American Airlines

"I am beyond disappointed"

Not Verified | To say I am disappointed in American Airlines is nothing but an understatement. My mom flew into the U.S from the U.K through Dublin on 6/17/24, 2 days ago and got all but two of the 6 bags she checked in at Heathrow. Upon her arrival here at DFW airport, she had to wait for 4 extra hours after traveling for over 8 hrs at the airport for her bags and she did not get them. We have since gotten a myriad of excuses from the incompetent staff members that have attended to us in person and over the phone to resolve this issue. We are totally displeased with the poor and extremely terrible service of a supervisor at the A.A desk at terminal A28 at the DFW airport. She gave us wrong bag tag numbers and lied that we will get the bags next day. Its over 48 hrs now and we have been given new tag numbers, we have been told the bags will arrive today the 19th, that the bags are in the Uk, that they are in dublin, that there is no details on them. Just a bunch of stupid, unimaginable and imbecilic excuses that makes no sense to a sane mind. This is the most excruciating experience I have had with any airline in my 40 yrs of life and I am beyond disappointed with American Airlines.
RouteLondon to Dallas via Dublin

“atrocious treatment”

Not Verified | I have never in my life been spoken to on any airline ever the way an attendant spoke to me. It was so embarrasing to me to have her blurt out what the problem was. Yes I did have a pet carrier with me and it shouldve been under the seat, but she advertised it in such a loud horrible way that i was absolutely shocked how she went about the whole ordeal. She blurted out that it was against FAA law that pet carriers have to be under the seat which is acceptable and understandable, but the way she approached this could have been dealt in a less aggressive attitude. I am so appalled with her attitude that I will choose not to fly with this airline again. I am from New Zealand and have flown with this airline before and now I will tell everyone I know not to fly this carrier. Ive decided to cancel my advantage membership as well. She should have taken note of the other attendant who asked "nicely" to push it a little further under the seat. I mentioned to the old grumpy attendant she could’ve said it nicely and her angry reply was "I did." She also spoke like that to another passenger behind me. I heard Delta is a very good airline. I don’t care how much more I have to pay for any carrier, i wont be flying AA again and believe me I shall be searching out airline reviews online and "spread the word" about the atrocious treatment by this person. Its a shame one person can have such an effect on the entire airline. Just so sad!! Cabin service I would give 0.
RouteDallas to San Fransisco

"Customer service 0/10"

Not Verified | Customer service 0/10. Literally don’t know anything, you should stop putting “contact us for further help” or anything along the lines of that if the agents literally just read what was emailed to the customer. Also, if you don’t have an account with them, expect even less.
RouteSalt Lake City to Buffalo
Date FlownApril 2024

"worst airline I've traveled"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airline I've traveled with. Horrible customer service and flight attendants. Flights were postponed 3 times and then canceled. I am a cancer patient and they didn't want to accommodate me. They postponed a flight to Milwaukee the very last minute. It switched from 10:41 to 1:25am. This airline wouldn't rebook a different flight refused to give me my luggage and didn't want to reimburse me. So not only do I have to wait here for 3 hours, I'm also going to board a plane that's not in a good functioning condition (they will probably cancel it as usual-already happened 2 times on Friday when I was supposed to travel. Stay away from them at all costs.
RouteMilwaukee to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownJune 2024

"Never flying American again"

Trip Verified | I bought insurance on American. I had to cancel the flight and they didn’t refund me because my reason didn’t qualify. On another flight I wasn’t able to check in on phone. Got to airport 2 hours early and couldn’t check in at kiosk. Had to wait in main assistance line. By time I got to front was less than 40 minutes before flight and they said I couldn’t check in - re booked me for 6 hours later with no other options. Never flying American again. Go Southwest all day
RouteAustin to Phoenix

"Too many delays"

Not Verified | Too many delays it’s insane. I have picked 2 different flights and both are delayed. If your going to be delayed at least share the true reason once known to passengers awaiting the plane.
RouteNorth Carolina to Detroit
Date FlownJune 2024

“American Airlines is a disgrace”

Not Verified | American Airlines is a disgrace and I will never spend another dime on this poor excuse for an airline. The experience we- and hundreds of others- had at Charlotte Douglas Intl. yesterday was downright pathetic. Automatic check in kiosks malfunctioning leading to long lines (2.5 to 3 hrs wait time) at grossly understaffed gates leading to frustration, anger, missed flights, etc., etc., etc.... it was a disorganized disgrace, I have never seen paying customers treated so poorly. My wife ended up missing her flight, they were able to get her on another one which she made with minutes to spare, and now they've lost her luggage... so she's in Brazil with just the clothes on her back. AA you owe these people an apology. But I doubt one is forthcoming because based on what I witnessed yesterday you obviously don't care about your customers.
RouteCharlotte, NC to Brazil via Miami
Date FlownJune 2024

"don’t care about their customers"

