Air Austral

"my flight was very unpleasant"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I have flown with the airline at least six flights in the last three years. So far, I am pleased with the airline's punctuality and the services of flight attendants on board. Unfortunately, my 2019 flight in 23 June was very unpleasant. Started from at least the 15-hour delay of the flight, and there was not at all any special offer on board. The delay caused me to pay more at the hotel. The latest flight in July was terrible. Boeing 787-8 was booked, but A330 I was in. Headache during the flight , and asked for pills from the attendant but it was ignored. Terrible.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 / A330
RouteBangkok to Reunion
Date FlownJuly 2019

"leg room was not too bad"

Trip Verified | Paris to Reunion. Air Austral is a fairly good airline. The seat layout of the Airbus A330-200 was 2x4x2. The leg room was not too bad. In-flight entertainment was good and worked well. Cabin service was average but generally fine. The flight was on time.
AircraftA330-200
RouteParis to Reunion
Date FlownJune 2019

"missed our connection flight"

Trip Verified | La Réunion to Paris. We missed our connection flight because of the delay of the the first flight with Air Austral. The worst thing about was the service of the staff at the airport at CDG. At first they denied to speak English and booked us for a flight 7 hours later, but other travelers were book on an earlier flight with the same destination. Vouchers for food or drinks were also denied although it is EU law. It was the impoliteness and ignorance of the staff that made the experience with Air Austral this bad.
RouteLa Réunion to Paris
Date FlownMay 2019

"really bad service"

Trip Verified | Reunion to Chennai. We were really disappointed in this Air austral. Around 13 hrs delay, they dint provide lounge, and food to still for 4 hours and then all complaint the ground staff and then they issue a burger and one drinks. All ground staff is not at all responding. It’s really bad service.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteReunion to Chennai
Date FlownApril 2019

"had to give up our luggage"

Trip Verified | We had to give up our luggage in Paris CDG on the return flight from Reunion, for the onward flight to Frankfurt, although no airport change took place. Reason: The gate for the onward flight to Frankfurt was too far away from the gate where we arrived !! Despite a complaint about the baggage claim in St. Denis, the responsible supervisor decided that. Was an unpleasant and stressful experience. On the one hand, because of the relatively short time window and on the other hand because of the many and sometimes also heavy luggage, which we push forever through Paris CDG and also had to transport an elevator and a bus. Wir mussten beim Rückflug aus Reunion unser Gepäck in Paris CDG erneut aufgeben, für den Weiterflug nach FFM, obwohl kein Flughafenwechsel stattgefunden hat. Begründung: Das Gate für den Weiterflug nach FFM sei von dem Gate, an dem wir angekommen sind, zu weit entfernt !! Trotz Reklamation bei der Gepäckaufgabe in St. Denis hat der zuständige Supervisor so entschieden. War eine unangenehme und stressige Erfahrung. Zum einen, wegen des relativ knappen Zeitfensters und zum anderen wegen des vielen und teilweise auch schweren Gepäcks, das wir ewig weit durch Paris CDG schieben und zudem in einen Fahrstuhl sowie einen Bus verfrachten mussten.
RouteSt. Denis to Frankfurt via Paris
Date FlownDecember 2018

"This airline is shambolic"

Trip Verified | This airline is shambolic. Our direct flight from Paris to Dzaoudzi was cancelled and another given after 3hours but via Reunion. On arrival in Reunion, shoved in my face a letter of apology. Agents very stand offish. Nothing offered, not even water. Crying babies, elderly customers not taken care of. Just herded like cattle to a small gate area. On embarking from Reunion to Dzaoudzi our baggage could be seen on tarmac but not loaded. Advised Purser and Captain but they shrugged shoulders. On arrival in RUN, a total of 8 hours late with no luggage. On return flight to Paris CDG we were advised maybe a stop in East Africa, then told once on plane, going direct. Served a freezing cold salad as an entree and thats all. A dry baby croissant for breakfast, but were made to feel grateful. We pay for service and products but must be grateful for something! I contacted Air Austral under EU LAW 261/2004 for my refund as laid out under EU Legislation & after 17 emails ignoring me, I contacted a third party attorney. Sure enough they are paying up my refund. I can only say, this airline is awful. They hold you to ransom after you pay your hard earned money, treat you like you are doing them a favour, glare at you when questioned, ignore the law they are contractually bound to, serve you cold salad for dinner, lose your luggage, contact you after 6 months once summoned by a lawyer, tell you where they are taking you with no chance to deplane if you need to change your plan. The situation is their Boeing 787 has many technical problems, the Boeing 777 is too big to land in Mayotte, so instead of being truthful, they just lie. Still, they are supposedly 3star?
RouteParis to Dzaoudzi via Reunion
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Very bad attitude!"

Trip Verified | I wasn't a happy guy. There was an outbreak of pneumonic plague and especially in Antananarivo/Tana. So, I changed my return flight to avoid Tana and instead opted for my return from Nosy Be. The agent repeatedly said there would be no change fee due to the plague. Made perfect sense to me. I wanted to avoid a plague area! When I did change they had charged me the €70 change fee and they would not budge. Very bad attitude! The flights are horrendously expensive. I mean, I could fly DUB-MRU (Mauritius) for €700 return and this hop between islands cost me close to €500 return. They seem to have the routes tied up with Air Madagascar, would I be a cynic for thinking there may be a total lack of competition between them? More competition needed her ASAP! A two-star due to the change fee and cost of the flights!
RouteNosy Be to Antananarivo via St Denis
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"We were pleasantly surprised"

(Guam)

Verified Review | Flew Bangkok to Antananarivo via Saint-Denis. We were pleasantly surprised by Air Austral: the flights were on time, the aircraft relatively new, the amenities were good, and the IFE was ok. On the BKK-RUN segment, a pouch is provided with socks and eye shade in Y class. Wine is provided with meals. The staff tended to disappear after meal service, but they were friendly enough.
AircraftBoeing 787 / 737
RouteBangkok to Antananarivo via Saint-Denis
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"they just keep stalling"

Verified Review | Nosy Be (Madagascar) to Paris CDH via Reunion. The connecting flight was cancelled so had overnight stay in Reunion. Then next day flight was earlier than the original schedule, so had to overnight in Paris. The promised hotel booked by Air Austral was not honoured - had to chase to get refund for hotel booked myself. Still waiting for compensation, that was agreed by Air Austral, despite continued emails. They just keep stalling. Unfair and gives a terrible impression of Air Austral.
RouteNOS to CDG via RUN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"worst experience I have had"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Reunion to Johannesburg with Air Austral. One of the worst experience I have had. After we took off from Reunion, the flight had to go back to Reunion because of the technical fault. When we arrived at the airport nobody from the airline bothered to explain the next step and nobody at the airline spoke English. We only saw on the boarding gate the time for departure. This made us miss our connecting flight. Upon arrival at Johannesburg we tried to negotiate with the Manager and ask her to find flights home for us. She said there was nothing she can do for us. I can assure everybody who wants to take this airline that cheap is expensive. We ended up rebooking our flights.
RouteRUN to JNB