Spirit Airlines

"This airline is horrid"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Los Angeles. This airline is horrid. They charge you $55 each way for carry-ons! My husband and I spent $210 for our carry-ons bags from LA to Vegas and back. I asked the Spirit employee (at McCarran on 4/1/18 at 11:10 am) if there is any possibility of not paying for bags while getting our boarding passes and taking our chances of finding overhead space. She was defensive and rude - kind of nuts too. She said to me --nothing is free--you have to PAY--for everything--your seats! Everything! I said, yes, we have paid for our seats. I was only asking about bags and possibly running into space for the bags w/o prepaying - taking our chances. She said absolutely not. You cannot do that. You pay for everything! The seats do not recline and they do not give you beverage service unless you pay for a beverage. They nickel and dime you for everything all while providing abysmal customer service!
RouteLas Vegas to Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2018

"the quality was so bad"

Trip Verified | Flew Detroit to Orlando. Spirit Airlines is without a doubt the worst airline I have ever flown with. The quality for every aspect of this company was garbage from beginning to end. Both the airplane quality and the customer service were poor. The airplane was so bad they had to delay our flight by 4 hours for maintenance. The entire team kept all of the passengers in the dark and did not communicate any information to them. I never take the time to review companies but the quality was so bad I had to pass this on. I hope this airline is shut down.
RouteDetroit to Orlando

"had a wonderful flight"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Los Angeles. Spirit Airlines is very clear that luggage is extra, food and drink is extra, seat assignment is extra etc. I am not sure how they could be any clearer. If you must have a free drinks and snacks: Spirit is not for you. If you won't pay for a carry on or for a checked piece of luggage, then avoid Spirit because they do charge. If you just want to get from point A to B and don't need the staff to attend to your every need then Spirit may be the choice for you. I like to save a good deal of money. My last flight saved my family over $2500 by flying Spirit. We brought snacks and water. My kids loaded Netflix on their phones and I brought books to read. We survived and had a wonderful flight too. Their staff is professional and helpful. Flights were on time each time.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles

"rude and not helpful"

Trip Verified | Boston to Orlando. I called to have my boarding pass sent to my phone and the person I spoke with spoke over me and didn’t listen to a word I said and kept telling me to print out the boarding pass when I told her I didn’t have a printer. Incredibly rude and not helpful.
RouteBoston to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Customer service is a scam"

Trip Verified | Richmond to Orlando. We pre-purchased seats and carry on baggage. We actually had baggage that had to be checked in which was an additional charge. When we checked in at Orlando for our flight to Richmond there was a $5.00 add with was put on my credit card. I was told at the same time that I could change my baggage on the return online. When i attempted to change the baggage on line it would let me add the checked bag but would not let me remove the carry on bag i had pre-purchased. When I arrived at the airport I explained that I did not have a carry on and needed a tag for the baggage. The attendant knew what I wanted to do but did not seen to be trained to do it like the staff in Orlando was. The computer screen was turned away from me. The attendant put a tag on the checked bag and told me that a credit had been issued for $45.00 for the carry om baggage. I have sent 4 emails to customer service disputing the charge and they insist that I had carry on baggage along with checked baggage and will not issue a credit for the bag I did not have. This was my 1st and last flight on Spirit. Customer service is a scam.
RouteRichmond to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2018

"seats are insultingly small"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Las Vegas. I will first say it is my fault I had my wife plan this flight. She is frugal and picked the cheapest tickets she could find. In any case Spirit has the worst flight comfort I have had in my life. The seats are insultingly small, are fixed and do not move at all. On top of this they charge for every single thing done for or in a flight. On my trip I witness an attendant tell a customer that he could not give him any water except to charge him $3. The man wanted a sip of water for medication. Seeing that I saved myself the same frustration in taking my own meds. I am disabled and noticed they had zero provisions for handling the disabled (slightly larger seating). There was also no WiFi or any connectivity to help distract from their horrible seats.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Customer service is horrible"

Trip Verified | Flew Fort Lauderdale to New York City. Spirit charges extra for everything! Baggage charges are especially cumbersome and expensive! Their website is very hard to navigate! Customer service is horrible! They entice you with low fares but beware of the premium charges for baggage, etc!
RouteFort Lauderdale to New York City
Date FlownMarch 2018

