Alitalia

"Seat was broken"

Trip Verified | Terrible seat in premium economy. Seat was broken and wouldn’t properly recline. The main purpose I purchased premium economy was to be able to recline and sleep on my 13hr flight. I asked the attendant for help fixing the seat and she simply said she didn’t remember how to fix it and dismissed me. Movies worked but the picture quality was out of the 80s. Grainy and poor colors. Also it was a challenge to figure it out. Last year I flew EVA air to Vietnam for exactly half the price and twice the quality. It’s really no wonder Alitalia is in the brink of bankruptcy.
RouteRome to Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2019

"charged me extra for luggage"

Trip Verified | Catania to Rome. Bought my ticket with window seat and checked in the night before with luggage. When I arrived at airport for baggage drop off, they charged me extra for luggage and downgraded my seat to middle all the while pretending to not understand English and refusing service. I hope others does not have to go through the same treatment.
RouteCatania to Rome
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Horrible customer service"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Catania to Rome. Worst airline experience I've encountered. Horrible customer service and no organization in their ticketing process. My flight was delayed and I had to go back through security to talk to a lady at the checkout counter. After waiting over an hour, I was yelled at and told to go stand in another line. Alitalia should be ashamed of their customer service and their poor management.
RouteCatania to Rome
Date FlownJune 2019

"No respect for SkyTeam customers"

(Romania)

Not Verified | Bucharest to Milan. No respect for SkyTeam customers, especially elite plus customers, that pay a lot in order to fly only this team! After talking to customer service you may need therapy, so never try to ask for their help. Actually avoid this company. I will surely never ever fly Alitalia again. They will even sell your ticket to a cheap company and pretend they don’t care of any status you have. Should get excluded from SkyTeam immediately. Make you pay for your luggage, seats and you don’t get any attention even as a Platinum Member! Didn’t allow lounge, with Alitalia ticket and Platinum membership!
RouteBucharest to Milan

"They lost my luggage"

(Slovakia)

Trip Verified | Bari to Rome. Terrible experience. They lost my luggage, then shortly before I could have claim compensation they have lost it again. Customer service was not helpful at all and always took very long on calls.
RouteBari to Rome
Date FlownMay 2019

"experience felt like pure harassment"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Catania to Tel Aviv via Rome. I booked a flight a few months in advance, with a 12 hour stopover in Rome on my way back from Catania to Tel-Aviv. On the day before my return flight, while attempting to check in online, I found out that Alitalia has changed the time of my CTA-FCO flight from the morning to the evening, thus reducing my layover in Rome to two hours. They did this a few days before the flight, without alerting me to the fact that they're changing my itinerary (my understanding is that an Airline is not allowed to change the itinerary within 14 days from the flight, and that they must notify the passenger). Since I had plans in Rome, I contacted Alitalia by phone. From here on my experience was truly unbelievable. The first representative I spoke to, told me that my original flight was canceled, and there's nothing she can do. But I had reasons to suspect that the flight was not canceled (it was possible to purchase tickets for the flight online). Since she refused to acknowledge this, I asked whether I could be placed on some other morning flight. The representative responded that she can't find any available flight. Then she told me that there is a regional problem and all morning flights from Catania are canceled - which, as I found out after the call ended, had no connection with reality. I called again, after verifying online that it's possible to book my original itinerary on the Alitalia web site. I also spoke with several colleagues who attended the same conference as me, and none of them were notified of any flight cancellations. The same representative got my call. She told me now that she simply cannot offer me my original itinerary, even though the flight was not canceled, and that the airline has the right to do this (which is incorrect). She offered me some other choices which were completely irrelevant to me, and explained to me that I must accept one of these offers. I asked to speak with a supervisor but she refused to let me do this (claiming that all supervisors are away, or in a meeting, depending on the time I asked). She also kept demanding that I check availability online once more, but as I was traveling I wasn't able to talk on the phone and access the web at the same (this, she said, was 'my problem'). After 45 minutes of futile attempts to get this representative to help me, I ended the call and called again. This time I reached another representative. This one started by repeating the incorrect claim that my original flight was canceled. But I confronted her with the fact that the flight was being sold on the Alitalia web site. She then acknowledged that the flight was not canceled, but claimed that she cannot put me on my original itinerary anyway. I insisted. After a lengthy discussion she asked that I wait (probably seeking assistance from a more senior team member), and finally placed me on the itinerary that I booked. I wasted overall an hour and a half on this, and missed several talks in the conference that I attended. By the way: there were a number of empty seats on the flight, so there was absolutely no logical incentive for refusing to put me on it. The whole experience felt like pure harassment. Seems like Alitalia representatives are simply trained to do as little as possible to assist passengers. This is either a policy of the airline, or perhaps the representative are super lazy and incompetent, and nobody in this airline cares.
RouteCatania to Tel Aviv via Rome

"pleasantly surprised"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Rome to Buenos Aires. I had to run to the gate as my Alitalia connecting flight from Milan arrived late (they did wait for us though). The plane cabin was relatively well maintained, IFE was working properly (even though the screens and the choice could be improved). The service was quite quick and the food quite tasty (as you would expect by an Italian airline). There's definitely room for improvement but overall I was pleasantly surprised.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteRome to Buenos Aires
Date FlownDecember 2018

"Seats very uncomfortable"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Mexico City to Rome. Seats were very uncomfortable. The screens didn't work during the flight. The crew didn't answer when the button was pushed to call them. I asked for gluten and lactose free meal, and my meal had lactose products which i didn't noticed and made me feel awful during the flight.
RouteMexico City to Rome

"Alitalia has improved"

Trip Verified | Rome to London. Historically my flights with Alitalia have never been pleasant, most frequent occurrence the lost baggage. Surprisingly, regardless of its financial position, Alitalia has improved. Flights were on time, baggage wasn't lost, and service was decent. The pre-flight auction for business class is also a great idea. Well, the lack of politeness of an Italian cabin crew, and the ridiculously narrow seat pitch are not a surprise at all.
RouteRome to London

"not fly Alitalia again"

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Istanbul via Rome. Check in was appalling. A customer service staff was so rude that a colleague of his came to my assistance. I could not remove my old airline tag from my check in luggage,& his reply was that it was my problem,& wouldn’t even help me, after asking him several times, & informing him that I couldn’t remove it. He refused to check in my luggage & then his colleague ignored him & helped out. I will not fly Alitalia again.
RouteBarcelona to Istanbul via Rome