Manchester Airport

"Mouse or was it a Rat?"

Not Verified | Mouse or was it a Rat? Carrying on the theme of Manchester Airport being unclean: Every time I have to fly from Manchester I notice how appallingly grubby it is, (not to mention the travelators which are rarely ever all working on the same day!) with accumulated grime in many locations. But one visit stands out above all others - when climbing the stairs from the toilets near the departure gate, I was rather surprised to see something small and furry running on the step above, a baby rodent! Quite unbelievable to find a mouse in a UK international airport terminal. Two girls descending screamed and I immediately looked for a staff member, I found a 'large' bloke in a hi-viz vest sitting scoffin' his 'scran' who casually replied: 'Yeah, they're all over mate - the place is infested with 'em, they're in the roof!' Then continued to eat - never even got up to look or report it! I later googled images of young rodents, I have a horrible feeling it was a baby rat! Manchester Airport takes no notice of complaints - one employee told me in hushed tones to contact the local mayor Andy Burnham as according to him the council considerably subsides the operation. Maybe I will.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"It all feels very uneasy and unpleasant"

Not Verified | On arrival you get hit by charges. Pay to park for the covid test, pay to drop off, pay pay pay. No idea where that money is funneled, certainly not in keeping the place tidy as the airport is sad and dirty. It's covid, so most of the departure area is understandably closed. However, it also means all departure passengers are cattled around three rows of seats. Despite the loudspeakers telling us every five minutes that masks must be worn at all times and that security check, many passengers aren't wearing their mask. It all feels very uneasy and unpleasant.
Date VisitApril 2021

"filthiness, over-commercialisation"

Trip Verified | Unfortunately this is my nearest major airport, so I have little choice but to use it. But Manchester Airport never fails to set new standards for its filthiness, over-commercialisation, and rip-off charges at all stages - parking especially. As a major gateway to the UK, the airport creates a disgracefully poor image for the UK. Compared to other major regional airport in comparable countries - take your pick of modern, spotless airports throughout Europe - Manchester Airport is a national embarrassment due to slovenly and greedy management. In normal times Manchester Airport makes several hundred million pounds of profit per year - enough to not fleece passengers for car parking (or even just dropping off - there’s no way to avoid the charges), and enough to maintain basic hygiene. For me, there is no worse Airport in the world.
Date VisitMarch 2021

"horrified by the treatment of the security staff"

Trip Verified | I am horrified by the treatment of the security staff. They kept me waiting for literally 1 whole hour just unpacking my whole suitcase, checking each one of my make up products, going over every single part of my suitcase, grabbing my toothbrush and swabbing it, as if they had never seen a toothbrush before. They just seemed to enjoy making a big deal out of absolutely every product within my bag, then said that products like toothbrushes and phone chargers need rechecking. I almost lost my flight due to their incompetence and rudeness. They did the same to a very old couple just ahead of me, the old lady having to sit down while his husband had to repack both their suitcases. Absolutely appalling behaviour from the staff at Manchester airport, I had already heard bad reviews and experiences by this was just a joke. I will try to avoid travelling from Manchester at all costs.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"I was appalled by the rudeness of the security staff"

Not Verified | I've been flying from Manchester since the mid 80's and always found it the best in my region for the choice of destinations. I lived abroad for a number of years and recently returned to live in the UK. This was my first foreign trip from Manchester in 10 years and I was appalled by the rudeness of the security staff. I'm used to travelling with hand luggage only. Normally I pop my case on, take out my laptop, clear bag with liquids in and place them in a tray. I have it all down to a fine art. Now this time I had to put my laptop in one tray, my liquids in another and my cabin bag in another. My mother also ended up with two trays, so five between two of us. We then had to queue for ages to get through the one and only metal detector in that area and the staff were shouting at everyone to move quickly. At the other end a snotty woman was shouting at people to pick up their trays and take to the packing area. That's all very well when you just have one, but five, seriously. When trying frantically grab things and condense into one tray so I can carry it to the crowded packing are with no space, she's shouting at me saying 'It's not rocket science!' I've never been treated with such rudeness. I then had my case searched because of a tiny pair of fold up nail scissors which have been all over the world with me in 10 years with no issues. Doncaster Sheffield airport is 20 min from me where the staff treat you with respect and I've already booked my next hol from there. You can get to many popular holidays destinations from there and it's clean, modern and friendly. Why would I drive for two hours to be treated like a piece of dirt by people whose wages I'm paying? Just because they work on security they think it gives them carte blanche to be rude and unprofessional. With a lack of passengers due to covid, airlines cutting back on flights and cancelling holidays the staff should be welcoming passengers not driving them away. I can't honestly see Manchester still operating 3 terminals this time next year. Terminal one is also grubby and dated. I used to live in Manchester and loved it but having been back several times in the last year I've experienced nothing but rudeness at both the train stations and now the airport. No wonder I've heard people referring to it as the 'Nasty Northwest' lately. Heathrow must deal with millions more passengers every year and it's much more polite and professional.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"I’d rather drive 4 hours to Stansted"

