Spirit Airlines

Customer rating from 2090 reviews

"enjoys torturing its customers"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Philadelphia via Dallas. Several days ago I posted a review about our outbound flight to Orlando, where half the passengers' bags didn't get on the plane. Well, here we are again, with my return flight, to start the new year, Spirit Airlines lost our bag once again. I had that sinking feeling as we watched the last few bags and the carousel come to a halt, and no bag. We found an attendant near the Spirit baggage office in Philadelphia, who did not quite know how to take care of the incident. The only thing he was able to do was confirm that the bag had gone to Fort Lauderdale instead, for no apparent reason. He could not seem to figure out how to print us what we needed, because he said he could not remember his password. Then he said the printer was out of paper, so he could not print anything. He asked me to fill something out, which we had to remind him to sign, which at first he was refusing to do for some reason. He said it would probably be coming in on some flight late that night, which we were not prepared to wait all night for at the airport. The airport is in Philadelphia, and we live in New Jersey, so we certainly had to get home. So, today I called and called and called the Spirit baggage office there, to no avail. Most of the time it was a message that said leave a message, then said the voice mailbox was full. And one moment, I got an actual person to answer the phone, who said they had to put me on hold, then after 20 minutes, they never returned, and I gave up. When I called back, it went straight to a recording, which once again said leave a message, then it said the voice mailbox was full. Surprise surprise. If you call the corporate office, all you get are recordings as well, that tell you to write an email, or call the baggage office of the airport of arrival. Obviously that does no good, so it seems we are screwed again. I have been trying all day to reach someone at the Philadelphia Spirit baggage office, and I either get a recording, or someone picks up and says they will call me right back, and they do not. Eight hours of this. I truly believe to the depths of my soul that this organization enjoys torturing its customers. And it does a damn good job of it.
RouteOrlando to Philadelphia via Dallas
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"read all their terms and conditions"

Trip Verified | Fort Myers to Minneapolis. Beware that you read all their terms and conditions before you book with them. I was supposed to fly to Minneapolis from Fort Myers on 12/18/17 but my son got sick so I couldn’t leave. I did fly on the 22 instead but with another airline instead. I arrived at the Minneapolis airport this morning to fly back to Fort Myers come to find out they cancelled my return flight. I went on line yesterday all day trying to check in under my account and it said flight “confirmed” but wouldn’t let me check in it just keep saying we are working on your flight verify your email address for updates. I received no notification of any kind via email or my Spirit account. So to get back to Fort Myers they wanted me to buy another ticket and another bag check even though I had already paid for them once.
RouteFort Myers to Minneapolis

"my time is worth more"

Trip Verified | Every time I travel with Spirit there are delays for some reason. Minneapolis to Los Angeles, almost 3 hours of delay and back to LAX, the pilot is late and still not here. Pilot not being on time? Unacceptable, never experienced this before with other airlines. I will probably get 50 bucks voucher but my time is worth more.
RouteMinneapolis to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"do not care about customers"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Pittsburgh. Told to check in at least 2 hrs early. Tried to check in four hours early. Would not let us check in at all more than 3 hours early. Came back and got boarding pass but would not take our luggage because "there is no place to store it right now." Paid $52 to check bag and then stuck sitting around for another 45 minutes before we can check our bag. Desk personnel are completely disinterested and unpleasant. Avoid this airline unless you have no other choice because they do not care about their customers. You are just cattle to them.
RouteTampa to Pittsburgh
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"It is the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Las Vegas. I planned this trip in advance - have paid flight and expensive hotel, have paid a show. But before a departure we were told that flight is cancelled. We and all passengers were in a hysterics, nobody could get even on other flights. Spirit Airlines has returned us money only for flight and has refused to pay all other costs. The holiday has been spoiled. We lost a lot of money. It is the worst airline.
RouteChicago to Las Vegas
Date FlownDecember 2017

"whole thing has been a nightmare"

Trip Verified | Houston to Denver. I wanted to change my return flight to stay in Houston longer. Trying to change the flight was the worst process I've ever experienced. It would take too long to explain it all - but suffice to say - it took numerous calls (about 6 total) to get the correct information and flights and they charged me 3 times for the changes - as if each mistake was my fault. I was in tears by the end of it while still on the phone with the rep. Then I went to purchase my bags online today, and it said my itinerary wasn't recognizable. When I called - and it's no easy task to get someone on the phone - I was told my first name was entered as my last and vise versa. The most basic info. If I had reversed my names, I would be told I had to buy a whole new ticket! Plus - they keep emailing me to check-in online but no matter what I do - it won't let me check in, and my flight is in less than 24hrs. I ended up paying over $500 for this flight home, and the whole thing has been a nightmare. I would recommend never flying Spirit. Don't be influenced by the cheap fare - you will end up paying way more by the time it's all finished.
RouteHouston to Denver

"Never ever again."

