Manchester Airport

"no customer service skills"

Not Verified | Disgusting customer service around the car park of Terminal 1. I was spoken to very rudely and in a patronising manner by a woman in a high vis jacket when I asked her for directions. Totally unnecessary and downright rude. Then on my exit out of the car park, I asked the man over the intercom a question about payment and once again I was patronised for absolutely no reason. These people have no customer service skills and are unnecessarily rude.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"like something from the 1980s"

(Luxembourg)

Not Verified | Terminal 3. Grubby, slow, what few staff there are are rude and uninterested, very slow security with sarcastic security staff. Toilets dirty, seating area cramped and badly organised, poor choice of food and drink outlets. Non existent wifi. Overall like something from the 1980s.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"I now dread using it"

Not Verified | I have used Manchester airport many times in the past but I now dread using it. Queues are always awful, staff not interested, just an all round horrible start to a holiday, and having to pay to pick up or drop off is corporate greed at its worst. The management seem to bury their heads in the sand and always have an excuse blaming everything but their incompetence to run an airport. Hate it.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"staff are lazy and uninterested"

Not Verified | This has to be the worst airport I have ever flown through. The staff are lazy and uninterested (particularly in the car park and security areas) and at times verge on arrogant. They would do well to remember that without the passengers they wouldn't have jobs. The whole set up is old and tatty and inefficient, staff standing around chatting and hugging one another while passengers are waiting to be processed. I long got the day when I never have to fly through this horrible place again. Take a leaf out of Leeds book, they actually know how to run an airport. Sort your car parks out bunch of arrogant robbing con men.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"experience fills me with dread"

Not Verified | I have extensive experience of many airports around the world. I can honestly say that Manchester is by far the worst. It is worse even than all 3rd world airports I have used. The whole experience fills me with dread in the anticipation of what is come every time I have to arrive or depart. The facilities are old and tatty, the staff are rude and uncaring and the security staff have no consistency in the way they manage. Over the past 10 years I have seen a gradual and steady decline in standards. The Manchester Airport Group (MAG) have recently introduced pickup and drop off charges. They will not doubt defend that decision as helping to reduce vehicle traffic, or even under the banner of some environmental initiative. Well, I don’t believe them. This in my opinion is yet another cynical attempt to extract more money from travellers. Will it help to fund improvements in infrastructure or improve passenger experience? I don’t think so. I think it will just help to improve the annual bonus of executives. For many of us there is no option and we have to use Manchester Airport. But, if there is any other option I will always take it.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"worst airport in the world"

Not Verified | Just collected our dear friends from the Tenerife flight landed at 6.55pm Tom 2203, we had to go to the new terminal 2 multi storey car park, we could not even get in we had to quueu to get in. When we finally got to the barriers there were 4 lanes that all had to turn left to get in with no dedicated lanes we had to edge in bumper to bumper and side of car to side of car so close there was beeping/shouting and we could hear arguments at the barriers to get out too. You drive all the way round on the ground level to the disabled bays where are friends have to wait as they are disabled. Cars where trying to back out to exit and had nowhere to go as we where all coming in, they were forcing there way out because of the charges and time limits and even unconcerned about pedestrians with cases and children trying to find there taxis or lifts. We could not park our poor friends had to jump in the car as we gradually moved along, then we too had to queue to get out. It took longer to get in/out of this awful car park than it did for our friends to get off the plane collect their cases and get through security. The worst airport in the world and we've been to many. This system is not working, and wont work even when it's finished, its mainly due to the greedy airport owners, something needs to be done NOW but of course that won't happen until someone is killed in that airport car park. From What I saw tonight I'm afraid that wont be long. If you have a choice go to another airport. Ps. we flew into Manchester Terminal 2 on 3rd January after being away for new year, please be aware if you have mobility problems it's a 1 kilometer walk from the gate to security far to far away.

