Airline of the Year

Wizz Air

"queue for several hours"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Basel to Bucharest. We had to queue for several hours in order to get on board. Started from the check-in. We departed with delay and flew longer. No explanation, no excuse. There was such a lack of respect for the customer and his time! After presenting the boarding pass to be left to wait in queue in that "labirinth", around 70-80 passengers "packed" there, after long waits for checking in and boarding. One hour delay for a 2 hours flight it's too much.
RouteBasel to Bucharest
Date FlownMay 2017

"worst airline I have travelled"

Verified Review | Kiev to Budapest. The worst airline I have travelled with, very strict in carry on's. Smallest seats ever. They seperated me and my family. I will never fly this company again even if they offered me free tickets. I should have read the reviews before booking. Hope no one makes same mistake as i did.
RouteKiev to Budapest

"Seating highly uncomfortable"

(Poland)

Verified Review | Gdańsk to Eindhoven. Plane arrived late at 9 am, so my flight was late. Staff was very rude and in big rush. It's very visible they are on big pressure. Onboard service started very late and they stop after serving 70% of cabin. Seating is not reclining and it's highly uncomfortable.
RouteGdańsk to Eindhoven

"particularly annoying crew"

Verified Review | I flew with Wizz and I guess I got unlucky with a particularly annoying crew. It was their last flight of the day (they told that to passengers on numerous occasions). At the end of the flight, while we were descending and the seat belt sign was turned on, a cabin staff approached me and requested I put away the bag I had under my seat from food I had earlier, to which I asked her if she could throw it away for me as I don't have any other place to put it (I already had hand luggage there as there's no space in the overhead). The staff got really upset at me and replyied and this is a quote "do I look like I have gloves on? I am not a waitress". Worst airline and most arrogant staff.
RouteLuton to Riga
Date FlownMay 2017

"the most for what you paid for"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Budapest. Pretty good airline. They seem to be really efficient in giving you the most for what you paid for. The leg room is a bit of an issue, I'm 1.70 so I didn't have any problem but for tall people I would suggest paying for the extra leg-room sits. They let the passengers board and depart from the back and front so there wasn't much of a delay. No food though, so come prepared.
RouteTel Aviv to Budapest
Date FlownDecember 2016

"our boarding cards cancelled"

Verified Review | Luton to Budapest return. We had to pay a check in fee of £80 for my wife and I to return from Budapest. We had completed online check in before leaving the UK and had printed boarding cards. The airport staff in Budapest told us our booking had been changed and our boarding cards cancelled. We had not made any changes and when questioned Wizz told me we had changed our titles (Mr /Mrs). Wizz would not accept any responsibility for the charge. The Airport staff at Budapest Airport were most unhelpful and very rude when dealing with us. The flight was fine but the charges were not fair and customer complaints not at all helpful.
RouteLuton to Budapest
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Absolutely terrible company"

(Bulgaria)

Verified Review | Sofia to Luton. Absolutely terrible company, I am mad after flying with them 2 days ago and I am never, ever flying with them again. You have to pay additional money to buy food or drinks, or buy luggage for check in (big suit cases) or choose a seat etc. Almost every flight I've been on was delayed, once the airplane was broken, so we waited 4 hours in the airport, and when we got on the plane they told us they haven't been able to do repairs, so they are going to fix it when they land on the other airport, and we shouldn't worry, because it isn't something vital for the flight. They charged us (2 people) 80GBP for having our small cabin bags not fitting in the measuring device in height by 1cm - we've traveled before with the same bags more than 10 times and no one said anything before. I complained to the cabin crew, but they were rude.
RouteSofia to Luton
Date FlownApril 2017

"profit with our hand luggage"

Verified Review | My husband and I were travelling from Budapest to Luton with two hand luggage. When we arrived to the gate a member of staff requested us to put our hand luggage in a very small cage, so obviously they didn't fit. The cage had one ridiculous hole in one side for small cabin baggage and in the other side a "normal" hole for a large cabin baggage. The thing was that if you paid 45 euros per bag you were able to take your hand luggage with you on board, otherwise the option was to pay 65 euros per bag and put them on the hold of the aircraft what it is more than understandable as many airlines advise you to do it online when you buy your ticket if you have luggage to check in, but that it wasn't the case. We had a very nice time in Budapest and we enjoyed a lot but we came back with a very bad taste because the airline wanted to make profit with our hand luggage.
RouteBudapest to Luton
Date FlownApril 2017

"the treatment is unequal"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Flew Wizz Air from Timișoara to Barcelona. They charged me 30 euros for a small handbag you were theoretically allowed to carry in, additional to the large cabin bag already paid. I was the last one in the row to the boarding gate and all the others passed before me with similar bags or even bigger. It was clear they went for charging taking advantage of the stress created by the situation. The plane was about to fly out. The rules are not at all clear and the treatment is unequal which is really frustrating.
RouteTimișoara to Barcelona
Date FlownApril 2017

"they will milk you for every surcharge"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | I've flown with all the low cost carriers - but Wizz Air is by far the worst. To start, the price as advertised was impossible. I'm used to surcharges - but they've even invented a difference between small and large cabin luggage, effectively forcing you to buy some additional luggage, even for weekend trips. Added costs not only for checked-in luggage - for for the usual cabin bag. Next, check-in. I arrive at Billund, there are no check-in machines. Arriving at the check-in counter (where the three couples before me in the queue were all shown off for having too large luggage), I am told that if they are to check me in (I did not do it online, I never do, but I am not late or anything), it will be an extra cost. Nothing had been mentioned about this in emails from Wizz Air. At both the check-in counter and the ticket office, where I am sent, they refuse responsibility in the usual weak agency manner, we're not Wizz Air, we're just airport reps. The final cost for checking in two hours before is DKK 270 (incl 30 in airport fee) - around 25% extra on the ticket price. It will be the same again, if I don't check in on the return leg. The feeling that they will milk you for every surcharge they can is pervasive. Inside the flight, the leg space is the narrowest I've experienced, even on low cost airlines, and the airplane is just generally dirty. The staff service was courteous, although of course food and drinks must be paid for. If you're on a short weekend trip around Europe, pay another DKK 500 for another airline (you'll pay it in fees anyway), and don't let an amateur airline ruin your good mood from the outset.
RouteCopenhagen to Warsaw