Cathay Pacific Airways

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"should not charge a premium for these seats"

We paid $100 extra for each flight to have "Extended Legroom Seats". Unfortunately this put us in Row 31 beside an exit door. The cold and the noise from the door were both unbearable throughout the trip. Cathay Pacific should not charge a premium for these seats despite the extra legroom. Our written complaint to the airline generated a reply but not a very satisfactory adjustment ($50 voucher for duty free on our next flight).
Aircraft TypeB777
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"seat is very good overall"

Los Angeles to Hong Kong. The seat is very good overall. The seat backs are fixed so that the person in front of you does not recline into your face. The recline and tray latch proved to be a little difficult. The personal TV screen was located at a comfortable level with the controller below.
Aircraft TypeB777-300ER
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"found the economy seat so uncomfortable"

I found the economy seat so uncomfortable that that after my return leg journey is completed I will never fly CX economy again. I cannot believe that the seat designers and management of CX actually tested these seats. Yes the passenger in front does not recline into your "space" but the downside is a terrible seat position - most uncomfortable non ergonomic position I have encountered on an aircraft.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"the seat width is average"

Flew SYD-HKG and HKG-LHR on these seats. These "mini-shell" seats are just horrible. While the legroom is good and the seat width is average I spent 13 hours of suffering on the Hong Kong- London route due to a small hard cushion a firm backrest no neck support and almost no head support due to the awkward recline. Tried to sleep but couldn't and on both flights ended up with sore butt and neck/head ache as well. Just weak. Have two more flights with these seats both overnight and are dreading them both. Will not ever fly economy with CX again with these seats and I will not ever fly economy to London again as I barely survived the Economy crush.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"shell economy seats are terrible"

The shell economy seats are terrible!! Cathay promote their shell seat as being better than previous as it doesn't recline into the seat behind. However it is not easy - almost impossible - for someone to sleep sitting bolt upright. The seat cushion - which is very slim - only slides down about 4" within the shell and this is the extent of the movement in the seat. I was not a happy traveller !
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"the worst we have ever experienced"

Having read these reviews I can only assume the 'shell' seat is unbearable at any height. I am a 5'6"female & travelled with my 15yo son (5'10") and husband (5'9") - all of slim to average build - from Melbourne to Hong Kong. This was our first experience of these seats and the torture they induce. We each tried to cope with the unnatural shapes the seat contorts your body into by adopting different positions - enduring neck back and/or tailbone pain as a result. These seats are unquestionably the worst we have ever experienced I am just glad we left our 6' plus son behind. We assumed this was an old plane/old design; having just visited the Cathay site I am shocked to learn they are being lauded particularly given all the negative reviews.
Aircraft TypeA330
Seat Layout2x4x2

"leg room was good"

(New Zealand)

For an economy seat leg room was good even with the seat recline. The new seat doesn't give a good sleeping position but few economy seats do. My big gripe is the cushion thickness. While just about bearable on the LHR-HKG leg it became very painful on the HKG-AKL leg. Take cushions and break your journey!
Aircraft TypeB777/A340
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"provides no lumbar support and is hard"

I'm 5'4" and found the seat OK on a 12 hour trip from London to Hong Kong so long as I used the pillow behind my back. The back of the seat provides no lumbar support and is hard. I will happily put up with this given the huge improvement brought about by the seat sliding forward into a recline rather than by tipping the seat back into the lap of the guy behind. This must lower passenger tension and air-rage and is surely worth it. I will no longer have to fight for an exit row or bulkhead seat again.
Aircraft TypeB777-300
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"found Cathay's seats to be poorly designed"

Let me assure tall people who wrote in hypothesising that their height contributed to their discomfort on these sliding seats: it had nothing to do with it. I am 5'3" found Cathay's seats to be poorly designed. Short people have spines too and the lack of lumbar support affects these stubby structures in a similar way. The only difference I noticed was that instead of having my knees pushed into my neck by sliding forward as taller folk experienced my head slid so far down the seat that the nifty head support gizmo spent most of the trip acting as a coat hang and not as head support.
Aircraft TypeB777-300ER
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"your knees end up in your face"

YYZ to HKG return. This is a long 15hr flight. Being 6'6" makes any seat difficult but to Cathay's credit they gave me an exit row. Without this act of kindness I would have been crippled because the new shell design (non-reclining) is completely insane. Have the cushions slide forward and describing this as the same as reclining is absurd. Your knees end up in your face - try it at home! One can only hope that these things get scrapped and a legitimate engineer designs the new ones. Cathay Pacific dropped the ball on this one and I cannot understand how it hasn't affected their rating.
Seat Layout2x3x2