Spirit Airlines

"nickle and dime for everything"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Santiago via Ft Lauderdale. First to find their exact prices on the luggage wasn't clear on their website, I saw some people shocked at the check-in assuming the weight was the same as other airlines. They nickle and dime for everything I was surprised the restroom was free, cramped, sitting I hardly had room to put my purse under the seat, the stroller for my lap baby wasn't available at my international destination so I had to hold my granddaughter while standing in a long line at custom, I'm a disabled vet so this was very painful. Spirit Airlines was the worse airline I have ever used and will never flight on it again, the price wasn't worth the nightmare.
RouteDallas to Santiago via Ft Lauderdale

"nickle and dime you"

Trip Verified | Ft Lauderdale to Boston. If you're looking for a value of airfare these days, there's no such thing anymore. But most definitely, look elsewhere than Spirit. Spirit's motto is to nickle and dime you for everything. They've taken away the included carryon, which every other major airline offers. And their overweight checked baggage starts at 40lbs rather than 50lbs like every other major airlines. So you might as well fly the next cheapest airline because your out of pocket cost will most likely be the same, if not better, and you'll receive better service.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Boston

"Never again"

Not Verified | Flight was originally at 7am from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale. The airline promised us to leave no later than 10am when the delay notice came across the screen then with no notice they changed the flight to 1150, and not to arrive to ft Lauderdale until 240pm. Way to wake up at 3am for what - 12 hours later after wasting a whole day waiting. Never again. Staff was rude from the minute of walking into the airport and still cannot accommodate guests.
RoutePittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale

"Very uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Flew Spirit Airlines from Las Vegas to Fort Lauderdale. Very uncomfortable! There is no leg room and hopefully you don’t have a long flight because it will be your worst one, they charge you for everything when the plane isn’t worth it. They don’t even give complimentary snacks or drinks. Never again!
RouteLas Vegas to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownJuly 2018

"most difficult time ever"

Not Verified | Rudest staff and most difficult time ever. We booked Spirit knowing they were a budget airline. We didn’t want or need any extra accommodations, we thought. But even asking for water for my three and four year old was $3 and you can’t pay cash. Some poor man had to ask other people on the flight to pay for him something to drink because he only had cash. When we showed up right on time for our flight, they informed us the plane had left early even though on their system, we were clearly there and checked in. They made us wait in a freezing airport with two small kids, for 9 hours. All while looking at the delta flight across from us all snuggled up with free blankets and pillows while they waited. It was miserable. When we finally arrived to where we were going, after being awake for 24 hours, nobody was at the lost and early luggage stand for over an hour. We waited and called everywhere possible. All the other airlines had people at their stands except ours. We finally saw one woman with Spirit come down. We asked her if she could help. She mumbled at us, and said “I’m not doing that. There’s someone else who will but he’s busy right now. You see there? He’ll come down there just like I did, bye.” And stormed off. All I wanted was my children’s car seats so we could go home.
RouteAtlanta to Newark
Date FlownJune 2018

"worst trip ever"

Trip Verified | Flight was delayed over 2 and half hours so me and my wife sat for 4 hours at the airport. Then we make it to Fort Lauderdale and take our luggage to their luggage customer service where the lady say gate E-9 just like our ticket says, we wait on the flight at that gate and we find out about 10 minutes before our flight leaves that it has been moved to a new gate. We run to the new gate only to see it is closed. Talk to customer service and they basically say, sorry not sorry, it is your responsibility to make sure you are at the correct gate. After I heard this the same airline announce gate changes for 4 of their other flights. Talked to a supervisor, she said there was nothing we can do. In all we have waited about 16 hours, worst trip ever.
RouteSantiago, Dominican Republic to Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2018

"all I was asking for is to help me"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Boston. I bought the tickets on just fly. So that was easy. They adviced me to check bags online for lower rates than at the airport. The email I got from spirit only had. Check In option. So instead of clicking that I manually went online to their website and check bags. Their website kept saying wrong email address. Or wrong confirmation code. This was 7pm. My flight was at 11 the next day. I got frustrated after trying 9 times. I gave up went to that email and clicked check in. I ended up paying double the fees at the airport. I thought I would take it up with customer service once I landed. Oh well you can forget about that there was a guy would not speak English he was not understanding at all what I was trying to say I asked for someone who spoke English, frustrated again that he was not clear on what my issue was. He kept saying sorry for getting charged twice! When a supervisor came on, she interrogated me - How did you put in the code? I typed it. What did you put in as cnfm code? I said it her memorized! Are you sure you didn’t write 1 instead if i ?? Ma’am I promise you I can read and write. I’m doing it right now and it seems to be working just fine. Couldn’t be possible that it wasn’t working last night and it’s working now? A glitch perhaps? Just because it’s working now does not prove that it acted up last night. Her final comment was if we find out that the site was having some issues we’ll contact you. That was it! Already the “number 1 and i“ comment had put such bad taste in my mouth and all I was asking for is to help me out with my return baggage since I’d paid double already.
AircraftAirbus
RouteAtlanta to Boston
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Won’t fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Denver to Los Angeles. Don’t fly with this airline! They delayed my flight over 5 hours and I had to book another really expensive ticket with another airline to make my connection to Japan. Won’t fly with them again.
RouteDenver to Los Angeles
Date FlownJuly 2018

"No reason or explanation"

Trip Verified | We were scheduled to fly out of Vegas to Tampa on July 3. About 3 hrs before our flight, received an email that our flight had been cancelled. No reason or explanation. I had to choose a different flight the next day - boarding three different planes to arrive in Tampa (from a direct flight originally booked). Spent the entire 4th of July riding on their very cramped planes from morning until night- finally arriving in Tampa just before midnight. I will definitely do my best to avoid Spirit airlines at all costs for future travel.
RouteLas Vegas to Tampa via Detroit, Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownJuly 2018

"more expensive than you think"

Trip Verified | Houston to Cancun. Worst experience ever! The ticket agent caused our delay. We had to pay over $500 for rebooking. A two hour direct flight became a day and a half since the new flight had 2 stops. We had to sleep in the airport with 2 children, waiting for our 3rd and final destination flight. Lost our luggage, broke another and we had to fight the airline to find our luggage. On top of it all, spirit has the worse customer service agents ever experienced. I don't care if I have to pay more but flying Spirit is more expensive than you think. Not to mention, frustration and stress.
RouteHouston to Cancun
Date FlownJune 2018

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]