Airline of the Year

Malindo Air

"business class not worth the price"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Perth to Kuala Lumpur. Malindo use the Qantas Business lounge in Perth which is comfortable and well equipped. Boarding was announced late at the lounge and the flight was delayed by 40 minutes due to late arrival of the aircraft from KL. Boarding was fast and once on board, we took off on time. Not a single apology about the delay from either the FA's or the pilot. Announcements from the flight deck were unclear but FA announcements were fine. The food was much better this time but no hot beverages were served because of turbulence. The seat belt sign was effectively switched on for over half the flight despite periods of calm weather. The seat was quite uncomfortable and the levers were really stiff and getting the seat into reclining position was difficult. Unfortunately, the IFE was the same on the way back making the journey really boring. I would probably travel in economy next time because the business class product is not worth the price. Having said that, I got good fares at a sale online.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RoutePerth to Kuala Lumpur

"basically glorified economy"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Perth on 18 May. Malindo use the Sama Sama Hotel lobby as their lounge. Boarding was efficient. The seats were wide but very uncomfortable with a flimsy and rock hard headrest. They don't recline much and have 4 separate levers to manoeuvre the seat into different positions. IFE is rudimentary but okay for a short flight. The meals are not anything special. They are basically glorified economy meals of slightly larger portion served on china. FA's were pleasant and efficient. They give out a Batik Air amenity kit which was basic. There are no bells and whistles about this business class and by other airlines standards, this would basically be premium economy. They advertise wifi but it wasn't working on the outbound journey. It used to be free for a period of time but now it costs quite a lot to use. Not worth the price.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteKuala Lumpur to Perth
Date FlownMay 2017

"experience with Malindo is horrible"

Verified Review | Never travel Malindo Air in Business Class: I traveled to and from Tiruchirapalli to Kuala Lumpur. Being a expat businessman, I travel by business class on many airlines. My experience with Malindo is horrible. On both ways from the available menu, I asked for chicken. They said 'finished'. The Aloo Paratha given was not to a good standard. Hence, I travelled hungry. The seats are with more legroom, but not comfortable. Excess booking of Economy class passengers were put into Business class. That has changed the Business class atmosphere. More leg room economy class would have been economical and better. I will never travel business class on Malindo again.
RouteTiruchirapalli to Kuala Lumpur

"I forfeited my tickets"

Verified Review | Penang to Perth via Kuala Lumpur. Worst company ever! I am frequent flyer with multiple airlines and the way they handle passengers is ridiculous. The staff have no clue what is happening, from loading passengers, to baggage drop to offloading passengers that miss flights that they cause. I forfeited my tickets after experiencing their service. I will never fly with this airline.
RoutePenang to Perth via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMay 2017

"worst experience with this airline"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | I have had the worst experience with this airline, and it is still continuing over a week later. I arrived to the airport for my flight from Kathmandu to Kuala Lumpur on 30 April 2017 and was advised that the flight had been cancelled and was rescheduled for 8 hours later. Due to this I missed a connecting flight from Kuala Lumpur which I had to pay to change out of pocket. The airline was "not responsible" for compensating my missed flight and advised I could claim this through travel insurance. Surely it is known that a flight cancellation letter must be provided to customers in order for insurance to be claimed for this. This was not provided and despite many emails sent to the customer team I am still yet to be provided one and therefore unable to complete a claim. The customer team replies once every couple of days and sometimes not at all. Once finally arriving in Kuala Lumpur the entire flight comes to know that the airline has off loaded everyones luggage. Not only was this not advised during flight, the entire flight of customers waited at the baggage carousel in Kuala Lumpur for 20 minutes before anyone even advised that no luggage had actually been bought from Kathmandu at all. Despite it being a week later my luggage has still not been located. Even customer service from my local airport is trying to follow up (as I am not getting any reply emails regarding this) and are not getting a straight response at all. Despite calling internationally and staying on queue, (not getting through to anyone) and sending multiple emails, no straight answer has been obtained from anyone about either two of my simple requests. Not only has there been multiple disruptions to my journey, the customer service team are not assisting at all by helping to resolve the issues that they have created for me in the first place.
RouteKathmandu to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownApril 2017

