Melbourne Airport

"Consistency please"

Trip Verified | Consistency please. If you go through Qantas domestic you keep your iPad in your carry on - I was laughed at by staff by bringing it out on the last trip. Going through Virgin domestic, I was told off for not taking it out. It should be the same for all domestic terminals. Trying to find somewhere to have breakfast was a challenge. So much is under renovation with the few meagre cafes/restaurants mostly closed. Maccas at least was open. There are some coffee bars. However, some people oddly may wish for actual food which is becoming harder to find here, especially hot meals. If you need to go from Virgin to another terminal like international or Qantas it’s a mess as they have blocked off footpath access. This airport is really not functioning for passengers comfort or convenience, yet we passengers are the reason it is here.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"very bitter experience"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | I was travelling To Nairobi from Melbourne airport. On arrival at international departures, parking in the short term costs upwards of $24 for a car. After the walk to terminal buildings thru the half barricaded walkways (construction works ongoing), I needed to use the restroom. Sad to say, there is only 1 toilet in the whole departure terminal! After check-in, I waited for a wheelchair and attendant to take me thru (I have a medical condition whereby my legs swell due to walking). The attendant arrived with a wheelchair and asked to me sit on it and put my 2 x carry on baggage on my lap! I showed him my swollen feet and told him it was not possible to do so as it would be very painful if I put weight on them. He said there was no other way, and I have to take the bags on my lap. My son, who was seeing me off, volunteered to push my bags thru, but of course, wasn't allowed. The looks I was getting from the gentleman was humiliating and very stern - safety reasons meant he could not push my trolley bags and wheelchair, but it did not matter if I hurt myself more by placing the bags on my lap! I requested the check-in staff, and they said I should talk to the service desk, and get help. After an eternity, a very busy sounding lady came and rushed me thru to my boarding gate, not listening to my plea to be dropped off at the airport lounge, as my flight was 2 hours to time. I had a very bitter experience and wish to never again set foot here again.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"great source of annoyance"

Not Verified | Always a poor experience and embarrassed for the tourists that come here. I fly once a year and always come via Singapore where the airport experience is top notch. Getting through immigration and collecting baggage at Singapore is sometimes less than 1/2 hour experience but at Melbourne, this can take over an hour. There are not enough customs officers on duty to cater for a large amount of flights coming in at the same time, the baggage can take at least 40 minutes and the toilets are very poor. The other issue is the regional bus stop is way down past Terminal 4 and couldn't be further away from International Arrivals if it tried. Because of the slowness of getting through immigration, baggage pick-up and then customs and then a 10-minute walk to the bus, many a time I have missed the bus. After a long flight and missing the bus and having to wait for another is a great source of annoyance.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"A pleasant enough airport"

Not Verified | A pleasant enough airport. Not as flash as Sydney but nice enough. Would be good if it had seats to lie on or perhaps beds to hire. I managed to find one long seat down a corridor to try to sleep on. Overall not the worst airport I've been to.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"airport management simply don’t care"

Not Verified | On 15 Oct 2019 going through security at T4 at about 5am, there was the usual rush hour passengers. T4 has a new tech security system that, in my view has made going through security a really bad experience. No issues with the extra security measures - I’m all for it. However, airport management need to understand that you cannot superimpose a brand new system over the old infrastructure. The process is much slower so there is a need to extend the belts and and have at least a couple more active. As a regular traveller, I feel that airport management simply don’t care about passenger convenience and comfort and view airport improvements from an internal perspective only. It is also apparent that security staff are quite frustrated and it shows. The usual politeness is gone and it reminds me of how the TSA operate in the US. Like farmers herding cattle.

