✅ Verified Review
| Chengdu to Manchester via Beijing. 1st leg from Chengdu to Beijing was delayed. No information at Chengdu Airport about when my flight was likely to arrive. It was only after it became impossible to catch my connecting flight from Beijing that I received information about the delay, by which time it was pointless. Apparently the reason for the delay was bad weather. When I arrived at Beijing airport, the lady at the Hainan desk was unhelpful and rude. The best they could do for me was to wait 23 hours for my next flight, which was to Brussels and then a flight from Brussels to Manchester. The revised 2nd leg of journey from Beijing to Brussels was delayed by 5 hours, which meant my connecting flight from Brussels to Manchester would be missed too. Hainan Staff at Beijing Airport did not want me to go on the Beijing to Brussels flight with a suggestion that I should wait for another 20 or so hours to get another flight. I never found out where that flight was going because I made it very clear I was going to Brussels regardless and if I then had to fget myself home from there, I would do it. Apparently the reason for the second delay to my flight was bad weather again. After I arrived at Brussels, I had to wait about another 8 hours to get the next flight to Manchester. Soon after my return to Manchester, with my wife being Chinese I asked her to call Hainan offices based in China to ask for Hainan's official delay confirmation so that I could make a claim for the delay against my travel insurance. However, day after day the phone went unanswered, so I emailed their Manchester offices on 19th July giving all my flight details and asking the same thing. I received an automated reply to my email acknowledging my email and that it would be attended to. After it became obvious that I wasn't getting any response to my email, I called their offices at Manchester after having similar difficulties in getting anyone to speak to. Eventually I got through and the lady assured me my case was being dealt with and mentioned that Hainan head office in China had been contacted regarding compensation for my delay. This I found strange because all I had requested was confirmation of the delay, but if they wanted to do that it was fine by me. After nothing forthcoming was received after my call, I emailed them again & eventually got a reply 45 days after my original email. By the time I received Hainan's delay confirmation, the period for submitting it to my insurance company had expired. Upon challenging Hainan Airlines about this latest development, they said it's because I didn't keep emailing reminders to them and because I didn't also send copies of my tickets (which I was never asked for).