Iberia

"seats were very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Panama City. Very impressed with the seats which were very comfortable. Standard of food was excellent, good choice of wines and frequently offered a range of drinks. Electric seats could be angled for comfort. Staff friendly but some had limited English. Entertainment not too great, not many recent films but as it was an overnight flight not too much of a problem.
RouteMadrid to Panama City
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"The worst flight ever"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from Madrid to Rio de Janeiro. The worst flight ever and I make around 150 flights per year. The seat was not reclinable because it was broken. No possibility to change the seat (fully booked flight). No entertainment service working for a 10 hour flight. The staff on board didn't answer when we called them. When we search for them, she was seated reading a magazine.
RouteMadrid to Rio de Janeiro
Date FlownMay 2017

"the service was appalling"

Trip Verified | Flying from Bogota to London via Madrid, we travelled in Premier Economy expecting to enjoy some more comfort and better service. The seats and additional space were definitely better however the service was appalling, again. We fly reasonably regularly to Bogota, and every time we fly Iberia we are disappointed. This time the Steward attending our seats was rude and impatient. Regularly not waiting to hear our question or food order before leaving and bringing back what he thought we'd asked for. He was abrupt and often didn't bring what he offered and we asked for eg. a glass of water. The food was poor again but having travelled Iberia on this route a few times we expected poor food. On top of this, I asked for a gin and tonic with my meal and was told I'd have to pay for the gin. This I didn't expect having paid for premium economy tickets on a long haul flight. I wouldn't expect this in economy either on a long haul flight. Perhaps my expectations are wrong. I thought Iberia and BA were premium National carrier airlines, not budget airlines like Ryanair. Then on landing in London, we were advised that our luggage didn't make our connecting flight. We filled in our missing baggage forms and were told they would be delivered that evening. Of course they weren't. I checked the tracking numbers which said the new flights our baggage was supposedly on had landed had 4pm. I say flights because they split our bags over 2 different flights. I say supposedly as the tracking website said they hadn't located our baggage. Calling the helpline the next day they confirmed the new flights landed the day before but still couldn't confirm if they had our baggage. Our wait continues. We're unlikely to fly Iberia on this route again as there are other airline options. I don't know if this route is a problem with Iberia or if they are poor in general.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBogota to London via Madrid
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I did not board the second flight"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Seville with a layover stop in Madrid. After booking the flight, I realized I spend the beginning part of my trip in Madrid. After arriving in Madrid, I did not board the second flight to Seville. Unbeknownst to me, Iberia cancelled my return flights (Seville to Madrid and Madrid to Chicago). When I arrived at the airport in Seville, I was informed that my ticket was no longer valid and that I would need to repurchase a new ticket. Iberia did not contact me to inform me prior to my arrival at the airport, despite the fact that a week had passed since my flight from Chicago to Madrid. In fact, two days before my return flight, I received an e-mail from Iberia titled "Comunicación operativa: Información sobre su vuelo" (Flight Information). This e-mail gave no indication that my flights had been cancelled. I ended up buying a ticket on the same flights as my original booking - Iberia did not refund my money for the flights they cancelled. I submitted a complaint through Iberia's website on November 28th in which I requested a refund for the flights they cancelled. I received this response on December 22nd: "Certain fares do not accept refund and have a number of limitations with regard to changes in the route or sequence of reserved routes. For this reason, if the journey does not start, our system automatically cancels the ticket and if any of the purchased journeys is not used, the remaining routes included in the ticket will be cancelled. This is what happened in your case." I have no complaints about Iberia's flight attendants or in-flight service, but the fact that they cancelled my return flights, didn't inform me and won't refund my money does not strike me as good business.
RouteChicago to Seville via Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the food was deplorable"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Buenos Aires via Madrid. Worst airline I have travelled with in the last 10 years. It was 12 hr flight from Madrid departing at midnight and a nightmare, the food was deplorable and minimal. Three hours after departure a cheese and ham sandwich followed by dinner and cheese and ham for breakfast. The worst service I have experienced.
RouteDublin to Buenos Aires via Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2017

"my luggage did not come"

