Hainan Airlines

"got a reply 45 days after my original email"

Verified Review | Chengdu to Manchester via Beijing. 1st leg from Chengdu to Beijing was delayed. No information at Chengdu Airport about when my flight was likely to arrive. It was only after it became impossible to catch my connecting flight from Beijing that I received information about the delay, by which time it was pointless. Apparently the reason for the delay was bad weather. When I arrived at Beijing airport, the lady at the Hainan desk was unhelpful and rude. The best they could do for me was to wait 23 hours for my next flight, which was to Brussels and then a flight from Brussels to Manchester. The revised 2nd leg of journey from Beijing to Brussels was delayed by 5 hours, which meant my connecting flight from Brussels to Manchester would be missed too. Hainan Staff at Beijing Airport did not want me to go on the Beijing to Brussels flight with a suggestion that I should wait for another 20 or so hours to get another flight. I never found out where that flight was going because I made it very clear I was going to Brussels regardless and if I then had to fget myself home from there, I would do it. Apparently the reason for the second delay to my flight was bad weather again. After I arrived at Brussels, I had to wait about another 8 hours to get the next flight to Manchester. Soon after my return to Manchester, with my wife being Chinese I asked her to call Hainan offices based in China to ask for Hainan's official delay confirmation so that I could make a claim for the delay against my travel insurance. However, day after day the phone went unanswered, so I emailed their Manchester offices on 19th July giving all my flight details and asking the same thing. I received an automated reply to my email acknowledging my email and that it would be attended to. After it became obvious that I wasn't getting any response to my email, I called their offices at Manchester after having similar difficulties in getting anyone to speak to. Eventually I got through and the lady assured me my case was being dealt with and mentioned that Hainan head office in China had been contacted regarding compensation for my delay. This I found strange because all I had requested was confirmation of the delay, but if they wanted to do that it was fine by me. After nothing forthcoming was received after my call, I emailed them again & eventually got a reply 45 days after my original email. By the time I received Hainan's delay confirmation, the period for submitting it to my insurance company had expired. Upon challenging Hainan Airlines about this latest development, they said it's because I didn't keep emailing reminders to them and because I didn't also send copies of my tickets (which I was never asked for).
RouteChengdu to Manchester via Beijing
Date FlownJune 2017

"outstanding service inflight"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Seattle. When at the check-in counter, we found our tickets had problems caused by our travel booking agency. Fortunately, with the help and understandings from staff of Hainan Airline, our tickets issue was solved smoothly, and staff helped us rush through the security to the boarding gate. In the end, we were so grateful that we didn’t miss our flight and enjoyed their outstanding service inflight as well. We would definitely fly Hainan Airline again in the future.
RouteBeijing to Seattle
Date FlownAugust 2017

"meals which satisfied me"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Las Vegas. Three meals are provided during the flight include two main meals which satisfied me. Boeing 787-8 is in a good condition and their entertainment system uploads with new movies.
RouteBeijing to Las Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"a very enjoyable journey"

Verified Review | Short two hour flight from Haikou to Bangkok on a sunny morning. Check in at Haikou was simple and efficient. After security, we made our way to the lounge on the first floor. The lounge is simple and clean, with seating for approximately 30 passengers. The food is average, no alcohol (it was 8am so no problem there) and the food was quite stale. We were the only two people in the lounge. When the time came, we were called to board the plane and were escorted by a lounge attendant to the front of the queue and lead directly to a private vehicle to take us across the tarmac to where the plane was waiting at a remote stand, avoiding the bus ferrying other passengers. Nice touch. The plane was a standard Boeing 737-800, not old, not new. There were 8 seats in the business class section and we were the only passengers in that cabin. The seats were generously spaced with plenty of legroom (I'm 6'5). The service on board was friendly and efficient. Food service was good, the quality of food was good but not great. Upon takeoff, we circled just north of the airport (over the mainland) for 20 minutes before setting off for Bangkok. Strange and ultimately caused only a minor delay arriving into Bangkok. Overall, a very enjoyable journey with Hainan airlines.
RouteHaikou to Bangkok
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"it's a great experience"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Chicago. I like how this trip provides three meals instead of the common two meals on the international flights since I get hungry in the middle of the flight. The flight attendants are really funny and nice. Overall, it's a great experience.
RouteBeijing to Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"smooth and very natural"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Brussels. After taking off they served a meal, I ordered lamb chops and tomato soup, the taste was not stunning, but not too bad, in line with business class meal standards. The flight attendants are very kind, young, feeling very smooth and very natural. I did not get the cabin manager greetings or concerns. But even so, the flight attendant worked really hard.
AircraftA330-300
RouteBeijing to Brussels
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"flights were really pleasant"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Brussels to Shanghai via Beijing. We all have high expectations when we choose an airline with a good reputation. And, this time, Hainan did not disappoint. It wasn't perfect, but all flights were really pleasant, no doubt about that. Ground and inflight crew members were nice, friendly and helpful, sometimes communication wasn't super easy, but I'm just getting picky. The big plus was probably the comfort, both in the A333 and Boeing 787, the seat space was impressive. Seated, I wasn't able to touch the next seat in front of me with my feet, that was hugely appreciated when it was time to sleep! The night was really one of the best I spend in a plane! You're still tired upon arrival, but way less than I'm used to. The crew does its best to take care of you, they are attentive to all your needs and always smiling. Good quality of entertainment, I had some trouble to use the wifi in the 787, but, nothing major. Food was good, nothing to complain, good choice of food and wine, good product, I was pretty happy after each lunch. The security briefing is really strange, bordeline creepy, airlines are trying to be original about it, which I can understand, but this one was too much.
RouteBrussels to Shanghai via Beijing
Date FlownJune 2017

