Alitalia

"very different flight experiences"

Trip Verified | Bari to London via Rome and had 2 very different flight experiences. I booked my flights several months ahead of travel for my summer holiday and found the Alitalia site to be very efficient and user friendly. Alitalia emailed me a reminder to check-in online and so that side of things proved to be impressive and reliable. Check-in at Bari was quick and the gentleman who checked me in made pleasant small talk and was very polite. The flight from Bari to Rome was on an A320, the aircraft was clean and the interior well presented. Boarding was well managed and the flight departed slightly early and reached Rome 10 mins ahead of schedule. During this short flight the friendly and well turned out crew served drinks and were a great credit to their company. Disembarkation was most efficient and orderly. I transferred from the domestic terminal to terminal E for the flight to London. This flight was on a clearly older A320. Boarding was not orderly as too many passengers had far too much hand luggage. The flight was delayed for over 90 minutes on the runway and no announcements were made by the captain at all. Most of the cabin crew disappeared and left one lady to try and answer questions from worried passengers. One passenger was told that storms over London had caused the delay and another person said there was power failure at Heathrow. This was all hearsay and not at all beneficial to passengers. I noted how a captain from another airline was treated like a king by the cabin crew. He was placed by the emergency seat and another passenger moved to enable this. Two Mexican ladies sat next to me and were concerned about missing their flight to Mexico City. The same cabin crew member who fussed over the captain waved her hands at the Mexicans and said it was not her job to know about connecting flights. During this flight a small drink was served and a snack consisting of a micro packet of biscuits. When I arrived at Heathrow I found that my case had been broken. I had to find a place to report this and was assisted by a young man who was clearly not coping well. Apparently quite a few bags on the flight did not even arrive in London. I shall hesitate to use Alitalia for international flights but should I need a domestic flight, I shall consider them! The poor communication was a great concern and the indifferent staff on the Rome to London flight were a cause for concern.
RouteBari to London via Rome
Date FlownAugust 2019

"not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Cairo to New York via Rome. I would not recommend this airline, they are apart of the sky team alliance and I purchase my ticket through delta but feel as though I’ve been ripped off. The employees of this airline is rude both on the plane and at the gate.
RouteCairo to New York via Rome
Date FlownAugust 2019

"not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | New York to Athens via Rome. There was an elderly man in front of us with a cane and needed help, as he boarded none of the stewardess bothered to look at him. The crew did not greet us as we entered the airplane, did not help anybody on the plane, did not crack one smile. When food was served it was basically tossed at us. Later as the lights went out I pressed the call button and asked for water. It took her 15 minutes to get me a glass of water. I would not recommend this airline.
RouteNew York to Athens via Rome
Date FlownJuly 2019

"disappointed in the service"

Trip Verified | Munich to Pisa via Rome. I found out there is a strike at my layover airport. I understand there is nothing you can do immediately to prevent strikes. But how do I only find out my connection takes twice as long when I check in? With no reason given at all? Ok there is a note in the email that notifies me about cancelled flights with no further information to talk to a ticketing officer where one can ask for passenger rights. Thus i explain my situation to random alitalia employees to find it. After half an hour later I am at an empty booth. Other airport empoyees explain me where the real booth is and that i should ask for a ticket. After half an hour my number is called. I go there, they explain me to wait in line because the system does not work right now. But the line does not move at all since some passengers are arriving with Alitalia employees to be injected at the front of the line. Finally after 1:30 hours later i can explain my situation to the person i have been referred to countless times. I ask her about the compensation policy for delayed flights and my passenger rights, yet she only refers me to the website. After multiple requests she writes down the address of the website in my notebook. If this is truly the only way to file complaints, I would have expected this to be communicated beforehand and not 2h after I spoke with the first Alitalia ground personnel about the matter. I am seriously disappointed in the service you are providing, your communication policy and how you are handling complaints.
RouteMunich to Pisa via Rome
Date FlownJuly 2019

"made us stand in line for hours"

(Lebanon)

Not Verified | Amsterdam to Beirut via Rome. A sky priority platinum member story: Not only we were delayed on all the segments, not enough that our flight was delayed and we missed the connection, They made us stand in line for hours without any and when arrived to role they made us stand up in line for another hour, I was informed that it's better and safer to keep my luggage with them and that it's 100% it will arrive to destination, when asked for it still they said I'll have to wait for 2 hours for them to bring it so I chose to follow their direction and leave it with them, no surprise here the luggage was not sent but also lost. The night In Rome they sent me to a hotel. After an hour of waiting in line the hotel tells me that the airline sent them another memo and that they will send me to another hotel. We landed at 12 midnight and I reached my room at 4 am after all the hassle. The next morning flight was delayed again 1 hour, and of course no luggage. Mean, unethical, careless, and notorious for bad service.
RouteAmsterdam to Beirut via Rome

"Seat pitch is good"

(Myanmar)

Trip Verified | Flew Rome to Bari roundtrip. FCO-BRI: Used Kiosk check-in without problem. Upon boarding, staff screened passengers for carry-on baggage to make sure the it's within the 8-kg weight limit. And I had to pay for 1-kg overweight at 49 euro price. I was to move some contents out of my luggage into my backpack. The staff said the backpack also has weight limit. Seemed like I was destined to pay up. T1 is a mad house. The domestic (or regional) flights use the gates at tarmac level. There was hardly any place to sit down. Many people resorted to the floor. Leaning on the wall and space was a rare commodity. Flight was slight delayed as taking more time using buses to remote stands as my plane was parked at the far end. BRI-FCO: I knew I will be definitely overweight on my luggage after Greek island hopping trip. I purchased the luggage for this sector. Checked in at a Kiosk which was slow and stalled and took forever about 5 to complete. Luggage drop was not accepted as only one flight at a time. There was a flight leaving before mine so the luggage had to be dropped at a designated time. It was quick domestic hops. Beverage service on board was offered on both legs. Seat pitch is good.
RouteRome to Bari
Date FlownJune 2019

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Not Verified | We flew from Cagliari to Milan Linate on an A320. Check in lines were long but fortunately we arrived early. Fortunately we were not charged for excess baggage. Hand luggage allowance is I believe only about 8 kilos. We left on time and the crew were very friendly. We also were served a drink and a very nice packet of crisps. In general I was pleasantly surprised by the professional, friendly crew.
AircraftAirbus 320
RouteCagliari to Milan
Date FlownJuly 2019

"experience was really good"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Athens to Rome. The flight was cheap so I was a little skeptic especially considering I didn't fly Alitalia since 3 years but the experience was really good and there was plenty of soft drinks and helpful cabin crew.
RouteAthens to Rome
Date FlownMay 2019

"Seat was broken"

Trip Verified | Terrible seat in premium economy. Seat was broken and wouldn’t properly recline. The main purpose I purchased premium economy was to be able to recline and sleep on my 13hr flight. I asked the attendant for help fixing the seat and she simply said she didn’t remember how to fix it and dismissed me. Movies worked but the picture quality was out of the 80s. Grainy and poor colors. Also it was a challenge to figure it out. Last year I flew EVA air to Vietnam for exactly half the price and twice the quality. It’s really no wonder Alitalia is in the brink of bankruptcy.
RouteRome to Los Angeles
Date FlownJune 2019

"charged me extra for luggage"

Trip Verified | Catania to Rome. Bought my ticket with window seat and checked in the night before with luggage. When I arrived at airport for baggage drop off, they charged me extra for luggage and downgraded my seat to middle all the while pretending to not understand English and refusing service. I hope others does not have to go through the same treatment.
RouteCatania to Rome