Best Economy Class Seats

Malindo Air

"still falling short in many areas"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | With a much cheaper fare than CX and MH, a business class service superior to Air Asia, I had high hopes but was sadly disappointed. On this trip, I bought a one way outbound with Malindo from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur as a trial, inbound with MH. The day before the flight, they rang from the head office to take my order for the inflight meal which was impressive. Then on the morning of my travel, they rang to inform me that plane would be delayed three hours. At least I was informed early enough, so I didn't have to go to the airport, check in Hong Kong was fine, plaza premium lounge was offered. Boarding was orderly and cabin neat, crew are welcoming. For some unknown reason the flight took off half an hour later than the said time. I was further disappointed to be told all the entertainment system and in seat power were not working. Lucky I had my iPad with me to watch a film, unlucky for others. Meals delivered and was delicious but quite a small portion and quite spicy. This would be a problem for western palate who may not be used to that level of spiciness. Crew did not come around often enough to top up drinks, but at least the service was courteous. Seats are standard recliner, a little hard but fine for a three hour flight. Upon landing nearly midnight, long disorderly queue at the immigration with lots of people trying to cut queues and no officers to control the situation, Malindo didn't offer fast track like MH. Another good 45 minutes spent at just getting through immigration. Bags were delivered late, and priority bags were not delivered first, costing another half and hour. I was supposed to be in town by 8pm, turned out to be nearly 1 am, the hassle was not worth the money saved. Malindo tried their best to be in competition but still falling short in many areas and a bit amateurish. Given time, this may improve. They offer to fly to other further destinations as far away as Perth in Australia. However, given the unreliability and other matters, I'd hate to think what happen if one misses a connection and how they would handle it? For now, it's back to MH for me if going to Kuala Lumpur.
RouteHKG to KUL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"plenty of room to improve"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | I have flown with Malindo Air several times due to having a competitive product in terms of aircraft and facilities offered. Flew from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur. I like their seat, free meal, free inflight entertainment etc but their crew service had been disappointing. Most of the crew members were young but lacked of professionalism in terms of their attitude. They lack smiles, no eye contact with passengers and the way they communicate with passengers was not that polite. Malindo Air still have plenty of room to improve in term of customer service.
RouteBKI to KUL
Date FlownJune 2016

"crew were attentive and friendly"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Flew from Penang Int to Subang Airport with Malindo Air. Flight time was about 1 hour onboard ATR72-600. Check-in was a breeze, with 15kg luggage allowance and I got the seat I booked. Boarding was quick and greeted warmly by the crew. Aircraft still new but seat pitch is small but tolerable for a short flight. Malindo serves a pack of crackers and water on short flights which was nice. The crew were attentive and friendly throughout the flight. We touched down 10 mins ahead of schedule.
AircraftATR72-600
RoutePEN to SZB
Date FlownMarch 2016

"lounge in KUL was unavailable"

(Sri Lanka)

Verified Review | Jakarta to Colombo via Kuala Lumpur with Malindo Air. The fact that the lounge in KUL was unavailable was not mentioned once when we purchased the ticket and this is no better than the attitude of the customer service staff at the transit desk. Apparently all they could do was give us a hotline number which is available on the Web and a 30RM meal voucher. So here we are spending a 7-hour transit paying for separate lounge access while flying business class - not acceptable.
RouteCGK to CMB via KUL
Date FlownJune 2016

"seats and legroom were comfortable"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | I flew with Malindo Air on 29 May 2016 from Kota Bharu to Subang. I had been informed 2 days earlier that my flight time had been changed from 11.25 to 11.50 am. Check in was smooth. Flight departed and landed on time. The plane was clean and tidy. The seats and legroom were comfortable. Both ground staff and cabin crews were very friendly. During the flight I was offered a complimentary drink and some crackers. Overall, it was very good service.
AircraftATR72-600
RouteKBR to SZB
Date FlownMay 2016

"seat comfort could be improved"

