Spirit Airlines

"checking is absurd"

Trip Verified | Denver to Detroit. The Spirit Airlines 45 min checking is absurd, I tried checking online, but it asked me to go to the kiosk, then the kiosk asked me to go to an agent. And then the agent says sir you are 9 mins late we cannot issue you a ticket. This is absurd and unfair.
RouteDenver to Detroit
Date FlownApril 2018

"definitely fly Spirit again"

Trip Verified | Columbus to Orlando. This was our first flight on Spirit. We took both of our kids (5 and 7) to Orlando, FL for Spring break. We had no hassles - super easy trip. Everyone we met was very friendly. We actually lost (forgot to grab) an iPad from under our seat and the Spirit team found it, tracked us down and shipped it to us. A big Thank You to the cleaning and gate crew for Flight 1668 on April 2nd. We will definitely fly Spirit again!
RouteColumbus to Orlando

"deserves the reputation"

Trip Verified | Boston to Fort Myers. Spirit could not keep track of my TSA Known Traveler ID. I bought and paid for my TSA Known Traveler ID. I entered my number when I booked the flight. Spirit did not ask for the expiration number, there was no field asking for it. The KT id showed up each time I went to print my boarding pass but it never showed up on my boarding passes. After speaking with 2 Spirit People in Boston, 1 person on the phone (who told me he solved my problem but he did not) I spoke with 2 people in Fort Myers. I went to the TSA office in Fort Myers and they correctly identified the problem as a Spirit Airline problem. In the end the 2 people at the Spirit Airline counter in Ft Myers tell me that they didn't have my expiration date for my Know Traveler Id. Spirit never asked for it nor has any other airline I have traveled in the last 2 years. Furthermore they told me if I could get my expiration date it wouldn't do me any good for that flight anyway. Furthermore no one's KT id has expired because the program isn't old enough! I don't buy the fact that the expiration date is needed, but if there has been some change - no one else seemed to be having the problem I was having and it took me talking with 5 different people from Spirit Airlines to find out that they couldn't do anything. Spirit Airlines deserves the reputation that it has earned.
RouteBoston to Fort Myers

"The price is great"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Plattsburgh. The price is great, and you pay for what you bring. We travel light, we bring our own drinks and snacks, and the planes are in great shape (most are new). The seats fit us just fine (we are average height/ weight) they don’t recline but they are comfortable for the just under a 3 hour flight. Customer service was helpful at the busy airport and we checked our bag with ease. We printed out our passes at home (spirit sends an email to help with this). We checked our guitar that arrived there and home in great shape. Will use this airline again. I think if people travel light, print boarding passes at home and are average size (not really tall or heavy) this airline will save money and be a great experience.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Plattsburgh
Date FlownApril 2018

"worst company I travelled with"

Trip Verified | Atlantic City to Fort Lauderdale. Our flight was cancelled from 7:50 pm To 3.40 pm the next day. They called this a delay. They didn’t want to refund any money, they didn’t offer transportation to other airports, they didn’t give us food or even water. The worst company I ever travelled with.
RouteAtlantic City to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2018

"never been treated so rudely"

Trip Verified | Latrobe to Fort Lauderdale. I have never been treated so rudely in all my life. They hide fees, treat you like second class citizens and actually go out of their way to humiliate you. I travel quite a lot, first and last time on Spirit Arlines. Never have experienced anything like this before.
RouteLatrobe to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownApril 2018

"an excellent flight with them"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Los Angeles. I had an excellent flight with them. Boarding went quick and smoothly and we departed on-time and arrived early. Right away after reaching cruise, the crew started serving. They charge for everything on board but it is all reasonably priced and of great value. The legroom was not terrible, it was better than I expected it to be, and the seats were comfortable making this 4 hour flight very enjoyable. FAs came thru the cabin often making sure no one needed anything. They were friendly and one of them even cracked a few jokes, making a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Complete incompetence"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to Orlando. Spirit Airlines is the worst. Fees to choose seats. Weight limit is 40lbs not 50lbs for bags. Fee for bag is excessive at $40 instead of standard $25. Best of all the flight is delayed 2.5 hours because flight attendant didn’t show up for work. Boarded everyone, then got all of us off the plane. Complete incompetence.
RoutePhiladelphia to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2018

"very happy with my experience"

Trip Verified | Houston to Tampa. I feel no one ever decides to leave a good review but people are very quick to leave a bad review! Here is my experience: After I booked my first ticket with Spirit Airlines And looked at the reviews I was terrified. On flying with them on three occasions I have had absolutely no problems. All my flights were on time and if there was any slight change of even a minute I was notified. Check in was very smooth and likewise with boarding. The staff were very friendly and I see nothing wrong with the snacks I got either. It's clearly not going to be a 5 star plane with the price you pay! But I seen great value for money with my flight price and I was very happy with my experience. So thank you to all the crew at Spirit Airlines.
RouteHouston to Tampa
Date FlownMarch 2018

"my flights were horrible"

Trip Verified | San Diego to Chicago. I made a last minute purchase with Spirit not realizing how bad they are. Both my flights were horrible. The way there was delayed for no reason. The flight crew and service was the worst! The plane was nasty and smelt. The return flight was supposed to leave at 1030 am. At 1030, they said the flight was just leaving Newark and wouldn't be boarding until 1:56pm. Why would they wait so long to tell us? The customer service was rude and provided no assistance. Call the 1-800 number and press 5 then 1 then 6 to talk to someone. They won't be able to help but it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to talk to a live person.
RouteSan Diego to Chicago

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]