an additional $300 to save those seats. If you can avoid this airline at all costs, there are others that actually pretend like they care and aren't just there to rudely screw you out of every dollar they can.
RouteNorfolk to Miami
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"will never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Milwaukee to Lihue via Phoenix. American Airlines is terrible for customer satisfaction. It is the only airline where booking together doesn’t mean you will have seats next to one another. My husband and I booked two tickets to Hawaii from the Midwest. This was over 10 hours of air travel. Not only were our original seats not together (completely unheard of on other airlines) but there were not even two seats together available for the additional charges if picking a seat. I understand charging to make a specific seat selection but getting two seats together should be a basic courtesy when booking two flights together. I will never fly this airline again. Convinced me that I am a Delta customer for life - even when the costs are more.
RouteMilwaukee to Lihue via Phoenix

"non customer friendly"

Trip Verified | Lost my luggage for 4 days while trying to move into college. Has all of my belongings. Was told To go buy the everything I needed while my luggage was missing. I did. Now they refuse to cover any of my expenses! Implied that I was lying about my luggage missing. Obviously I have several calls with American regarding this matter. It’s unbelievable on how unprofessional and non customer friendly they are. I will never fly them again.
RouteTampa to Monroe