Manchester Airport

"airport has gone from tolerable to awful"

Not Verified | This airport has gone from tolerable to awful. Several pounds are demanded just to drop people off (shocking). Access is awful, organization is awful and with brexit looming the signage and passport control is awful. Huge queues of disgruntled passengers failing to get through automated passport reading gates (because they dont work properly) just adds to the delays. Our supposed friends from the EU treated like 2nd class citizens with signage referring to them just as OTHER while the UK queue has "Its new friends" depicted by signage comprising a picture list of national flags, including USA, Canada Australia and other "anglosphere countries" and a few others such as might have agreed odd trade deals with us like Japan, South Korea etc. The whole thing feels like one would experience in a third world country where by default chaos and confusion reign.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"will now look to other airports"

Not Verified | Drop off and pick up charges are disgusting, these charges are only likely to increase over the coming years, I will now look to other airports to travel from.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Staff were friendly, courteous and efficient"

Not Verified | Terminal 1 staff could not have been better in dealing with my son and I. My son had toothpaste he forgot to declare and I had cough medicine I'd overlooked. Staff were friendly, courteous and efficient. Friday afternoon, 25th October.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Manchester Airport is dreadful"

Trip Verified | I have been using Manchester Airport for over 20 years and each time I promised I would write a review on this dreadful place. There is very little I can consider as even pleasant about this airport. I have been a KLM Platinum frequent Flyer for the last 8 years and do over 40 flights a year in and out of Manchester to Amsterdam and then onwards through to Asia/US/Europe etc. For the convenience I use Manchester and mainly because of its rail connection between York and the airport (even this has its moments of despair but that's for another day) From the moment I step of the train I see nothing but faces (station platform through to airport security) that are really not interested in what they do and far less interested in people travelling through, in fact "passengers" are their nightmare. The Northern rail staff are horrendous, rude and ignorant. Do you know there are no "TV Screens" anywhere displaying the departures of trains until you have actually gone through the ticket barrier and entered the platform zone before one can find out the times and destinations of a train ... pathetic, and try asking any of the station staff for that information is as if you have requested them to give you £20. Passing through the ticket barrier on the 24th Oct at about 09:00 hours I counted 10 staff members on the inside of the barrier stood in pairs, my ticket was "rejected" by the barrier sensor so the gate remained closed, I tried to draw the attention of a staff member of my predicament, first think I was asked, do you have a valid ticket? Yes Sir I do. "Let me see it" by all means Sir, he scrutinised my ticket and said "Is in order and should work" Well well well what a surprise, I was instructed to try it again. Nope the barrier remained closed, he called a colleague who also checked my ticket and would you believe it they had to bring in a 3rd fellow with a "magic key" to open the barrier, which did not work, and I had to use another barrier and try my ticket again there to no avail, before a new key was introduced and I was eventually allowed to gain entry to the "railway side of the platforms" My principle terminal for KLM is T3, probably the longest walk from the station and I mean walk because the travelators' scarcely work, over the past 3 weeks (I have has 6 visit's in this time in and out) there has been a group of "engineers" working on them and just yesterday I returned, no engineers and the travelator heading out was inoperative. Just a word of caution on this walkway from station to T1&T3 when it rains the floor is a hazard but to the leaking arch roof. The elevators to get to down from the walkway to the level where T3 pathway are so slow when there are so many users about, I have found an alternative route via T1 arrivals but my word its a straggle. Depends on airline I suppose for check-in but I generally use KLM/AirFrance with a priority pass through "security" thankfully but this is another experience in itself, miserable people employed to ensure you don't have liquids, gels, electrical stuff etc. I'm done moaning as I have better things to do but I'm back in to T3 again on Monday 28th Oct with KLM and returning (Airfance 7th Nov) and do you know I'm expecting the same shambles as I have seen for so many years already. Manchester Airport is dreadful
Date VisitOctober 2019

"incredibly incompetent and rude personnel"

Trip Verified | Officially worst airport in Europe. As someone who flies on a weekly basis across EU / UK, I have never experienced as horrible end-to-end experience as in Manchester. The worst part of it is security checks: horrendous queue times even if you buy “fast track”, incredibly incompetent and rude personnel who cannot explain the logic behind any of their actions and confiscates things at random without any reference. This does not increase any perceived level of in-flight safety. Huge difference compared to even Liverpool airport which works much better. Avoid Manchester Airport at all costs.

"nations worst airport"

Not Verified | Shambolic disgrace. Flew from terminal 1 on October 4th. Shocking experience from start to finish, no organisation or help to go through security just robotic faced staff if you were lucky enough to find anyone. We finally found our stuff after it had gone through the x-ray machine there were passengers milling around aimlessly with no obvious indication of where to go next. I finally saw a member of staff and asked which way to go and his first two words were "calm down" I was perfectly calm and just in need of help as were scores of other people. He snootily pointed to a small blue sign barely visible from our location and some distance away, his demeanour implied that it was obvious (it was not!). Never ever will I fly from this place again. (I will not give it the courtesy of calling it an airport). I already cancelled a trip to Kefalonia in May as it involved flying from here. I read in my paper 2 days ago that this was the nations worst airport (wow what a surprise).

"Woeful experience"

Not Verified | An awful airport. Being a regional airport - it’s USP in lieu of masses of direct flights like London should be ease of getting in and out. Over the last year, the airport company has made it its mission to make picking up and dropping off expensive and complex. 3 Uber drivers couldn’t find us at the official “meet and greet” location. Woeful experience.

"Service is terrible"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | I’ve been flying on BRU-MAN almost every week since May 2019. It is by far the worst airport I’ve ever travelled to or from. Service is terrible - wait so long for any checked bags, wait super long at security check even though I always have a “fast track” ticket. Tip: if you don’t have to, never check in your luggage. And never buy fast track, it is totally worthless. Also at boarding calls fast track is completely ignored. In general, it sucks.

"outdated, small, cramped"

Not Verified | Manchester Airport Terminal 3 is outdated, small, cramped - terrible catering facilities and shopping, dirty smelly toilets. Disgraceful for an international airport. Needs pulling down and re building.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"staff were badly trained and extremely discourteous"

Not Verified | We very recently travelled from Manchester Airport for a ten day holiday in Fuertaventura. We checked in online then arrived at the airport to a queue with our luggage that went for about 1000yds down a number of corridors and almost out of the airport. The only staff we could talk to were airport staff who were abrupt and said it was nothing to do with them. After 30 minutes we checked in the baggage to then form another queue for security. Again the staff were badly trained and extremely discourteous. I completely understand the need and time for security but these people were abrupt and ill mannered. We then had a quarter of a mile walk to our Tui boarding point in terminal 2 with no travelators working. There were older and slightly infirmed people and people with children really struggling. On our return part of the aircraft luggage arrived after 15 minutes and ours along with the rest arrived 30 minutes later. Then we had to endure the extremely long walk for our pick up who had had to pay a premium to collect us. As a Mancunian who has worked for the Manchester Evening News for more than 20 years I used to boast and be extremely proud of our airport and I really felt it was a jewel in Manchester’s crown. It is now a thorn in its side. An extremely poorly run, badly managed airport that we now have to endure and no longer enjoy. Whilst it is supported or controlled by some Australian hedge fund I believe that the local authorities, who still have some involvement should unite and take back control of this complete mess. It is an embarrassment to our great city and is the shop window to our many visitors.