Emirates

"I can't understand why they acted like this"

Trip Verified | My business journey from Germany to India took me more than 38 hours, thanks to a not acceptable miss from Emirates. Starting Sunday 10th December in Frankfurt/Germany I finally arrived Tuesday morining at 5 am in Hyderabad/India. For those who don´t know - this flight usually takes not more than 14 hours. It all started with a delay due to weather-conditions in Frankfurt. Well things like this happen, but sitting for more than two hours in the plane waiting for de-icing, Emirates weren't able to serve even a glass of water to passengers. The flight itself to Dubai was ok. In order to get the connecting flight to Hyderabad/India my colleagues and me were running through the airport and finally reached the gate right on time. Everything went fine, we even managed to be at the gate more than 30 min before gate-closing - that was my thought. Here the nightmare begins: At the check-in counter the supervisor told us that our seats had been already given away without any further explanation. This is something I can't understand, I also know from another colleague sitting on the plane that the flight even had free seats (in business as well as in economy). The supervisor told us to go to the customer service counter to raise our issue and clarify how to move on. This happens around 3 am in the morning. Obviously we were not the only one, there was a long lane of passengers at the counter. We were forced to wait more than 2 hours in a line, standing on our feet without seeing any Emirates-employees offering us water, food or just some friendly words. At their home-hub in Dubai? At this point in time around 5.30 in the morning, we were already tired and exhausted. After a long explanation to the service-employee, we managed to get a hotel and an alternative flight for the next evening. In order to check-in into the hotel we need to immigrate to Dubai (another 30min of waiting at immigration) and get a hotel voucher (another 30min of waiting at another Emirates counter). Than the hotel-shuttle was overbooked as well so we pay a taxi out of our pocket to get to the hotel. Next several misses. 7 am in the morning, we got welcomed by a long lane of grounded passengers waiting at the counter to check-in. Two hours later at 9 am in the morning I finally enter my room try to get some sleep. Summary: On a long distance journey things can take a turn for the worse due to delays and this is quite normal. But: I can't understand why they acted like this. There was no apology and the inconvenience was tremendously high. This was my first experience with Emirates and at the moment I am not looking forward for the flight back to Germany.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 777
RouteFrankfurt to Hyderabad via Duabi
Date FlownDecember 2017

"crew were lovely, smiling and efficient"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Flew Hong Kong to Bangkok. Despite getting negatives review Emirates is getting these days, my flights to and from Hong Kong went so smoothly. On both flights crew were lovely, smiling and efficient. This A380 had the first class removed and replaced with economy in the front of the upper deck. A bit odd but makes good sense, as the lounge bar is at the back, cutting economy class at the back will not make sense at all. 20K is a lovely window bulkhead seat, feels really private, everything is perfect working order. Welcome drinks and hot towels, crew were cheerful and happy to engage in a little chit chat. Wifi is free and unlimited, if you are a skyward member travelling in business and first class, regardless of the tire level. Connection is fairly good throughout most of the flights. Meals were delivered with everything on one tray, nice presentation and good taste. Champagne and all kind of alcoholic drinks are plentiful and free flowing should you require. Both flights were under 3 hours, sweet but short. With such competitive price comparing to other airlines, I have no hesitation to choose EK on this route, and also to the Middle East and Europe.
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Really disappointed with my trip"

Trip Verified | London to Ahmedabad via Dubai. I was travelling by business class on the A380 from London to Dubai. I was impressed by the look of the bar and lounge area. I decided to take a couple of pictures and videos of the same to show the look of the lounge to my family. But an Indian flight attendant really rudely asked me to stop clicking pictures and said that if any crew member has been clicked to delete my videos as I can get involved into legal matters. This was embarrassing and humiliating for me as other crew members and passengers could hear this and started staring at us. He would not be wrong in saying this to me but there is a way of requesting for something. I went back to my seat and sat there for a while. I certainly didn’t expect this treatment especially from the Emirates crew after paying so much for the service of the business class, my husband being a gold class member. Really disappointed with my trip. Food was average. I filled have filled a feedback form on the same date saying this but there is no response or apology. Disappointing!
RouteLondon to Ahmedabad via Dubai
Date FlownDecember 2017

"look forward to my next flight with them"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Sydney. I was fortunate on this flight to be upgraded to business class. It was excellent - the crew, service, food, drinks, seat/bed, is all one requires to arrive at your destination feeling fine. My flight up from Sydney in economy was also very good. I look forward to my next flight with them!
RouteBangkok to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2017

"This was not a good trip"