Trip Verified | I had a trip from Miami to Ibiza via Madrid and Palma. When I get to Ibiza my destination my luggage did not come and they promised to deliver to my home, and they would pay 50 euros a day as compensatipom but I came back to the airport and I had to wait for my luggage as I had important items. When I came back from Ibiza to Miami my luggage did not come again. Because of it I lost my fly to Atlanta, I came to Atlanta in the next morning without my luggage with Iberia saying they would pay me and it will be delivered at my home in 48 hours. After 5 days trying to get information they said that my luggage it was at Atlanta Airport but not where and when it was coming! So I decided to go to the airport to get my luggage by myself.
RouteMiami to Ibiza via Madrid

Iberia customer review

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Amsterdam. My connection flight to Amsterdam was cancelled - no reason given but we assumed due to weather. (My colleague flew later same evening from Istanbul and landed safely in Amsterdam!). Ground staff hopeless in assisting. Long lines at customer service with minimal staff to assist. My travel agent rebooked my flight and with this information I eventually was attended to (FOUR HOURS LATER!). The clerk behind the counter could barely speak English and when I showed him my reservation for the following morning, he consulted with a colleague and assured me that the flight booking would be honored. I should arrive at the desk of AirEuropa in the morning and they will issue my boarding ticket. With my hotel voucher and shuttle details, I got to my hotel (in the centre of Madrid), trusting the system that all would be ok. I got back to the airport at 06:15, proceeded to the check-in counter and lo and behold, no reservation and no ticket. Iberia did not answer their phone and faced with being stuck for 24 hours (Iberia rebooked me on my previous scheduled flight 24 hrs later). I paid €540 for the only available seat out of Madrid to Amsterdam. No honoring cancelled flight, no service, pure frustration.
RouteMadrid to Amsterdam

"Food was delicious"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Boston via Madrid. Berlin Tegel went to Madrid punctually. All drinks and food had to be paid, but I was prepared. The seats were ok for the short flight and the crew very nice. You could get entertainment for free via wifi. I have read. From Madrid we continued punctually and I was even in Boston earlier than planned. Nice Airbus with great entertainment. The latest movies like Home Again, Baby Driver, Dunkirk, It, Pirates of the Carebean and so on. There were blankets, pillows and headphones for free and drinks and food was free. At the beginning there was food with a drink service, then coffee and tea and at the end again food and drinks and coffee. In between, they did not come through, but you could always get something. But I had my own water. Food was delicious, crew was nice. Luggage arrived too. Everything is great. What annoyed me was that I could not reserve my seat in advance and also could not check in online, because AA and Iberia can not access each other's booking systems. This is a no go for me, because I have to have my aisle seat. Therefore, I would try to avoid AA and Iberia. But luck today, even a series of two for me. Everything that could happen now has nothing to do with Iberia anymore.
RouteBerlin to Boston via Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2017

"will never choose this airline again"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Vienna. I couldn't do an online check in and at the check in they informed me that I am on a waiting list. I still had to go to the gate and wait there till everybody finished boarding. There were like 10 people in the same situation than me. Iberia explained me that this was normal. After everybody boarded they called 3 more people from the waiting list. I didn't get to be on the flight. They gave me the money back but I dont care about that. I wasted a lot of time, missed important business and got a lot of frustration from Iberia. I will never choose this airline again.
RouteMadrid to Vienna
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Iberia is a reliable airline"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Madrid return on A320 and A321. I can recommend Iberia although there are some negative aspects: there are no free drinks and snacks, not even water was free. Check-in at Frankfurt airport took very long, standing in line for 35 minutes and the online check-in did not work (impossible to download boarding pass on my smartphone). And the seating on A320 was very tight, even for me (I’m 170 cm tall). Experience on return flight was much better: Check-in at Madrid airport without waiting and seat pitch on A321 was much better. In general Iberia’s hub is fantastic, Madrid airport is efficient, modern and pleasant. One negative aspect turned into positive: when boarding time of my return flight had begun, the staff told us that the aircraft had technical issues and an equipment change was needed. We went to another gate and finally the delay was only 30 minutes, which is a good result in my opinion. Iberia is a reliable airline and much better than Ryanair with their canceled and delayed flights.
AircraftA320 / A321