Alitalia

"denied her assistance"

Trip Verified | I booked a return flight to my mum who is unable to walk long distance. I arranged assistance at the airport and into the aircraft to help her to move during her trip. This was planned long time in advance. She was back from her journey and she did not have any issues in the other flights until she arrived at Verona airport where they denied her assistance and they charged her extra fee. Assistance was free and she did not pay in all the other trips. Furthermore despite her showing her e-ticket to the check in desk where it was clearly written that assistance and luggage were included they charged for it as well. She was travelling alone and it was a really unpleasant and unacceptable experience. I strongly recommend not to take any connection to Verona.
RouteVerona to Catania
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"does not care about its passengers"

Trip Verified | August 28, 2019, I was traveling with my disabled stepmother and a child with scoliosis from Athens, Greece to Malta (AZ 717) with a change in Rome (flight AZ 884). The flight from Athens to Rome was delayed 2 hours and as a result, we missed our connection flight (AZ884) from Rome to Malta and had to spend 9 hours 40 minutes in Rome instead of 2 hours 25 minutes. The explanation I got when I complained about such a huge unexpected layover in Rome from Alitalia was: “Our records show flight AZ717 was delayed due to the late arrival of the incoming aircraft due to crew rest. Under EU Regulation EC 261/2004 (Art. 5.3 and Recital 14) the carrier does not assume liability when flights are delayed due to “extraordinary circumstances”. What extraordinary circumstances? Earthquake? Tornado? Wind? Rain “cats and dogs” so the other Alitalia flight was so delayed that the crew had to rest? I do not recall any of the above-mentioned disasters happening. Or it is just a conspiracy way to trick customer for not reimbursing/helping/accommodating them when most likely the delay happened because of the technical issues with the planes and it is Alitalia fault for which they should answer? Continuation: Upon arrival to Rome We we not offered help for a disabled person (it is quite difficult to sit in the chair for 9 hours 40 min), neither phone call, no food coupons as required by Under EU Regulation EC 261/2004 (Art. 5.3 and Recital 14), though we talked to the representatives in the disabled "lounge" upon arrival in Rome asking what we could be offered to help us go through the 9 hours plus of the delay (Just to mention, I paid higher price for the tickets to spend as little time during the layover as possible and ended up with 9 hours). To help my child with scoliosis and disabled stepmother go though this horrible not planned delay I purchased 2 entry passes (50.00 USD each) to the business class lounge assuming that would solve two problems: food and provide comfort in seating/laying flat in the lounge for two sick persons. If I were to go to the restaurants to feed all three of us I am sure during 9 hours 40 minutes layover we will spend way more then 100.00 combined (and I do not even ask to reimburse anything for myself). Of course, I complained about the delay and applied for 100.00 USD paid for the 2 passes (only 2, not 3). And here is the answer I received from Alitalia: "depending on the length of the delay, the airline is required to provide the necessary care and assistance as phone call, meals and refreshments, or reimburse the expenses for meals and beverages based on the relevant receipts. However, we regret to advise that the complimentary access to VIP lounges is not subject to this provision, therefore we are not able to refund the lounge access you purchased at Rome airport”. Looks like Alitalia does not care about its passengers at all only about filling its pockets. Next: Before the flight In Athens I tried to pay for excess weight online but the Alitalia website got frozen all the time when I got to the point when I was supposed to pay. I was constantly trying for a few hours but could not pay the internet price 28.00 USD per bag versus what I had to pay in the airport 50 USD.
RouteAthens to Malta via Rome
Date FlownJuly 2019

"lost our luggage for days"

Trip Verified | Catania to Milan. My sister and I won't use Alitalia never again, for sure. We paid GBP 78 for our luggage allowance, however, they lost our luggage for days. My sister, that was visiting me in London, had to fly back to Buenos Aires without her original luggage and belongings. She had to buy new suitcase + basic things to be able to come back and, despite all these expenses generated and documented, they have denied her any compensation. Absolutely disrespectful, never again for us.
RouteCatania to Milan
Date FlownAugust 2019