"the airline of penalties"

Trip Verified | Detroit to New Orleans. My opinion of Spirit has eroded after 3 flights. They may be a good value if you travel with a backpack only, but the value diminishes quickly with luggage. The luggage fees are horrible to begin with and are only priced one-way. I was led to believe that my luggage fee would cover the whole trip. This time around, my suitcase was overweight by 13 lbs., which resulted in a $55 charge at the ticketing counter. My total luggage charge for this trip ended up being $165 for 2 suitcases. The pilots seem competent and friendly, and the cabin crew is adequate. However, not even water is free unless there is a medical necessity. The snack/beverage prices are atrocious. I don't care for this trend of going from a minimal free 6 oz. beverage/crackers to outright exploiting the customer for a can of soda, etc. Nonetheless, I don't ride an airline to eat/drink, and I thought the whole process of wheeling the beverage car out to give everybody a half can of soda was tedious and annoying. Airlines used to make you feel like a valued customer, but now it's like riding a city bus for a lot more money. The attempts to upsell on their website are ridiculous and numerous, and I'm wondering if a traveler saves any money over the big names should they choose all these "upgrades". The straw that broke the camel's back today was the fact I had to get in a line to print my own luggage tag before getting in the line to drop the luggage. Why are the ticket agents even there at all? That whole process could be automated. Spirit seems to be the airline of penalties. You're penalized for not checking in from home, not printing your own boarding pass, not paying high luggage fees ahead of time, etc. When you buy your tickets online, you're barraged with choices to pay extra for silly things like choosing your seats (used to be free), boarding faster, etc. I don't like Spirit's contrived a la carte model, nor their uncomfortable claustrophobic seats. I'll not be choosing them again.
RouteDetroit to New Orleans
Date FlownMarch 2018

"I'm willing to make some sacrifices"

Trip Verified | With just our backpacks in hand my girlfriend and I took the Spirit flight from Fort Myers to Detroit. We've flown Spirit a dozen times and never have a problem fitting what we need in our backpacks to avoid any bag fees. Why others do not do this more regularly is beyond me. Plane was newer and clean, staff were okay, they tried to be friendly. Price was far less than anyone else and it was a direct flight in the afternoon, that's what we wanted. Spirit gets a bad wrap because of all the previous major blunders, so when new flyers try it for the first time and there is any sort of problem they think to themselves "well everyone told me how bad it was, now I know for myself!" In reality all airlines cancel flights, arrive late, don't always have the best customer service, and could have more comfortable seats. However when you pay 40-50% less with Spirit than with Delta for example, I'm willing to make some sacrifices. Can't wait until my next trip on Spirit.
RouteFort Myers to Detroit

"mediocre at best"

Trip Verified | Detroit to Minneapolis. I've flown Spirit several times (at least 10 times in the last 3 years), each time mediocre at best but that's the standard Spirit reputation. As we all know or other reviews have said, there's no food, no drinks, the seats seem to get smaller each year, and the only bag you can have is a personal item (which also gets smaller each year). It's always cheap and rarely reliable but you get what you pay for because you get there eventually for a cheap price. I've never understood the people that say, wow I'm never flying Spirit again because you knew what you were signing up for. However, I've finally joined them. The last time I flew the flight was delayed by over 4 hours for no reason given which is nothing new but was a little inconvenient than previous instances. However, good ole spirit gave us a $50 voucher (nice, right?) and I rearranged my schedule. Before we all get too excited let's not forget this is Spirit. The voucher expires in 60 days (reasonable) but you can only use it for the base flight payment (don't forget to read the small print) and there is no way to use less than the voucher amount on the flight. So an exciting voucher that made me think - wow, I've been delayed so many times with Spirit without receiving a voucher but now that I have a voucher, I'll definitely keep flying with them! Turned into wow, Spirit you win again. Long story short, they price their base flight fee right below the voucher amounts to make them irredeemable. No amount of discussion with their phone "help line" aka computer that routes you to a person after 10+ minutes of trying to enunciate numbers into a phone will allow you to consent to losing the majority of the voucher if you can just use $5 to $10 of it.
RouteDetroit to Minneapolis
Date FlownFebruary 2018

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]