Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines customer review

I fly Spirit Airlines often have been using this airlines for years. Yes they do charge for nearly everything. However flying from LGA to MYR Spirit is the way to go. Just be prepared check in at LGA is a real pain. Make sure you get there early once checked in everything always seems to go smoothly. Check in at MYR is much easier and more efficient. Book way in advance and choose the seat you would like my wife and I always spend the bucks for the wide seats so much better than other seats. Check out other airlines you will find Spirit to be the best going between the two airports listed above.

Spirit Airlines customer review

I travelled to El Salvador in South America 10 days ago. When returning to NYC my first flight was delayed and that caused me to miss my connecting flight. Their only option was to stay in El Salvador from Sunday that I was supposed to leave all the way to Wednesday! They offer to give me a partial refund but was not even going to cover a fraction of a new last minute ticket! I managed to convince them to put me on stand by for the following connecting flight and after 10hrs delay I was able to be in NYC on Sunday. When we arrived to NYC they called our names and the lady at baggage claim told us our bags could not be delivered. Today is Monday afternoon and I still do not know where my bags are.

Spirit Airlines customer review

A disaster. Flight delayed 1.5 hours out and 7 hours back. Gate did not work at LaGuardia after we landed 6 hours late and everyone had to stay seated for an extra hour until we were towed to another gate. Then about 30-50 people never got their luggage on a non stop flight from Myrtle Beach to LaGuardia! No one to talk to when you call for baggage voicemail tells you to call airport. Airport says call Spirit.

Spirit Airlines customer review

My husband and I booked a last-minute trip on Spirit when we had two previously planned trips cancelled due to Noreaster snow storms. Beginning with check-in there was no rhyme or reason to the process. A Spirit Airlines employee was randomly pulling the queue elastics this way and that to create new lines. Individuals began pushing in front of others in an attempt to get to the counter. In reading other reviews it appears that there are random luggage (poundage) limits at different times and locations. Some mentioned 45 some 50 (what most of us expect). In Baltimore it was 40 pounds. An extra $105! Coming back it was $50 for the same weight. Flight times offered for our route were very inconvenient and limited. Many reviews speak of rude employees. Our "attendants" were not rude. They did however appear that they showed up to work in whatever they had on at the moment. I cannot state how unprofessional this operation is. You will end up paying more for an incredibly inferior product. In return you will have seats offering literally no room to move zero ability to recline your seat back no complimentary beverage (including water) and a distinct lack of professionalism and standards.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Please ensure you understand all baggage policies and fees prior to booking with Spirit. While this airline markets good prices for tickets you definitely end up paying more on the back end. Not worth the hassle on the extra fees and the poor customer service. One example we experienced was the delayed landing into Ft. Lauderdale due to fog. I understand and respect the fact we could not land and had to fly to Ft. Myers FL until we got clearance. However I was appalled by the fact Spirit had to re-fuel in Ft. Myers. On top of that they did not even offer complimentary water during the entire 3.5 hr delay while we were on flight. This is just to name one incident. There are more but too many to list in this review. All I can say is you should consider another airline as you will end up paying the same amount considering their "extra baggage fees" check-in hassle and poor customer service.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Last month I flew from Myrtle Beach International to La Guardia in NYC. I must say I had a great experience! Check in was a breeze. Did quick bag drop. The crew on board were nice. Flight is only 1 hr 20 min. Same great service on the way back. Did quick bag drop at La Guardia. They had double booked a seat but the crew were very efficient with solving the problem and we were all able to stay onboard! I'm flying using Spirit again in May! Only thing is the baggage fees which I was not thrilled about. Also there aren't any complimentary drinks or food but the trip was less than 90 minute so it's not that serious.

Spirit Airlines customer review

My family has used Spirit twice in the last two months. The first time my husband booked the flight and was very excited about getting my family of 5 tickets to Atlanta for around $70 a piece. I went onto their website and found that everything cost extra. Luggage food printing boarding passes and even being able to sit with your family. It states that sitting with your family is not guaranteed unless you reserve your seats starting at $10 a piece. I thought surely they would allow small children to sit with their parents but called to be sure. All they could say was "we cannot guarantee that your children will be able to sit with you but we will try". My children are 1 4 and 6 I could not leave that to chance. I was surprised however that my 1 year olds ticket was free because he could sit on our lap. They even allowed us to check his car seat for free. We arrived 2 hours early (5am) with plenty of staff to direct us where to go. The flight attendants were nice. The seats didn't recline but the flight was smooth. The second time my husband and my son were flying to ATL again. I went to help my husband check his bag and the car seat. We arrive at the Spirit area there are 4 reps working the counters. We stand in line for 15 minutes with one person in front of us. During that time several people joined the line behind us. A rep then walks up to replace one of the other ones points at everyone and yells "if your checking bags your in the wrong line these are just for people booking flights." She directs everyone to one representative and all of the people who were in front of the line are now at the back. After waiting 20 minutes it is our turn. We walk up to the rep and seeing that we don't have our boarding pass pre-printed. the first words out of his mouth are "you know your going to have to pay ten bucks for printing your boarding pass." I explain that we were not allowed to because of the "infant in lap." He then tries to tell me that we are in the wrong line and tries to direct me back to the line I was originally in. He acted like everything was an inconvenience. He checked out luggage and pointed to an area for oversized luggage for our car seat. I didn't go on the flight with my husband and son so I can only hope that the customer service was better than what we received at the check in counter. So I have had one good experience and one bad experience with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines customer review

