Top 100 Airlines

Wizz Air

"some kind of scamming"

(Portugal)

Lisbon to Budapest return. I had no baggage problems since I carefully read all the rules. I bought a 23kg bag and had a smaller bag which was for free. My problem was when I got to the check in point and was told by the rudest passanger service agent that the name I had on my boarding pass was incorrect and I had to go to the office and change it. The problem is that changing your name will apparently cost you 100€. And my name was in fact right because it was my first and last name and never have I ever been bothered with such a thing. But according to the lady I should also have had my middle name. After further research online and on Wizz Air website I have yet to find any warnings that you are obliged to enter your full name. So I can only say that this is some kind of scamming to get people to pay for yet another fee. I did however manage to pass without changing my name which leads me to believe even more so that it is a scmm. Because if they in the end let me go through without any changes or extras paid it must mean that the alteration is not necessary, Even more so since I did the opposite flight (Lisbon to Budapest) and had no problems whatsoever. The aircraft is not too bad and the flight attendants were ok. I just wished I wasn't in such a hurry and had had time to get the names of the two ladies check in points because I've never seen such terrible customer service and lack of care. And the photo shows my bag on the floor because it fell while it was been taken on the cart. Great work Wizz Air and Budapest Airport.
RouteBUD to LIS
Date FlownMay 2016

"no longer a cheap airline"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Stockholm Skavsta to Gdansk with Wizz Air. My general comment is beware. Wizz Air is no longer a "cheap" airline. With all the extras you have to pay the price amounts to what ordinary air ticket with all other established air companies cost. What is irritating are all the extras that are semi hidden. The information is written in small letters and you as customer realise late that what you pay in the end is a regular fare. In future I will try to avoid as much as I can this air company.
RouteNYO to GDN
Date FlownMay 2016

"not getting what you paid for"

(Hungary)

Verified Review | Budapest to Warsaw with Wizz Air. This airline is not about getting what you paid for. I thought I had booked in online after receivibg a vague email, only to find out at the airport I had merely confirmed the email. On this email's link it announced that receiving a boarding card at the airport was free - that proved to be false as it costs 40.00 euro for this - I am not sure why, as i could have tried again online at the airport but was told this was not possble. Was not sure why with nearly 3 hrs before boarding, but was told time had elapsed. I cannot be bothered to fly with them again. Enough is enough. They have bent the rules so far it is basically cheating people.
RouteBUD to WAW
Date FlownMay 2016

"invented new baggage standard"

Verified Review | Basel to Warsaw. It is ineresting to realize that Wizz has invented a new cabin baggage standard which they allow for free: "Kleines Handgepäckstück: Falls Ihr Handgepäckstück die Maße 42x32x25 cm nicht überschreitet, darf es kostenlos mit an Bord genommen werden." I had never heard of this definition with any other airline before. What was usually accepted by other airlines as a overhead bin compatible cabine bagage size is not free at Wizz Air. See their original text: "Großes Handgepäckstück: Falls Ihr Handgepäckstück größer als ein kleines Handgepäckstück ist, aber die Maße 56 x 45 x 25 cm nicht überschreitet, können Sie es gegen eine Gebühr mit an Bord nehmen. Es muss in das Gepäckfach passen." So given that the world had been travelling for years with this size of bagage, every passenger that buys a ticket with Wizz and was used to take his cabin carry-on, needs to pay for it.
RouteBSL to WAW
Date FlownMay 2016

"40 euros just for the check in"

Verified Review | Budapest to Luton with Wizz Air. The online check-in system closes 3hours before the flight. The email says: Please don't forget to check-in online or via the mobile application at least 3 hours prior to the scheduled departure time of your flight (at airports where online check-in is not available airport check-in is free of charge). So went to the airport confident, when I got there they said this is not a free check-in airport as it has online check-in (by the way good luck to catch the wifi there). They made me pay 40 euros extra charge just for the check in. People were in queue to pay each 40 EUR. Everybody there was very upset and their customer service personnel smiling at asking to pay the fees. I also saw a lady with a small cabin bag that couldn't fit in their luggage checking cage (with Ryanair that would have passed easy). She had to pay another 50 eur. Pay a little more and have a decent company respecting you and working for your comfort.
RouteBUD to LTN
Date FlownMay 2016