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Las Vegas. I had heard nothing but bad things about Spirit Airlines, but thought hey might as well give it a try, especially for the price. My flight was cancelled due to the power outage in Atlanta, which was not Spirit Airlines fault, but how they handled it definitely was. I was told I could be put on the next flight, ok sounds great. I call to get changed to my new flight (this is all happening on a Sunday afternoon, December 17th.) and I am told the next flight isn’t until Friday 22nd. I was traveling for work and had to be there on Monday and was returning Thursday the 21st anyways. After emailing, Spirit Airlines will not reply anymore. It’s insane, I had to book flights through another airline to get there on time and spent around $1100. Never ever again.
RouteAtlanta to Las Vegas

"I was really pleased"

Trip Verified | Flew from Baltimore to San Diego yesterday and all I can say is that I was really pleased. At first I didn't expect a lot from Spirit Airlines but the crew changed the flight. We departed early from Baltimore and arrived on time at San Diego. The crew were really sympathetic and joked during the flight in order to make it faster for passengers. They told us "don't listen to the comments of other people about the airline because it's nothing but lies", which was quite funny. One lucky passenger got an extra 5,000 miles for future travel with the company. The only downside was the check-in machine, which didn't work correctly. I recommend this airline for people who want to fly for cheap with not many baggages.
RouteBaltimore to San Diego
Date FlownDecember 2017

"reputable airline would cost the same"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to New Orleans. The worst experience. The employees were rude. Asking a question “when will the flight board and depart?” The employee at the gate did not even look up and mumbled an answer that I couldn’t here. I paid for my bag according to their policy and then witnessed over half of the passengers carry on bags not tagged. The agent never even looked or inquired. All said and done a reputable airline would cost the same.
RouteAtlanta to New Orleans
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I did not receive a refund"

Trip Verified | Chicago to San Diego via Las Vegas. The worst airline ever. I will never fly them again and wish I had never taken the flight. Everything they say about customer service being horrible, uncomfortable seats and nickel and diming you is true! I booked a flight to get to San Diego Christmas day and after paying for my seat, my luggage and check in fee was waiting in the airport. 1st hour passes after take off and the plane is delayed. Second hour passes and the plane is marked delayed. Then an attendant gets on the speaker at the airport and announces, "Once again, if your on the flight to SD your plane has been cancelled. Please see the customer service desk for accommodations. The next flight to SD is tomorrow." Tomorrow? Tomorrow is not Christmas. Once again? When did they say it the first time. I finally got to the counter at the gate and was told they could not help me and that I should to go to Customer Service desk as instructed. This was Christmas day and I just wanted to make it in time to celebrate with family and instead I am stranded and dealing with rude Spirit employees. I ran over to Southwest Airlines that was in the same terminal and was able to book a flight to SD thankfully. The very friendly SW Agent told me to go back to Spirit and ask for luggage that was already checked in so it could travel with me. I went back to Spirit and asked them for my luggage. "We certainly don't have it here. You will have to get it from baggage claim", I was told. I asked if they could get it and was told no that I would have to go get it. So I had to run to baggage claim, leave the secure area and pick up my bag which was just sitting there. I then had to re-check in through TSA and get back to the SW gate before the flight took off. I happily made it home in time for Christmas. I contacted Spirit for a refund for my flight which cost $200, seat charge at $33 and luggage charge/check-in at $52. I felt this was fair since they cancelled the flight. After two days, I got an e-mail from Spirit. I did not receive a refund, I instead received a $50 Sorry voucher to be used on Spirit, just to add insult to injury.
RouteChicago to San Diego via Las Vegas

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]