Spirit Airlines

"I would not recommend"

Trip Verified | vHartford to Orlando. First email come in at 5:12 A.M.on June 24 2018 say it will delayed on flight #NK959,and then one after another email say we are not depart until next day at 11:50 A.M.it suppose scheduled depart on 7:25 P.M.on June 24,2018. Since they already known it will delayed fourteen hours ahead so long, why not doing some thing to fix this problem instead try to blame the weather but it is the mechanical problem. We not depart until next day at 12:31 P.M. I have lost one day on my vacation, one night on hotel room ,one day of rental car, parking garage fee so on, the Spirit Airline do not thing but try to criticizing about my baggage over size and make me pay 45.00 US dollar. The Carry on size 18x14x8 and my just the right size accepted the wheel, they wouldn't do any thing like this little thing, all they would do is make you pay. This is my first time also my last time with this airline. I would not recommend this airline.
RouteHartford to Orlando
Date FlownJune 2018

"refuse to take responsibility"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Las Vegas. The issue was with my online bags purchase. The money was deducted from my debit card, but did not go through via the webiste, so I called for assistance. I was told by the first agent that I had to call my bank, that the error was on their end, even though the payment showed in my account as approved, he kept telling me it had been declined. So I called my bank, which took roughly 20 minutes to get a live rep, and they told me that there was no issue w/ my card, that the payment was valid, and that I needed to call the airline back and guaranteed me that the transaction number they provided me would be all it took for agents to resolve the issue. The next agent I got from Spirit refused to try the transaction number, repeatedly telling me that the bank was wrong despite I just got off the phone with them. She repeatedly told me to be quiet and listen to her no matter how often I repeated that my bank had told me there was no issue with the card. She repeatedly refused to let me speak to a supervisor until I became extremely angry. Then I was put on hold for a long period until someone claiming to be a supervisor took my call. She proceeded to refuse to try the transaction number my bank had given me, but tried to run my card a 2nd time, which resulted in a 2nd error with my card. I had to call my bank back again to get them to return the funds to my account, transfer them to another account/card, and then repeat the full transaction. In total I was on the phone with your agents and my bank over an hour, for what should have been a 5 minute call. They refuse to take responsibility for their error, were rude on the phone, incompetent, and unwilling to try to resolve the issue.
RouteOrlando to Las Vegas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"one of the easiest flights"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Seattle. Flew a newer plane on July 2 and everything was good. Had read some very negative reviews and as this was my first time was somewhat concerned, however one of the easiest flights I ever had. as with many airlines got charged for picking seats in advance to be guaranteed a seat with my friend. Trays for drinks and food are a little too small.
RouteLas Vegas to Seattle
Date FlownJuly 2018

"I will fly with Spirit again"

Trip Verified | I flew Spirit airline from Baltimore to Minneapolis this weekend. Needed a cheap flight to drop off my son to visit some friends he has not seen in a while. While my main attraction was cheap, I did find this flight better than some higher fare flights I have taken in the past. Flight attendants were friendly, overall a pretty good experience. I was really happy that I could fly out and back in the same day. Again cheap- didn't want to pay for a hotel room. The site did tell me when I booked that the return flight usually runs 1/2 late. Which ended up being true, but I was prepared because of the notice when choosing the flight. So kudos for doing that, it was helpful. One recommendation for Spirit is give an option for booking one passenger a round trip and another passenger on the same booking as a one way. As I had difficulty booking my son so he wasn't showing as an unaccompanied minor -which is extra$$$ The only way around it to book everything as one way and if you have a connection you might end up with a problem if the airline runs late. One other comment..... the seat behind us the tray was broken and would not stay locked, so the attendant called for maintenance to "fix" it before we took off. All he did was tape it up, it looked bad even for bare fare - I have a picture of it, he didn't even do a good tape job. Unfortunately the person could not use the tray at all because of it. I think your maintenance needs to be a little more creative making the best of the situation for the passengers. Even though it is bare fare we the passengers did choose to spend our dollars on your product. And that is the reason for a 3 star. All in All I will fly with Spirit again.
RouteBaltimore to Minneapolis
Date FlownJune 2018

"the pilots didn't show up"

Trip Verified | Houston to Orlando. Our flight was scheduled to fly out at night but got rescheduled for the next morning because the pilots didn't show up. All the passengers went to the ticket counter to reschedule for the next morning. We stood in line for 3 hours to wait for the manager to provide a hotel voucher. We were told we wouldn't be given a hotel voucher and that we would have to make arrangements on our own. It was then tough to get a hotel at midnight b/c we had stood in line for 3 hours.
RouteHouston to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2018