Trip Verified | Birmingham to Nairobi via Dubai. First problem was on checking in. I thought I might be one Kg over but imagine my surprise when I was told I was 6kg over! I had thought that my laptop was separate from my hand luggage allowance. In 2015 when I traveled on the same airline I got 46kg allowance. The clerk said I would have to pay excess baggage. I asked to speak to her supervisor and he said that was right, I’d have to pay. ‘Magnanimously’ he reduced the charge to half, 3kilos, which was £126. This is a right royal ripoff as I regularly send air parcels to Kenya for £4.25 per kilo. I could not afford to leave any goods behind as I was traveling by myself. I was furious and paid the £126. One would think Emirates would want happy customers, but after paying £700 for my ticket and £1000 for my wife to follow me next week I was far from happy. Need to look next time I fly to an alternative airline. To be honest I’ve never found Birmingham Emirates check in very friendly, I feel like I’m being tolerated, not valued. Well the flight was no better, took off late and food took three hours to be served from takeoff, I’m a diabetic and starting to feel quite unwell by the time I got a choice of only one main course which is the usual mushy tray of stew-like substance. Dubai airport is nice but it’s a long trek to the gate followed by a long bus ride to the terminal. Food was again usual poor fare and just before landing a passengber sitting close to me vomited all over himself and he just sat there comatose. I assume he had been drinking before/during the flight and was blotto. There was no apology from cabin staff and although many passengers were retching from the smell onboard, no air fresher was brought by stewardesses! The visa and passport control in Nairobi was a fiasco and it took about an hour to get through although we still had to wait a long time for our baggage at reclaim. This was not a good trip!
RouteBirmingham to Nairobi via Dubai
Date FlownDecember 2017

" my Tier and miles cutting to half"

Trip Verified | I bought Two tickets for same route Colombo to Melbourne via Singapore and return Sydney to Colombo. At the purchased time System shows that I can earn about 43000 Tier and 48000 miles for each ticket. The first ticket I bought to travel in November and second for travel on February 2018. After I used first trip Colombo to Melbourne, before return from Sydney to Colombo I saw on Emirates Apps that the my Tier and miles cutting to half. After I make contact with Emirates, Asking I send any screenshot from miles was offered to me. I think no any one people think any airline want to cut or cheat to take any screenshot from miles. Just I keep my ticket and no miles shows in tickets. After I come back from first trip, I requested Emirates to see computers logs and later Emirates just said sorry was miles calculated in error. I asking supervisor to take look in my case and miles credited to my account for fist ticket. I requested to do same for second ticket. But until now I didn't find that emirates do for it. Many peoples compare routes and flights that can make more tier and miles for more benefits. So this is important for me to recover my Miles. I suggest to all taking full screenshots from any ticket and other documents may can show later to not cut or cheat anything by airlines.
AircraftA380-800
RouteColombo to Melbourne via Singapore
Date FlownNovember 2017

"went above and beyond with care"

Trip Verified | Flew Emirates from Dubai to Manchester. Unfortunately I became unwell approximately 1.5hrs into the flight, reason unknown. However, can say the flight crew that looked after me in 68G went above and beyond with care, three ladies especially. They moved me to where I could lay down. I’m grateful for that, their care and kindness helped me to endure what was an awful experience.
RouteDubai to Manchester
Date FlownDecember 2017

"wouldn’t rush back or recommend"

Trip Verified | London to Dubai inflight entertainment didn’t work and food very average. Durban to Dubai slightly better food, live footy was a nice touch. Return journey I upgraded to business class but was unable to use the lounge as this was a promo fare. Seat comfortable. Service good. Disappointing food once again and would not upgrade again. Dubai to London food ok all in all I wouldn’t rush back or recommend but not a lot of choices around to Durban
AircraftA380 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteLondon to Durban via Dubai
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Very abrupt customer service"

Trip Verified | London to Melbourne via Dubai. Flight delayed in Dubai by over 3 hours because of an issue with the in-flight entertainment in First Class - nothing wrong with the aircraft and could have taken off on time. Flight delayed by over 2 hours arriving in Melbourne. When my husband tried to complain (he was the sole traveller in September), they gave him 15000 air miles. These have an expiry date. We did not want the airmiles, but Emirates would not entertain giving a full refund or partial refund. Very abrupt customer service. Apparently if he had not had Skyrewards, he wouldn't have got any compensation. Unfortunately we have booked for a family of 7 to travel with Emirates again next year to Australia. They are a shocking company. If anyone has any advice on what to do, I would be very grateful. Would never recommend them again. In addition - my 2 year old grand daughter has an egg allergy, when I told customer services this re. inflight meals, they told me it was my problem and to buy food for her at the airport. Maybe the CEO of Emirates needs to take a closer look at how this airline is being run and the attitude of the members of staff.
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Dubai
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"seats that were tight"

Trip Verified | Glasgow to Dubai. Terrible seats that were tight and not good for sleeping, and the dullness of the cabin and the way the staff talk to you is terrible. I would recommend Qatar Airways as it has great staff, modern aircraft, great food and a great hub airport.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER