Manchester Airport

"treated with aggression and distain"

Not Verified | Terrible staff attitude at the security lines. Shouting at passengers like cattle. They take things out of your trays and put them in another without telling you. They made my husband remove his jumper and he had nothing on underneath humiliating him in front of lines and lines of people. They interrogated him on why he had no toiletries. He said my wife has them shared as we are only away for a couple of days. He was told next time he must have his own! I collected the tray with my family's phones, tablets, money, jewelry, passports etc in to be told to leave them and come and supervise my 8 year old have a personal body search. I tried to collect valuables first and they shouted I had to leave them. I refused as I have previously read about theft from security trays in this airport. The guy shouted to everyone "ok she's leaving her child to look after her things". They then lost one of my boots which they later Found under a counter. My daughter's tray was also lost with her coat and bag in. It was found on a trolley and had not even been placed through the scanner. We had nothing removed and followed all the procedures. We were treated with aggression and distain. These people do not enjoy their employment and are using the security checks to release their frustrations and exerting meaningless power over toiletries and clothing. The airport is an embarrassment to the beautiful city of Manchester. I'm giving 1 star as I can't give zero.

"rude, officious, arrogant"

Not Verified | Over the past year, I have travelled from Manchester airport 3 times, and there is a major attitude problem amongst the security staff there. We know it is a tough but necessary job and we perhaps make it harder by a), being there in the first place and b), by being human, but for pity's sake, there is no need to bully passengers with your silly little power trips. You get away with it because people just want to get on a flight, anywhere outside of your little bubble, and you probably wouldn't be so rude, officious, arrogant and patronising, and if you were, you would not get away with it. We don't want you to be there just as much as you don't want us there, but such is our world. Passengers go through the hassle of flying out of choice and you also have a choice, if you can't do the job with good grace might I respectfully suggest that you do yourself and us a favour and get another job.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"baggage reclaim was a disaster"

Not Verified | I have previously been an advocate of Manchester Airport, but not any more. On my return to Manchester from Dubrovnik the passage through Customs and Security was adequate. However, baggage reclaim was a disaster. The baggage carousel was turning when we arrived so all looked promising. 30 minutes later, with the carousel still turning, no bags. Finally, two bags arrived and then the carousel jammed. Despite there being other empty carousels it took another 30 minutes for it to be fixed. And then the final insult. Collected my car from meet and greet and all seemed well. However the next morning in the light of day, I noticed a dent on my bonnet. Clearly I couldn't know if this had been done whilst i was driving home, so I asked for a copy of the photographs which are taken automatically as cars arrive at meet and greet. As the terms and conditions state that any damage has to be reported before you leave the airport, they refused to even investigate. How are you supposed to check your car on a dark, foggy, rainy night in Manchester I do not know.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"ridiculously long lines"

Trip Verified | The worst airport experience I've had in many years, and that is saying a lot! Cramped and overcrowded spaces, dirty facilities, ridiculously long lines, unclear signage. The "highlight" was the security check - from start to finish, it took me about an hour. Extremely long queue, and then ridiculously exaggerated and histrionic security check. About 4 in 5 bags were pulled aside to be examined by understaffed and harried personnel. Almost missed my flight because of the security check. I hope to avoid this airport at all costs in the future!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"things had improved a lot"

Not Verified | I travel through Manchester Airport about once a year. Last year's experience was very bad, but I may just be lucky because this time things had improved a lot. Security at departure was quick and the staff were cheerful, even though it was 6am in the morning. The departure lounge was comfortable and clean, and the food and drink was fine. On return a few days later everything went like clockwork. The steps were at the aircraft door just a couple of minutes after the plane came to a halt, the automatic passport readers were all working properly, and the baggage handlers must have been on steroids as our cases appeared on the carousel just as we reached it. From touchdown to car park in 30 minutes. Must be a record!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"one of the worst airports in Europe"

Not Verified | Truly one of the worst airports in Europe. Hopeless info screens, useless live announcements, overcrowded public areas, pathetic choice of catering outlets, bad boarding areas. Totally unsuited to coping with traffic. The train is a long walk from T3 and the security checks are rubbish.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"like traveling all levels of hell"

Not Verified | I arrived at MAN from CDG after transferring from an international flight. You get on a bus to transfer processing, go through security, and get on another bus to your terminal. The buses come every 10-15 minutes. Just so you know how it works in Manchester’s less than perfect world. I go through security. I’m scanned and frisked. The security people took out everything – infinitesimal amounts of gels, creams, liquids and brushes (really, are brushes weaponized now?) from my bag and told me to put them in a quart size container. I had to throw away a number of larger containers with tiny bits inside. Security kept saying “your airline makes us to this.” Right. Not DL or AF or any other airline I’ve flown during my millions of miles of travel. Then they tell me to go to T2 to get my connection. I go out the door and into the elevator. The lounges are above. I go there. And no one will let me in. I’m flying Business Class. A security worker sees this and says I am in T1, not T2. He says this happens all the time (probably because there are no signs). So, he walks me down to the transfer bus. And it won’t take me from T1 to T2. I need to go through security again. Again, scanned, frisked, my infinitesimal paraphernalia taken out and put in a bag. Now I find out T2 is only accessible from the lower level. Upstairs are the lounges for T1. Where's the sign? The elevator opens onto another sad little “bussing” room to T2. I get to a lounge in T2 and I’m told I can’t come in. I ask for a manager and she apologizes and tells me I can come in because I'm flying Business. And my name is on the “list.” The lounge has a few seats, miserable food, no bathroom, but thankfully a self-serve bar which I made good use of. Total transfer time: 2 hours. Never again will I fly Virgin, AF, or Delta through Manchester and neither should you– transferring through this airport is like traveling through all the levels of hell.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"An awful start to my journey"

Not Verified | The airport seem to be employing rude and belligerent 'thugs' in stab vests in the parking areas. The parking area is confusing at best, but to be shouted at and made to feel threatened by a bully is disgraceful at a modern airport in the uk. An awful start to my journey.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"officious, pedantic and unfriendly"

Trip Verified | Security at this airport is the most officious, pedantic and unfriendly I have experienced anywhere. This inflexible adherence to unnecessary detail - in what tray to put my belt, where my boots, where my jacket etc is also inefficient and slow. Above all, it lacked any human warmth; passengers were being grilled. I have used a lot of airports; this is a new low.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"one of the worst airports"

Trip Verified | My wife was unfortunate enough to develop pneumonia whilst on a cruise last week, we were told by medics as she was struggling with breathing she should use a wheelchair. As we arrived at Palma airport I asked for some help, within seconds a wheelchair arrived a trolley for the luggage and an assistant took my wife's chair straight through to check-in even though we were very early they accepted our cases and put us both on a golf buggy and took us to a designated disablement section, it was an extremely smooth and sleek operation. it could not have been easier. We then landed at Manchester T2 What a difference, one bloke on his own trying to help 8 wheelchair-bound passengers, I asked another assistant if someone could help as I had two suitcases and two rucksacks and a wife in a wheelchair to be told sorry its not my job mate. So my wife had to walk slowly holding onto the luggage trolley which incidentally cost me a pound to use. The taxi phoned us to say he had arrived but it turned out to be a ten-minute walk to the pick-up point, I had to leave my wife trying to walk slowly behind me who eventually couldn't go any further so I had to go back and get her a wheelchair. When we eventually got to the barrier the driver needed to pay more as we had gone over the half hour limit. This has to be one of the worst airports in the world