"it is appalling"

Trip Verified | The worst airport in the world. When we arrived at terminal 2 on the 11th January 2020 at 20.15 we were appalled at the long walk after departing from Jet2. We also waited ages to get through passport control. After a lovely holiday we had to cart 4 cases to the west point for our taxi. We are in our 70s and our backs were sore by the time we got there, it spoilt our holiday. The queue was long and taxis all over the place, we spent nearly 2 hours in this airport, I booked good flights we only live 30 mins from the airport and we did not get home until 10.45. It puts you off. Something must be done, what about people in wheelchairs experiencing this horrendous state of affairs. It has put us off going abroad, we travel 4 times a year. I have spoken to my friends and they agree it is appalling please take note.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"the most unusable airport in the world"

Trip Verified | T2 Dreadful place. As an older person who has stopped running marathons years ago, T2 is by far the most unusable airport in the world for people who are not "disabled" but have some mobility issues. I understand the theory of having to wind your way through duty free after the undermanned under resourced security area and the miles of cattle fencing for check-in. I was told off for not using it even when it was empty. (we are forced to check in mega early for these reasons). We wont mention the bars full of drunks first thing in a morning. After leaving the Aspire or Escape lounges which themselves are pretty poor compared to the rest of the world. The walk to the gates is several hundred yards at least, too much for families and the elderly and as yet the walkway has never been working. (its only short anyway) I have been there when the lifts were not working either. So unless you set off to the gate the instant is shows on the screens you will be late and incur the wrath of rude ground staff. The sit down on the aircraft is most welcomed IF you don't have to wind round steps and up steps to the aircraft. This is too much for some people and very definitely a security risk, that is another story. Don't mention special assistance, it takes forever, no staff, no chairs, wrong size etc, etc. plus it precludes you from having an extra legroom seat, and we are the people in most need of the legroom. Coming back is something to be feared, it is over 1 kilometer from the gate to the pick-up point and even for able bodied people dragging cases and children is a very long way. Landed at 14.05 today and it was over 1 hour 40 minutes before we were on our way and most of that was walking, blistered feet exhausted. It is an extra 30 minutes by car to Liverpool for us so we would have been home before we even left Manchester airport. I travel very regularly and have been to 73 countries in my life so I have some airport knowledge. Never again, the architects need shooting. I understand the available footprint and the budget constraints but the most terrible place in the world to travel from/to.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"somewhere I would prefer to avoid"

Trip Verified | We were due to fly from Liverpool to Mallorca until easyJet cancelled their January flights, but we were able to transfer to flights via Manchester. We weren't thrilled at the prospect, having avoided Manchester for some years now on the basis of its size and overcrowding. In the event, things were much better than expected, mainly because both flights were at quiet times of day. Passage through security took only a few minutes and, though both of us had our hand luggage selected for separate inspection, the security staff were very pleasant and in no way officious. On our return, we were quickly through the electronic passport gates and actually back to our car in JetPark 1 within 20 minutes or so of landing. So, as far as the basic function of transit from car park to plane and back again was concerned, we had no problems at all. I would still say, however, that Manchester airport is somewhere I would prefer to avoid: some of the signage is confusing, many of the seats in the main central area of Terminal One were ripped and in need of replacement and the route from plane to terminal exit seemed to involve several staircases up or down. The sight of the extensive chicanes at security and passport control, not in use when we transited, was also a clear indication of what the airport must be like at peak times. As for finding one's way around the exterior of the airport, I can only be glad that all we needed was to access JetPark 1 and let the transfer bus drivers do the rest! All in all, though we actually got off very lightly, our enforced return to Manchester made us appreciate Liverpool airport all the more.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Very poorly trained arrogant staff"

Trip Verified | The queue was very short at security and my bags went through the scanner but I was delayed as I was patted down by a female security guard. The zip on my top had set off the machine. That was not an issue. The issue was with the security guard who when through my bag. He completely emptied my bag opened my medicine bag and removed all my medication, reading each label and was shaking it about. When I told him my medication was personal. He told me medication had to be declared as part of the liquids bag which is untrue. He then held me up for 20 mins as he swapped by bag 3 times! And put it through the machine 3 times just to delay me. I stood there laughing at the unprofessional approach he choose to take. Very poorly trained arrogant staff in this airport the machines are oversensitive. That week I had travelled from Dublin to London, Exeter to Manchester, Manchester to Exeter and tomorrow I will be flying back to Dublin. The only place I had an issue or was been patted down is Manchester. I suppose the have to justify their job.