American Airlines

"American Airlines has ruined their reputation with me"

Not Verified | Horrible horrible experience with American Airlines! I will never book through them again. My husband and I had a 10 year anniversary trip planned to Jamaica. We were supposed to fly out with American Airlines at 10pm, October 31, 2021. We got an email at 6pm on October 31, 2021, an hour before we were to leave for the airport, that our flight was cancelled. AA cancelled our flight with a 4 hour notice due to a "lack of staff" I was told. Keep in mind we'd had this trip planned for months. We had arrangements made for who would watch our kids and when. We had all our Jamaica travel documents and negative covid tests ready to go. We had already dropped our dog off with the person watching her. There were no other flights that night, so in total panic mode, I began rearranging our entire trip! Luckily, I was able to book last minute flights through Delta and JetBlue for the following day, November 1, 2021. I had to push our entire trip back a day with our resort and reschedule our excursions we had planned since our original dates now didn't work. The main excursion we wanted wasn't available to book for another day so we lost out on that. I'm thankful we were able to still get flights through other airlines to still go, but now our negative covid tests were out of the 72 hour time frame. Frantically trying to find a rapid testing site, that was open on Monday, we found only one in our area that cost $130 per test. After all was said and done, American Airlines left us hanging with an unbelievable amount of stress and an unexpected expense of over $300 after the new covid tests and extra, unnecessary, night of dog boarding. On Monday, November 1, 2021 I called AA customer service number on their website, which is apparently only the reservations department. I told them what happened and requested a full refund and compensation for the unexpected expense. The man I spoke with was very nice, but said he couldn't help with compensation and could only refund the plane tickets. Fine. He instructed to me to email customer relations about my complaint and to include that I could show proof of purchase for the new covid tests and extra night of dog boarding and that they should at least compensate me for those. I did just that, and they came back saying travel documents and covid tests were not their responsibility, but here's a $100 AA credit to make it all better. First of all, I will never book a flight through American Airlines ever again. Second of all, I had all our paperwork and testing ready to go for the flight we had entrusted AA with in the first place. It was 100% their fault we were now in this situation and they refused to own up to it. I responded to the email my concerns and that a $100 credit wasn't good enough and they pretty much told me to pound sand, that they weren't going to do anything for me. I tried calling American Airlines again today, November 15, 2021, to express my continued frustration with the company and again no one would help. I've still only received half of my refund from our cancelled flights, so apparently AA just likes sitting on their customers money while screwing them over. I figure reviews are the best I can do at this point to hopefully help spare someone else from dealing with this nightmare of a company. American Airlines has ruined their reputation with me for life and I will be sure everyone I know knows how horrible this business is and how little they care about their customers!
RouteSan Diego to Montego Bay
Date FlownOctober 2021

"consider moving to a better airline?"

Not Verified | Business now is more expensive than ever, except you’re getting less than ever. Even when requesting a cold beverage during a lengthy boarding process - the answer was not now! Not when we are in the air, which cold be in 45 min. The food is no longer a treat if you can eat what is being offered now. Should I consider moving to a better airline? Executive Platinum Passenger
AircraftBoeing 737 max 8
RouteMiami to Washington
Date FlownNovember 2021

"Won't use American Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Won't use American Airlines again. I'll drive if there's no other option. Flight had a series of issues. First the plane needed gas, then there was "something going on we've never seen before". At first people were annoyed that the crew was cryptic, then scared, and then finally angry cause it was very evident that the crew did not care. They all acted as if we were over exaggerating that we'd been sitting on a motionless for 2 hours with no answers. The entire stewarding part of the crew needs to be retrained in customer service and how to handle a crew. Technical issues are going to happen, but the crew mishandled the situation completely.
RoutePhilladelphia to Charlotte
Date FlownNovember 2021

"I would never fly through American Airlines again"

Not Verified | I was flying from BWI to O’Hare then to London on October 29, 2021. The flight from BWI was 3 hrs delayed so I missed my connecting flight to London in O’Hare. The staff at BWI assured me that AA will take care of my hotel accommodation but they did not and I ended up sleeping at the airport and I also missed very important transactions in London! I called them but they put me in a 2 hour waiting period multiple times. I would never fly through American Airlines again.
RouteBaltimore to London
Date FlownNovember 2021

