Cathay Pacific Airways

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"there was no recline"

There was no recline. Seat pad moved forward slightly which brought my knees up against the seat in front Because of design of seat there was no head support and pillow supplied didn't fill the gap between back of my head and seat. The airbag attached to the seatbelt caused problems when the passenger in the adjoining seat moved they pushed down on the armrest which forced the airbag down into my thigh. The armrests were about 5cms too low and as a result didn't offer any support.
Seat Layout2x4x2
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"the worst I have ever experienced"

London to Sydney via Hong Kong. The journey entailed four flights in two different plane types. The return flight was direct with a 2 hour changeover in Hong Kong. I can only agree with the majority of passengers on this site who have already reviewed the new seats. They are actually appalling - the worst I have ever experienced. They do not recline and for myself and my husband that made sleep impossible. Whenever we tried to fall asleep our heads would loll forward the breathing became restricted and we immediately woke up. The slide forward motion of the horizontal seat only succeeded in creating a non-supported gap behind the lower back which was very uncomfortable.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"found no trouble at all"

(New Zealand)

Cathay Pacific's new Economy class seat was average even though it was quite well designed. I had an aisle seat and found no trouble at all. The negative about the seat was that you couldn't recline. The food was great like the service and fares.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"trip was a miserable experience"

It is clear that the people at CX responsible for selecting these seats have never flown long haul in them. We flew Toronto-Hong Kong and Hong Kong-Sydney return. The trip was a miserable experience. The seats are narrow no legroom to speak of no real recline and the "air bag" built into the seat belt further reduces comfort. My advice is fly with a different airline.

"the legroom was small"

(New Zealand)

The legroom was small. The woman sitting next to us was so close we could feel her breathing on us. The seats did not recline which made the trip unbearable. The air conditioning was freezing in our cabin. The food was good and the service was quick.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"not permitting any chance of a sleeping position"

(New Zealand)

The idiots who signed off on these Economy seats should be made to spend the rest of their lives suffering in them themselves. Totally uncomfortable and not permitting any chance of a sleeping position of any kind. I had a free seat next to me and it did not provide any relief. How did they even get to deciding this is what an Economy Class passenger might find reasonable.
Seat Layout2x4x2

"I knew what to expect"

I'd heard rave reviews about Cathay Pacific but was aware of the new seating they'd installed in Economy Class so I knew what to expect. I was travelling with them as part of a package to the Hong Kong Sevens so didn't have any other alternative. The seats confirmed my worst fears. They are just awful. I'm 6ft 5 and if you choose your seat carefully on line before getting to the airport then you can at least get some leg-room if you're lucky. The real issue is comfort. There simply isn't any as the seat cusion is just too thin. The 'recline' or slide forward motion is awful as well. I had a really sore lumbar on arriving back in London as you can't get comfortable and sleep is nearly impossible in an upright position. Warning! Take a seat and neck cushion. It's hard to believe that this refurbishment was (I hope) researched and tested prior to introduction. If it had surely it wouldn't have progressed.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"shell seats offer a personal space"

(Italy)

The shell seats offer a personal space in which nobody can intrude. There is good lumbar support if you keep your backside close to the cushion and don't slide. If you do slouch then a cushion is necessary to fill the gap. The shell is actually more reclined than regular airline seats.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"the worst I've ever experienced"

I flew return from Vancouver to Delhi via Hong Kong in February. Although there were two different aircraft involved each with a different seat configuration the seats were the same - the worst I've ever experienced. Very little legroom but worst of all the seats didn't recline. All that could be done was to slide the seat bottom forward which only gave the illusion of leaning back a bit. This put my back into a painful slumped position and because the seat back was still upright my head and neck were pushed forward. Within half an hour I had excruciating back pain which I couldn't get rid of regardless of how I positioned myself. On such a long flight as Vancouver - Hong Kong such seats seem absurd since it's pretty much impossible to sleep. I was miserable the entire time and could only pray that the seats between Hong Kong and Delhi would be different. They weren't. When the agonising trip was finally over and I was finally in India I kept having the awful realisation that I was going to have to sit in the same torturous seats all the way home again.
Viewing Tv Screen N/A

"very hard to sleep"

I'm on the tall side (6' 2") and skinny and found the shell seats some of the worst airline seats I have ever sat in. The issue is the way they recline since the seat slides forward the headrest never allows your head's center of gravity to get behind your solders. This makes it very hard to sleep because your head keeps flopping forward. The other issue with the recline on these seats is that the seat base slides forward making it very hard to extend your legs out under the seat in-front of you. The overall result is a truly uncomfortable slouch.
Aircraft TypeB777