Melbourne Airport

"very rude staff"

Trip Verified | Terrible and very rude staff. Never heard anything back from them when requesting wheelchairs. They told my grandfather (who is 74) that he doesn’t look like he’s 75 to turn around and take his shoes off. As they were mumbling rude directions to us we could not hear them which lead to them being more rude and belittling to us. The overall staff was extremely unprofessional and unfit for their positions.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"inappropriate and rude service"

Trip Verified | We experienced inappropriate and rude service by young border security officer and his supervisor. This was at the domestic departure security screening. We also witnessed, at the same time, a separate officer who verbally abused a special needs customer for not understanding the new body scan system. Supervisor was unhelpful and arrogant.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"bag wrapping wasn't open"

Not Verified | I know this is a grey area as what can be done but I arrived at the airport at 4 am for an early flight and I always like to make sure my security is 100%. I was unable to get my suitcase wrapped in plastic. An A380 was flying to Dubai and they carry hundreds of passengers. Ridiculous that the bag wrapping wasn't open for passengers to use. About time the airport looked at this issue.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"area felt like a mad rush"

Not Verified | Flew out on December 16 to Manila. Was told to place my belongings in plastic trays which I did. The area felt like a mad rush with officials raising their voices thinking we don't have a clue. Then after picking up my belongings I forgot to pick up my passport and boarding pass after all the stress I endured. Even at Manila airport and HCMC airport there was no stress like Melbourne. Wanted to buy some gin for my Mum. As I was carrying a backpack assistance would be appreciated but no staff member wanted to help me. Had to ask for help, then the assistant only pointed me to the general area. Had to ask another lady if she could help me. Do they seriously think that I can pick up 3 bottles while carrying a backpack and juggling a passport and wallet?
Date VisitDecember 2019

"not enough staff to process baggage check in"

Not Verified | The Jetstar baggage handling system once again (always has issues) was useless, and not enough staff to process baggage check in. When done (after an hour wait) the bag did not arrive at the destination. The rush to catch the flight resulted in the female security staff (there were 3 of them) at the scanning point finding it some what comical that a 65 year old grandfather was having difficulty holding a 6 month old baby whilst trying to remove the belt off his shorts and keeping his shorts on. The bag by the way was lost in transit with all the feeding equipment for two 6 month old babies, may be the security staff should have used AK45's to resolve the situation.

"money-grabbing operation"

Not Verified | The most disorganised and disgusting experience I've ever had in my life! Nearly everything automated, yet barely anything working properly - if at all! Almost impossible to find where you need to go, and once you finally do get there, there is no one to help you through the crippled system. I challenge anyone to get their bags through the check-in machines the first time. That is if you manage to find one that works after waiting in barely moving lines for an eternity! An absolute cattle shed! Totally embarrassed to call myself a Melbournian. Shame on everyone involved in redesigning the departure process into the absolute disgraceful dysfunctional mess it now is! Bring back the good old airport from the 70/80's where it was a fun family experience seeing people off and waving at the planes from the outside observation deck. What a disgusting money-grabbing operation it has become! And that's the good part! The car park building is really just a multistory money printing machine for them. I don't even know where to begin to describe the endless ways they've altered nearly every level in order to fill their pockets!

"disinterested staff"

Trip Verified | I agree with other reviewers that it is a pain to go between terminals. I also was amazed at the disinterested staff at the eateries. Not a smile, difficult to get the order correct at Muffin Break and change given in coin so a torn and sticky taped note could be included, the worker had a dirty apron on. Worst coffee ever at Hudson’s. I don’t even think there was any coffee in the milk!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"air conditioning was non existent"

Not Verified | Today is Dec 20th 2019. I travel globally and represent thousands of travelers from some of the largest global corporations in the world. I passed through Terminal D in the Melbourne airport today. The air conditioning was non existent and the temperature inside the terminal was nearly 100F. Travelers and vendors with whom I spoke said it is hot like that most of the time. I suggest this be corrected immediately before global companies boycott Melbourne airport altogether and vendors pull their workers out as many are considering. I personally cannot recommend traveling through the Melbourne airport. This would be a devastating blow to Melborne’s Strained economy.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"like an overcrowded public market"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | What a shock one gets when you exit into the arrivals Hall! It’s like entering a third world airport as with so called ongoing construction the place is like an overcrowded public market. There no space so passengers & greeters are packed in like sardines & what’s worse no air conditioning so it’s a sauna especially when temps now exceed 30degs! What were Airport authorities thinking when undertaking thus when Christmas is a very busy time of year for travelers! It’s a total disgrace.. with many areas boarded up nothing is sign posted on where you have To Go! It’s just a third world airport & one of chaos right now & nothing is organized.. avoid arrivals if you can right now as when several flights land you run a gauntlet of overcrowding everywhere .... it’s a pickpockets haven right now in the arrival halls area with so many people crammed together moving very slowly...

"airport on the improve"

Not Verified | I rate this airport highly, especially compared to ten years ago when this airport was not so customer focused. Customs were very efficient without being over the top and staff were clear on the process, this was the same on the way back in, also observed a few of the customs people assisting customers, rather than just pushing them through and hoping for the best. I find this airport on the improve every time I travel
Date VisitNovember 2019