Iberia

"we have no checked luggage"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Keflavik. After an otherwise wonderful holiday we arrived at Madrid airport. Their check in computers jumped to Spanish completely randomly, causing you to start all over again, until it completely crashed. There was no help to get from the Iberia staff on location and the solution was to check in manually. While waiting in line, the barriers were changed two times causing 50+ people to rearrange everything, with expected results. Almost at the end of the cue, a staff member pulls us and two other couples out of the cue, says something in Spanish and walks away. I catch up with him for explanations, and he tries to explain that he has other check in desks around the corner. We get there only to face the most unfriendly check in agent I have ever seen, who tell us that we have no checked luggage for the flight. When presented with the receipt for both flight and luggage, she claims that the receipt is invalid since it's from a third party, (Flight Network), and proceeds to charge us €70 extra. The other options would be to leave it behind, or not go on the flight we already paid for. At this point the atmosphere was not good to say the least. But a tiny plus was that she managed to assign to us seats on 3rd row. When we entered the plain we saw that this was behind the business class divider. The seats were a different color than the rest of the economy class seats, but otherwise the same shape and size so I thought nothing of it, until a stewardess came and asked us to relocate as she needed those seats for someone else. I tried to explain that we had been assigned those seats for the discomfort of the check in errors. She immediately got very unfriendly and said that we were being moved, because we had not purchased business class seats, and it was clear that we had no choice in the matter if we wanted to fly at all! She then moved the divider back one row. Throughout the flight the 3rd row seats A-F, remained empty! After relocating, the flight crew continued to be unfriendly. We will never fly with Iberia again!
RouteMadrid to Keflavik
Date FlownJuly 2018

"don't know where our bags are"

Trip Verified | Florence to San Sebastian via Madrid. I will never fly with Iberia again. After sitting on a plane for half an hour, due to wind we were taken off and herded back to the gate. We stood there, no one telling us anything, until they herded us back onto the plan. When i asked about a connecting flight I was told "this flight takes 2 hours". Thats it. When we landed in Madrid we were told no luggage was on board and to go to the service desk regarding our missed connection. We waited half an hour before being served by the most unhelpful and miserable woman I have met She was angry with us for not going to the departure gate, as our original connection had been delayed, meaning that if we hadn't waited for her for half an hour we would have made it. When we asked about our luggage all she did was tell us to get on the plane. At San Sebastian no staff were waiting, they had closed for the night. We had to go back and catch the flight staff as they came off the plane to help us. We filled in paperwork and were told by 1030am the next day the bags would be delivered. We were given an online portal log in and a phone number. It is the evening of the next day now. We have used the login, it says that they still don't know where our bags are. We have called the number, it isn't even connected. We have contacted them multiple times via the portal, and I know they have read our messages as they updated our bag descriptions as I instructed. Still, no one has contacted us, regardless of the urgency. I am departing for Australia tomorrow, leaving san sebastian at 6am. No one has contacted us. They have expressed no concern or interest in calling us despite my messages stating it is urgent.
RouteFlorence to San Sebastian via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"Airline staff were unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Travelled with Iberia from Amsterdam to London Luton. Boarding passes said to be present 40 mins before departure time for boarding, all passengers where sitting and waiting but airline staff showed up about 5 minutes before departure time and took forever to get organised for no apparent reason. Plane took about 20 mins to drive to the runway and pilot stopped the plane and announced that one of the brakes wasn’t working and the engine was too hot to take off so we had to remain stationary for est 10 mins. Plane eventually took off about 10 minutes before we were supposed to land in London. Flight was fast yet concerning, plane seemed to randomly accelerate and slow down abruptly and without purpose. Inside was shabby and warning signs on the wings had visibly faded to become indecipherable. Airline staff were unhelpful and did not provide Travel cards needed to access the UK, when we requested them specifically they seemed confused about what we were asking for. There was no recognition from the staff or pilot whatsoever for the significant delay until the plane started defending and a pre-recorded message apologised for the delay (as if it happened all the time so they had it ready to go). Landing was bumpy and seemed much faster than normal and getting off the plane took much longer than usual. Worst flight I’ve ever taken and the only time over ever been concerned that a plane would not land safely. Strongly discourage using this airline.
RouteAmsterdam to London Luton
Date FlownJune 2018

"our tickets have been canceled"

Trip Verified | Boston to Barcelona via Madrid. We took a flight from Boston to Madrid on 6/7/2018. Our flight was approximately 20-30 minutes late to leave from Boston. Our suggested layover from Madrid to Barcelona was approximately 1 hour. This hour layover is the flight route they suggest online while booking, we booked a round trip back to Boston on 6/18. Due to the long customs line and security over 20% of the passengers missed their next flight, we ran (not walked) through the airport. By the time we made it to the gate the airplane was closed, we and 25+ people missed the flight. My husband and I had reservations in Barcelona later that day with a prepaid group. We called Iberia to request another flight, they couldn’t guarantee us to be on a flight until the next day, it is 8:00 am at this time. The customer service rep we spoke to suggested we book a flight on Vueling, their partner airline. We did this for $300 without complaint, while not being refunded for the flight from Madrid to Barcelona. The flight to Madrid is an hour and a half. Fast forward to 6/17, we are checking in for our flight from Granada to Barcelona. We are informed at the gate that our tickets have been canceled and we will not be receiving a refund because we missed our flight from Madrid to Barcelona 9 days prior. Now we had to go book with another airline, in another country. We had to pay double the price we should have, still without a refund.
RouteBoston to Barcelona via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"missed the connecting flight"