Not Verified | Weather delay in LGA caused us to depart 2 hours late. By the time we landed in DCA, it was 15 minutes past our connection flight departure for HSV. Evening flight, so there was surely nobody connecting in HSV. They could have held the flight 20-30 minutes to ensure we could get home on time. Nope! Attempted to use the American Airlines App Chat feature. Both agents I ended up chatting with were completely useless. Earliest flight they could get us on was two days later, with no options given. When we arrived at DCA, we had to retrieve our checked bag so we had clothes. The girl working baggage claim was super rude, first telling us that there was nothing she could do, then only after we pressed she rudely said carousel 12 in 30-60 minutes. Went back to report the luggage was damaged, she was still super rude. Finally was able to get customer service to get my family on a next day flight, while I was on standby. Understood about the weather, but American Airlines has proven they don’t care about their customers. I am ending my frequent flyer with American. I will stick with Delta or United who actually take care of their customers.
RouteLaGuardia to Huntsville via Washington
Date FlownJune 2024

"cruelty and shock that I’ve gone through"

Not Verified | I cannot even begin to describe the cruelty and shock that I’ve gone through in the past 36 hours at the hands of American Airlines. To start with, my flight to Miami was delayed due to weather issues in Miami. Upon arrival after a four hour delay where I missed my then connecting flight, I was told I would have to take a flight the next morning. No one offered any food vouchers or overnight accommodations because their policy apparently is that they won’t reimburse you for any weather related delays, I spent a sleepless and miserable night on the airport floor getting no sleep. Funny that the Miami airport doesn’t even have couches and you can’t even lay across chairs. Around 3 a.m,. a worker cleaning the floors with a loud vacuum cleaner literally vacuumed around the hundreds of bodies sprawled out on the floor. Around 6 a.m. I "awoke" to the news that my morning flight had been cancelled due to "weather" issues once again. Despite all the weather and flooding issues, other passengers were still getting out on various flights with American Airlines and other airlines which makes me suspect this was not completely weather related. At any rate, upon discovering that, I then spent the entire day standing in the customer rebooking lines for hours with other passengers in order to book a new flight out. I called the American Airlines customer service call center several times only to be told that the only way to rebook was in person with the rebooking center. After about 2.5 hrs in line, I made it to a desk agent who rudely explained to me that my only options were to be put on standby for an evening flight that day and a confirmed flight for 3 days out! Again, no food vouchers or overnight accommodations were permitted because the flight cancellation was due to "weather" issues. After leaving the line and trying to find a different flight and different destination, I finally found one. When I went to purchase it, it disappeared. After talking with other passengers, I discovered it was an issue with American Airlines website. So many people were trying to book new flights out online only to have the flights disappear as they were about to be purchased. I got in line a second time, this time for 3 and half hours. The line was super long and most of us stood there without food and water in order to maintain our places. Finally, after I got through the line again, the agent allowed me to book the new flight to a new destination for the next day. Despite my requests, no food vouchers or hotel accomodations were permitted. I had to book a hotel for $225 all at my own expense because American Airlines refused to lift a finger. Basically, I've been held prisoner for over 36 hours in this airport, being charged for food, water and my own overnight hotel. It surprises me they're not charging for oxygen at this point. I do not recommend flying with this airline ever! If you can avoid it (and also avoid Miami) at all costs, please do so for your own sanity and mental health.
RoutePanama City to Cleveland
Date FlownJune 2024

"Never again will we book with American"

Not Verified | My husband booked a ticket a month ago to come see me, and his first flight was cancelled due to weather. In order for us to book him another flight, we had to pay an extra $200 to fly him out a week later. The following week, he gets on his first flight and lands in DFW where he had what was supposed to be a couple hour layover. American Airlines delayed that flight several times with absolutely no explanation. At 2:45 AM the day after he was supposed to leave DFW, they cancelled the flight, again for no reason given. The line at the airport to try to rebook was backed up from one end of the hall to the other, and the phone line wait was 6-8 hours. We had to personally rebook him another flight for the next day on a different airline, from a different airport for $427. My husband and I called 20 different hotels and were lucky enough to find one room available 18 miles away for $275 for 8 hours. He then had to pay for a Lyft to pick him up from the airport to take him to the hotel and then from the hotel back to the airport. So we spent over $700 extra to get him here for only two days. We filed a reimbursement claim 3 different times with all receipts attached for them respond saying it was due to weather. However, the weather was clear that night because other flights leaving at the same time were taking off, not just at the time his was supposed take off, but each time his was delayed as well. We were not contacted by them until 3pm the following day. Even looking online, there were no more available flights until Saturday, June 1st. After several phone calls and emails in regards to this issue, they proceed to only offer him a $50 credit for his next flight. First of all, what is a $50 dollar credit going to do for us after having to spend an extra $700+ when that should have been at their expense, and second of all, what makes them think we would ever book a flight with them again? We have had to jump through so many hoops just for them to turn around showing they only care about themselves and not tarnishing their reputation. Never again will we book with American Airlines. Per their “CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE” Rebooking your delayed / canceled flight When your flight is canceled or a delay could cause you to miss your connection, we'll rebook you on the next American Airlines flight with available seats at no additional cost. If no American flights are available until the next day, and the disruption is caused by us, we’ll rebook you on one of our partner airlines with available seats at no additional cost. We’ll rebook you in your originally ticketed cabin or class with your original form of payment. Attached is a weather report for that night. If I could give zero stars in each category, I 100% would.
RouteKalispell to Dallas/Fort Worth