Air Austral

"Very bad attitude!"

Trip Verified | I wasn't a happy guy. There was an outbreak of pneumonic plague and especially in Antananarivo/Tana. So, I changed my return flight to avoid Tana and instead opted for my return from Nosy Be. The agent repeatedly said there would be no change fee due to the plague. Made perfect sense to me. I wanted to avoid a plague area! When I did change they had charged me the €70 change fee and they would not budge. Very bad attitude! The flights are horrendously expensive. I mean, I could fly DUB-MRU (Mauritius) for €700 return and this hop between islands cost me close to €500 return. They seem to have the routes tied up with Air Madagascar, would I be a cynic for thinking there may be a total lack of competition between them? More competition needed her ASAP! A two-star due to the change fee and cost of the flights!
RouteNosy Be to Antananarivo via St Denis
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"We were pleasantly surprised"

(Guam)

Verified Review | Flew Bangkok to Antananarivo via Saint-Denis. We were pleasantly surprised by Air Austral: the flights were on time, the aircraft relatively new, the amenities were good, and the IFE was ok. On the BKK-RUN segment, a pouch is provided with socks and eye shade in Y class. Wine is provided with meals. The staff tended to disappear after meal service, but they were friendly enough.
AircraftBoeing 787 / 737
RouteBangkok to Antananarivo via Saint-Denis
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"they just keep stalling"

Verified Review | Nosy Be (Madagascar) to Paris CDH via Reunion. The connecting flight was cancelled so had overnight stay in Reunion. Then next day flight was earlier than the original schedule, so had to overnight in Paris. The promised hotel booked by Air Austral was not honoured - had to chase to get refund for hotel booked myself. Still waiting for compensation, that was agreed by Air Austral, despite continued emails. They just keep stalling. Unfair and gives a terrible impression of Air Austral.
RouteNOS to CDG via RUN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"worst experience I have had"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Reunion to Johannesburg with Air Austral. One of the worst experience I have had. After we took off from Reunion, the flight had to go back to Reunion because of the technical fault. When we arrived at the airport nobody from the airline bothered to explain the next step and nobody at the airline spoke English. We only saw on the boarding gate the time for departure. This made us miss our connecting flight. Upon arrival at Johannesburg we tried to negotiate with the Manager and ask her to find flights home for us. She said there was nothing she can do for us. I can assure everybody who wants to take this airline that cheap is expensive. We ended up rebooking our flights.
RouteRUN to JNB
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"great little airline"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Great little airline. Although we left one hour late, the service for a 4 hour flight was outstanding from Johannesburg to Reunion. Even in Economy Class, you receive an amenity kit, a hot towel, and a full hot meal with first course, desert, and free wine and liquors. This was followed by a great French movie with subtitles on drop down screens every 4 rows. A great way to start a magical vacation on a paradise destination in the Indian Ocean.
RouteJNB to RUN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"disappointed with my flight"

Paris to La Réunion. I was very disappointed with my flight on Air Austral - very damaged seats, small, uncomfortable, dirty. Due to health problems I have to eat neither fat nor sugar, so I always order a light meal except that Air Austral on this meal "exceptional" also has a price exceptional and is discriminatory. The meal costs the astronomical sum of 20 € for all that ultimately end up with a meal with fat! Between the outward and return flight I had email exchanges with the company following this concern and frankly they had nothing to do and were very ironic in their responses do not take seriously at all my problem, sending me a vegetarian menu instead of the light except that eating vegetarian has nothing to do with not eating fat and sugar. Staff incompetent. Movies and music were poor.
RouteCDG to RUN
Date FlownMay 2016

"crew were outstanding"

A very pleasant experience with Air Austral. The food was above average for economy. The movie choice was a bit limited but there was enough in English to keep us entertained. As much to drink as you wanted. The onboard crew were outstanding - friendly and professional. The best economy cabin crew I have experienced for a long time. It is also by far the best route to Madagascar (and especially Nosy Be with a direct flight from St Denis).
RouteParis to Reunion
Date FlownSeptember 2015

Air Austral customer review

CDG-RUN return. Air Austral is the airline of Réunion Island owned by the local public authorities. On the good side food is average but not too bad particularly main dishes. FA are smiling and very attentive ground staff really nice. Boarding was very well organised. A small travel kit is provided with socks. Pillows are wide. Cabin looks fine although a bit ageing in Y. New livery on the planes is really great. On the downside choice of films on the IFE is surprisingly limited and most French films - and seats are really narrow because of 3-4-3 configuration on B777 particularly exit seats. All in all I find its service to be slightly better than AF and Air Mauritius on this area.

Air Austral customer review

Sydney-Reunion-CDG return May/June 2012. After reading mixed reviews here we were a little apprehensive at first but booked anyway because of price and also short stop over times. Staff were friendly upon initial check in blocking the seat next to us so we had more room. Actually the only flight we had to sit next to someone else was Reunion-CDG. Entertainment selection was great and the staff were very friendly and attentive. Food was tasty and very sufficient. And the care packs with socks ear plugs sleep mask and headphones were a nice touch. On return flight Reunion-Sydney the plane was virtually empty so we had a row of seats each as did most other passengers in the cabin. Again staff were very attentive constantly offering drinks throughout the flight. All in all we had an extremely pleasant experience and have no hesitation flying with them again. Have recommended Air Austral and will continue to.

Air Austral customer review

Departed Jorge Newbury Airport (AEP) Buenos Aires to Galeão-(GIG) Rio de Janeiro. Flight number AR 2252- 22 August 2012. Embraer 190 aircraft. Arrived at the airport in time for a 9.50am departure. There were many announcements in Spanish but very few in English until English speaking passengers enquired at departure gates. Flight was 1 hour late with no explanation given. Flight itself was fantastic however cabin crew were less than friendly and did not even check our boarding pass to direct us to our assigned seat as we boarded. Inflight "snack" was some sort of carrot cake caramel filled biscuit covered in a white chocolate substance with a caramel sweet.