Manchester Airport

"overall experience not pleasant"

Not Verified | For an International Airport truly shocking. Long lines, rude security staff, delayed baggage and the overall experience not pleasant. T2 arrivals was the worst, lots of building work! I would avoid flying in and out of this airport if I had an option.
Date VisitMay 2022

"2 hours of queuing for security"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Worst airport ever. 2 hours of queuing for security. Rude staff that throw away all the small bottles of liquid that do not fit in a small bag and no control of passport. Totally wrong priorities at security level.
Date VisitMay 2022

"special mention for a member of staff"

Not Verified | I just wanted to do a special mention for a member of staff by the name of Melissa. She was by far the most helpful member of staff I have ever come across at an airport. Due to an issue with my diabetic medication and baggage I had to check in a bag and she took me to where I needed to go and stayed with me the whole time, keeping me calm. She was an absolute angel and there should be more like her. The rest of the staff at security were also very kind but Melissa stood out by a mile. I will be forever grateful to her.
Date VisitApril 2022

"the staff need to be re-trained"

(Qatar)

Not Verified | I'm surprised this airport is given 2/10! For me it's 0 in every category & they're lucky to get that! Dark, old, small and dirty terminals with no wifi and terribly demotivated, rude and unprofessional staff. Whether it's at the entrance, check-in, immigration, baggage handling or along the concourses, the staff need to be re-trained with immediate effect! They've been arrogant and uncooperative for years and it just isn't good enough! As a British person seeing how the staff treat/speak to visitors is quite frankly an embarrassment to the UK! Many of them get to visit England for the first time in their lives and they're met with patronising and sarcastic comments/attitudes. Disgraceful!
Date VisitApril 2022

"blatant rudeness of the staff at security"

Trip Verified | The jewel of the North it isn't, flew through T3 which has only just opened post COVID, having seen all the hype on the media about how awful queues where I left enough time to get to the airport and get through security. T3 is so old and outdated, very lacking in seating and options for eating, I had to perch on a bin to enjoy my boots meal deal, but what shocked me more than anything was the blatant rudeness of the staff at security, barking orders at passengers, what happened to northerners are friendly? I'll just take the train up next time it's not worth the hassle
Date VisitApril 2022

"Airport is riddled with well documented problems"

Not Verified | Would give 0 rating if allowed. Elderly parents and relative, all aged 70+ arrived at T2 on 25th April. 2 other flights landed either side of their flight. They had to wait over 2 hours due to no trolleys being available to transport luggage, all they required was 1 trolley. Flight landed at 14.30 whilst they met us at 16.45. To add insult to injury, was charged (robbed) £30 for a stay lasting 2 hours 4 minutes. Airport is riddled with well documented problems, heads must toll. Brand shiny new terminal but no trollies, lack of staff and humongous security and passport control queues. Bring your own trolley if arriving at Manchester airport. Or as I will be doing, boycotting travelling via Manchester airport until they sort this self inflicted problems and mess out.
Date VisitApril 2022

"airport seem to always blame staff shortages"

Not Verified | I arrived at MAN in October 2921 before covid restrictions were eased so not busy and got through paspport and baggage inside 20 mins. Now it appears it's horrendous and the airport seem to always blame staff shortages but this is not accurate. My son worked there on security staff, he left after a few months because the organisation and management was absolutely abysmal. Organisation was so bad they didn't know what he could do although he has passed through training, every time he checked in he had no idea which area he was going to work in and when he finally was allocated to an area he joined other staff who were hanging around also not being allocated jobs to do. He was so bored and de-motivated he followed many others out.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"why do the walkways between the terminals never work?"

Not Verified | We also waited hours for bag collection etc but they blame this on covid and staffing. My issues are why do the walkways between the terminals never work? I've flown 3 times and we use the meet and greet in another terminal and we have to walk 15 mins with kids and bags, can they not get them repaired? I can understand one or 2 not working but all of them? What about the tramps sleeping in sleeping bags at the train station terminal? What about the WIFI not working on arrival despite large signs telling us to use it. What about the dirty broken toilets on arrival near luggage collection?
Date VisitApril 2022

"Staff working were totally overwhelmed"

Trip Verified | Flight due to fly at 22.05. We arrived at security at 18.30. Queued until 21.45. Two security desks open. No staff, lots of arguments, people fainting, children crying. Staff working were totally overwhelmed and anxious. Two walked out crying. Both men. All passenger flights missed or delayed. We eventually flew at 11.45 pm.
Date VisitApril 2022

"the queue for passport control was horrendous"

Not Verified | We arrived at 4.30 in the morning over two and a half hours early, the queue for passport control was horrendous, we waited in that queue for nearly two hours then when we got through to security there were only three out of ten security stations open. We were pulled from the queue about 15 minutes before we were due to fly, our flight was due to leave at 7.15 at 7.10 we got our bags through security and then had to run for our plane, we were the last to board and don’t know how many people missed their planes. Not enough staff and tempers were rising on both sides the longer people had to wait, when we returned to Manchester we started to queue for passport control in the corridor and took nearly an hour to get through. Hope it’s sorted for summer!
Date VisitMarch 2022