Melbourne Airport

"do not follow Priority bags protocol"

Not Verified | Our family and I flew in from Bangkok via Thai Airways arriving Melbourne Airport T2 on last Friday 21 May night. We travelled in Business Class with Priority Baggage handling with Priority tags attached to the luggage's baggage tags. However, we waited 30 minutes for our bags at the baggage claim area after the first non-priority bag was delivered to the baggage claim belt. Our bags were among the last few ones coming from the belts, almost after all Economy non-Priority bags were delivered. During my observation, I could not see many 'Priority bags' appearing in the baggage claim. The Business Class was full. Our friends travelled from Dubai via Emirates arriving Melbourne T2 on Sunday morning on 23 May. Their bags also had Priority treatment but also experienced the 'delayed' treatment by the baggage handlers. Their ones were also among those last few bags coming out after most of the Economy's non-Priority ones. I do not believe these are isolated events. This happened to me in December 2023 as well. It appears that either the baggage handlers do not follow 'Priority bags' protocol or they deliberately mistreated the 'Priority bags'. It took me 25 minutes from the plane landing to receive my bags in Paris CDG a week before and about the same time in Istanbul Airport last year. Even at Heathrow London 3 weeks ago, it took me less than 35 minutes to get my bags from landing time. Last Friday, it took over 1 hour to get my bags since plane landing time. However, Melbourne Airport's baggage services is far below the world's standard. I have not even compared this with airports in Singapore or Hong Kong, which are among the most efficient ones in the world. I tried to use the Airport's online complaint form to submit a complaint, but the form does not submit and does not work!
Date VisitMay 2024

"terminal is so congested"

Not Verified | Melbourne International arrivals hall is very poorly designed and chaotic. It is a disgrace that this terminal is so congested, poorly signposted and lacking any natural daylight. All the immigration and customs staff should be re-trained in order to provide a more friendly and streamlined service to all arriving passengers. The very long delays and queues at this terminal are unacceptable and create an unfavourable impression, in particular for international travellers who are visiting Melbourne for events.
Date VisitMay 2024

"very poorly organised"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | The airport is very poorly organised. I was transferring from international flight to domestic flight by Qantas and there was absolutely no signage or directions of which terminal should I be going. Despite from long waiting time of my luggage, I have tried to reach out help from the T1 terminal staff and Qantas staff because of the limited transit time. However, they are not helpful. I have talked to them about my situation and my luggage could not be checked in because of the machine issue. The self check in staff referred me to the economy queue staff and then to the special assistance staff after a long queue. My domestic flight was missed.
Date VisitMarch 2024

“Poorly organized and poorly managed”

Trip Verified | Arrived from Thailand this morning. Airport was busy however arrival border force staff rude and the bags took 40 to arrive and that was after the delay to clear passport control. Melbourne airport is getting worse with every trip I make to Australia and arrrivals and baggage process is the worst I have experienced anywhere in the world. Poorly organized and poorly managed.
Date VisitFebruary 2024

"luggage retrieval with a 45 mins wait"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | All great until luggage retrieval with a 45 mins wait and luggage carousel area is so cramped. Feels like a third world airport. Airport staff were pretty helpful though.
Date VisitFebruary 2024

"the worst boarding process"

Trip Verified | Flying out on Qantas from Melbourne to Auckland. Using a shared gate (11b). Flight is late leaving, no explanation. Other flights also leaving from the same gate. No electronic board showing flights at gate, no PA system, and the gate staff (1 person) does not have a microphone or PA system. This is the worst boarding process I’ve seen in a long time.
Date VisitJanuary 2024

"A total disgusting experience"

Trip Verified | I boarded my flight in Bangkok and received an excellent service and was flying Business class. On arrival back to Melbourne our plane was told to stop miles away on the tarmac, we did not go to a Gate. We had to board a Bus that took 15 minutes to get to the Building, I could not scan My passport as scanner did not work told to queue at Passport Control. I then could not see the Priority pass queue as nothing was marked. I asked and told to follow a queue of thousands of people collecting suitcases. I only had Hand Luggage. The queues were extremely long and extremely slow. Eventually after queuing I saw 3 Border security Guys and asked where should I be going for Priority and was told to go round again to go there. These staff members are very rude. I decided to go under the cordons and go round and eventually got there. A total disgusting experience and a total disgrace. What an embarrassment for Melbourne.
Date VisitJanuary 2024

“place feels like a 1990’s bus terminal”

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Melbourne airport just continues to feel more and more tired even though they keep making changes and renovations. The low ceilings, cramped and cluttered spaces makes the place feel like a 1990’s bus terminal. It’s disappointing as an airport should make a great first and last impression of a city. Melbourne airport is just a barely bearable experience that you just need to endure and get through as fast as possible. Really wish they would rebuild and replace the terminal.

“Disappointing and disgusting”

Not Verified | I was departing to Singapore on 28 December. I had approached the counter staff where it says customer service, as my mum was on a wheelchair and needed 1 staff to push her in. Apparently, the airport does not allow family members to push anyone on wheelchair. The Woman there, was so damn rude. Totally ignored me whilst I was infront of her and was engaging in conversations with various staff. The amazing part was that the people who were talking to her 1 by 1 were also ignoring me, instead of attending me. The best part was that they were engaging in private conversations. I said excuse me and she rudely told me to wait. After 5 minutes, she acknowledges me and was rude when I told her my mum needs to eat coz she's diabetic. She was like if you chose to go then your mum can walk all the way to the plane. What kind of person says that? No empathy? If you wish to employ such staff in an international airport, please sack them as they lack empathy and have no proper training to be customer service staff. Just go home and engage in private conversations. Makes travellers look down on Melbourne with such staff. Disappointing and disgusting.
Date VisitDecember 2023

"absolutely ridiculous"

Not Verified | Recently travelled overseas to South Korea and Japan and returned home to Melbourne last Saturday. Not sure if the people running Melbourne Airport know what they're doing - we had to wait over an hour to get through Melbourne Airport security, passport control, absolutely ridiculous. Complete contrast to my experience at Seoul and Tokyo airports where even as Australian citizens, we had no problems getting through their airports quickly and efficiently. I suggest the executives at Melbourne Airport need to go overseas to experience and learn how to run an an airport efficiently.
Date VisitNovember 2023