Sofia Airport

"wait 15 minutes crammed into the bus"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Horrible experience during the transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 with the Shuttle. We arrived in Sofia airport at Terminal 1 by bus. The information we had was that a bus would come to take us to Terminal 2. Came a bus very small in very poor condition and could accommodate only about twenty people with large suitcases. The bus filled up in 10 minutes and we were crowded inside. There was no open window and no air-condition. We had to wait 15 minutes crammed into the bus because the bus could not leave earlier than the schedule. This is a perfect example of why some people visiting Bulgaria never want to come back again. I am writing this review because i believe something can change in good way. Please everyone who reads this bad review and can do something to act quickly and rigorously.
Date VisitJune 2022

"Appalling and rude staff"

Trip Verified | Appalling and rude staff. When at the security checks, the lady telling me to put my bags in the basket before the scanner was telling me off for putting a full looking plastic bag regardless of the fact that I reassured her that it didn’t contain any bottles. After going through the metal detector, although I had no belts or jewellery, it kept beeping and the lady who was scanning everyone started giving me intense attitude. She was very impatient and made me feel extremely uncomfortable and then started patting me down and lifting my shirt, exposing my upper body, right in front of everyone there. When I expressed my distress and discomfort, she started arguing with me which led to her taking me into a private room, asking me to strip off all my clothes in which I refused. She started arguing with me and said it’s procedure and blamed it on me for being uncomfortable with the way she was patting me down in front of everyone. I expressed to her many times that I do not have an issue with the procedure that she has to carry out, but just the fact that I wish she had asked whether I would prefer to be taken to a private room if lifting my shirt was so necessary for me to board the plane. Regardless of me expressing my discomfort and making her aware of my hidden disability, she did not care about how I felt and kept arguing with me. I asked her to call a superior and her superior didn’t know any English and was giving me even worse attitude than her and was laughing at me for being uncomfortable with the situation. Her impatience and my constant refusal to strip led to her calling the airport police who was thankfully willing to hear me out and watch her carry out the procedure without me having to strip off all my clothes. After continuing on through the border control and passport checks, all the staff that had witnessed the scene kept staring at me in a discomforting way which made me feel even worse than I was already feeling. Please educate your staff on how to deal with people and be considerate of people with hidden disabilities. This is such a shame because I loved the city and had plans to come back, I hope something like this does not happen again. Be careful everyone.
Date VisitJune 2022

"the worst airport I have been to"

Trip Verified | Sofia International Airport is the worst airport I have been to. The Airport in Bombay is 1000 times better than Sofia. The waiting area before check-in is ridiculously basic. Toilets are disgusting, there are no basic facilities like phone charging. If you have a big gap between flights...good luck! Especially if it's early in the morning - there is no decent coffee, comfortable seats or place to work from your computer. Sofia Airport is the first thing that tourists see when they arrive in our “European” country, no surprise then why they don’t want to come back…
Date VisitMay 2022

"such a disgusting attitude"

Trip Verified | Disappointing attitude of the airport staff. They denied my boarding to UK (the country I work and live in for the past 5 years) stating that my Covid Pass (issued by the NHS England) is not going to be accepted in England. That cost me a huge amount of money in order to travel the next day. They didn't want to give any answers to my questions, they refused to let me speak to a Supervisor, they didn't want to scan the QR code of my Covid Pass, and didn't provide any solution to my problem, just shut the Gate doors Infront of me and rolled their eyes. I've been traveling all over Europe and have never experienced such a disgusting attitude. I've arrived in England a day late and border control told me my Covid Pass was perfectly acceptable there. I doubt Sofia Airport will do anything about my complaint or reimburse any of my extra costs caused by them.
Date VisitFebruary 2022

"Appalling customer service"

Trip Verified | Appalling customer service across the board from handling agents to shop assistants-talking on their mobiles whilst pretending to serve customers, extremely rude and impatient as if the people paying their wages were an inconvenience to them. If you don't like the job you are in, have some self - respect and leave and find some time to work on your people's skills. A shocking and embarrassing experience. Managers should be apologising to all visitors for this disaster of customer service. Passengers deserve a lot better. What a shame!
Date VisitFebruary 2022

"lacked any sense of customer service"

Not Verified | I have travelled through that airport many times over the course of the last twenty years. For an airport this size the amenities are adequate. What is really peculiar about it is the crass rudeness of the personnel there that you can occasionally encounter. I have had to deal with personnel who were rude, disrespectful, incompetent and lacked any sense of customer service. Not only that but the personnel there tends to gang up against the passengers when the passengers try to complain about the staff's rude and unprofessional behavior and even threaten the passengers that they will not allow them on the airplane if the passengers keep creating problems. With that said, I have also run into nice and friendly personnel who actually smile at you and wish you a pleasant flight. I would also say that over the last close to twenty years I have used that airport the staff hospitality and friendliness has improved a lot. However the occasional crass rudeness and disrespect that you run into - a remnant of communism when the concept of customer service and quality did not exist - can really ruin it for you and make you want to avoid the airport at all cost.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"The worst experience"

(Romania)

Not Verified | The worst experience I have had at the airport in security check. I had to remove everything I had, laptop, liquid, electronics and after I passed they didn’t want to speak English. They started opening my bag, removing all the clothes and put everything in the dirty boxes. I kept asking why they were doing this and they just laughed. They passed all my clothes in the boxes under the screen and then nothing. I asked to speak with the supervisor who was even ruder than the staff. Due to my job, I am traveling on a weekly basis in all countries and so many airports and never has such a bad experience happened.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"it is extremely basic"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | The surroundings area beautiful, neat and tidy but the airport looks already dated. In terms of facilities, shopping and ways to spend your time waiting it is extremely basic.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"said you can’t leave the airport"

Trip Verified | They hold me hostage even after I told them I’m from USA I have documents to travel here. They won’t look at the paperwork and 13 people total lock us out said you can’t leave the airport you must go back. Very mean people no human rights I have no words. They won’t talk to you specially if English.
Date VisitJune 2020

"airport seemed clean, and well organised"

Trip Verified | We went skiing in Borovets and flew in and out of Sofia airport. The airport seemed clean, and well organised. The duty free shopping was quite expensive (buy before if you can). My main problem was the lack of variety of food outlets within departures. It appears that 'Sky Restaurants' have the monopoly on the food in there. Little to no variety unless you like pizza or sandwiches. Overpriced, and poor quality. Staff were rude and appeared bored at the larger restaurant version, but one of the smaller outlets the staff were fine. Sofia Airport - why have you just let one company have four different premises? We heard one guy who was vegan come in for something to eat, but there was nothing suitable on the menu. They advised, he tried one of the duty free shops. Eat beforehand, your money is better spent elsewhere.
Date VisitFebruary 2020