Manchester Airport

"What a terrible airport"

Trip Verified | What a terrible airport. Is this the second UK airport? It feels like an Iron Curtain airport in the eighties. The staff are lacklustre and negative. The baggage security staff are rude and unhelpful. The building is pathetic. Imagine an important entrance to the building where the railway station is having a height restriction for pedestrians. On and along the pathways outside are grumpy staff with their cigarettes. Avoid if possible. I dread to think what it will be like for EU passport holders like myself after the UK leaves the EU.
Date VisitJune 2019

"I hate this airport with a passion"

Trip Verified | On Saturday 22nd June there was a major IT failure at Manchester. No surprise there - I hate this airport with a passion. It caused us to arrive back from Majorca 2 hours late and at 01.15 on Sunday morning there were still rows of suitcases waiting to be claimed. As we walked from the plane one of the moving walkways was out of action - that's usually the case I find. Then there are always lots of steps to negotiate. It's very unfortunate that it's our local airport but whenever we can we try to fly from Liverpool where the whole experience is so much better.
Date VisitJune 2019

"very overcrowded noisy and expensive"

Not Verified | I live near this airport and find it embarrassing having to apologise to people for their experience of it. It is hard to know were to start: Arrival and drop off (even at the station) is not only a rip off but incredibly inefficient. It can take 20 minutes of jostling to get out of the arrivals car park because it is so badly designed and chaotic. Independent taxi drivers in the area despair. The machines are often out of order so you also have to queue at the ones that are to be ripped off. The airport is a frequent source of delays on return flights at other airports due to IT breakdowns (last weekend), work to rule sessions, other IR disputes etc. On my most recent flight last weekend the pilot announced that they forgot to send a bus to take us to the terminal (on another occasion the stairs to disembark the passengers). A genuine customer service ethos in my experience is quite thin on the ground and you frequently encounter unnecessarily officious personnel. I did last weekend at baggage check on departure and border control on arrival. If you are planning on using the airport lounges, you need to book (and pay). On most visits I have not got into either of the terminal 1 lounges with a lounge pass card. They will put you are on a list but can give you no indication of when you might get a slot. This leaves the general waiting areas and restaurants which are usually very overcrowded noisy and expensive. I dread going there for any reason (picking somebody up, arriving or departing) and must acknowledge that the experience at Liverpool whilst not ideal is far less stressful.
Date VisitJune 2019

"airport is the worst airport anyone can endure"

Not Verified | After reading the latest disaster with the running of this airport and their failure with IT I am writing to confirm that as a regular traveller using this airport is the worst airport anyone can endure. This is purely down to extremely poor management of the airport and I would like to know just who one can write to in an effort to get the management changed and the airport back to a place that it was and a pleasure to use when travelling. I would certainly not use this airport if there was a choice to use any other airport nearer to home but Liverpool is a little further and does not fly to the airports near to my holiday home. I was disgusted to find that they now have an exclusive chauffeur service with exclusive lounge, if anybody from management reads this review may I suggest that the basics of running an airport for the benefit of customers is something which has been forgotten. Customers more often than not have no choice but to use this airport and management do not listen to complaints. Just who oversees the running of this airport?

"Everything looks cheap"

Not Verified | This is perhaps the most painful and horrible airport I've ever experienced in Europe (and I've even been to Exeter International!). From the moment you enter, paid access to drop off? Besides being extremely cheap and outrageous, you would think it would reflect in a good airport, right? Wrong. Everything looks cheap, worse than Tegel in Berlin. We're talking about the second airport in the UK, is unacceptable how bad everything is. Horrible quality of shops, the most outdated security control, the rudest staff ever, full of incompetent divas who clearly do not understand what traveling means. They force you to fit all the liquids in a bag which clearly is sampler than any other provided worldwide, ever when international regulations says you're allowed to bring up to 1L as long as it on recipients under 100ML, not at the Manchester Airport, they want to be special, plus they want to argue with you and terrorise with the fact you might lose your flight. It's painful just to think how everything is so bad. But clearly the staff is the worst, if the airport is simple, you get over it, but making the whole process traumatic and a pain before flying, is an absurd. I would love to have the option of not flying there, but unfortunately is impossible, as KLM doesn't fly to Liverpool anymore. Brits are not the greatest on service, we get that, but follow the international rules, even in New York is easier, and everyone knows how neurotic and obsessed North Americans are, but the Brits want to feel special and be different. Be at your house, an airport is an international ambience, be normal. 1 is way too much of a rating.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Passport booths need to be looked at"

