American Airlines

"never use American Airlines again"

Not Verified | I booked my flight non-stop from LAX to Eugene to visit my daughter and grandchildren. My flight was changed without me knowing until I went to check-in to a connecting flight leaving earlier arriving later and then returning super earlier. I called the customer service number and the lady said they changed the flight to non connecting because they didn't sell enough tickets so the flight has to go to a hub. She was able to help me change my return flight to a later time but I am still upset because I lose precious time with my family. They offered nothing in return. I have to book a hotel room in LA now because I live 3 hours from the airport and my new connecting flight leaves 2 1/2 hours earlier then the original and gets in an hour after. The return flight leaves 2 1/2 hours earlier then original schedule as well. No compensation. I will never use American Airlines again. I would give them no stars if I could.
RouteLos Angeles to Eugene

"zero social distancing"

Not Verified | Hands down the worst service ever on an airline in the US in over 15 years. Filthy seats (chewing gum covering one of the 8 seats in 'First' class) zero social distancing (someone in every seat and the flight over sold), people boarding with no masks on at all (while laughing with cabin crew entering the plane) and the meal service was a complete joke. To top the world call experience all off, baggage did not connect and zero apology from the customer 'service' team at SMF. Horrible!
RouteCharlotte to Dallas
Date FlownOctober 2020

"they are using COVID-19 to be lazy"

Trip Verified | So bad! This was my first time flying during the Covid-19 pandemic and I was shocked! The plane was dirty, there was absolutely no social distancing and they are using COVID-19 to be lazy! There was no food service, even for the flight that was 6 hours long! Just drinks! Why can you had out drinks but not pre-packaged food? Additionally, I had to change my return flight to another airline and was assured that I would receive a credit. Well I called today and sure I get a credit - but it's only good for the same route! So if I ever find myself in Hawaii with no return flight home - I can use the credit. What a joke! Everything I read and was told by the agent on the phone was that I would receive a credit! No one mentioned that it had to be for the same route. Well needless to say, I flew home on Delta to help my daughter with her kids and what a difference. The plane was not only extremely clean, they also handed us wipes as we got on if we wanted to wipe down our area even more! They also used social distancing on the plane! There were empty seat between travelers. They also had these baggies with an individual hand sanitizer, a Kind bar, a bag of Cheezits, and a water. And on the the 6 hour flight, they gave us this twice. American Airlines is the worst and they have definitely lost a customer! I feel let down and cheated! Never again!
RouteSalt Lake City to Honolulu
Date FlownOctober 2020

"not practicing social distancing"

Not Verified | I am shocked that they are not practicing social distancing and they don't even tell you until you are about to board the plane. I had to sit in a middle seat between two strangers for 6 hours during a global pandemic, the plane was so full I had to check my bag because there was no more space in overhead compartments. There's a sign saying that they spray the seats with an antiviral coating twice a week but no other signs that the seats are cleaned between flights, there was trash in the seat back compartment of my seat. They could at least tell you what you're signing up for when you buy the ticket, I wrongly assumed I could trust their judgement on health and safety measures. Customer service is also the worst. I left my phone at the gate and realized it just as I sat down, people were still boarding but they would not let me get off to quickly get my phone. I was cooperative since they said they could just mail it to me when I got home. I've been home for a week now, I've located the exact location of my phone on the find my iPhone app which says it is sitting at the guest services station at the American Airlines, but every time I call they say that they don't have it and now I believe they are intentionally not answering my calls. Minimum effort public safety. Minimum effort customer service. I almost regret taking the trip, might have to pay big $$$ for a new phone and could easily have contracted COVID-19.
RouteSan Jose International to Charlotte
Date FlownOctober 2020

"passengers were clumped together in one section of the plane"

Trip Verified | All 4 flights were delayed significantly with no explanation, no food or drink or bathroom while trapped in plane sitting on runway for over an hour, staff was very rude on all flights, passengers were clumped together in one section of the plane even though the rest of the plane was empty. No amenities, no customer service.
RouteDallas Fort Worth to Rapid City
Date FlownOctober 2020

"social distancing is only important until you get on the plane"

