Manchester Airport

"the queue snaked forever with no staff member knowing what to do"

Trip Verified | Etihad had only four desks for check in, we arrived 3 hours before our flight to find the longest queue I’ve ever seen at MAN Airport. It took 2.5 hours to check in. Had bought fast track security in the new terminal, the security belt broke and the queue snaked forever with no staff member knowing what to do. We had no time to shop for goods for our holiday or buy food. We then sat on the tarmac for 2 hours as no bags had been brought to the plane. We missed our connecting flight as Etihad didn’t hold any of the connecting flights. Our son got covid and spent Christmas Day in a hospital in Abu Dhabi even though his only symptoms were a runny nose. Total shambles and they blame the passengers for turning up. Always been a terrible airport and has made travelling a stressful heading of cats experience. Disgusting place. Inadequate board members who are only interested in profit and not passengers or staff.
Date VisitDecember 2021

"past week was the worst I have experienced"

Trip Verified | Have been using MAN and LHR for transatlantic trips for 20+ years. MAN has always been very slow for check in and especially security clearance. This past week was the worst I have experienced ever. Stayed over in the airport hotel so we could enjoy a leisurely morning ahead of our 12.30 flight on Aer Lingus. Went to check in [doc check] at 9.20 a.m. (!!!!) with queue of maybe 15 people and 3 counters, looked good. Ended up taking 45 mins [staff break, general sluggishness then down to 1 counter as line swelled]. Entered security - unbelievable. Conga line was 4 layers deep and although 6+ lanes had staff, only 2 were open initially. When the doors had to be closed shut they finally opened more lanes but by then it was too late. Got through at 11.00 [yes 55 mins, which brings into question the published reports from MAN aiming for 92% of passengers through in <15 min??]. After a brisk 12 min walk (through the horrid commercial tack in T2) trying to find a restaurant, we see on the board we are asked to go to gate at 11.30 [~18 mins from now] hence no breakfast / relax. Thanks MAN - for a thoroughly lousy experience. We made it over the gate via the soul less A wing only to find that they would not in fact be boarding at 11.45, but 12.30. Aer Lingus staff seemed to be clueless and so many of them sitting around doing nothing, and explains the lack of staff on check in desks pre-security. Overall very disappointing. Morning arrivals to MAN is not much better. On inbound leg, our flight landed at 5.45 am, and T2 has nothing open until after 7 am and even then it is a small coffee shop [all other shops have closed up], so be prepared to stand for 1h+ alongside a 200 yard queue of people waiting for Randox Covid testing to open [also at 7 am], as there are also no seats available. Car rental counters open at 8 on Saturdays, so no other options except hope for your early am flight to land later than published. Welcome to MAN. Typically [in 20+ years experience of MAN] security will take you at least 30 mins door to exit and check in seems to be also very slow, so the notion of being there 3h ahead of an international flight is actually very real [see above]. In my view this defeats the purpose of using a regional airport in the north. I can drive from LHR in less than 4h and the departing / arrivals is fast, professional, and reliable. Even more importantly, with multiple carriers, prices are MUCH cheaper due to competition so think very carefully before using MAN airport.
Date VisitDecember 2021

"what a mess"

Not Verified | We went on holiday with Jet2 from terminal 2 at Manchester Airport, what a mess. On check in we were told to allow 15 min to walk to our gate as jet2 are based there, we are both in our late 70s and considered quite fit, although I have a problem walking a long distance, but do not expect such a distance at an Airport and therefore found the walk difficult both on the outward journey and on arrival at our inward journey. I feel that there are many people with the same problem as myself that do not fit the criteria for assistance. Therefore I feel the older generation that is a large portion of your business as been over looked. I hope that by bringing this matter to your attention something positive will come of it as we older generation are not quite giving up on life and holidays.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"Chaotic and lengthy security queues"