Trip Verified | Just passed through Manchester T2 using new terminal. It says 15 mins walk, well maybe it takes Usain Bolt 15 mins but not me. It took nearly double that. Yes I know the travel walk ways are not yet finished but even when they are they will be like the old ones "not working due to maintenance". Passport booths need to be looked at as well. My husband’s passport never works at Manchester but does at Heathrow, San Francisco, Sydney, Wellington. He has even had it checked at Liverpool passport office who have confirmed that it is ok. Judging by the number of people who’s passports didn’t work there is definitely a problem at Manchester.

"Management need sacking"

Not Verified | Staff have a disgusting attitude especially at passport control need customer service training. Came through Sunday 16/6/19. Outside drop off / pick up total chaos. I really feel cannot use this airport again. Management need sacking.
Date VisitJune 2019

"the worst airport in the UK"

Trip Verified | Manchester is the worst airport in the UK, in my experience. Information is scant and poorly shown, staff are rude and uncaring (particularly security staff). Cafes and bathrooms are dirty and everything is squished together so that it is difficult to move. I have not yet had a good experience here, unlike other UK airports. I hope I don’t have to use Manchester again.

"airport from hell"

Trip Verified | I have flown three times between Aberdeen and Manchester over the past five weeks for cancer treatment. On arrival I have walked to the airport railway station. Almost all of the escalators and moving walkways between T3 and the station have been out of operation for more than a month. This is simply ludicrous. The signs about 'essential maintenance' and similar are telling blatant lies. Flying from T3 has been an ordeal every time. The place is always overcrowded, with few places to sit; the food on offer from most of the outlets is substandard; the toilets have such narrow access that people can't pass each other and folk with wet hands can't reach the hot-air (in some cases cold-air) dryers because of the stream of incoming passengers. The 'free WiFi' doesn't connect to the internet, and the airport seems to have excluded the usual wifi service providers (e.g. O2 etc.) from its premises. Water on sale is ridiculously expensive and there are no simple water fountains provided for passengers to assuage their thirst. This is a crucial point: we are not permitted to carry our own water to airside through security, so any airport should be obliged to provide readily accessible drinking water in the departure lounge; otherwise they're just running an extortion racket in consort with the airport shops. Security at Manchester is consistently of a more stringent order than anywhere else in the UK. They are clearly determined never to have a terrorist pass through their gates, but they seem not to appreciate the effect the associated hostile attitude of security staff has on the 99.999% of innocent people who have merely dared to travel by air. Today the T3 security team reached a new peak of objectionability for me personally. I have had surgery that obliges me to wear a colostomy pouch. The new body scanners at Manchester Airport picked this up (they can also apparently detect even a linen handkerchief in a pocket). I was taken to a private room where I was obliged to show my colostomy to the security staff, to lift the colostomy pouch so the staff could see underneath, then to have my hands swabbed for residues of explosive. I would have been delighted for the staff to sample the contents of my colostomy pouch by mouth, but that was not something they volunteered to do. The bottom line is that Manchester is an airport from hell, and I resent ever being obliged to travel from it. With the new body-scanning machines poised to replace the old metal detectors, the staff are going to be working overtime embarrassing innocent customers with false-positive scans.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Extortion and complete stress"

Not Verified | Well done Manchester Airport, You've Just put me off flying/package holidays for good. I'd rather drive to Europe from now on. Extortion and complete stress for a kind friend dropping us off, stress and humiliation at security being spoken to like a naughty child! Oppressive sales walking through the duty free area which is more expensive than buying online! then the same extortion being picked up. Our friend got it wrong and drove through the drop off area to pick up at T3, literally no more than 60 seconds from entering to the pay barrier, £100 fine dropped to £25 upon arguing. Absolute disgrace, providing a service? I think not. Never again. I wonder what the likes of Tui and Thomas Cook think of putting off their customers from flying.