Trip Verified | Boston to San Sebastian via Madrid. We as family flown out of Boston to go to a wedding in San Sebastian. We were supposed to have more than 1.5 hours time in Madrid for our connection. Plane was delayed by almost an hour in Boston. I had asked the ticket agency and they had said not to worry they will put us on the next flight. When we arrived in Madrid, we still had about an hour. The customs lines were long and we asked Iberia for help, they said get back to the line. Needless to us we missed the connecting flight. When we went to the agent to book the next flight, they asked us to pay - we had to ask for a supervisor to clear that it was their fault for delaying. On the next flight they could only take two people from our party with the suitcase. They didn't take the suitcase. They put us on priority waitlist for the next flight. Needless to say they assigned us to an 8 o'clock flight. Once we were boarding, they took us off and said the flight was cancelled. We ended up in a hotel to fly out the next morning and missed the first part of wedding and one night of the hotel which was prepaid. The luggage still didn't come with us. It was delivered two days after the wedding. The staff at Iberia were rude and untruthful. Every time I complained, they asked me to fill out a complaint form.
RouteBoston to San Sebastian via Madrid

"recommend Premium Economy"

Trip Verified | Santiago de Compostela to New York via Madrid. Flew from Santiago de Compostela on Iberia Express to Madrid yesterday to connect to our Iberia flight to New York. I can see why Iberia Express gets its 'most punctual airline' reputation. Boarding was swift, very organized and we departed about 5mins ahead of schedule. On board, sadly there wasn't much to say except the legroom was very tight and even a coffee had to be paid for. The crew seemed pleasant and helpful. I was however, not able to connect to the advertised free streaming entertainment at all. Not a huge deal breaker as it was a short flight. I had decided to take up an email offer to upgrade my next sector to New York and was so glad I did. Having priority boarding as a part of it was a huge plus on this maxed out A340-600. I loved the Premium Economy seat with the extra recline and legroom was great. It's a fresh, relatively small, more private cabin than the wild expanse of regular economy. The larger, responsive, IFE screen worked well and had just enough options to keep me occupied for 7 hours. The very slightly upgraded meal (main served in a china dish) was fairly decent thought it took quite a while after take off before it was served. There was no bar service before this. The crew were warm and pleasant though and seemed to be constantly working. We sat in row 15 which is only slightly ahead of the galley, so could hear everything and the light from the galley was distracting at times. The pre-arrival snack of a boxed sandwich was fine and we arrived only slightly late into JFK. All in all, I'd recommend Iberia's Premium Economy if you do get an email offer to upgrade. Very comfortable seat, more personalized service and priority boarding made the decision easy for me.
AircraftA340-600 / A320
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSantiago de Compostela to New York via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"friendly, efficient and competent"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from Quito to Madrid. The aircraft was clean and modern. The main course of the dinner was dry and the bread was stale, but the red wine was good, plus we were given real cutlery and not plastic. I would have preferred them to come around with more drinks—I think they only came through once. The breakfast was good but everything was sweet, no savoury option. Flight attendants were friendly, efficient and competent. My biggest complaint is that the in-flight entertainment system was broken for the entire 10-hour flight—luckily I had plenty of books but I would have preferred a couple of movies to pass the time. I really think they should have made sure this was working beforehand. To be fair, they did credit me with Avios points when I complained.
RouteQuito to Madrid
Date FlownMay 2018

"flight took off without us"

Trip Verified | Ibiza to Frankfurt via Madrid. Irresponsible madness Journey from Ibiza to Frankfurt, scheduled for 2018-06-01, stopover at Madrid. Flight from Ibiza was cancelled due to "technical reasons" 2 hours after estimated departure. We had to wait 7 hours in a queue afterwards to get new tickets. Iberia staff only assigned 1 employee to handle reticketing. The main counter was not seated at all which lead to major confusion. Iberia finally booked a hotel. The new flight, operated by Vueling was delayed, so we did not reach the Iberia flight to Frankfurt. We arrived on the minute of boarding but Iberia's pilot refused to re-open the door. He stayed at the gate for another 30 minutes and the Iberia flight took off without us. We had to get another new flight with Lufthansa to return to Frankfurt.
RouteIbiza to Frankfurt via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"the flight was very cheap"

Trip Verified | Faro to Frankfurt via Madrid. My first flight was operated by Air Nostrum. There was only small turbulence but they kept the seat belt sign on the whole time so that I had to wait for an hour until I landed and could use the bathroom. The landing was very rough too. Weird that the last time I had a short flight to Madrid, we had turbulence as well. The second flight was delayed for 1,5h and we were not offered any free drinks or any compensation for the 2,5h flight. Now I am waiting with half of the passengers at my destination for at least 30 min. for my luggage. I would give a 4 star because the flight was very cheap, but with the waiting, at 1 am in the morning it just cost me a lot of nerves.
RouteFaro to Frankfurt via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2017

"Our flight was cancelled"

Trip Verified | Luton to Barcelona. Our flight was cancelled about 36 hours before we were scheduled to depart. We spent hours speaking with them and the booking agent - we unfortunately used a 3rd party booking which made the whole ordeal even more complicated. They refused to put us alternative flights which would fit our travel plans and stranded us in London for 24 hours longer than we expected. The last phone call we had with them, they hung up on us because we were requesting to speak with a supervisor. Completely ridiculous. I will make efforts to not fly Iberia again.
RouteLuton to Barcelona