Not Verified | It is highly likely if you took three chipmunks and a penguin and put them in charge of American Airlines they would do a better job. First, social distancing is only important until you get on the plane. On-time depart for American means they leave on the actual day of the ticket. Service HA. Our connecting flight was messed up by the originating flight and when we got to Charlotte which by the way is their biggest hub we were told customer service is closed and we are basically out of luck. Seriously fly Delta, rent a boat, jet pack, jump to your destination. Anything but fly American. If anything good can come out. If this pandemic maybe it will be that American goes belly up.
RouteCharlotte to Cancún

"Absolutely terrible experience"

Trip Verified | American Airlines has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I missed my 2:30pm flight, which I admit was my fault because of personal issues, because I made it to the gate at the same time the gate closed. When I stood in line to get a ticket for standby the customer service agent forgot one small detail, that I needed to check in at the gate she assigned me standby. I’ve never been on standby before so as I was sitting there I saw people who were in line behind me checking in so I thought I should as well. Go figure these people who checked in before me, that we’re in line before me, got on the flight and I did not. If the agent had told me “hey check into the gate once you get there I would have been on that flight and not have waited for the next flight 2 hours later. Please inform your customers of what they need. Your employee told me I was standby group 2 and nothing more and that cost me 3 hours of my time. Do better American Airlines. I for sure will never be flying again with you because of this one time mistake. Absolutely terrible experience and this is why I always fly southwest or untied.
RouteDallas to Houston
Date FlownOctober 2020

"no social distancing at all"

Trip Verified | Flights delayed, no on board service was stated but was give to first class. Meanwhile I had to run to catch my connection flight because my first was delayed, currently 5 months pregnant and couldn't even get a water on board. Incredibly uncomfortable seats, no social distancing at all. Awful.
RouteLittle Rock to Charlotte
Date FlownOctober 2020

"never want to fly with airline again"

Not Verified | American Airlines is probably one of the most unprofessional, disorganized airlines I’ve ever flown with. The people working the flight were rude, my flights were delayed twice for reasons they still can’t explain. And they are no help at all with their customers and the questions they have about flights they [aid for. This makes me never want to fly with airline again. I’ve had better experience with Spirit. And That’s saying something.
RouteNew York to Raleigh
Date FlownOctober 2020

"social distance is not a thing on this airline"

Trip Verified | First of all - social distance is not a thing on this airline. Tons of guests not wearing their masks correctly and no one is enforcing that. Flight attendants seem moody and angry to be there. The AA app is a glitchy mess, internet package was a joke, in-flight entertainment app/streaming service cuts out frequently. Then, as far as flight itself goes, I get a text message at 3.30amthat my first flight home (10/24 Flagstaff to Phoenix, then Phoenix to Orlando) was delayed by 40 minutes and that it "may" cause me to miss my connecting flight in Phoenix - it was cutting it close but after calling the airport in Phoenix to get advice, I decided to stick with the original flight. Found out after I arrived at the Flagstaff airport that the reason the flight was delayed is because they didn't have a crew to fly the plane. The gate attendant announces less than an hour before our new departure time that they still had not found a crew to fly it and the plane was still in Phoenix. Why would they not just cancel the flight? Sure enough, now the flight was delayed by almost 2 hours, and there was no way I was going to make my connecting flight in Phoenix so I asked the flight attendant at the gate to change my flight to the morning. He did and I left. I attempted to check in on the app for my flight in the morning and upgrade my seat to an aisle, it processed a $61.82 payment twice but kept loading an error message saying that "seat selection is unavailable at this time." After discovering that the payments were already showing up in my bank account, I called American Airlines to tell them I had been charged twice for a seat I still didn't have a reservation for, and could they please change my seat. The woman on the phone said that something hadn't been transferred correctly at the Flagstaff airport so that it showed me as having left on the original flights. She also said they didn't have a record of the two $61.82 payments and that because I had already checked in, they couldn't change my seat and I would have to wait until I go to the airport tomorrow to do it. She "thinks" the charges will be refunded. I will never, never, never fly with American Airlines again.
RouteFlagstaff to Orlando