"no response after 5 days"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I booked an Alitalia Flight from Genoa to Johannesburg for Monday 9th September. Flying out at 19:00 and arriving Johannesburg 9:00 on Tuesday 10th. While checking in for my first flight at 17:00 I received a mail that my flight from Rome to Johannesburg had been cancelled and I would be rescheduled on a flight the following morning. At the customer service desk I was instructed to request a refund for my ticket. Once arriving in Rome I asked at customer service and was told I could only do this online. The following morning I was put on a 9:00 flight to JHB which was then again delayed for another 1.5hrs. I arrived in JHB at 20:00 on the 10th so an entire day of work lost. I also received an email instructing me to request a refund for my cancelled flight. The following day I called the Alitalia call center for South Africa, they informed me that I had to email [email protected] which I did, twice and I have had no response after 5 days. This is the third flight cancellation that I have experienced with Alitalia.
RouteGenoa to Johannesburg via Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"seats were a lot more comfortable"

Not Verified | Toronto to Rome. The best part about taking the premium economy with Alitalia is the Priority Check-in and also the distinct compartment that separates the 18 seats from Economy and Business. It also has its own toilet although on our flight it was out of order. The seats were also a lot more comfortable than standard economy. After those advantages the rest was not much better than standard economy. The food service was ho-hum and there was no liquor available even on a trans Atlantic flight. The flight attendants were adequate in terms of attentiveness but no more. The priority check-in, Priority baggage handling and comfortable seats were worth the added cost.
AircraftA330-200
RouteToronto to Rome
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Geneva to Rome. Adorable personnel, helpful, I recommend this airline, my flight was cancelled one day ago and they allowed me to the lounge to wait, offered me breakfast and lunch.
RouteGeneva to Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"suitcase was tampered with"

Not Verified | Dusseldorf to Delhi via Rome. Upon arrival to Delhi, I was told my baggage was not boarded on the plane. They said it will be delivered by next flight. Next day, they said the baggage is misplaced or lost. Asked for me to fill long forms and give proofs of my residence, work etc. In the mean time I had to buy basic clothes and toiletries (as nothing was offered by the airline). However 8 days later, I finally received my baggage but the locks were broken, the suitcase was tampered with and some items missing. It was a gross case of negligence and mishandling. In order to compensate the airline offered a meager sum of €100 euros. Would never fly again and would not recommend it.
RouteDusseldorf to Delhi via Rome
Date FlownAugust 2019

"I've found decent service"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Milan to Cagliari. Wasn't taking an Alitalia flight for years, and was expecting the worse. Funny enough, I've found decent service and reasonably clean aircraft, with good knee space. Flight attendants looked stressed, but didn't disappoint. Surely will choose Alitalia again, at least for short range flights.
RouteMilan to Cagliari

"Poor staff service"

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Johannesburg via Rome. Where does one begin? Send delay information emails and confirmation after it already happened. Poor staff service, very unfriendly. No support to single mothers with children, can't even get receive a bottle of water on request. Everything asked seems to be too much of a hassle or inconvenience for the staff. Refuse to speak another language to some customers while gladly speak the same language to other customers. Will never fly with Alitalia again. Our friends warned us about the shocking service and thought it can't be so bad, but it's very bad indeed.
RouteAmsterdam to Johannesburg via Rome
Date FlownAugust 2019

"would not recommend this airline"

Not Verified | Our group of four took Alitalia from Chicago to Rome on 06/26/2019 and returned to Chicago 07/03/2019. We had a flight that left Chicago at 3:30 p.m. Once we took off the employees came around and gave us some food that was ok. By 5:30p.m. the employees told the passengers to pull down the window shades so the inside of the plane was dark. I believe their intent was to make everyone go to sleep and not bother the staff during the flight. I do not go to sleep at 5:30 in the afternoon and did not sleep during any of the flight! The staff did not come through the plane to check on passengers for hours during the flight and I had to go search for one of them to get a drink of water. I think the staff went to sleep during the flight. On the way back to Chicago we left Rome at 9:30 a.m. and again were told to pull down the shades. While this may work well for people who want to sleep during the day I believe it was again done so the steward and stewardess could ignore the passengers. When the staff did come through the airplane with what they called food they were rude and curt if any of the passengers wanted to ask any questions about the "food". Some of the passengers are allergic to various ingredients and the airline employees did not show any interest in answering questions about the food. I would not recommend this airline.
RouteRome to Chicago