"very friendly and helpful"

(Austria)

Vilnius to Memmingen with Wizz Air. We travelled as a group of four and had problems printing out our boarding passes (not the airlines fault). At check in we explained our problem to the check in agent and he was very kind and checked us in without charging a fee (normaly 35 Euro). The flight itself was nice. Brand new A320, legroom was ok (I am 1.86cm tall) better than Ryanair. Flight departed on time and landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule in Memmingen. Crew members were very friendly and helpful. Like every no frills airline their weak point is, if you have a problem and need assistence. Originally we also booked the outgoing flight with WizzAir but due to a traffic jam we missed the flight. We tried hard to reach the callcenter of WizzAir from Austria and Germany but without success. So bottomline for me WizzAir is a decent airline for fligths within Europe but you have to be aware of the fact that it is a no frills airline and you pay for every extra - on the ground and on board.
RouteVNO-FMM
Date FlownMay 2016

"no legroom and friendly staff"

Verified Review | I was unable to do an online check-in due to a glitch with the Wizz Air website. I phoned their free booking query line and was told, yes, there was a problem and that free airport check in had been applied. We flew from Luton with no problem, the check-in was indeed free. On the return, however, no free airport check in had been applied. As I attempted to explain to both airport staff and the Wizzair folk when I phoned them, I couldn't check in for either flight and explained this when I phoned initially. I assumed, wrongly, that free airport check in had been applied to the return flight too. I was told when I phoned that I needed to go through the online complaints department. Having had to pay approx €70 to check us in at the airport I realise I will not see this back again. This is not sustainable for any airline, the reviews here show I am one of many. They must buck their ideas up. The flight? No legroom and friendly staff (once on board).
RouteOHD to LTN
Date FlownApril 2016

"Wizz the lowest quality one"

(Estonia)

Verified Review | Barcelona to Riga. I have flown with numerous airlines and Wizz was the lowest quality one, I ever had. Cabin bag size was strangely small, while booking the ticket and just in case I measured the bag, which was pretty tight between 40-42cm (max, Wizz allows for small bag, is 42cm.) In airport they pulled me over and told to put the luggage in the steel box, they have. So I did and to my great surprise, they insisted, I have to pay, since the wheels are little bit out from the box (not even an inch!) Since I measured the luggage at home with proper measuring line, I insisted they show me the actual length of the box. Of course, now it turns out, this supposedly is not their job, but nonetheless I am forced to pay 40 euros on spot. To make the situation less awkward, they gave me an option, though, which was to leave the bag behind! Lucky for me, I am spot on with the terms and conditions and this was the only thing, I had to pay extra this time, but I saw few people paying ridiculous sums of money just for having online check in and no paper to go with it. Seats on plane couldn't be tilted and the flight attendants go non-stop, selling stuff on isles, so no chance to sleep, unless you are tired to death. No Wifi and media stations, either. If you want to support this type of corporate policy, fly Wizz, if not, there are plenty of options besides then.
RouteBCN to RIX

"accept their rules"

(Slovakia)

Verified Review | Wizz Air is fantastic if you accept their rules. Dubai to Budapest and no problem. You must understand that their free luggage has smaller dimension than other airlines, and can only take 2 carry on bags only if you buy priority boarding. You can generate your proper boarding pass via their mobile app. There are differences from other airlines but the price is cheap.
RouteBUD to DXB
Date FlownMarch 2016

"doubled the cost of my flight"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Flew Wizz Air from Skavsta to Budapest. One of the worst airlines I have had the displeasure of dealing with. The tickets may seem cheap at first but they will take more money from you once you get to the airport. No free bag (unless its literally small purse sized) and even paying for a bigger carry on is extremely expensive. They will also tack on fees for not having proper format of boarding pass and when you go to pay for it all they charge you another fee. I just had a regular size (even smaller than average carry on) and a pdf of the boarding pass on my phone (which apparently is not ok) and it doubled the cost of my flight. Will not use them unless there is no other option.
RouteNYO to BUD