United Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"find this seat to be competitive"

Trip Verified | Boeing 787-10, seat 20J This review is for the Premium Plus seat, which is United Airlines's true premium economy offering. The seat has been installed in all B787-10s and B777-300ERs, and some B777-200s. However, the Premium Plus service does not begin until later in March. The seat is wider and has a deeper recline, allowing me to sleep quite well. Electric sockets and USB plugs are on the inside armrest which is a bit difficult to access, but at least for Premium Plus, every passenger has their own plug (vs. United Economy where every 3 seats must share 2 plugs). I find this seat to be competitive to other premium economy offerings and recommend it.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 787-10
Seat Layout2x3x2
Date FlownMarch 2019

"is a very roomy seat"

Trip Verified | This is a review of the Premium Plus seat. (Premium Plus service will begin in March.) My seat was 20K. Overall, this is a very roomy seat and compares favorably with other premium economy offerings. The recline and calf-rest (available only in bulkhead seats) make sleeping easy. On this flight, I went to sleep after the first meal service and slept straight through until the second meal service, an hour away from Newark.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300ER
Seat Layout2x4x2
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"most uncomfortable seating"

Trip Verified | This was the most uncomfortable seating I have ever been subjected to in over fifty years of worldwide flying. It was extremely cramped and the seat bottom was very hard. I had to put a blanket and a sweater under me to alleviate the pain of this hard seat. I had applied moths ahead for a paid upgrade to first class but was unable to get the upgrade in either direction on a trip from SFO to Maui (OGG). The seating on the way back on a Boeing 757-200 was marginally better with 2" more legroom and the same seat hardness. I am already booked first class SFO to MIA return in May/June 2019 but wish I wasn't.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737MAX
Date FlownJanuary 2019
Seat Storage 12345

"worth the additional cost"

Trip Verified | KOA to DEN (red eye flight) Economy Plus - 6 inches of extra leg room compared to economy, worth the additional cost. Smooth flight, smiling attendants. ONE beverage service for a 6 1/2 flight. One attendant came through the in middle of the night with water on a tray. Sitting in the window seat, I was not able to get his attention. Cabin lights were turned on 15 minutes prior to landing. In Seat entertainment, was blocked, needed to wait about an hour for attendant to take off the child lock from previous flight (seat belt signed remained on). Complimentary headsets were offered. The sound plug on the seat was not working properly, tried 3 different types of headsets, had high pitch buzzing sound that made watch/listening very annoying. In addition, the seat charger was lose and my phone never charged. Annoying "fasten seat belt calls" multiple times during the evening. DEN to RDU - smooth flight, smiling attendants, one beverage service. Regular economy seat, ok leg room, but seat would not recline. No inflight entertainment, used personal device. Kudos to the captain for a smooth flight into Raleigh. despite rainy weather. KOA-DEN rating, 2 DEN-RDU 7.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 757
Date FlownNovember 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"3 seats in business class broken"

Trip Verified | No mobile boarding pass offered on this flight. Seated in business class. Seat 2E. 3 seats in the business class cabin are broken, including mine. Flight crew allowing a line up of coach passengers, to use the business biz class restroom despite this being an international flight returning to the USA. Meal service and food is sub par compared to AC, AA, AS. Very old plane and the biz class isn’t updated. Flight crew are friendly. Flight left 20 mins behind schedule.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Seat Layout2x2
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Very uncomfortable seats"

Trip Verified | The Boeing 737-900 seats on the United Express from IAH to TUS is as hard as cement. Very uncomfortable seats. The tray was broken so I couldn’t use my tray. The cabin temperature was very cold.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-900
Date FlownSeptember 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"nothing to complain about"

Trip Verified | I upgraded to economy plus for $19 for this flight that lasted under an hour. The only thing you get on economy plus is more leg room. The flight was so short that the captain made an announcement that there would be no service and that no one was allowed to take off their seatbelts including the flight attendants. For a flight that lasted under an hour there is really absolutely nothing to complain about.
Aircraft TypeA320
Date FlownJune 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"the most miserable seats"

Trip Verified | The most unfriendly service (domestic portion) and the most miserable seats (international flights). There was less than inch of cushion on a narrow seat with no leg space. First leg was from SFO to TPE(Taipei) for almost 12 hours. Could not move, sleep. The return leg was from NRT (Tokyo) to IAD (Washington DC). This leg was about 14 hours and as bad as the first leg. UA is doing its best to out itself out of business. I will go out of my way and pay more to travel on foreign airlines so I can keep my dignity and be treated with respect.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777
Seat Layout3x4x3
Date FlownJanuary 2018
Seat Storage 12345

"entertainment was seriously lacking"

Verified Review | Denver to Portland on an A319. The website says that your carry on is included and then when you check in they charge you $50 extra round trip. Waiting time the lines were enormously long at check in, both ways, which means they never have the staff to is facilitate their flights. Service onboard was nice enough though the entertainment was seriously lacking. Won't be using them again.
Aircraft TypeA319
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the worst plane trip"

Verified Review | This was the worst plane trip I've ever taken. We were on a United 777 from NYC to San Francisco and I thought that trip was bad. I often get dehydrated on planes, but I am used to the staff offering water to customers regularly, especially on long flights. They never came around until I almost passed out. On the way back to NYC from SFO we made sure we had plenty of leg room. We each paid $150 extra for an exit aisle. We are both tall and have long legs. We definitely got our leg room, but when I tried to sit in my seat, I couldn't fit. Our arm rests did not go up, so no relief there. I am slightly overweight, but not enough to have ever caused this. I have plenty of length left on my seatbelt and I don't have trouble fitting into seats. This, however, was punitive. When I finally managed to squeeze into the seat, I couldn't bend over and had massive trouble getting OUT of the seat. I have bruises on my hips from the seat. And all of our shoulders and arms overlapped which means we were all hunched forward the entire 6 hours in order to fit into this space. I have since learned that United has "ultra slim" seats. Anything to make more money. The customer will pay, no worries. I hate United and will never fly them again. I ended up not being able to walk properly for hours after the flight. I am still in extreme pain 24 hours later. And of course, none of us have any recourse.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-200