Iberia

"meals were scarce"

(Uruguay)

Not Verified | The crew were friendly and helpful, and they knew how to deal with a flight full of turbulence, with nervous passengers. However, the services Iberia offers on a 12 hour-long flight are poor in comparison to other airlines of similar cost. The meals were scarce and sporadically delivered, which meant that at 3am we got the cabin lights on as they would serve some snacks, while the majority of the passengers were sleeping. The beverages served are also scarce, which means you have to be constantly standing up and going to the galley to get some drinks. In other long flights I’ve done in economy class, passengers got given amenity kits, whereas in Iberia, we got a blanket, a pillow, and earphones.
RouteMontevideo to Madrid
Date FlownJune 2017

"worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Miami via Madrid. My husband and I flew Iberia yesterday and had the worst experience ever, at the check in counter in Zurich the lady offered us to fly Swiss if everybody shows up since the fly was oversold. We accepted, but at the end we flew Iberia since the plane was not full, at this point the lead counter person cancelled our assigned double seats by the window (he didn’t mention anything to us and we find out when we got to Madrid) and they gave us the most horrible seats in the middle even dough we got to the airport before anybody else. Not enough with the frustration we haven’t received our luggage yet, they never send the luggage to the plane. We travel at least twice a year on long flies to Europe but definitely will never use Iberia again.
RouteZurich to Miami via Madrid

Iberia customer review

Trip Verified | I flew with my father in a wheelchair in early February from STR to SCQ via MAD with Iberia. The new wheelchair came 3 days after us extremely damaged, so that it was impossible to use this safely. On top of that, the pre-ordered and confirmed at check-in wheelchair assistance neither in MAD nor SCQ worked. To date (after more than 2 months) we have no confirmation if the damage will be reimbursed. In February, I already submitted the required documents (cost estimate from the expert, photos, invoices, etc.) to Iberia. To this day and after X-fold contact attempts, I have just said on the phone I should be patient! My patience is at the end! It's a shame like Iberia deals with people who use wheelchairs.
RouteStuttgart to Santiago de Compostela via Madrid
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"friendly and efficient"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Santo Domingo. Check-in – Friendly staff and quickly passed through. Business lounge in Madrid is large but at times crowded. Good selection of beverages and snacks. Due to the early time no actual meals available. Boarding was quick although it did take some time before doors closed. Take-off was as per schedule. The A330-200 looked fairly new and the 1x2x1 business layout is good when comparing with BA. Attendants were friendly and efficient and made you feel welcome. Perhaps they could adopt other airlines policy by addressing you by name. Food was above average and the wines/spirits above average.
AircraftA330-200
RouteMadrid to Santo Domingo

"the bags are in Madrid"

Trip Verified | We missed our connecting flight to Barcelona from Madrid because the Iberia representative told us the wrong gate and only had an hour layover. Then when we attempted to change to a different flight we were told we would have to book an entire new flight because we used Vueling, but we wouldn’t even be able to fly out that day so we would have to drive! So we waited 2 hrs to receive our bags only to find out they shipped them to Barcelona without us. So we drove 6 hrs to Barcelona. We get to the Barcelona airport and the bags are in Madrid. Fast forward to the next day we called and they promised the bags would be here by 9AM. Confirmed on the flight. It’s now 10:10 we are at the airport and they told us they missed the flight. I am about to go on a cruise with no clothes and it’s the fault of Iberia.
RouteMiami to Barcelona
Date FlownApril 2018

"left passengers bags at Madrid"

Trip Verified | I flew with Iberia from Gatwick to Miami via Madrid. Their onboard customer service is offensive with flight attendants hostile to customers, unless you speak Spanish of course. The baggage handling is shocking, they left passengers bags at Madrid. And forget booking and paying extra to select your seat because if someone pays more, you and your partner split up for a 10 hours flight. I would not book another flight with Iberia.
RouteLondon to Miami via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"refused to send my luggage to London"

(Dominican Republic)

Trip Verified | I tried to book my seats from Santo Domingo in one booking but the Iberia Reservation system showed no seats were available but when I looked at Santo Domingo to Madrid and then Madrid to London, there were plenty of seats available on the Iberia website so I made the two bookings and printed them out. At Santo Domingo airport they refused to send my luggage to London so I had to go through immigration and customs in Madrid, retrieve my bags and recheck them on to London. Although both bookings were made on the Iberia website. I am later in the year going to Hong Kong via Madrid first with Iberia and then from Madrid with Cathay and they have told me they will not send my luggage direct to Hong Kong although both are ONE World carriers and the arrival and departure are from the same terminal in Madrid. I will cancel this next flight. Once on board, the trip to Madrid, more than 8 hours, was without any breakfast, only dinner as soon as we settled in. The business class seats are ok and the service is just acceptable. My return flight from London which started with BA to Heathrow was without incident. They escalate the business class prices dramatically around Easter, double the normal price so beware
RouteSanto Domingo to London via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"overall experience was terrible"

Trip Verified | I recently flew roundtrip Miami to Barcelona on Iberia. I purchased a Premium Economy ticket and upgraded in both directions for a fee at check-in to fly in Business Class. I must say, the overall experience was terrible. From trying to ask questions via Iberia's reservation line prior to the trip - virtually no one spoke English and extremely unhelpful, to the onboard experience. In Business Class, the cabin was the most recent version with lie-flat seats but they were very uncomfortable, basic and the service by the crew was, let's say I'm kind by calling it awful. I would not ever fly Iberia again regardless of price. Not surprised they are linked by ownership to British Airways, which has gone downhill as well. So sad, very bad experience.
RouteBarcelona to Miami via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"on par with budget airline"

Trip Verified | Madrid to Zurich. When I arrived at the airport I was told that my ticket was not valid and was asked to spend almost 30 min on the customer line to clarify the situation. The airline initially tried to blame me saying that I cancelled the flight. They eventually acknowledge their mistake, but never really apologized and issued a new ticket. Service on board and seats on par with budget airline: very small leg space and you have to pay for a snack or drink.
RouteZurich to Madrid

"No service at all"

Trip Verified | Iberia is the worse airline if it comes to customer service. They claim to be the most punctual airline in the world, but if they are late and you miss your connecting flight because this one departs on time you are in trouble. No service at all. They even close the gate 5 minutes before you arrive and they know you are on the grounds and trying to get the connection, but because they are so punctual, no chance. If you in business you most likely experience next thing is a downgrade into Economy with no word of sorry or no attempt to try and work alternatives out. Compensation, forget it. Service in Economy with a paid Business ticket means on Iberia you have to pay eventually for drinks and food. Economy is Economy and nothing better than Ryanair. On top of all of this, and you paid for Business in the first place, they cut your Milage down to Economy too. Can it get worse? Wonder if they would deny you the Lounge access too, as you are now officially downgraded to Economy. Never again, or I pay Low Cost in the first place. Saves me anger and my budget at the end.
RouteFrankfurt to Gran Canaria via Madrid