Hainan Airlines

"great onboard experience"

(China)

Trip Verified | Beijing to Boston. I have been flying Hainan Airline for four years, and had great onboard experience every time. The seat is very comfortable, I got to relax and actually fell asleep for more than half of the flight time. The flight attendants are nice and patient. When I ask them for an extra lunch, (I was that hungry), they went back to the galley and gave me another meal. I will upgrade to a silver card next flight when I can enjoy the lounge for free. I like flying with Hainan Airlines.
RouteBeijing to Boston
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Overall a great experience"

(China)

Trip Verified | Boston to Beijing. Very good service, cabin crew are very friendly and very helpful. I enjoyed icecreams and other amazing foods. Hainan Airline offers pajamas as well, the accessories were by Bvlgari and of very high quality. The Wifi is not working, which is the only thing that I could complain about this flight. Overall a great experience.
RouteBoston to Beijing

"Very good service"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Toronto. Very good service. Comfortable seat and space. Very thoughtfully provide an extra small bag of personal care accessories for long flight customers. Washrooms got cleaned very frequently. It is very convenient for long flight customers by providing Wi-Fi during the trip., but the quality of WiFi needs to be improved.
RouteBeijing to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"impressed by the friendly staff"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Shenzhen. My experience with Hainan airline was wonderful. I was impressed by the friendly staff and comfortable facilities. I had all the entertainment and a good rest I needed for a long flight. The movies and music are fresh and come in a variety of choices and genres. The food was delicious. I’ll definitely choose Hainan again and I recommend it.
RouteAuckland to Shenzhen
Date FlownNovember 2017

"cabin staff are very nice"

(China)

Trip Verified | The flight between Boston to Beijing is really long, but the cabin staff on the flight are very nice. There is plenty of entertaining movies, actually are pretty updated. Cold water, and hot water are supplied very often which I really appreciated. It would be great if they could improve the cabin WIFI connectivity. Anyway, highly recommend!
RouteBoston to Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2017

"flight attendants were so nice."

(China)

Trip Verified | San Jose to Beijing. Hainan Airline is one of the best Chinese airlines in my opinion because of their great service quality. In SJC airport, they had enough staff so there was only a very short line to check bags. As a frequent flyer, I got access to their VIP lounge. It was a bit overcrowded since it is the only lounge at SJC. The food and drink were limited in the lounge but luckily there are enough plugins close to almost every seat. Boarding was well-organized given this B787 was full that day. On the flight, the flight attendant serve with a smile. There were two meals served on board; both of them were unsatisfying, which is pretty common among all airlines I have taken. For Hainan Airline, I think their food quality is too ‘stable’ – they have not improved for several years. The movies in the entertainment system are quite old, and so is the music. However, none of these problems affected my good mood, because the flight attendants were so nice. The only thing for them to improve is that they turned on the cabin light too early before landing. If they could serve food faster, I could have a longer time to rest. After all, this 12-hour-flight is pretty exhausted for me every time.
RouteSan Jose to Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2017

"certainly fly with them again"

Trip Verified | New York to Chongqing. During the trip, I flew two international flights and two domestic flights with Hainan Airlines. For all the four flights, the airplanes were Boeing 787 and looks very new. Everything on the airplane is in excellent condition. All flight attendants were polite, professional and caring. I will certainly fly with them again.
RouteNew York to Chongqing

"the crew were spot on"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Shanghai via Beijing. My family use this airline on a regular basis and it can be hit and miss, one trip is super and the next amateurish. This time it was good, the crew were spot on and my only real grumbles are the quality of the lounge and the very old limited selection of films and TV programs which are terrible along with the old aircraft used on the winter service which are tired. Some crew have poor English skills which you may say isn't a shock as its a Chinese airline but if they want to cater for the UK markets then they need to provide a service in the language they fly too. I have flown to Italy with them as well and there were Italian speaking staff on the flight and it was easier to speak Italian for me than English at times. We will continue to use Hainan as it flies where we want to although the domestic flight to connect to the International one going back to Europe is generally late, there is not enough time to transfer terminals and whilst I have not missed a connection my family have had bags miss and we know of several other passengers who don't connect so in winter this is a problem as there is no daily service, in summer it's a 24 hour delay at best.
RouteManchester to Shanghai via Beijing
Date FlownNovember 2017

