Iberia

"left passengers bags at Madrid"

Trip Verified | I flew with Iberia from Gatwick to Miami via Madrid. Their onboard customer service is offensive with flight attendants hostile to customers, unless you speak Spanish of course. The baggage handling is shocking, they left passengers bags at Madrid. And forget booking and paying extra to select your seat because if someone pays more, you and your partner split up for a 10 hours flight. I would not book another flight with Iberia.
RouteLondon to Miami via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"refused to send my luggage to London"

(Dominican Republic)

Trip Verified | I tried to book my seats from Santo Domingo in one booking but the Iberia Reservation system showed no seats were available but when I looked at Santo Domingo to Madrid and then Madrid to London, there were plenty of seats available on the Iberia website so I made the two bookings and printed them out. At Santo Domingo airport they refused to send my luggage to London so I had to go through immigration and customs in Madrid, retrieve my bags and recheck them on to London. Although both bookings were made on the Iberia website. I am later in the year going to Hong Kong via Madrid first with Iberia and then from Madrid with Cathay and they have told me they will not send my luggage direct to Hong Kong although both are ONE World carriers and the arrival and departure are from the same terminal in Madrid. I will cancel this next flight. Once on board, the trip to Madrid, more than 8 hours, was without any breakfast, only dinner as soon as we settled in. The business class seats are ok and the service is just acceptable. My return flight from London which started with BA to Heathrow was without incident. They escalate the business class prices dramatically around Easter, double the normal price so beware
RouteSanto Domingo to London via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"overall experience was terrible"

Trip Verified | I recently flew roundtrip Miami to Barcelona on Iberia. I purchased a Premium Economy ticket and upgraded in both directions for a fee at check-in to fly in Business Class. I must say, the overall experience was terrible. From trying to ask questions via Iberia's reservation line prior to the trip - virtually no one spoke English and extremely unhelpful, to the onboard experience. In Business Class, the cabin was the most recent version with lie-flat seats but they were very uncomfortable, basic and the service by the crew was, let's say I'm kind by calling it awful. I would not ever fly Iberia again regardless of price. Not surprised they are linked by ownership to British Airways, which has gone downhill as well. So sad, very bad experience.
RouteBarcelona to Miami via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"on par with budget airline"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Zurich. When I arrived at the airport I was told that my ticket was not valid and was asked to spend almost 30 min on the customer line to clarify the situation. The airline initially tried to blame me saying that I cancelled the flight. They eventually acknowledge their mistake, but never really apologized and issued a new ticket. Service on board and seats on par with budget airline: very small leg space and you have to pay for a snack or drink.
RouteZurich to Madrid

"No service at all"

Trip Verified | Iberia is the worse airline if it comes to customer service. They claim to be the most punctual airline in the world, but if they are late and you miss your connecting flight because this one departs on time you are in trouble. No service at all. They even close the gate 5 minutes before you arrive and they know you are on the grounds and trying to get the connection, but because they are so punctual, no chance. If you in business you most likely experience next thing is a downgrade into Economy with no word of sorry or no attempt to try and work alternatives out. Compensation, forget it. Service in Economy with a paid Business ticket means on Iberia you have to pay eventually for drinks and food. Economy is Economy and nothing better than Ryanair. On top of all of this, and you paid for Business in the first place, they cut your Milage down to Economy too. Can it get worse? Wonder if they would deny you the Lounge access too, as you are now officially downgraded to Economy. Never again, or I pay Low Cost in the first place. Saves me anger and my budget at the end.
RouteFrankfurt to Gran Canaria via Madrid

"Was completely satisfied"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from Lisbon to Vienna via Madrid. Was completely satisfied, except for the fact that there was no meal at all on any of the planes. First time it has happened to me on a non-low-budget flight. Is this normal? Punctual take-off and landing. Kind and friendly on-board staff. No Problems during the booking, check-in, or flight.
RouteLisbon to Vienna via Madrid
Date FlownMarch 2018

"will never book with Iberia again"

