Melbourne Airport

"signage is terrible"

Not Verified | It's a flash Airport with many things to do or places to eat but signage is terrible. Getting off a domestic flight you had to walk a very long distance to the baggage claim and it had extremely poor signage. After finding the baggage claim there is no signage for the international departure, I had to guess that it was back upstairs somewhere. The immigration process was ok but of course being Australia they love to blast you with radiation on the way out in the body scanners. Departure terminal is also flash but for some dumb reason they have gate numbers separated and sprawled around the place, gate 7 is not next to gates 6, 8 and that is similar for other gates. Security staff are ok but the usual staunch unfriendly types. The place would be far better if they reviewed the signage, I did notice this in a similar vein in Australia with signage but it seems to me something that is important.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"the most inefficient and shambolic airport"

Trip Verified | Melbourne airport is the most inefficient and shambolic airport that I have ever experienced. Recently, we went to London and exited Heathrow within 10 minutes. On arrival back in Melbourne, we passed through passport scanning and were directed to a queue of several hundred people in order to lodge our arrival cards with the one person on duty. After about 30 to 40 minutes I queried this and was told that a few flights had arrived. Yes, that is to be expected at an airport. I am sure that this place would work most effectively if there were no flights in or out. When we finally got out of that queue we were directed to another one. The queues are disorganized, snaking backwards and forwards in over-crowded and apparently temporary conditions with no explanation as to why. It took 2 hours to escape this ridiculous shambles. This place is an international embarrassment and disgrace. The way that Australian citizens are being treated in their own country is also a disgrace.

"the worst in Australia"

(Bulgaria)

Not Verified | I've been through many airports and for me the Tullamarine Airport is the worst in Australia and one of the worst worldwide. It starts with arriving at T4 on Skybus one doesn't know where the intl. departures are as the sign is missing. You see signs for other airlines, other terminals, and domestic departures. If you're lucky to find the intl. departures area after the escalator for domestic departures, you'll find very few seats for waiting passengers. It's a really bad design as there are empty spaces where they could've put more seats. Instead they stay empty and thete us Flight Centre-it's all about profit and not passenger comfort. Food selection pre and post-security screening is limited and prohibitively expensive! Also, very few power outlets for device charging. No soap in the toilet. Overall, terrible airport in terms of design, comfort, food, prices, and amenities.

"security were disgusting"

Not Verified | Airport security were disgusting and treated me like I'm a criminal. I'm so upset,crying and beyond distraught. How dare they treat people with absolutely no empathy/ Staff need more training/
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Poor old Melbourne airport"

Trip Verified | Poor old Melbourne airport. The poster child of what happens when you privatise. Departure (from terminal 2, international was, as usual, crowded and chaotic. No wonder people leave straight for the gates as there is little to offer otherwise. However you soon realise that this airport is set up for the minority wealthy offering exclusive stores most mere mortals cannot afford except for the newsagents. At the gate there are vending machines and uncomfortable seating. Not the sort of place you want to spend a long time at. Returning luggage is always slow and made difficult as the carousel is steep making it hard to lift heavy bags over the “lip”. Not much thought for travelers here. Having been to all major city airports in Australia, Melbourne is deserving of the title of worst airport in Australia.

"very rude staff"

Trip Verified | Terrible and very rude staff. Never heard anything back from them when requesting wheelchairs. They told my grandfather (who is 74) that he doesn’t look like he’s 75 to turn around and take his shoes off. As they were mumbling rude directions to us we could not hear them which lead to them being more rude and belittling to us. The overall staff was extremely unprofessional and unfit for their positions.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"inappropriate and rude service"

Trip Verified | We experienced inappropriate and rude service by young border security officer and his supervisor. This was at the domestic departure security screening. We also witnessed, at the same time, a separate officer who verbally abused a special needs customer for not understanding the new body scan system. Supervisor was unhelpful and arrogant.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"bag wrapping wasn't open"

Not Verified | I know this is a grey area as what can be done but I arrived at the airport at 4 am for an early flight and I always like to make sure my security is 100%. I was unable to get my suitcase wrapped in plastic. An A380 was flying to Dubai and they carry hundreds of passengers. Ridiculous that the bag wrapping wasn't open for passengers to use. About time the airport looked at this issue.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"area felt like a mad rush"

Not Verified | Flew out on December 16 to Manila. Was told to place my belongings in plastic trays which I did. The area felt like a mad rush with officials raising their voices thinking we don't have a clue. Then after picking up my belongings I forgot to pick up my passport and boarding pass after all the stress I endured. Even at Manila airport and HCMC airport there was no stress like Melbourne. Wanted to buy some gin for my Mum. As I was carrying a backpack assistance would be appreciated but no staff member wanted to help me. Had to ask for help, then the assistant only pointed me to the general area. Had to ask another lady if she could help me. Do they seriously think that I can pick up 3 bottles while carrying a backpack and juggling a passport and wallet?
Date VisitDecember 2019

"not enough staff to process baggage check in"

Not Verified | The Jetstar baggage handling system once again (always has issues) was useless, and not enough staff to process baggage check in. When done (after an hour wait) the bag did not arrive at the destination. The rush to catch the flight resulted in the female security staff (there were 3 of them) at the scanning point finding it some what comical that a 65 year old grandfather was having difficulty holding a 6 month old baby whilst trying to remove the belt off his shorts and keeping his shorts on. The bag by the way was lost in transit with all the feeding equipment for two 6 month old babies, may be the security staff should have used AK45's to resolve the situation.