Trip Verified | For years the security personnel at Manchester have been the worst in the world, rude, cocky, arrogant, confused, then after the lockdown in July they transformed they polite, knowledgeable and spoke to their customers (yes customers, our business pays their wages) live humans rather than like dogs. Then comes September, obviously fed up with being polite they are back, they all have different instructions have not got a clue and so arrogant and rude, I’d rather drive 4 hours to Stansted they should at least all bark the same instructions I’d sack the lot of them if they worked for me, absolute morons.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"Hope the pandemic causes a mindset change"

Not Verified | Must be the worst airport in the world, security treat people like dogs. Lounges are always full. Its the whole attitude of the staff. They have had it easy for years. Now that crunch time has come they may start to treat people like customers, in a friendly and happy manner. We are going on our holidays. We do not want to be abused by staff from start to finish. Its a dreadful experience. We pay your wages, we are on a hard earned break and you ruin the start of it. Its appalling. As far as the lounges go the staff are a disgrace. You feel lucky to get in any lounge even though you have paid an annual fee. Hope the pandemic causes a mindset change. The only nice people at Manchester are Jet2 staff. What a breath of fresh air to get to the Jet2 gate and the staff are so lovely. What a change.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"Utterly poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Security was absolutely shambolic. Travelling with family/children? Avoid like the plague. Especially security B. Post lockdown levels of passengers yet still a long queue as only one scanner open. By the way, security B is a maze of stairs and hidden lifts. I’m travelling alone with a toddler who will not leave my side during security yet it’s insisted I stand alone in the body scanner. Toddler leaves my side for no more than 5 seconds, and security staff grab her by the wrist and pulls her away from me in the scanner, whilst another coworker fails in his attempts at entertaining/distracting my toddler with a tray. Toddler freaks out with the woman grabbing her by the wrist and ends up getting extremely upset and clinging to my leg and screaming at the top of her lungs. I sternly ask her not to do that as she’s hurting and upsetting my already stressed child. She would not have grabbed an adult by the wrist and pulled like she did to my daughter, whilst my daughter panics and cries out for me. I ask if we can’t just go through the walk through scanner, and she says no - the rules are that if the body scanner is available I must be scanned in that, and that she’s just doing her job. So they finally decide to do a complete search instead. A supervisor turns up to hover but has nothing useful or comforting to say. When I tell her we were forced to go through the body scanner travelling alone with a child, the woman pipes up and says we weren’t forced to go through it. And says this repeatedly, contradicting me. However, I was certainly not offered a choice!! Meanwhile my daughter is begging and crying for her pacifier which is on the tray going through the bag scanner rolls eyes which I’d been asked to send through with the bags because it was bulging in my pocket. She pats me down. Then tells me she also needs to do the same to my daughter (having man handled her earlier). I explain to my daughter what’s about to happen (woman tries to tell my daughter she’s going to give her a tickle), woman looks to me for approval, and I tell her to just do it quickly and get it over with. A completely unnecessarily stressful experience with zero consideration nor respect for children. Utterly poor customer service.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"An amazing experience"

Not Verified | An amazing experience through Manchester, except security. Staff at security were shouting 'All liquids in bags' (super loud). Check-in and boarding was all good. Food was good too
Date VisitAugust 2019

"a very grubby space"

Trip Verified | Meet and greet parking location is nice and convenient but horrendous queues to drop off car keys in the terminal. Drab airport interior and this theme is continued around security processing with low ceilings and generally cramped queuing areas. Paid for fast track so skipped most of the lines, but a very grubby space. Gate areas are slightly better for space and light, but terrible seating choices and average washroom cleanliness. Not an airport to hang around in. On arrival, immigration kiosk queues were modest and baggage was quick. Baggage area toilets similarly weak appearance. Rather confusing system of automatic retrieval for car keys at meet and greet area but staff there to assist.
Date VisitFebruary 2020