"flight experience was great"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Flew from Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur via Bangkok. Booked this Malindo Air flight at the time because it was cheaper than AirAsia and for number of other reasons - 30KG free check-in luggage and free meal on board. For a budget airline, that was impressive. When booked the flight, it was a direct flight from Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur. However 2 weeks before the flight, I received an email notifying the flight we booked was no longer operating due to the airline route re-structuring. That was a bummer definitely and we were left with 2 options - full refund or re-route for transit at Don Muang airport in Bangkok. I chose the latter and only to find out the flight from Chiang Mai - Bangkok is with their sister airline Thai Lion Air. Therefore only fly with Malindo Air for the last leg (Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur). Safe to say calling them was a pain and the customer service staff at the call centre should be re-trained - rude and was not attentive at all. I did not receive my updated e-tickets as promised and that caused delay upon checking in at Chiang Mai airport. Luckily arrived at the airport 3hrs before departing. Everything else on board was great. Meals (lasagne and apple crumble pie) was OK although the apple crumble pie tasted like plastic. Got to give credit to the inflight entertainment and spacious legroom. All in all, the flight experience was great. However, the experience with the call centre and flight re-routing was not pleasant. If had not been re-routed, to say Malindo Air is a budget airline is so underrated.
RouteChiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur via Bangkok
Date FlownApril 2017

"I chose to be refunded"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | I booked a flight with Malindo Air from Singapore to Miri via Kuala Lumpur supposed to be. But Malindo Air cancelled their flights after April 2017 from Kuala Lumpur to Miri and my flight is on July 21. Malindo Air gave me an option to have a re-route to Kuching which is like 12hrs drive away from Miri and an hour flight from Kuching to Miri. So I don't even know how Malindo Airways could think its a solution to the problem they brought their paying customer in. Another solution from them is to have my booking cancelled and everything will be refunded. Of course, I chose to be refunded and just had a different booking instead. So the cancellation request was done on April 6, 2017. Today is April 27. I checked my credit card online transaction to see if they already refunded my money, they still haven't. I emailed Malindo Air and they informed me that refund will be reflected within 12 weeks.
RouteSingapore to Miri via KL
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"really horrible experience"

Verified Review | Denpasar to Mumbai via Kuala Lumpur. The worst experience ever. The food and service were not good, quality of food was below average. There was no inflight entertainment, how could you spend the time of 5 hours? I asked for blanket to crew and they said there was no blanket. I think it was due to cheap air ticket, but it is not fair to adjust it with cuts of such facilities. It was a really horrible experience.
RouteDenpasar to Mumbai via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownApril 2017

"worst budget airline I flew"

Verified Review | Flew from Brisbane to Bali return. It's the worst budget airline I flew. Bad food, Bad entertainment and poor time management. Very poor quality of food compared to other budget airlines. The Hollywood section only had 8 movies to select from on a 6 hour flight. Even jetstar does a better selection of movies. The flight was delayed both times during departure and it was disorganised and chaotic. The cleanliness of the airplane was questionable. The blankets were not wrapped on the return flight.
RouteBrisbane to Denpasar
Date FlownApril 2017

"no solution was available"

Verified Review | Langkawi to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur. I was flying with my wife and two kids. Arriving at the airport, the staff informed us that the flight had 1h 30 delays. I immediately told them that it will mean that we will miss our connection. After checking they told that we will take then a next day flight from Kuala Lumpur. As many options were available from alternative company to go to Singapore, I told them that it was not possible for our family to go to Singapore the next day as I will have missed a business flight that I had to take on the monday and the kids had some exam at school. After discussing 30 minutes, they came back telling us that the plane will wait for us in KL. Guess what, arriving at the plane was gone and they proposed us the original option which was to stay 20KM away from the airport in a small hotel and take the next day flight. I again complained and ask them to book us on flight from KL to singapore as 5 flights were still available. They told me to wait for their manager which I did, but this busy person only came after one hour to inform me that no solution was available. This waiting time has prevented me to take a flight on my own and then claim it via insurance. So if you have the opportunity to take this company and you have a transfer, run away.
RouteLangkawi to Singapore via KL