"customer service during COVID is just awful"

Trip Verified | Do not book with American right now, their customer service during COVID is just awful. The experience will take years off your life. They do not have to staff to remain operating during COVID. They canceled my flight due to crew, and I waited for over an hour to rebook my flight before giving up and flying United the rest of the way home. Every employee I talked to was rude and overwhelmed and clearly they are short staffed and should not be selling tickets to these flights.
RouteOntario to Phoenix via Boston

"pick any other airline"

Not Verified | Initial flight was delayed three times in a span of 5 hours. Got told me and my wife would receive hotel vouchers when we arrived in Phoenix. Got here for the customer service reps to tell us they could not do that and all they could offer was food vouchers. Called up to complain about the Reno staff lying to us, just to find out that it was in fact the Phoenix staff who lied. Now we have been here for over 4 hours with no way to get a hotel and no one to give actual customer service. If you enjoy being screwed over and lied to my suggestion would be take American Airlines as often as you could. However, if you are a sane person like myself, pick any other airline. You will be much better off.
RouteReno to Wilmington
Date FlownNovember 2021

"never be flying on American Airlines again"

Trip Verified | I have never missed a flight in my life. Have had a nightmare day with American Airlines. I was on a flight through American Airlines going from RDU to FLL that had a short layover in Charlotte. Our initial flight ways delayed about 30 minutes due to "power outages in the Raleigh area." Mind you it was a sunny 72 degree day. Then we were delayed at the gate in Charlotte because of a "sluggish jet bridge." Our connecting flight was scheduled to depart at 4:50 pm and we were not able to deplane until 4:38 pm. Our connecting flight was in a completely different concourse. We ran the entire way. When we arrived at the gate, the gate was closed but the plane had not left yet. We were informed matter-of-factly by the customer service rep at the gate "You missed your flight." Apparently, this was our fault. Not American Airlines fault. He informed us that as policy they can only hold the flight for 2 extra minutes. We were rebooked on a flight that would not be leaving until 8:45 pm since all the other flights were full. So instead of arriving in Fort Lauderdale at 6:50 pm we will not be arriving until almost 11 pm. Our day with American Airlines started at 1:15 pm when we arrived for our flight at RDU. So basically I could have driven from RDU to FLL and made it in almost the same amount of time (it's an 11 hour drive). To add insult to injury, none of the staff even acted genuinely sorry. Needless to say, I will never be flying on American Airlines again.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Ft Lauderdale via Charlotte

"Poor customer service"

Not Verified | Poor customer service from the moment you checked in. From supervisors to flight attendants. Everyone feels entitled to treat you like they want. They forget, their reason of the job is customer service! Plus blaming everything on covid.
RouteLos Angeles to Mexico City

"AA 2 thumbs down!"

Trip Verified | Everyone was standing and waiting to board plane when this American Airlines female Personnel started being rude to passengers by closing the lane right in front of their faces. I really don’t know if she was having a bad morning or what. Now, the second American Airlines Personnel singled me out from people that were boarding. I’ve seen people that boarded who's carry-ons were much bigger and the Personnel only stopped me. She called a carry on weight check on me for no reason. AA can even check the cameras and you will see that. This rude Personnel got as rude as to say: “Thank you” twice for me to acknowledge her rude behavior. I did not even look at her. This lady only got mad because the passengers were talking about how the first AA Personnel closed the lane in their faces and was saying something under her breath while doing so. AA 2 thumbs down! Be nice to the passengers, it’s really because of the passengers that you all have a job‼️‼️
RouteFort Lauderdale to Boston
Date FlownNovember 2021

"cursing American Airlines once again for never failing to fail me"

Trip Verified | Very difficult morning with my flight getting delayed, leading to missing my connecting flight and having to re-schedule. It all put me in a grumpy mood cursing American Airlines once again for never failing to fail me. Staff at ILM (Wilmington, NC) took care of me and put me on the next available flights at the gate. They took care of me in a way the 3 precious customer reps I had dealt with did not and even if today continues to go down the drain, I am thankful for both of them. Please give them my warmest thanks and gratitude. 10/10 for those two people and let’s not bring up the others.
RouteWilmington to Charlotte