Manchester Airport

"I was appalled by the rudeness of the security staff"

Not Verified | I've been flying from Manchester since the mid 80's and always found it the best in my region for the choice of destinations. I lived abroad for a number of years and recently returned to live in the UK. This was my first foreign trip from Manchester in 10 years and I was appalled by the rudeness of the security staff. I'm used to travelling with hand luggage only. Normally I pop my case on, take out my laptop, clear bag with liquids in and place them in a tray. I have it all down to a fine art. Now this time I had to put my laptop in one tray, my liquids in another and my cabin bag in another. My mother also ended up with two trays, so five between two of us. We then had to queue for ages to get through the one and only metal detector in that area and the staff were shouting at everyone to move quickly. At the other end a snotty woman was shouting at people to pick up their trays and take to the packing area. That's all very well when you just have one, but five, seriously. When trying frantically grab things and condense into one tray so I can carry it to the crowded packing are with no space, she's shouting at me saying 'It's not rocket science!' I've never been treated with such rudeness. I then had my case searched because of a tiny pair of fold up nail scissors which have been all over the world with me in 10 years with no issues. Doncaster Sheffield airport is 20 min from me where the staff treat you with respect and I've already booked my next hol from there. You can get to many popular holidays destinations from there and it's clean, modern and friendly. Why would I drive for two hours to be treated like a piece of dirt by people whose wages I'm paying? Just because they work on security they think it gives them carte blanche to be rude and unprofessional. With a lack of passengers due to covid, airlines cutting back on flights and cancelling holidays the staff should be welcoming passengers not driving them away. I can't honestly see Manchester still operating 3 terminals this time next year. Terminal one is also grubby and dated. I used to live in Manchester and loved it but having been back several times in the last year I've experienced nothing but rudeness at both the train stations and now the airport. No wonder I've heard people referring to it as the 'Nasty Northwest' lately. Heathrow must deal with millions more passengers every year and it's much more polite and professional.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"I’d rather drive 4 hours to Stansted"

Trip Verified | For years the security personnel at Manchester have been the worst in the world, rude, cocky, arrogant, confused, then after the lockdown in July they transformed they polite, knowledgeable and spoke to their customers (yes customers, our business pays their wages) live humans rather than like dogs. Then comes September, obviously fed up with being polite they are back, they all have different instructions have not got a clue and so arrogant and rude, I’d rather drive 4 hours to Stansted they should at least all bark the same instructions I’d sack the lot of them if they worked for me, absolute morons.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"Hope the pandemic causes a mindset change"

Not Verified | Must be the worst airport in the world, security treat people like dogs. Lounges are always full. Its the whole attitude of the staff. They have had it easy for years. Now that crunch time has come they may start to treat people like customers, in a friendly and happy manner. We are going on our holidays. We do not want to be abused by staff from start to finish. Its a dreadful experience. We pay your wages, we are on a hard earned break and you ruin the start of it. Its appalling. As far as the lounges go the staff are a disgrace. You feel lucky to get in any lounge even though you have paid an annual fee. Hope the pandemic causes a mindset change. The only nice people at Manchester are Jet2 staff. What a breath of fresh air to get to the Jet2 gate and the staff are so lovely. What a change.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"Utterly poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Security was absolutely shambolic. Travelling with family/children? Avoid like the plague. Especially security B. Post lockdown levels of passengers yet still a long queue as only one scanner open. By the way, security B is a maze of stairs and hidden lifts. I’m travelling alone with a toddler who will not leave my side during security yet it’s insisted I stand alone in the body scanner. Toddler leaves my side for no more than 5 seconds, and security staff grab her by the wrist and pulls her away from me in the scanner, whilst another coworker fails in his attempts at entertaining/distracting my toddler with a tray. Toddler freaks out with the woman grabbing her by the wrist and ends up getting extremely upset and clinging to my leg and screaming at the top of her lungs. I sternly ask her not to do that as she’s hurting and upsetting my already stressed child. She would not have grabbed an adult by the wrist and pulled like she did to my daughter, whilst my daughter panics and cries out for me. I ask if we can’t just go through the walk through scanner, and she says no - the rules are that if the body scanner is available I must be scanned in that, and that she’s just doing her job. So they finally decide to do a complete search instead. A supervisor turns up to hover but has nothing useful or comforting to say. When I tell her we were forced to go through the body scanner travelling alone with a child, the woman pipes up and says we weren’t forced to go through it. And says this repeatedly, contradicting me. However, I was certainly not offered a choice!! Meanwhile my daughter is begging and crying for her pacifier which is on the tray going through the bag scanner rolls eyes which I’d been asked to send through with the bags because it was bulging in my pocket. She pats me down. Then tells me she also needs to do the same to my daughter (having man handled her earlier). I explain to my daughter what’s about to happen (woman tries to tell my daughter she’s going to give her a tickle), woman looks to me for approval, and I tell her to just do it quickly and get it over with. A completely unnecessarily stressful experience with zero consideration nor respect for children. Utterly poor customer service.
Date VisitJuly 2020