"airline you do not want to fly with"

Trip Verified | I was flying from Santo Domingo to Ft Lauderdale and my flight after that was from Ft Lauderdale to Dallas. My first flight got delayed for an unknown reason and when on the plane it got delayed again because they needed to find a seat for someone. I landed at FT Lauderdale at around 7:30 and my next flight started to board at 7:40. I was with a group of about 12 people who were all trying to Dallas. Since we were entering the U.S. from a different country, we needed to go through customs and Re-check our bags. We asked the attendees if they could alert the next flight that there was a delay and that more than 12 people would be arriving late but they just said that we would make it through. After going through customs, we waited for our bags to arrive, we waited and waited and ended up missing the flight because of that. We then talked to one of the Spirit agents at there customer service center who then told us it was not Spirit’s fualt that the plane was delayed and that we would have to wait two days to get to our destination and that they would not pay for a hotel. This is crazy, I’m a minor and they couldn’t even get me a hotel room. The lady told me she had to get something and when she came back, she had a phone and charger and plugged it in the wall, what a joke. I had to sleep at the airport last night and booked an American flight. Spirit is an airline you do not want to fly with.
RouteSanto Domingo to Fr Lauderdale

"no customer service"

Trip Verified | Flew Spirit Airlines from Orlando to Newark. Absolutely horrible! The flight in was so cold passengers complained but they did not turn the air down. I felt sorry for the small children. The flight out was delayed from 2.28pm with no definite boarding time. Apparently, a window needed repair on the plane. There is no customer service to keep passengers updated (they were lying to us non stop). A matter of fact they set the delay for one hour increments. Passengers actually thought they were going to board the plane every hour and were told nope not ready yet.
RouteOrlando to Newark

"done with Spirit"

Trip Verified | I wanted to change my flight back by 2 days and Spirit wanted to charge me $100 for flight change plus balance of the new ticket - thats $100 cost more than what I paid for my ticket which was $65. hat made no sense to me. This will be my last time flying with Spirit, their charges are to high for everything including baggage. It's really ridiculous. I'm done with Spirit.
RouteAtlanta to West Palm Beach
Date FlownJune 2018

"disregard for the consumer"

Not Verified | Atlanta to Detroit. We booked a flight for my son with Spirit to come home to visit his family and friends. It was due to depart Atlanta at 4:21 to arrive in Detroit at 6:22. My son had to make a two hour drive to Atlanta and provided himself with the standard two hour window to make his flight. After parking in a prepaid parking lot and taking the shuttle to the airport, we received an email from Spirit that his flight had been cancelled. We received this email at 1:57; less than two and a half hours before his scheduled departure. He was instructed to check in upon his arrival at the airport. He went immediately to the counter and all they would offer him was either a refund or they would reschedule him on another flight...two days later!! When I personally called, I was told there was nothing they could do. They cannot control the weather. I am a commercial pilot, so I checked the radar for the time of the originally scheduled flight. There was absolutely NO weather issues that would have prevented this flight from continuing. My son was left stranded, two hours from his home and thirteen and a half hours from his final destination. He is now missing out on two days of his visit since he is now driving through the night just to get here. We are more than disappointed at Spirit's disregard for the consumer. We will never fly Spirit again and intend to share our disgust with everyone we know. We even have a Spirit credit card that we were using to earn miles to fly with Spirit in the future. This card will also be cancelled. It is absolutely unbelievable to me that Spirit can just up and cancel a flight leaving all those people who paid good money for that flight high and dry. Beware of this airline. They clearly have no regard for the very same people who keep them in business. On another note, Spot Hero was fantastic. They gave us a full refund for our prepaid parking. Also, for our "inconvenience" (casued by Spirit) they gave us a credit on our account for future parking.
RouteAtlanta to Detroit

Spirit Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | Houston to Oakland via Los Angeles. Terrible service. Lost my bag, was told at the airport that the bag will be delivered to me once it was found. The bag was traced the next day and the company called me to come and collect it from the airport. I live miles away from the airport and work long hours during the week. Wrote to the company and was given a number which nobody answers. Saving a few dollars is NOT worth the agony! I learned the bitter way.
RouteHouston to Oakland via Los Angeles

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]