Melbourne Airport

"a mass of unhappy frustrated passengers"

Not Verified | Awful arrivals experience - probably the worst airport in the world for international arrivals. Poorly designed building and an attempt to use automatic photo booth gates that don’t work, take too long and aren’t enough of, just led to a mass of unhappy frustrated passengers and nobody from security or Melb airport to help. Truly embarrassing - and I say that as a resident of Melbourne.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"The worst possible airport"

Not Verified | The worst possible airport in the world, after traveling around the world. They have got truckloads of quarantine rules with the lowest possible staff count. It takes 1 hr to clear customs and then another 1 hr to go out. Seriously? No one would even bother to visit Melbourne in few years time.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"all of a disappointing standard"

Trip Verified | The airport operations were as smooth as we needed them to be as domestic arrivees and international departees on Virgin Australia flights. We consider that the refreshment establishments by the domestic gates after security are all of a disappointing standard. The range of refreshments is restricted, the premises are not inviting, and the prices are high. However the charging points in each departure areas are a good and positive facility. Based on observation the paid-for massage chairs can be removed as inevitably they are occupied by travellers who have no intention to use them on a paid basis. Our treatment in the International security area has resulted in me making a formal complaint. Whilst making our way through my wife and I found our way blocked: me by a male and she by a female each in uniform. They gesticulated us out of the main thoroughfare and through taped barriers they removed. There were no notices explaining what was happening, nor did the two explain anything to us or to the others similarly treated. In the area we were all told to open our bags. I used the only spare shelf area only to be ordered to move it to another shelf. The male officer then advised us he was going to make an explosives check. Without any explanation of what that would entail we were then "shooed" away from our bags as though we were children. The official then took an analysis swab over the bags and each of the travellers having made us stand with our arms out - again commanding compliance rather than requesting it. The same happened to my wife and the travellers with her in a separate pen. Whilst following the female official's instructions to "stand back" my wife accidentally stood on her foot which appeared to be taken as a deliberate act. Without any other explanation we were advised that the swab was clear and we were left to zip up our bags and leave. The male officer wished our group "a good day" but neither he nor the female officer expressed any thanks or apologies for our treatment. My wife was distressed by her treatment and I was shocked. I stood aside from the passers-by in the main thoroughfare to wait for her and the female official ordered me aggressively to move away. I explained I was going to wait for my wife. Having called out her order a couple of times, although I was causing no obstruction, she came over and pushed me roughly by the shoulder telling me to move away. I told her I was going to wait for my wife and that she was well out of order in physically pushing me. She then denied pushing me! Finally, apart for the very crass, aggressive and unprofessional actions of the two officials I wish to highlight that they put the same swab all the people and bags in each pen. If the swab had registered as positive then not only would they not know who or what was responsible but it seems highly unlikely that they would handle the situation in anything other than an aggressive and coercive manner. For all these reasons those two officials need to be identified, sanctioned, and properly trained for their roles and removed from public duty until that has been satisfactorily completed.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"my experience was great"

(Israel)

Not Verified | Was a little worried before travelling to MEL after reading reviews. But my experience was great. Landed on international flight at 6.50am and by 7.30 was on bus to Melbourne. Baggage and customs went fairly easy. The one issue I saw is with immigration and the self-service kiosks. Reviewers say that there is no one to ask questions to is fairly true and lines are long waiting to swipe your passport, but everything does move pretty quickly. On the way out for a domestic flight via Virgin's Terminal. Everything was very quick for checking in and passing by security. It's a domestic terminal, so no frills.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Security staff seemed oblivious"

Trip Verified | Departed Melbourne International Airport on February 19th. Since my last trip (last year) they have installed new automated carry-on baggage security screening facilities. Conveyor system as per normal although it starts moving from the point at which you place the bags on the conveyor. However the glitch is that the baskets are automatically conveyed back and pop-out at a number of exit points for re-use, which sounds fine in theory, but passengers in the single file queue are expected/ushered to take these baskets with about 4 persons at any time trying to put their basket(s) onto the conveyor. Those closer to the scanner unit have difficulty getting their baskets (and they are very large now) onto the conveyor because upstream other passengers are getting theirs on first and there is no space for those further downstream to find sufficient space. Only thing people could do was physically force baskets back as the conveyor was moving to create enough space to get theirs on. Security staff seemed oblivious or overwhelmed. It was a total shambles. The old system with a single queue of passengers loading their baskets as their turn came worked far better. And to make matters worse the airport was not that busy when I was there, the mind fair boggles to think what it would be like when it is busy. Did they ever test the basket loading aspect when commissioning the new units under "real-life" conditions. What would have taken probably several minutes or so using the old system is now taking multiples of this. Hope you are not rushing for your flight!
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"airport was designed by an idiot"

Not Verified | Terminal 3 is I think the worst airport terminal I've been to. There is one toilet for the whole terminal so there is a queue and it is dirty. There is one Cafe which is hugely overpriced, $14for a sandwich. I also found out after security there is no information screen so you can't tell which gate the flight is leaving from if it changes, which mine did. You need to walk or each gate to read the screen. Honestly this airport was designed by an idiot that had no comprehension of what and airport needs to do. I can think of any airport I've ever been to that has worse facilities.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"security staff were shocking"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Airport a bit tired, but security staff were shocking. Everyone was queued up for half an hour, staff were walking up and down the queues yelling at everyone to remove belts and place passports in bags, and the girl we experienced loading belongings on trays was purely obnoxious. We have changed our mind about holidaying again in Australia due to this aggressive, unpleasant approach. It felt like we were in a movie about Auschwitz.

"more than disappointing"

Not Verified | This Airport is more than disappointing! The staff are unfriendly, we’ve been snapped at several times! Unbelievable! It’s not well organised at all - it’s chaotic! Horrible airport- I recommend not flying via Melbourne - all the other Aussie airports were really great!
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"facilities are below average"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | My family and I had the best holiday in Melbourne. Everyone we encountered during our holiday were extremely friendly and approachable until we got to the Melbourne airport to go back home. I went from “I never want to leave!” to “god get me out of here”. The facilities are below average, there aren’t enough seats to wait for your check-in counter, the food places are blah. The airport staff could definitely be nicer. I understand working at an airport is tough but it’s not that hard to at least be nice. The place definitely needs an update.

"abrupt and discourteous"

Trip Verified | This afternoon my wife and I arrived at Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport Terminal 1 (domestic). We had a most enjoyable stay in Melbourne where we found storekeepers, hotels staff and hospitality industry workers to be polite, knowledgeable and respectful. It was therefore a surprise to find that the staff at this airport were none of these things. I understand that at times, working in a fast paced environment can be trying, but if you can’t handle it get out and give somebody else who can handle it do the job. The security staff at terminal 1 domestic today were abrupt and discourteous and I am being kind with that description. I can only assume that the guy with the military style haircut and paunch has been unable to obtain a job in which he has any authority and chose this one because he got a uniform. If we had been in a schoolyard I would call him a bully, and the lady doing the explosives/drug screening was equally as rude. We have travelled far and wide in the world and even at Hanoi International airport, where airport staff wear military uniform and carry weapons, we have not come across such boorish behaviour. Get your act together, you represent my country and at the moment you are an embarrassment.