"such poor communication and customer service"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Toronto return via Beijing, outward in July and returning August 2017, and I would not recommend them. I had delays on both outbound and inbound journeys which totaled 52 hours in delays which I believe is unacceptable. While I got a good price, the information was very poor. When I checked into Bangkok airport I was notified of a 3 hour delay. This turned into a 6 hour delay and eventually an 8 hour delay (we were initially suppose to leave at 1:40am and took off at 10am). As there we no Hainan Airlines ground staff at the airport until 6am I had to call China to get updates. When ground staff turned up at the gate at 6am they gave us a small snack box as compensation. At Beijing Airport we were told we had missed our connection and told to go and collect our luggage with little guidance from the ground staff. We asked Hainan to be put us on another airline but we told that was not possible and we would have to wait 24 hours until our next flight (we missed our connection by 30 minutes and they didn't hold the flight). I asked if I could push my return trip back by one day but I was told that this was not possible. The Beijing Airport hotel we were put up in was in poor condition (my hotel room has a wall covered in mold) and the food at the hotel was inedible. On returning to Beijing Airport we found out that we had another 3 hour delay to our flight. No compensation was provided for this delay. When we did finally board the aircraft we waited on the tarmac for an additional 2 hours (supposedly for weather delays). When I arrived at Toronto airport I was told there would be a 1 hour delay (which turned into a 2 hour delay). Arriving into Beijing I was told that I had missed my connecting flight and I would need to wait another 24 hours for the next flight. I complained about the previous hotel and was put into a slightly better hotel than the outward journey but still smelled of cigarette smoke (despite being in a non-smoking room with an ashtray) Despite all of the delays I received very little compensation. I have never received such poor communication and customer service.
RouteToronto to Bangkok via Beijing
Date FlownAugust 2017

"the greatest value airline"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Beijing. I was astounded by the value of this round trip flight, plenty of domestic trips cost more than $450. The service from the crew was excellent and made me feel quite pampered. They were attentive to requests for drinks and snacks with a smile. In flight entertainment had a varied selection and I made a few notes for movies that I didn't have time to get to. They even offer an open drink & snack bar in the back galley during quiet period. Definitely the greatest value airline I've traveled with.
RouteSan Jose to Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2017

Hainan Airlines Photos

HAINAN AIRLINES

Hainan Airlines is a privately owned airline, the fourth largest carrier in China. Celebrating its 24th anniversary in 2017, Hainan Airlines is the only Chinese mainland carrier to be ranked as a 5-Star Airline. The main international hub is Beijing Airport, other hubs at Chengdu, Chingqing, Changsha, Xi'an and Shangai. Hainan Airlines has a fleet of over 180 aircraft, including Boeing 787-9 / 787-8 / 767-300 / 737-800, A330-200/300, anda further 75 aircraft on order.

NEW UNIFORMS

Hainan Airlines unveiled their new uniforms at Paris Couture Week in June 2017. The fifth-generation Hainan Airlines uniforms highlight the combination of traditional Chinese features and internationally popular elements. The fusion of traditional Chinese elements and popular international fashion created an Oriental masterpiece that turned heads in Paris.

BUSINESS CLASS

Hainan Airlines long haul business class is provided on Boeing 787 and A330 aircraft, with flat bed seats, arranged 1x2x1 and 2x2x2 subject to aircraft type. In addition to luxury amenities, business class service includes an Onboard Chef and full dine on demand.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
Onboard WiFi (some int'l routes)
AVODAudio / video on demand
DiningOn demand a la carte dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

DOMESTIC FIRST CLASS

Domestic first class is provided using a mixture of widebody A330, Boeing 787 and Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
AmenitiesSlippers, eyeshade etc

ECONOMY CLASS

Hainan Airlines long haul economy class uses Boeing 787, A330 and Boeing 767 aircraft, and also includes Boeing 737-800 on domestic routes.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 31-33 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 17.2 - 19 ins
Onboard WiFi (some int'l routes)
power_iconUSB power (most int'l routes)
DiningChinese & Western meals
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillows & blankets
AmenitiesAmenity pack (int'l routes)

LOUNGES

Hainan Airlines have recently opened their flagship international lounge, the HNA Club at Terminal 2, Beijing Capital Airport. They also offer domestic lounges at many airports across China and have a new International lounge opening in Xi'an during 2017.

Lounge SeatingExpansive seating options
Seat pitchPrivate seat pods
Lounge showersShower rooms
WiFiLounge WiFi
Work StationsWorkstations / business area
power_iconCharging facilities
AVODEntertainment area
DiningBuffet & a la carte dining
WinesSelf service bar