"politeness of the staff"

Verified Review | Chicago to Beijing. Good service, pleased with the blankets and other materials provided, and the politeness of the staff. The entertainment was well rounded, the TV in the front seat had games and movies. The food was good, especially the dessert, and with prompt collecting service and generous drink/refreshment service.
RouteChicago to Beijing
Date FlownAugust 2017

"enthusiastic service of the crew"

(China)

Verified Review | Las Vegas to Beijing. The airport in Las Vegas is very small, the lounge opposite the gate, the gate is E2. After boarding only to find the crew turned out to be the same as my flight from Beijing. Seated soon also sent a vial of mineral water, and made a greeting. In the 12.5 hours flight, staff maintained a consistent high-quality services. Because it is already late at night I just eat the breakfast before arrival. Thank you for the enthusiastic service of the crew.
RouteLas Vegas to Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"like to recommend and thank"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Beijing to Tel Aviv. I would like to recommend and thank the wonderful Cabin Manager together with her team served us during the flight number HU7957 on 12-September. A lot of empathy, high professionalism and allow us to feel like we are at home. They did not stop for a moment, keep asking us if you need something and took care each and every problem / request we may have. Such wonderful staff make the different when choosing company to fly with- so thank you Hainan.
RouteBeijing to Tel Aviv

Hainan Airlines Photos

HAINAN AIRLINES

Hainan Airlines is a privately owned airline, the fourth largest carrier in China. Celebrating its 24th anniversary in 2017, Hainan Airlines is the only Chinese mainland carrier to be ranked as a 5-Star Airline. The main international hub is Beijing Airport, other hubs at Chengdu, Chingqing, Changsha, Xi'an and Shangai. Hainan Airlines has a fleet of over 180 aircraft, including Boeing 787-9 / 787-8 / 767-300 / 737-800, A330-200/300, anda further 75 aircraft on order.

NEW UNIFORMS

Hainan Airlines unveiled their new uniforms at Paris Couture Week in June 2017. The fifth-generation Hainan Airlines uniforms highlight the combination of traditional Chinese features and internationally popular elements. The fusion of traditional Chinese elements and popular international fashion created an Oriental masterpiece that turned heads in Paris.

BUSINESS CLASS

Hainan Airlines long haul business class is provided on Boeing 787 and A330 aircraft, with flat bed seats, arranged 1x2x1 and 2x2x2 subject to aircraft type. In addition to luxury amenities, business class service includes an Onboard Chef and full dine on demand.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
Onboard WiFi (some int'l routes)
AVODAudio / video on demand
DiningOn demand a la carte dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

DOMESTIC FIRST CLASS

Domestic first class is provided using a mixture of widebody A330, Boeing 787 and Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
AmenitiesSlippers, eyeshade etc

ECONOMY CLASS

Hainan Airlines long haul economy class uses Boeing 787, A330 and Boeing 767 aircraft, and also includes Boeing 737-800 on domestic routes.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 31-33 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 17.2 - 19 ins
Onboard WiFi (some int'l routes)
power_iconUSB power (most int'l routes)
DiningChinese & Western meals
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillows & blankets
AmenitiesAmenity pack (int'l routes)

LOUNGES

Hainan Airlines have recently opened their flagship international lounge, the HNA Club at Terminal 2, Beijing Capital Airport. They also offer domestic lounges at many airports across China and have a new International lounge opening in Xi'an during 2017.

Lounge SeatingExpansive seating options
Seat pitchPrivate seat pods
Lounge showersShower rooms
WiFiLounge WiFi
Work StationsWorkstations / business area
power_iconCharging facilities
AVODEntertainment area
DiningBuffet & a la carte dining
WinesSelf service bar