Iberia

"No service at all"

Trip Verified | Iberia is the worse airline if it comes to customer service. They claim to be the most punctual airline in the world, but if they are late and you miss your connecting flight because this one departs on time you are in trouble. No service at all. They even close the gate 5 minutes before you arrive and they know you are on the grounds and trying to get the connection, but because they are so punctual, no chance. If you in business you most likely experience next thing is a downgrade into Economy with no word of sorry or no attempt to try and work alternatives out. Compensation, forget it. Service in Economy with a paid Business ticket means on Iberia you have to pay eventually for drinks and food. Economy is Economy and nothing better than Ryanair. On top of all of this, and you paid for Business in the first place, they cut your Milage down to Economy too. Can it get worse? Wonder if they would deny you the Lounge access too, as you are now officially downgraded to Economy. Never again, or I pay Low Cost in the first place. Saves me anger and my budget at the end.
RouteFrankfurt to Gran Canaria via Madrid
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Was completely satisfied"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from Lisbon to Vienna via Madrid. Was completely satisfied, except for the fact that there was no meal at all on any of the planes. First time it has happened to me on a non-low-budget flight. Is this normal? Punctual take-off and landing. Kind and friendly on-board staff. No Problems during the booking, check-in, or flight.
RouteLisbon to Vienna via Madrid
Date FlownMarch 2018

"will never book with Iberia again"

Trip Verified | I have experienced many problems whilst flying with Iberia. Some of these were caused by external factors, and some by poor management.I can accept long delays, or even cancellations (more often than not), what I can't accept is that every time I call, they try to blame the problem on another organisation (airport, British Airways partnership, etc), and they were rude. Just now I called to ask if there is anything they can do to help my elderly father (with terrible back pains), who's waiting for over 3 hours for a supposed delayed flight, and the customer service agent hung up me. This was the last drop, I will never book with Iberia again.
RouteLondon to Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"The cabin crew disappear"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Havana back to Madrid. The seat is reasonable - aisle access for all seats is good and reasonable space around the seat. I'm a few inches short of six foot, and I could not lie straight and it has a very narrow area at the bottom foot area which is uncomfortable. The food was the worst I'd ever encountered in any class of travel. Basically they put economy class food on china plates. The bread was stale, main was an inedible slab of processed beef with dry rice and the dessert of fresh fruit was actually processed tinned bits. The cabin crew disappear and leave the business cabin for most of the flight. They did the same on the outward flight which was day time. Basically you have to walk around the plane to find someone to give you a drink. They don't respond to the call button. The lounge in Havana is absurd, a smokey den with processed meat and cheese left out without refrigeration. The cabin crew director blamed all this on their Cuban supply chain. Having had good food in Cuba everywhere this seems unfair to blame the Cubans, more likely cost cutting at the hands of Willy "the slasher" Walsh - ex CEO of BA who now runs Iberia. Would recommend use Air France or Virgin for Cuba.
AircraftA330-200 series
RouteHavana to Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I need a letter from Iberia"