dated gloominess

Trip Verified | Melbourne airport departure is better than arrival however they have shut a lot of places now to eat at and the choices are extremely limited especially at and around terminal 2. I believe though a few will be opening there sooner or later. The security area is very rushed and stressful. I have everything prepared but even still, you feel pushed to do everything at top speed. Body scanning is now for all. However, those staffing the area were at least cheerful. There are a few places to eat airside and innumerable upmarket stores plus some newsagents and places you can buy snacks and water. Arriving you walk quite a way. There needs to be more information and the self serve booths you need to access (the first few are always busy. However there are more down the passageway). These printed slips are used for the e-gates. My issue is you are supposed to look at the camera but you need to keep looking down too to see if the little barrier has opened. The duty-free shop takes up way too much space at the sacrifice of the real purpose of the airport - to get people in and out efficiently. The baggage carousels have a lip on them and are steep (I wish they were designed like Singapore’s) and luggage is slow. Then you meet someone who is slowly making their way through the long line asking questions. And my final gripe is that why oh why are there only 1-2 agents at customs to process hundreds of people, it caused such a back log of tired weary passengers whose lines go around to and impede the baggage carousels. This is undoubtedly the worst airport in Australia in looks and efficiency. All passengers I am sure are relieved to leave it’s dated gloominess.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"a circus run by clowns in uniform"

Not Verified | I quite like the airport but the customs area is a national joke. How hard could it be for Border Force to check on departures and staff accordingly? Baggage scans are a circus run by clowns in uniform. Moron number one is the clown who put 2 other passengers laptops on top of mine while it was out of my sight, the two innocent passengers grabbed the tray with their laptops in it and took it away to the end of the conveyor while I stood and waited for my tray that originally only had my laptop in it. Thanks to the honest passengers who left my laptop behind but it took me 10 minutes to find it. Customs staff need to get a brain and more training and maybe a few more staff. Not even Indonesia is as bad as Melbourne.

"stressful experience"

(Saudi Arabia)

Not Verified | Arriving on Etihad EY460 it was noted it seemed the arrival hall immigration would be quick as the other Middle Eastern airlines had yet to land which are usually A380’s. Sadly for us we had cops waiting for us at the gate and were not allowed to disembark for 1h. There were two sick babies on the plane so quarantine services also had to come onboard to check so by the time we disembarked these other A380’s had planned and the immigration was very crowded and rather than use the e-gates which people were queuing up to use! Just found it quicker to go through manual immigration. This duty-free area before the immigration area must go as it hampers passengers getting to the immigration area when these flights all come in at the same time and have to fight there away through this unnecessary duty-free area which adds delays and inefficient process of passengers. Passengers want to arrive and get out of the airport quickly not get held up with obstructions like this! Very poor planning by Melbourne Airport authorities. Baggage Hall as you can imagine was heaving with passengers and the buildings air conditioning was not up to cooling the area so felt terribly stuffy. I had no check-in baggage so I was through customs pretty quickly but it’s a stressful experience when 4 flights with large amounts of passengers all land at the same time. This airport needs to be expanded to cope with the amount of passengers arriving.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"toilets are woefully small"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | The arrival lanes inexplicably pass through a duty free store and to avoid it, there is a massive queue. The duty free attendants are the surliest women on the face of the earth, and the immigration and customs people weren't much friendlier. The toilets are woefully small to handle a planeload of people after a long haul flight and the tiles are cracked and urinals overflowing. Disgusting. The ceilings are low and claustrophobic and dark. The exit is poorly signed and the exit line snakes around the carousels which appear to be arranged randomly and not in any logical order, so to find the end of the line to exit, you have to hunt around mysterious corners of the underbelly of the dark building to join the queue. Once at the front of the queue, you hand your pointless piece of card to the bored official and get barked at to move along.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Awful every single time"

NotVerified | Awful every single time. Terrible lack of toilets, of those few, at least half are always closed for cleaning or repair, and the rest are generally filthy or broken. Layout and design is dated. Lack of good restaurants. Lack of non-junk non-luxury retailers. Easily the worst major airport in Australia.
Date VisitAugust 2019