Manchester Airport

"staff at the airport could be more informed and helpful"

Not Verified | So my friend (I do his UK travel arrangements) was diverted by easyJet from Birmingham to Manchester, what a joke. He arrived at Manchester at 9 p.m. on a Sunday night, after all the trains had stopped. I knew there is a National Express late service from Manchester to Birmingham so I arranged a ticket for him. (He needed to connect with his international flight on Monday morning, so I was running out of options apart from jumping in the car for a five-hour round trip and then work the next morning). Full marks to Manchester for having such good transport integration. My only feedback is, nobody in the airport could confirm to him that the bus service existed, and there were no staff at the bus stand to offer help and advice, so he was a little worried (I knew the service existed as the website sold me a ticket!). So (a) the staff at the airport could be more informed and helpful and (b) it wouldn't be hard for National Express to put up a timetable by the bus stand even if they can't staff it that late at night?
Date VisitDecember 2019

"will only use if there is no alternative"

Not Verified | I really, really hate this airport. There is no aspect of the experience there over the past two years that has been pleasant or helpful. On 25th November I decided to use the multi storey to park at terminal 1. I was dropping my son off with a guitar we had just bought, and wanted to make sure he got it past the check-in ok. I drove up the ramp to park and at that point, past the point of any return, and found a barrier blocking what had been the entrance to the car park, and a diversion sign. There were two staff members some distance along and when I drove up to them they explained that this was the first day of a new process under which only pre-booked cars could use that car park. (Good luck with that-my experience of pre-booking that car park has been that it is still very stressful trying to find a space.) They directed me to another car park, using a pre-printed card which they showed me but did not hand over. I could not find it and ended up parking at terminal 3 and walking with my son back to terminal 1, but I still had to pay £3 for 1 minute to get out of the car park I hadn't been allowed into, plus an additional £4.50 for the 21 minutes at terminal 3. So £7.50 for 22 minutes. This is nothing more or less than gouging in my opinion. The security process at the airport is appalling-it was more pleasant going through Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin before the wall came down. I've done both. I will only use Manchester airport if there is no alternative.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"A lot of shouting and incoherent orders"

Trip Verified | I am a KLM platinum frequent flyer taking somewhere between 60-100 flights a year, to many places in Europe and most major continents. Manchester airport is the worst airport for a major city I have visited in the last 10 years. No airside transit between easyJet and Flybe even though it is possible to do so with other airline combinations. A security screening system which is totally over the top compared with any airport I have visited anywhere in the world. Even mascara is considered a potentional threat to the safety of the aircraft! An asthma ventolin inhaler loose in the tray was rejected as not in a plastic bag. When asked why this was a problem was told terrorists use them as detonators. Presumably outside the plastic bag they are undetectable, but inside, can be. All in all, a Mad Hatter's Tea Party. A lot of shouting and incoherent orders given by staff adding to the confusion in screening. A general surliness of staff adds to the unpleasantness I'm sorry the people of Manchester have to put up with the "airport experience". I will not be using this airport again. The attached photo is a collection of normal travellers items in baggage which were rejected and had to be re-screened. All were considered as 'potentially compromising the safety of the aircraft'. Judge for yourselves!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"needs work doing to it"

Trip Verified | The airport is dated and needs work doing to it. The cost of parking is extortionate and clearly a way of making money out of the innocent people who have no choice to fly through here. The check in lines are huge as we fly with Qatar airways. The plane houses over 450 people and when I asked if they could open a new check in desk as 3 were open they said Manchester Airport doesn't give the facility for this to occur. The duty free options are over priced and can be seen as money making. It cost me over £17 for a 2 person meal in burger king something that you'd never pay out in the UK. The whole airport is centred around making money rather than the experience it's passengers have. T2 is dated and not really an experience anyone should want to go through. Invest some money into the airport and get it more integrated with experience rather than money making.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"they had no idea on movement of people"

Not Verified | Absolutely disgraceful for an "international airport". If you're flying from the new terminal 2 building you would do well to find another airport. The recently finished gates are a very very long way from check-in with only 2 quite short travelaters. If you struggle walking any length do get assistance. We've just landed and here's how it went. Touch down, add 15 minutes for taxiing to gate. Add about 30 minutes for the long walk back to your bags- passport control etc. Now add about an hour for your bags, remember they have to travel all the way from the plane too. We touched down at about 8pm and left the airport at 9.40. Whoever is responsible for the build and design of that terminal needs sacking and it's quite clear that they had no idea on movement of people. Manchester had never been great at moving people through the system but they just took a significant backward step.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"only two travellators along the whole length"

