Orlando Airport

Orlando Airport customer review

This is a tale of 2 airports. For travel within the US overall I have found it reasonable. However for international travellers it is a real pain in terms of getting from the aircraft to the terminal exit door. Having passed through immigration you collect your bags from the carousel then go through customs. Having negotiated that bit unless you are able to carry all of your bags up the escalator you then place them on a conveyor before making your way to the ghost train over to the main terminal building. At this point you hope your bags arrive for a second time. Inevitably they do not come off together resulting in more frayed nerves. Hopefully they all arrive and you are free to go. Why do they not build an international terminal where the bags only need to be collected once rather than have this hugely inefficient method.

Orlando Airport customer review

I echo Mr Brigance's review. A very pretty airport but going through security is the worst layout ever. The worst design the longest delays. For some reason this was designed so that - rather than each airline having its own security lines or 3 or 4 or 5 airlines sharing one security area MCO is set up so that all airlines all flights share two security areas. Last week on a slow midday afternoon in September I waited 20 minutes just to get to the agent who checked my boarding pass. It was another half hour to get through actual security from there! Seventy gates of passengers were funnelled into 7 lines. Made the NYC subway at rush hour seem like a Disney ride. They desperately need to redesign the security arrangement. I hope smaller airports like Melbourne will grow and become affordable alternatives because I would do almost anything to avoid flying out of Orlando. Coming in no problem but passing through their awful security system - arguably the worst in the US and maybe the world - is just not worth it anymore.

(Morocco)

Probably my favorite airport to travel through. Staff are helpful and the terminals are always clean. The gates are very well indicated. Orlando MCO also has a wide variety of shops and restaurants. My favorite part of the airport is probably the main building with the large fountain in the middle. The monorails are also a nice touch. I have never had an issue with bags and my flights are always on time. I have travelled with this airport many times and I recommend it.

Orlando Airport customer review

Lots of gates lots of people and they all funnel from two supposedly separate terminals into one security zone. Most cumbersome and time-consuming airport I have ever experienced in 5+ millions miles of travelling. TSA folks not the problem. Delta not the problem. Basic design terrible - just compare Tampa for example where you ride the trains to separate gates and then go through security. I will never fly to Orlando again no matter how circuitous my routing has to be in order to avoid it. Also rudest airline employees I have ever seen. As I was about to enter security scan 6 employees pushed in front of me saying "employees go first." After 45 mins in line I had to wait an additional 30 mins for this intrusion as 4 had to be hand-searched. That also was a first for this fairly experienced traveller. Never again.

Orlando Airport customer review

I do not know if the fact that we landed in the middle of the afternoon helped but immigration was fast (for American airport standards) and it was very easy to find the car rental desk. Overall clean place and organized.

Orlando Airport customer review

We flew to Manchester from Orlando International. When we tried to reach our gate lines for security were 4 to 5 wide then merged very slowly into 1 line. People that choose either of the outer lines appeared to jump into the middle of the line as it merged. All in all the simple bag and clothing checks were over 1 hour on the day we flew. The whole process was a disaster we could see that Homeland Security people were trying their best but appeared overwhelmed by the situation. Other aspects of the airport are fine road access check-in facilities for eating etc.

Orlando Airport customer review

This is an airport I use a lot and I despise the place. Arriving on a domestic flight into Orlando the experience is pleasant enough but the airport does a dreadful job of catering for international passengers. I now prefer to travel via better airports in the USA where immigration and customs is less time-consuming. On my most recent flight just 10 days ago immigration would not allow our Virgin Atlantic 747 flight to disembark passengers due to excessive queues. We were told to remain on the aircraft for 30 mins. After disembarking we stood in a slow-moving line in immigration for 90 mins before being seen. Definitely not an airport I would recommend. For a speedier immigration and customs experience when arriving from overseas look at travelling indirect and clearing both at some of the country's better airports - New York JFK and Boston Logan in particular were both very efficient.

Orlando Airport customer review

Orlando International is very similar in layout to Tampa in that it has a landside terminal with several airsides that are connected by overhead trams with one exception: whereas in Tampa security is on the airside after exiting the trams in Orlando it is landside before boarding. Still open lines were ample and even color coded for beginners intermediates and experts. I was in the expert line and cleared security in under 10 minutes. The main terminal is stocked with shops restaurants and even a Hyatt hotel. On the airside there was a Burger King Nathan's Hot Dogs Outback Steakhouse Starbucks a deli and a couple of snack bars however there was not adequate seating at the restaurants themselves. There are coffee tables and chairs in the center atrium of the airside however they are all bolted to the floor. So if you plan to eat before you fly I would advise arriving at the airport early enough to check out the dining options pre-security. I noticed restrooms were inadequate particularly when multiple flights were arriving and they were rather dirty. When arriving at MCO remember that baggage claim is on level 2 and ground transportation (rental car & Disney shuttles and taxis) are on level 1. Long term parking at the airport can be paid by Sunpass however it is expensive. There is ample off-airport parking nearby for as little as $4-5 a day so shop around. Just allow an extra 30-45 minutes depending on distance.

Orlando Airport customer review

Nice clean well organised. The monorail is amazing and tells you that you have come in the attraction parcs world. I found the airport well organised for both arrival and departures. No queue for me at my checkin only 5 minutes before security. Some restaurants are also available after security the airport provide free wifi. As for arrival and for departure the organisation is lovely if you have for example to rent a car after collecting back your luggage all car rentals are located one floor under and then you just have to get out of the airport a 3 minutes walk and you are at your car.

Orlando Airport customer review

This airport has really been improved in recent years. Immigration now seems quicker and certainly more well mannered than most US customs halls they almost seem pleased to see you. Transfer by the monorail is quick clean and comfortable however you still need to drag your luggage up an escalator for the final third of the journey. If you are not prepared to haul it up they will transfer it for you but they take an eternity to get it up in the arrivals hall. Very clean airport with good facilities the car hire is the easiest you could hope for Alamo Thrifty Dollar etc providing they are not too busy. Your car is waiting in the car park just yards away and when you return the vehicle you just leave it in the short term parking - no need for shuttle buses. A hundred yards one lift and you are in the terminal.