"An amazing experience"

Not Verified | An amazing experience through Manchester, except security. Staff at security were shouting 'All liquids in bags' (super loud). Check-in and boarding was all good. Food was good too
Date VisitAugust 2019

"a very grubby space"

Trip Verified | Meet and greet parking location is nice and convenient but horrendous queues to drop off car keys in the terminal. Drab airport interior and this theme is continued around security processing with low ceilings and generally cramped queuing areas. Paid for fast track so skipped most of the lines, but a very grubby space. Gate areas are slightly better for space and light, but terrible seating choices and average washroom cleanliness. Not an airport to hang around in. On arrival, immigration kiosk queues were modest and baggage was quick. Baggage area toilets similarly weak appearance. Rather confusing system of automatic retrieval for car keys at meet and greet area but staff there to assist.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"Avoid this place like the plague"

Not Verified | The airport security team is the most horrid experience in all my travels. You literally have to take almost everything out of your bags. Anything with a cord, any liquid, all electronics. Oh and boots off but not any other shoe. So bizarre. We had like 12 bins with all our stuff taken out and a tiny area for everyone to repack. The security ladies are snarky and absolutely rude! If I can avoid this airport in the future I will at all costs. I made a comment to my husband how inefficient this security process was. Well big mistake because one of the ladies heard me and proceeded to rip me a new one for 5 minutes in front of my children. I even told her to stop talking to me like that in front of my kids and she said she is concerned with my behavior and what I will be like on the plane if I’m told something I don’t like. Really lady! Get a life. Never ever had this experience. Avoid this place like the plague if you can. I am mortified with the way they treat people.

"It was complete chaos"

Trip Verified | My partner and I have vowed never to use this airport again. I was expected to place my asthma inhalers in the liquids bag (they are powder) and put out my hair straighteners separately. No other airport does this. Security check staff were shambolic and incompetent, and also rude. The time from placing articles in the trays to leaving the security area was over an hour. My partner's trays were scanned and diverted to the additional check area. The member of staff asked the question "has anyone interfered with this tray since you packed it". Only the security staff had access to it! He then returned the trays to the scanner, one of which was again diverted. The tray with his coat was sent through. Another member of staff picked up the tray from the middle of the rapidly-filling conveyor and returned it to be put through the scanner again. This time the tray and contents were ok to be collected. All the time this was happening, two customer interviewers were completing interviews on their tablets themselves, without referring to customers. There were also Union people milling around with clipboards. It was complete chaos, with disgruntled customers hanging around waiting for their trays and the staff not doing their jobs. When one customer stated that no other airport in the UK goes through such measures, he was told "no other airport cares about your security".
Date VisitMarch 2020

"The absolute pits and a rip off"

(Gibraltar)

Trip Verified | The absolute pits and a rip off. I use MAN as my UK Hub every time I fly in/out, four times per year, in and out. I can almost excuse the deplorable Security Staff's rudeness. It must be a thankless task but they do give the impression of not caring how long they take. If they check a bag you get the full treatment at their pace. Camera out. Book out. Laptop already out. I tried to retrieve my handkerchief to deal with an incipient sneeze and actually got my hand slapped with the search wand. Really. Perhaps they wanted my germs? But that is not my chief gripe with this rip off. We pay a few bob in landing fees to use the place and they cannot even supply a trolley without stealing another quid off you. I know of no other airport that charges for luggage trolleys. It is not as though they are not making money from the forced march through acres of shops that create an obstacle course on your way to the gate. And to cap it all they are now removing any payphones that one can use to call friends and family to advise progress and arrange pick up. What a place. And they talk about a £1Bn improvement plan. Well I can tell them where they should spend that kind of money in providing a decent place to fly from. Seats. Signs and service to those paying for it. I can't say 'Never again' as sadly I need to use it to serve my travel needs.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"It gets worse every time"

Trip Verified | It gets worse every time I travel from Manchester airport. Security checks vary - shoes off, belts off, watches, pockets emptied of everything or a combination of the above. Today my bag was taken off the track and eventually we got it without swabbing! A random selection apparently. The swabbing team seem to delight in the anxiety caused. Not surprised to find that many others agree with me. Not been to a worse airport security set up.