United Airlines

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"seat on this aircraft was rather dismal"

The seat on this particular aircraft was rather dismal. I understand these seats were not designed for people who stand at 6'3 but I had to cross my legs in this seat otherwise my knees would have been crushed by the seat in front. I have flown with United multiple times and will continue to do so as they provide fantastic service however I actively avoid picking flights that fly the 757. Its narrow claustrophobic out of date and should only be used on small 2-4 hour flights - not transatlantic routes! My experience with other airlines on the B757 have been very similar.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 757-300
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"no seat entertainment options"

From YEA (Edmonton Canada) we have only one economic option that gets us to IAH and in time to make connections into Central America and it is UA. To their credit they usually leave and arrive back here on time and in the 8 trips we have made they have not lost luggage (though they did damage 2 pieces. The single most common complaint about UA from here is that they fly A320 and A319 Airbus aircraft set up for short haul commuter routes like Boston to New York on this 4.75 hour long haul to Houston. There are no seat entertainment options; not even headphone jacks. Food service is minimal though once we were served a breakfast bun. This poor service flies in the face of that which we receive on our connecting flights to Central America which all include seat back entertainment systems and audio options and usually include a snack/meal even though they are shorter flights (4 hours to Panama). I don't get where UA draws the line on service and aircraft selection - perhaps it is because they figure Canadians are not complainers and will make do with handmedown soon to be retired aircraft and barebones service. Sorry guys but sitting next to a 275 pound guy crammed into a middle seat with so little room that he had to wrap his knees around the seat in front of him for 4+ hours has pushed my buttons hard enough that I am complaining this time. These flights are full and we pay the same money as everyone else; it is about time you get with the program and treat your long haul Canadian customers with some basic respect.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"seats were so hard and uncomfortable"

The seats were so hard and uncomfortable that neither my husband nor I could relax much less sleep. The other person sitting in our row experienced the same discomfort. The recline angle of the seat was very small and the actual seat was hard as a board. Horrible horrible flights to and from San Diego from Dulles Airport (DC). I vow never to fly United Again.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"new seats are very small"

New seats are very small too short to accommodate most passengers' posteriors; less total leg room many passengers had their knees jammed against the seat in front of them. Seat pocket is essentially non-existent a tiny net would not hold my iPad. Tray table is smaller not enough room for a United snack box and a drink. Armrests are half the width; no lumbar support on seat back thin padding. I felt unstable in the seat especially if the plane made a turn. I felt I needed to keep the belt fastened the entire flight to stay in the seat.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"had NO additional leg room"

The Economy Plus seat I was charged extra for had NO additional leg room over the standard coach seat on the same flight. The first time I have seen this happen.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"exit row has excellent legroom"

Row 21 on United's domestic 757-200s. Exit row has excellent legroom I've flown in First Class before on the same aircraft and I believe the legroom is almost the same (if not the same) Recline is above industry standard and getting out of your seat is easy with minimal disturbance towards your neighbors.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 757-200
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"seat was not bad at all"

PIT-IAD Seat 10A window. The seat was not bad at all for the 1hr 10 min trip between Pittsburgh and DC. At 5' 11" I was still able to stretch my legs. Even though 10A was a seat on the wing of the turboprop service noise was not a factor at all. There was no beverage service for the short trip but that was well documented on the e-ticket. The Q400 has a lower cruising speed and operational altitude which combine to provide stellar views on a clear day. Personally I prefer the boarding/deplaning ease and gate simplicity of smaller crafts so I try to book them when at all possible.
Aircraft TypeBOMBARDIER Q400
Seat Layout2x2
Viewing Tv Screen N/A

"Cabin temp was consistent throughout"

IAD--STL 6A window single side. I can see the appeal of seats on the single side when travelling solo and I would reserve it again in the future. The only real negative was the fact that the seat cushion is nearing the end of its natural life. I really noticed this during the final hour of the flight. I have read other reviewers mentioning their perception that single seats toward the front of the craft were noticeably cooler due to their proximity to the cabin door but that was not my experience. Cabin temp was consistent throughout. A seat near the front allows you to zip right off the plane when its time. Two thumbs up!
Aircraft TypeEMBRAER ERJ145
Seat Layout1x2
Viewing Tv Screen N/A

"cabin interior is exceptionally good"

(Japan)

I flew with a refurbished United economy cabin. Although the aircraft is technically old (B757) but the cabin interior is exceptionally good (far better compared to the unrefurbished United). For a short flight to LAX from SFO it was more than enough to have a refurbished and well-reclinable seat a personal IFE screen and a cup of coke.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 757-200
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"Plane is tiny and cramped"

UA117 from Hong Kong to Singapore. Plane is tiny and cramped. No Economy Plus full plane. I am average height and still my knees bumped against the seat in front of me & was painful when the person in front reclined. Width was very bad too: I kept on having to pinch my legs together to avoid resting on the legs of the people next to me. This was just an awful experience.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 737-800