Their "Fast Bag Drop" at MSP took longer than most normal check-ins at a regular airline and at LAX we had a line of over 100 people as they were having computer issues and the employee's stated it was a common occurrence. Once in the plane the seat arrangements are uncomfortable and unsafe for passengers and crew. Every passenger over 5'8" had to straddle the seat in front of them and everyone on the aisle row had their leg in the aisle as you could not sit in your seat with your feet in front of you. Your knees would pushed up against the metal seat frame in front of you. When we landed at LAX and the pilot hit the brakes a bit hard to make a turnoff myself and three others around me all jammed our knees into the metal frames. When I said something to the flight attendant they stated it was a common occurrence and apologized for the seats being so close.

Spirit Airlines customer review

From ORD on March 21 to Las Vegas returning 3/25/14. Some of the time on our flights the staff were great but on the return flight the staff patronized everyone on the plane. I have not been a child for over 20 years I have never been told that if you need to use lavatory on an airplane that one needs to wait in their seat until no one is in the lavatory because we are not allowed to congregate. If you want to get screwed by hidden fees delayed flights and not even a glass of complementary water go to Spirit. I have traveled a lot via planes and now I realize that saving $30.00 in the beginning is a gimmick. I have never checked in a bag that only allowed 40lbs and charged $50.00 to check it in I think $1.25 a pound is a little extreme. I am glad that I had a heads up about the fees but many foreigners on this airline were being charged $100.00 because they did not understand these crazy fees. The only explanation they were given was its on our website.

Spirit Airlines customer review

ACY-FLL return. Having read the reviews here I was prepared for the worst. However I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Perhaps flying out of Atlantic City's small airport helped. Both flights were on time ground crew and cabin crew got to work and were pleasant enough. I must admit I scoured their website for all their travel conditions and was well aware of all details and ensured all check in baggage was within the weight limit and dimensions before I got to the airport. I did see quite a number of people complaining and carrying on about being charged for their bags at both FLL and ACY. Its not that hard to avert these situations at the airport. The trick is to just be extra vigilant with things like baggage weight and all the conditions of your ticket with Spirit before you get to the airport. It is a budget carrier so it seems ridiculous to pay bottom dollar and then expect Emirates style service. On board as everyone knows their legroom is notoriously minimal and probably not going to kill you on a short 2-3 hour flight. A longer trans-continental though might just begin to. There's only buy on board snacks so bring your own. That's pretty much par for the course even if you fly with one of the bigger legacy carriers. BYO Entertainment too. For this short trip Spirit made sense and delivered. United and AA were both about $200 more for a comparable route and while they might offer frequent flyer mileage possibly entertainment there was little else that would have been dramatically different sad to say.

Spirit Airlines Photos

Spirit Airlines is a low-cost airline. Apart from the seat on your flight, you have to pay extra for carry-on bag, checked luggage, printing boarding pass at the airport, early boarding, seat reservation, drink or snack on the plane, ticket change or cancellation.

AIRPORT / BAG CHARGES

To maximise the benefit of selecting Spirit Airlines as your low-cost airline, it is very important that you carefully check and follow all of their conditions - printing your boarding pass, paying in advance for any checked or carry-on baggage.

Pay checkin Boarding pass : see below
1st Checked Bag : $21 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $26 *booked online
Carry-On Bag : $100 *at the gate
Ticket change : $110
One small personal item taken onboard is included in the "Bare fare" (Max size: 16"x14"x12")
2_6_spacer
The above charges are for guidance and subject to change. They should be checked directly with the airline for accuracy

WATCH THE BAGGAGE

Your free allowance is 1 x personal item on Spirit Airlines flights (Max size: 16"x14"x12"). All other carry-on and checked bags have to be paid for. It is IMPORTANT to do this online at the time you book, or you could end up being charged USD$100 per carry-on bag if you leave it until the boarding gate.

ONBOARD FLIGHTS

No IFEAudio / video
Buy Onboard Buy Onboard *see below
Pay Bar Buy Onboard *see below
2_6_spacer
SAMPLE BUY ONBOARD PRICES (USD)
Water $2 / Coffee $3 / Beer $7
Muffin $2.50 / Pringles $2.50
2_6_spacer
Payment onboard can only be made with major credit cards : no cash. The prices shown are for guidance only and are subject to change. You should check charges directly with the airline for accuracy.

AIRCRAFT

Spirit Airlines operate a fleet of Airbus narrowbody aircraft, including A319, A320 and A321 types. Seats are configured 3x3 for economy class, and 2x2 for Big Front seats. [Photo Spirit Airlines]