Verified Review | Flying with a low cost carrier I did not expect much from Malindo Air but my expectations were exceeded. Flew from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong. With their fleet of 737's they seem to fly from KLIA and not KLIA2 which is the better option. The aircraft's were very clean but the seat comfort in terms of softness could be improved as it felt a little stiff over time. Services, especially inflight were very pleasant, especially the flight attendants who were very helpful and always had smiles on their faces. There were three meal options provided on each leg and they were serving drinks at least 4 times throughout the 3.5hr flight. A few choices of Hollywood movies could have been added as five felt a bit small. From now on I will certainly prefer them over AirAsia.
RouteKUL to HKG
Date FlownMay 2016

"need better customer service"

I flew from Perth to Colombo on 27th of April and was impressed with Malindo Air. The plane was new with lots of leg room in economy class. The food was good Chicken Biriyani on both sectors, and they give you 30 kilos of baggage on this route. I had nothing but good to say about this flight until I came to Colombo and I got only 1 of my suitcases - the other one is missing and it is a case of nobody knows anything about the missing baggage (now 8 days). I call the baggage section at Colombo and filled in the form etc but nobody helps with information on what the are doing to retrieve my suitcase from wherever. They need better customer service to help their passengers.
AircraftBoeing 737 800
RoutePER to CMB via KUL
Date FlownApril 2016

"excellent value for money"

Verified Review | Flew Malindo Air from Kuala Lumpur to Lahore. Smart, comfortable, great value and great pilots. Friendly, well-dressed and neat cabin staff. Nice leather seats. 30kg free baggage and free meal. Storm erupted 5 min before landing but our pilot landed smoothly. Didn't eat as I wasn't hungry but the food looked ok. Inflight included wifi through t-mobile for the full duration at $16 but didn't use it. My seat (row 15) didn't recline as the row behind me was an exit row - avoid row 15. Excellent value for money.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteKUL to LHE
Date FlownApril 2016

"crew were warm and friendly"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | My first Business Class experience with Malindo Air was on Kuala Lumpur - Denpasar, OD306/02APR operated by a B737-900ER and returning Denpasar - Kuala Lumpur on OD307/09APR operated by a B737-800ER. The legroom on both flights is more than sufficient for the distance, however the Lumbar Support for their Business Class seats is a little bit hard compared to Malaysia Airlines B737-800ER. It takes two minutes to get used to it. The breakfast served on the outgoing flight was a bit dry. I ordered an omelette but I was served scrambled eggs instead. The dinner on the returning flight surprised me when they offered me wine while I was not expecting it - most especially after a bad experience flying Malaysia Airlines on the same route 3 months earlier where they made cutback on alcoholic beverages for flights of less than 3 hours in duration. The next surprise was that dinner was served course by course. And after that it was a continuous flow of white wine. The white coffee served on Malindo Air was delicious. The crew were all warm and friendly as well as being very professional. The kebayas make them look so very elegant and charming. Malindo Air is definitely making its way to a full service carrier. What Malaysia Airlines has taken from you in their Business Class service cutbacks, Malindo Air has added them: e.g Salt & Pepper Shakers on the meal trays and of course, Wine. Overall, I am more than satisfied with Malindo Air and will definitely give them priority for destinations which they cover. I hope to see them expand to more destinations in Indonesia as well as launch flights to Taiwan.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER and Boeing 737-800ER
RouteKUL to DPS
Date FlownApril 2016

"cabin crew are extremely friendly"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Penang to Tiruchirapally via Kuala Lumpur with Malindo Air. The check in process was very fast and ground crew very friendly. When I board both aircrafts, I can feel that it is extremely hot in both cabins. The cup cake served on the flight from PEN to KUL was tasteless. The in flight entertainment was not turned on for the PEN to KUL flight too. The food served for KUL to TRZ was the same as the previous flight, I really hope that Malindo Air can change the types of food offered on its flights. But the cabin crew are extremely friendly and helpful. The legroom is extremely big too.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 737-900ER