Trip Verified | Chaotic and lengthy security queues at Terminal 1 Security. This airport compares unfavourably with virtually every airport I have travelled to and from all over the world. Staff in Security are clearly under pressure and convey their frustration and annoyance in a rather hectoring atmosphere in their dealings with the public. Lengthy walking also between terminals since the powered walkways were all out of commission, and the distances are not inconsiderable especially if you, like me, had a hip replacement operation quite recently. This airports management need to take a long hard look at how their facility operates, there is plenty to improve, trust me.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"I complained to Manchester airport and they did not answer"

Not Verified | Complaining about the security at terminal 1 on behalf of my dad who's 87. The staff have no people skills especially to old people, my dad was made to take off his shoes after he forgot to take out his wallet they checked him again but buzzed. He then complained I have nothing in my pockets etc and then was made to go through the body scanner, he was mad with his treatment and he could not put on his shoes after as he has arthritis and his age. Avoid this airport. I complained to Manchester airport and they did not answer.

"Get more staff"

Not Verified | Always the same. Waiting ridiculous times for hold luggage. Get more staff. For a sub 2 hour flight waiting one hour for luggage is unacceptable. It is usually waiting to get off the plane or waiting for luggage which lets this airport down. Will always choose an alternative airport if I can.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"Worst airport in the world"

Not Verified | Worst airport in the world! Check in and security were not too bad but the New Terminal 2 is terrible. It’s obviously just a money making racket. Not interest in passenger needs. Very expensive eating places. Only Smiths available to buy any essentials. No Boots chemist only land side which is no use if you can only take hand luggage and want to buy toiletries at the airport. I would like to know which architects designed this terminal because I think a child could have done better. The ladies toilets are a disgrace. The water from the taps hits the back of the basins and splashes water everywhere so if you don’t realise you get all wet. Only two hand driers - a disgrace for the number of passengers that pass through. Hopefully will not have to use Manchester much anymore and will go to Liverpool when I can. It is a much better airport. What a waste of money this terminal is. Also the signs for driving into the airport car park are terrible. We have not been to T2 since lockdown and did not realise the road changes. So we ended up in the drop off area when we were actually trying to get to Multi storey car park East. Had to pay £5 for the privilege of driving through there only to return to the roundabout to see a small white sign with tiny arrows indicating where the car parks were. Good help any foreigners trying to find their way!
Date VisitOctober 2021

"does not care about customer service"

Trip Verified | Tui flight TOM 2623 landed from Palma at 15:47, my wife and I eventually received our two cases in T2 baggage handling at 17:20, a wait of 93 minutes, which, (considering there was only one other plane, from Tenerife, being unloaded at the same time) is completely unacceptable. The luggage when it eventually started to be delivered, appeared in dribs and drabs of 3-4 cases at a time with long periods of total inactivity, just what was going on? Needless to say there was no explanation provided for this prolonged delay, nor were there any handling agents available to enquire of. We were not the last to receive our luggage as there were 20-30 people still waiting after we left the baggage hall. I will in future choose either Liverpool or Leeds-Bradford to fly from as it appears that Manchester Airport Group just does not care about customer service, meeting acceptable service levels or communicating operational inefficiencies - I will vote with my feet !
Date VisitOctober 2021

"Bullying rude security staff"

Not Verified | Bullying rude security staff, horrible cramped queue in T1, shouted at and humiliated by a security man, left me in tears. I would rather not travel than use this horrible airport.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"Barbaric treatment!"

Not Verified | The worst experience of my life in T2! Arriving to my home country and city after a slightly delayed flight from Malta - first holiday in over 2 years to stand in a 2000 people deep, super spreader event queue for passport/border force control for almost 3 hours! There were only 4 passport control officers on duty! Herded like cattle, with no opportunity to social distance on a hot August day, sun beaming through large windows with no access to toilet or even water! So say customer service staff useless - how were they socially distancing the at least 5/6 flight loads of passengers? All mixing from our green to amber destinations - incredible! Barbaric treatment! Even though Manchester is my home town I cannot see my family and I travelling through this airport again!
Date VisitAugust 2021