Trip Verified | London to Lima in December 2017, with a stopover in Madrid. As soon as I arrived in Lima, I was told that my baggage was delayed. They issued me a ticket, saying the baggage would arrive the day after and that I should pick it up from the airport. That would be fine - but the day after would be the only opportunity for me to pick it up in Lima, as I would travel to other places in Peru after that, for 15 days. The day after - I arrived at the airport to find the desk closed, and the Info help desk tried in vain to help us call the number stated in the directory. No answer. For the next 15 days, I would be making daily phone calls to their helpline. By the way, they only allow you to call the "call centre" but the people here cannot really help you - they don't know what's happening on the ground, neither can they make any decisions regarding your request. I asked them to send my baggage to Cusco where I was - call centre people said "yes, we will leave a message for the airline to do so". But every day i called up the luggage would still be in Lima and the call centre people kept saying "yes we will leave the message". This went on until my final day when i was in Lima to fly out of Peru and there, i picked up the luggage myself (after a very convoluted process at the airport in itself). Needless to say, I made a claim to Iberia for delayed baggage compensation. They issued only half the amount of what their policy says I should be entitled to, and despite my question as to why, they informed me that the case was closed without giving any reasons. In order to make a claim through my travel insurer for the additional expenses I incurred, I need a letter from Iberia stating the date they returned the luggage to me and the final amount they compensated me. But despite me sending several emails to the helpline email address requesting this, they refuse to give me that letter. This effectively prevents me from making a claim to my insurer to cover the costs incurred by me.
RouteLondon to Lima via Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Be aware with this airline"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | I paid to select 4 seats, row 8 and 9 (two window seats and two corridor seats) when I bought my tickets. 24 hrs before my flight, I did the online check-in, and my selected seats changed to row 48 aprox. When we arrived at the airport they told us that they changed the aircraft and the rows I selected did not exist on that aircraft, because the economy cabin started from row 21, so my seats had to be changed to row 48 aprox. two corridor seats, one middle seat, and one window seat, I would never have paid such a large amount of money for those seats! I complained and demanded a refund, but they told us they couldn’t do anything, and if I wanted a refund I had to complain to Iberia’s offices in Buenos Aires, and they will only refund me the middle seat. The only Iberia aircraft that the economy cabin begins from row 21 is the A340-600. But when the plane arrived I noticed it was A330-200 that was the plane that was supposed fly! So I asked why did my seats change since the seats I selected physically existed on that plane, and they did not give us a clear answer. When I entered the plane, the distribution was as it was supposed to be, meaning that the seats I selected really existed. I am still confused with what happened to our seats, and hoping it does not happen again on the return flight (MAD-EZE). I think that this issue must be clarified and give us a compensation due to the problems caused by this involuntary change of seat. The seats were standard and the service was poor. The plane was only 1 year old, so it was in very good conditions. Be aware with this airline.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBuenos Aires to Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"lost luggage clerk was rude"

Trip Verified | The check in for Iberia flight 3279 on 04 Feb 2018 from Budapest to Marrakech via Madrid. During check in we were informed we could check in our cabin luggage free so we elected to check in the larger of the 2 bags which was still "legal" cabin size, but it would make our boarding easier. When we got to the gate, we were informed we had to gate check my wife's bag which was tiny (50x33x20) compared to many other bags people had at the gate. So we arrived at our terrible 28 inch spaced seat with only a personal briefcase and wife's pocket book. However, many of the other passengers had quite large carry on bags and in some cases had 2 large bags. All of these in "Economy". Of course, when we got to Marrakech, my wife's bag was still in Budapest with no flight until 06 Feb 2018. In addition, the lost baggage people in Marrakech rudely informed us we would have to come back to the airport to pick it up if it comes in. No delivery to our hotel. When we went back on 06 Feb 2018 to pick it up if it came in, the lost luggage clerk was rude and arrogant and informed me we should be grateful to him that we got it back at all.
AircraftA319 / A320
RouteBudapest to Marrakech via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Crew were very unprofessional"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | New aircraft, looks good. But on board service was very poor. It was a 12 hour flight from Guatemala City to Madrid but they did not supply aminity kits. Even the bathroom didn't have soap or lotions. Crew were very unprofessional with very rude behaviour. It was like a low cost carrier service. Wifi service too expensive. Really bad experience with Iberia. Should to think before flying and compare other long haul airlines service.
AircraftA330-200 & A321
RouteGuatemala City to Düsseldorf via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"pleasant and enjoyable flight"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Good experience with Iberia. From Rome to Madrid in January 2018, the flight was very punctual, we took off at the exact time from Fiumicino airport and arrived at the Madrid Barajas airport at the appointed time. It was a pleasant and enjoyable flight, comfortable seats and good service from cabin crew. I recommend it.
RouteRome to Madrid
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"would never ever risk booking them again"

Trip Verified | I booked Iberia for a family holiday to South Africa to visit family. Booked the flights nearly a year in advance to get the best prices. When I phoned to add a new born baby to the booking a number of months later I discovered that the flight time for the first leg had changed so I didn't have time to transfer for the second leg. Iberia were offering a full refund. But a refund is no good as then you have no flight. And as months had passed the prices on all airlines had increased. I had no choice but to accept the refund and pay extra to book flights with another airline. Or cancel the trip. I have since heard of other people having similar problems with Iberia on long haul routes. Where parts of the journey are cancelled close to the departure date and Iberia just shrug and offer a refund leaving people with no flights to where they are going. I would never ever risk booking them again for a long haul flight.
RouteDublin to Johannesburg via Madrid