Iberia

"lost luggage clerk was rude"

Trip Verified | The check in for Iberia flight 3279 on 04 Feb 2018 from Budapest to Marrakech via Madrid. During check in we were informed we could check in our cabin luggage free so we elected to check in the larger of the 2 bags which was still "legal" cabin size, but it would make our boarding easier. When we got to the gate, we were informed we had to gate check my wife's bag which was tiny (50x33x20) compared to many other bags people had at the gate. So we arrived at our terrible 28 inch spaced seat with only a personal briefcase and wife's pocket book. However, many of the other passengers had quite large carry on bags and in some cases had 2 large bags. All of these in "Economy". Of course, when we got to Marrakech, my wife's bag was still in Budapest with no flight until 06 Feb 2018. In addition, the lost baggage people in Marrakech rudely informed us we would have to come back to the airport to pick it up if it comes in. No delivery to our hotel. When we went back on 06 Feb 2018 to pick it up if it came in, the lost luggage clerk was rude and arrogant and informed me we should be grateful to him that we got it back at all.
AircraftA319 / A320
RouteBudapest to Marrakech via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Crew were very unprofessional"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | New aircraft, looks good. But on board service was very poor. It was a 12 hour flight from Guatemala City to Madrid but they did not supply aminity kits. Even the bathroom didn't have soap or lotions. Crew were very unprofessional with very rude behaviour. It was like a low cost carrier service. Wifi service too expensive. Really bad experience with Iberia. Should to think before flying and compare other long haul airlines service.
AircraftA330-200 & A321
RouteGuatemala City to Düsseldorf via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"pleasant and enjoyable flight"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Good experience with Iberia. From Rome to Madrid in January 2018, the flight was very punctual, we took off at the exact time from Fiumicino airport and arrived at the Madrid Barajas airport at the appointed time. It was a pleasant and enjoyable flight, comfortable seats and good service from cabin crew. I recommend it.
RouteRome to Madrid
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"would never ever risk booking them again"

Trip Verified | I booked Iberia for a family holiday to South Africa to visit family. Booked the flights nearly a year in advance to get the best prices. When I phoned to add a new born baby to the booking a number of months later I discovered that the flight time for the first leg had changed so I didn't have time to transfer for the second leg. Iberia were offering a full refund. But a refund is no good as then you have no flight. And as months had passed the prices on all airlines had increased. I had no choice but to accept the refund and pay extra to book flights with another airline. Or cancel the trip. I have since heard of other people having similar problems with Iberia on long haul routes. Where parts of the journey are cancelled close to the departure date and Iberia just shrug and offer a refund leaving people with no flights to where they are going. I would never ever risk booking them again for a long haul flight.
RouteDublin to Johannesburg via Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2017

Iberia customer review

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to New York. My friend and I flew from Madrid to NYC on January 10th. The staff was arrogant and unprofessional. They spent almost all of the flight talking on the back side. We needed to ask for water four times and receive attitude about it. Food was served extremely hot or extremely cold.
RouteMadrid to New York
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"seats were very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Panama City. Very impressed with the seats which were very comfortable. Standard of food was excellent, good choice of wines and frequently offered a range of drinks. Electric seats could be angled for comfort. Staff friendly but some had limited English. Entertainment not too great, not many recent films but as it was an overnight flight not too much of a problem.
RouteMadrid to Panama City

"The worst flight ever"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Iberia from Madrid to Rio de Janeiro. The worst flight ever and I make around 150 flights per year. The seat was not reclinable because it was broken. No possibility to change the seat (fully booked flight). No entertainment service working for a 10 hour flight. The staff on board didn't answer when we called them. When we search for them, she was seated reading a magazine.
RouteMadrid to Rio de Janeiro
Date FlownMay 2017

"the service was appalling"

Trip Verified | Flying from Bogota to London via Madrid, we travelled in Premier Economy expecting to enjoy some more comfort and better service. The seats and additional space were definitely better however the service was appalling, again. We fly reasonably regularly to Bogota, and every time we fly Iberia we are disappointed. This time the Steward attending our seats was rude and impatient. Regularly not waiting to hear our question or food order before leaving and bringing back what he thought we'd asked for. He was abrupt and often didn't bring what he offered and we asked for eg. a glass of water. The food was poor again but having travelled Iberia on this route a few times we expected poor food. On top of this, I asked for a gin and tonic with my meal and was told I'd have to pay for the gin. This I didn't expect having paid for premium economy tickets on a long haul flight. I wouldn't expect this in economy either on a long haul flight. Perhaps my expectations are wrong. I thought Iberia and BA were premium National carrier airlines, not budget airlines like Ryanair. Then on landing in London, we were advised that our luggage didn't make our connecting flight. We filled in our missing baggage forms and were told they would be delivered that evening. Of course they weren't. I checked the tracking numbers which said the new flights our baggage was supposedly on had landed had 4pm. I say flights because they split our bags over 2 different flights. I say supposedly as the tracking website said they hadn't located our baggage. Calling the helpline the next day they confirmed the new flights landed the day before but still couldn't confirm if they had our baggage. Our wait continues. We're unlikely to fly Iberia on this route again as there are other airline options. I don't know if this route is a problem with Iberia or if they are poor in general.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBogota to London via Madrid
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I did not board the second flight"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Seville with a layover stop in Madrid. After booking the flight, I realized I spend the beginning part of my trip in Madrid. After arriving in Madrid, I did not board the second flight to Seville. Unbeknownst to me, Iberia cancelled my return flights (Seville to Madrid and Madrid to Chicago). When I arrived at the airport in Seville, I was informed that my ticket was no longer valid and that I would need to repurchase a new ticket. Iberia did not contact me to inform me prior to my arrival at the airport, despite the fact that a week had passed since my flight from Chicago to Madrid. In fact, two days before my return flight, I received an e-mail from Iberia titled "Comunicación operativa: Información sobre su vuelo" (Flight Information). This e-mail gave no indication that my flights had been cancelled. I ended up buying a ticket on the same flights as my original booking - Iberia did not refund my money for the flights they cancelled. I submitted a complaint through Iberia's website on November 28th in which I requested a refund for the flights they cancelled. I received this response on December 22nd: "Certain fares do not accept refund and have a number of limitations with regard to changes in the route or sequence of reserved routes. For this reason, if the journey does not start, our system automatically cancels the ticket and if any of the purchased journeys is not used, the remaining routes included in the ticket will be cancelled. This is what happened in your case." I have no complaints about Iberia's flight attendants or in-flight service, but the fact that they cancelled my return flights, didn't inform me and won't refund my money does not strike me as good business.
RouteChicago to Seville via Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the food was deplorable"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Buenos Aires via Madrid. Worst airline I have travelled with in the last 10 years. It was 12 hr flight from Madrid departing at midnight and a nightmare, the food was deplorable and minimal. Three hours after departure a cheese and ham sandwich followed by dinner and cheese and ham for breakfast. The worst service I have experienced.
RouteDublin to Buenos Aires via Madrid