Toronto Pearson Airport

"airport never fails to shock me"

Trip Verified | I am a regular at Pearson and a Star Alliance Gold member. The airport never fails to shock me how badly it manages even a low volume of people on a Sunday afternoon. It is situated far from the city with poor and crowded public transport options. The priority queue at the security was as long as the regular one, and the treatment was just as rude. This time they picked on the book I was carrying, saying it was too thick. There was another lengthy queue at the US immigration, showing another example of poor capacity management. The lack of foresight also shows after immigration: the lounge can only be accessed by taking an elevator up. It is the same elevator that takes mobility-impaired passengers down to the level of the gates. I prefer not knowing what kind of fights unfold on a busy day.
Date VisitMay 2019

"an embarrassing reflection on Canada"

Trip Verified | Arrived from Panama City on AC Rouge an hour late due to wind conditions (not the fault of the airline) and needed to re-book a later connector to Ottawa. This was treated as a mysterious request. Many of the AC staff scattered around the airport seemed unable to help passengers with problems - the general attitude was "it's not my responsibility". It was a great relief for us to find an agent who understood the system. I felt very sorry for several travelers we saw from foreign countries who were being shuttled back and forth from agent to agent, sometimes rudely. All in all, an embarrassing reflection on Canada. I will do my best to avoid Air Canada and Pearson in the future. AC Rouge has poor on-line reviews which it deserves
Date VisitMay 2019

"nightmarish experience"

Trip Verified | I had an absolutely nightmarish experience connecting to a USA flight after arriving from Vancouver on AC flight today. I had just over an hour to connect and the only reason I was able to do it on time is because I had a Nexus card. The lineups for the rest of the mere mortals were ridiculously long. Speaking about my Nexus card experience: out of five Nexus kiosks, three were out of order. The remaining two weren't able to let me use my Nexus card and insisted on using a passport. Thank god, I had my passport on me and was able to get through eventually! In the past, I had nothing but a pleasant experience with Pearson, but I am guessing it is only because I didn't use the USA connection facilities. They are just inhumane. To add insult to the injury, a bunch of airport workers, were herding the poor connecting customers like a cattle, shouting and being really impatient with them. I'll make sure I'll use other airports for USA connections and steer clear of this Pearson hellhole in my future travel. Two days later I am returning to Canada from USA and need to pass the customs as part of my connection. I can't believe they still demand the paper customs declarations! Send someone to YVR to learn how it should be done these days!

"need to smile more"

Not Verified | Canadians working in that airport need to smile more. Smile makes you look like friendly human beings not like some prison guard. Maybe some people just try to look tough, I don't know if this is a Canadian airports thing but its more ridiculous then professional. Some staff very helpful but some look like they are having a bad day.
Date VisitApril 2019

"comfortable and stress free"

Not Verified | My husband and I flew out of Toronto Pearson airport via Air Canada flight on Wednesday, April 10. We found the experience of waiting the 3 hours from arrival at the airport until plane boarding to be comfortable and stress free. The staff were great at directing us to our check in location and advising us of options for food and beverage service. The seating areas near our boarding gate were comfortable with plenty of spots to sit and enjoy a snack or check e-mail. Wi Fi service was consistent. Upon arrival back in Toronto on April 17, we were greeted by staff who offered wheel chair or motorized cart transportation to anyone who was hesitant to make the trek to the baggage claim area. We chose to walk, thinking that we could use the moving sidewalks if we got tired as we had bought several large, heavy items at duty free which we had with us. However, we soon found out that the moving sidewalk was under construction and not operating.

"Confusing transfer"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Confusing transfer between terminals for international passengers with luggage to recheck as there is only a sign to re-check Westjet luggage, but no sign for Air Canada re-check although it is at the same place. When I traveled from Thailand to Halifax in 2018, my luggage missed my connections on both arrival and departure trips, arriving two days later in each case - both missed the connection in Toronto Pearson. I'm pretty sure I missed picking up my laptop at the security check in Terminal 1 and now a week later, have had no info about it - had to register it online, with no phone number or email address to communicate with a human being - am quite disappointed.

"really a disappointment"

Trip Verified | As an experienced traveller flying globally Toronto airport as much as I love the city is really a disappointment. Worst airport experience in a long time. Rude staff from check in to food stands and gift shops entire staff needs to be re trained on basic good manners and customer service. Worst was the custom Built Hamburger place. They got the order wrong and literally laughed in our faces. Burgers were stone cold we took them back second time even colder and they looked already eaten so messy really disgusting. Flight delayed 6 hours and we are stuck with the rudest and unfriendly incapable airport staff I have experienced in my last 30 years of travel. Sad and disappointing end to our trip to Toronto.
Date VisitApril 2019

"over an hour for baggage"

Not Verified | I am an expatriate that travels often to Toronto. I am a seasoned traveller for the last 40 years. I am appalled at the customer service and baggage reclaim on arrival. Waiting for over an hour for baggage reclaim on a flight that was delayed by 4 hours as well! I have never seen such chaos at an airport before. The Canadian Government should be ashamed at what has happened to YYZ. This is not acceptable in todays world of travel. Customers expect service and good communication when travelling. I had a colleague arrive few days later and they waited 2.5 hours for their bags to arrive on carousel. The only reason given was broken equipment!

"the dirtiest airport"

Not Verified | Outside of Terminal at Toronto Pearson is one of the dirtiest airport I have seen. Not sure what is wrong but it looks disgusting. Papers, buds, cans, you name it.

"a national disgrace"

Trip Verified | Almost every aspect of this airport in a national disgrace. We had countless concerns: The airport was not clean Unfinished construction everywhere, but there was no work underway. It just seemed to be left as temporary walls, etc Signage is terrible. We had great difficulty navigating the maze from terminal 3 to terminal 1 to make a connection. There was no sign to drop checked baggage for connecting Air Canada flight after clearing customs in terminal 3 (there was only a small sign for WestJet connections, but this sign was obstructed). The signage to the train to terminal 1 was also poor (sign reads train to downtown). Signage is very important considering it is such a maze. The security at terminal 1 Gate D was understaffed and very slow. Again directions were poorly signed. Many of the moving sidewalks were inoperative. Not good for senior citizens who have been travelling for 36 hours. The airport is poorly organized, especially compared to the efficient airports in SE Asia where we can from. There should be artwork, signs, exhibits to showcase Canada to foreigners. Instead the airport makes Canada look like a 3rd world nation. There is poor food selection at Gate D. The Thai Express was closed, blocked off by yet another “temporary” wall. I could go on, but this airport needs a serious review and analysis, with a view to making significant improvements to both terminals.
Date VisitMarch 2019