Trip Verified | I have experienced many problems whilst flying with Iberia. Some of these were caused by external factors, and some by poor management.I can accept long delays, or even cancellations (more often than not), what I can't accept is that every time I call, they try to blame the problem on another organisation (airport, British Airways partnership, etc), and they were rude. Just now I called to ask if there is anything they can do to help my elderly father (with terrible back pains), who's waiting for over 3 hours for a supposed delayed flight, and the customer service agent hung up me. This was the last drop, I will never book with Iberia again.
RouteLondon to Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"The cabin crew disappear"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Havana back to Madrid. The seat is reasonable - aisle access for all seats is good and reasonable space around the seat. I'm a few inches short of six foot, and I could not lie straight and it has a very narrow area at the bottom foot area which is uncomfortable. The food was the worst I'd ever encountered in any class of travel. Basically they put economy class food on china plates. The bread was stale, main was an inedible slab of processed beef with dry rice and the dessert of fresh fruit was actually processed tinned bits. The cabin crew disappear and leave the business cabin for most of the flight. They did the same on the outward flight which was day time. Basically you have to walk around the plane to find someone to give you a drink. They don't respond to the call button. The lounge in Havana is absurd, a smokey den with processed meat and cheese left out without refrigeration. The cabin crew director blamed all this on their Cuban supply chain. Having had good food in Cuba everywhere this seems unfair to blame the Cubans, more likely cost cutting at the hands of Willy "the slasher" Walsh - ex CEO of BA who now runs Iberia. Would recommend use Air France or Virgin for Cuba.
AircraftA330-200 series
RouteHavana to Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I need a letter from Iberia"

Trip Verified | London to Lima in December 2017, with a stopover in Madrid. As soon as I arrived in Lima, I was told that my baggage was delayed. They issued me a ticket, saying the baggage would arrive the day after and that I should pick it up from the airport. That would be fine - but the day after would be the only opportunity for me to pick it up in Lima, as I would travel to other places in Peru after that, for 15 days. The day after - I arrived at the airport to find the desk closed, and the Info help desk tried in vain to help us call the number stated in the directory. No answer. For the next 15 days, I would be making daily phone calls to their helpline. By the way, they only allow you to call the "call centre" but the people here cannot really help you - they don't know what's happening on the ground, neither can they make any decisions regarding your request. I asked them to send my baggage to Cusco where I was - call centre people said "yes, we will leave a message for the airline to do so". But every day i called up the luggage would still be in Lima and the call centre people kept saying "yes we will leave the message". This went on until my final day when i was in Lima to fly out of Peru and there, i picked up the luggage myself (after a very convoluted process at the airport in itself). Needless to say, I made a claim to Iberia for delayed baggage compensation. They issued only half the amount of what their policy says I should be entitled to, and despite my question as to why, they informed me that the case was closed without giving any reasons. In order to make a claim through my travel insurer for the additional expenses I incurred, I need a letter from Iberia stating the date they returned the luggage to me and the final amount they compensated me. But despite me sending several emails to the helpline email address requesting this, they refuse to give me that letter. This effectively prevents me from making a claim to my insurer to cover the costs incurred by me.
RouteLondon to Lima via Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Be aware with this airline"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | I paid to select 4 seats, row 8 and 9 (two window seats and two corridor seats) when I bought my tickets. 24 hrs before my flight, I did the online check-in, and my selected seats changed to row 48 aprox. When we arrived at the airport they told us that they changed the aircraft and the rows I selected did not exist on that aircraft, because the economy cabin started from row 21, so my seats had to be changed to row 48 aprox. two corridor seats, one middle seat, and one window seat, I would never have paid such a large amount of money for those seats! I complained and demanded a refund, but they told us they couldn’t do anything, and if I wanted a refund I had to complain to Iberia’s offices in Buenos Aires, and they will only refund me the middle seat. The only Iberia aircraft that the economy cabin begins from row 21 is the A340-600. But when the plane arrived I noticed it was A330-200 that was the plane that was supposed fly! So I asked why did my seats change since the seats I selected physically existed on that plane, and they did not give us a clear answer. When I entered the plane, the distribution was as it was supposed to be, meaning that the seats I selected really existed. I am still confused with what happened to our seats, and hoping it does not happen again on the return flight (MAD-EZE). I think that this issue must be clarified and give us a compensation due to the problems caused by this involuntary change of seat. The seats were standard and the service was poor. The plane was only 1 year old, so it was in very good conditions. Be aware with this airline.
AircraftA330-200