Trip Verified | Terminal 2 now has new gates numbered A1-12. The entry to this section is at the end of the existing departure lounge and is about a ten minute walk from security, on entering area A1-12 you are advised that there is a 15 minute walk to the furthest gate, we went from gate A11, I have some mobility problems but have always managed at Manchester so did not ask for assistance on the way out. There was no official anywhere in the area, about 8 chairs in two well spaced lots and two small lengths of travelator, both of which were working. If you can't walk half a mile plus in 15 minutes arrange assistance at Manchester Airport, this is handled via your travel company and the people helping are great, friendly and efficient. On returning some of the gates are just as far away from the customs hall, then there is the ten to fifteen minute walk to the only pick up car park, a short part of this walk is in the open, this time you will be pulling your luggage. Gates A1-12 are badly designed no help available when you realise the distance to be covered to your plane, with only two travellators along the whole length, and only two places to rest. Again if you have the slightest problem with your mobility pre arrange assistance.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"treated with aggression and distain"

Not Verified | Terrible staff attitude at the security lines. Shouting at passengers like cattle. They take things out of your trays and put them in another without telling you. They made my husband remove his jumper and he had nothing on underneath humiliating him in front of lines and lines of people. They interrogated him on why he had no toiletries. He said my wife has them shared as we are only away for a couple of days. He was told next time he must have his own! I collected the tray with my family's phones, tablets, money, jewelry, passports etc in to be told to leave them and come and supervise my 8 year old have a personal body search. I tried to collect valuables first and they shouted I had to leave them. I refused as I have previously read about theft from security trays in this airport. The guy shouted to everyone "ok she's leaving her child to look after her things". They then lost one of my boots which they later Found under a counter. My daughter's tray was also lost with her coat and bag in. It was found on a trolley and had not even been placed through the scanner. We had nothing removed and followed all the procedures. We were treated with aggression and distain. These people do not enjoy their employment and are using the security checks to release their frustrations and exerting meaningless power over toiletries and clothing. The airport is an embarrassment to the beautiful city of Manchester. I'm giving 1 star as I can't give zero.

"rude, officious, arrogant"

Not Verified | Over the past year, I have travelled from Manchester airport 3 times, and there is a major attitude problem amongst the security staff there. We know it is a tough but necessary job and we perhaps make it harder by a), being there in the first place and b), by being human, but for pity's sake, there is no need to bully passengers with your silly little power trips. You get away with it because people just want to get on a flight, anywhere outside of your little bubble, and you probably wouldn't be so rude, officious, arrogant and patronising, and if you were, you would not get away with it. We don't want you to be there just as much as you don't want us there, but such is our world. Passengers go through the hassle of flying out of choice and you also have a choice, if you can't do the job with good grace might I respectfully suggest that you do yourself and us a favour and get another job.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"baggage reclaim was a disaster"

Not Verified | I have previously been an advocate of Manchester Airport, but not any more. On my return to Manchester from Dubrovnik the passage through Customs and Security was adequate. However, baggage reclaim was a disaster. The baggage carousel was turning when we arrived so all looked promising. 30 minutes later, with the carousel still turning, no bags. Finally, two bags arrived and then the carousel jammed. Despite there being other empty carousels it took another 30 minutes for it to be fixed. And then the final insult. Collected my car from meet and greet and all seemed well. However the next morning in the light of day, I noticed a dent on my bonnet. Clearly I couldn't know if this had been done whilst i was driving home, so I asked for a copy of the photographs which are taken automatically as cars arrive at meet and greet. As the terms and conditions state that any damage has to be reported before you leave the airport, they refused to even investigate. How are you supposed to check your car on a dark, foggy, rainy night in Manchester I do not know.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"ridiculously long lines"

Trip Verified | The worst airport experience I've had in many years, and that is saying a lot! Cramped and overcrowded spaces, dirty facilities, ridiculously long lines, unclear signage. The "highlight" was the security check - from start to finish, it took me about an hour. Extremely long queue, and then ridiculously exaggerated and histrionic security check. About 4 in 5 bags were pulled aside to be examined by understaffed and harried personnel. Almost missed my flight because of the security check. I hope to avoid this airport at all costs in the future!