Melbourne Airport

"Melbourne Airport is terrible"

Not Verified | Melbourne Airport is built, staffed and maintained by the lowest bid contractor and it shows. The rumours are true. Melbourne Airport is terrible. Firstly, checking in is nothing but a free for all. The self check-in desks barely work and need just as many staff to help people as would a traditional check-in counter. However, only half of that amount of staff are working. Secondly, the security staff are rude and have a chip on their shoulders. I witnessed one security staff picking a fight at the x-ray machine. He kept badgering a young lady while she only replied "I'm not arguing with you. I'm not arguing with you." I would of complained myself but I was afraid they might force me to miss my flight in petty revenge. Thirdly, the gates are devoid of information. I'm currently sitting at gate 11 and there is no sign or board telling me the flight that I'm waiting for. There are endless people wondering around looking for any sign they are in the right place. Everything in the airport has been "automated" but none of it works properly. Even the "Tell Us Your Experience" touch screen is old, slow and unintuitive. Easily the worst airport I've been to in the past 10 years.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"At 7am who needs loud music"

Not Verified | Probably one of the most expensive airports to eat/drink at. $A4 for water (US$3, E3), $A4.50 for black coffee ($US4, E4) toasted sandwich $A12 (US8, E8), Vietnamese roll $A3.70 ($US 3, E3). So we sat down in a quiet area and five minutes later a music video above us came on. At 7am who needs loud music.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"extraordinarily expensive"

Trip Verified | I am constantly amazed at how poor the experience is at Tullamarine (Melbourne Airport). On my departure, escalators were not working, ticket scanners to departures took several scans, building work hampers simple movement. Even Brunetti was dirty. Then on arrival, bags took ages to arrive; although only one flight had arrived, the queue through baggage was long; passage out of the terminal was even more cramped than a week earlier; outside arrivals is depressing with construction there as well, and, to top it off, no Skybus ticketing machines or staff working. It is also noted at how extraordinarily expensive it is to buy the basics. $4 for a bottle of water!

"total lack of signage"

Trip Verified | I am appalled about the total lack of signage where to go to the Virgin departure bag check-in area. There was no signage as to where to go neither upstairs nor downstairs. There was none outside where there were signs everywhere for Jetstar but not for Virgin. Why? I heard that the Melbourne Airport management was at fault? Have that management team been paid off or something, to sabotage Virgin and their passengers? I have one message for the Melbourne Airport management team, stop this and give us Virgin travelers better signage!

"Consistency please"

Trip Verified | Consistency please. If you go through Qantas domestic you keep your iPad in your carry on - I was laughed at by staff by bringing it out on the last trip. Going through Virgin domestic, I was told off for not taking it out. It should be the same for all domestic terminals. Trying to find somewhere to have breakfast was a challenge. So much is under renovation with the few meagre cafes/restaurants mostly closed. Maccas at least was open. There are some coffee bars. However, some people oddly may wish for actual food which is becoming harder to find here, especially hot meals. If you need to go from Virgin to another terminal like international or Qantas it’s a mess as they have blocked off footpath access. This airport is really not functioning for passengers comfort or convenience, yet we passengers are the reason it is here.

"very bitter experience"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | I was travelling To Nairobi from Melbourne airport. On arrival at international departures, parking in the short term costs upwards of $24 for a car. After the walk to terminal buildings thru the half barricaded walkways (construction works ongoing), I needed to use the restroom. Sad to say, there is only 1 toilet in the whole departure terminal! After check-in, I waited for a wheelchair and attendant to take me thru (I have a medical condition whereby my legs swell due to walking). The attendant arrived with a wheelchair and asked to me sit on it and put my 2 x carry on baggage on my lap! I showed him my swollen feet and told him it was not possible to do so as it would be very painful if I put weight on them. He said there was no other way, and I have to take the bags on my lap. My son, who was seeing me off, volunteered to push my bags thru, but of course, wasn't allowed. The looks I was getting from the gentleman was humiliating and very stern - safety reasons meant he could not push my trolley bags and wheelchair, but it did not matter if I hurt myself more by placing the bags on my lap! I requested the check-in staff, and they said I should talk to the service desk, and get help. After an eternity, a very busy sounding lady came and rushed me thru to my boarding gate, not listening to my plea to be dropped off at the airport lounge, as my flight was 2 hours to time. I had a very bitter experience and wish to never again set foot here again.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"great source of annoyance"

Not Verified | Always a poor experience and embarrassed for the tourists that come here. I fly once a year and always come via Singapore where the airport experience is top notch. Getting through immigration and collecting baggage at Singapore is sometimes less than 1/2 hour experience but at Melbourne, this can take over an hour. There are not enough customs officers on duty to cater for a large amount of flights coming in at the same time, the baggage can take at least 40 minutes and the toilets are very poor. The other issue is the regional bus stop is way down past Terminal 4 and couldn't be further away from International Arrivals if it tried. Because of the slowness of getting through immigration, baggage pick-up and then customs and then a 10-minute walk to the bus, many a time I have missed the bus. After a long flight and missing the bus and having to wait for another is a great source of annoyance.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"A pleasant enough airport"

Not Verified | A pleasant enough airport. Not as flash as Sydney but nice enough. Would be good if it had seats to lie on or perhaps beds to hire. I managed to find one long seat down a corridor to try to sleep on. Overall not the worst airport I've been to.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"airport management simply don’t care"

Not Verified | On 15 Oct 2019 going through security at T4 at about 5am, there was the usual rush hour passengers. T4 has a new tech security system that, in my view has made going through security a really bad experience. No issues with the extra security measures - I’m all for it. However, airport management need to understand that you cannot superimpose a brand new system over the old infrastructure. The process is much slower so there is a need to extend the belts and and have at least a couple more active. As a regular traveller, I feel that airport management simply don’t care about passenger convenience and comfort and view airport improvements from an internal perspective only. It is also apparent that security staff are quite frustrated and it shows. The usual politeness is gone and it reminds me of how the TSA operate in the US. Like farmers herding cattle.

dated gloominess

Trip Verified | Melbourne airport departure is better than arrival however they have shut a lot of places now to eat at and the choices are extremely limited especially at and around terminal 2. I believe though a few will be opening there sooner or later. The security area is very rushed and stressful. I have everything prepared but even still, you feel pushed to do everything at top speed. Body scanning is now for all. However, those staffing the area were at least cheerful. There are a few places to eat airside and innumerable upmarket stores plus some newsagents and places you can buy snacks and water. Arriving you walk quite a way. There needs to be more information and the self serve booths you need to access (the first few are always busy. However there are more down the passageway). These printed slips are used for the e-gates. My issue is you are supposed to look at the camera but you need to keep looking down too to see if the little barrier has opened. The duty-free shop takes up way too much space at the sacrifice of the real purpose of the airport - to get people in and out efficiently. The baggage carousels have a lip on them and are steep (I wish they were designed like Singapore’s) and luggage is slow. Then you meet someone who is slowly making their way through the long line asking questions. And my final gripe is that why oh why are there only 1-2 agents at customs to process hundreds of people, it caused such a back log of tired weary passengers whose lines go around to and impede the baggage carousels. This is undoubtedly the worst airport in Australia in looks and efficiency. All passengers I am sure are relieved to leave it’s dated gloominess.
Date VisitSeptember 2019