Manchester Airport

"it took 50 minutes to go through security"

Not Verified | I would like to take this opportunity to warn other passengers of the stress and time it takes to go through security in Manchester UK airport. Was flying today from Manchester - Belfast and it took 50 minutes to go through security in turn meant that 10 passengers missed their flight. This is certainly not the first time I have had this issue at the airport. When queuing for security, I notified one of the security staff that my flight was boarding and they informed me that there was time and it would be ok. When I got to the scanner, the system broke down and had to be transferred to another unit. This airport is a shambles and I cannot believe it is allowed to continue. When finally reaching the departure gate to be told the flight had closed, the Easyjet staff were equally ignorant. Their single line was "Security of the airport is nothing to do with Easyjet". It is only unbelievable.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"One of the worst airports I have ever experienced"

(Latvia)

Not Verified | One of the worst airports I have ever experienced. Even if you arrive in time 2+ hours before the flight you still can miss your flight. They can't handle people. Security is very poor as well! I travel few times a month via various airports so I have something to compare.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"absolutely extortionate parking charges"

Not Verified | Appalling. Ridiculous parking system, absolutely extortionate parking charges, and over-priced drinks. Rude, unhelpful staff and nothing that would pass for anything like "customer service". Painfully slow WiFi that they have the audacity to charge for, long queues for everything from check in, to security, to boarding, and the decor and ambiance of a 1970s prison. The worst airport I have ever had the misfortune of arriving in or departing from and an utter disgrace to the United Kingdom. If it were possible to give 0/10, I would.
Date VisitJune 2021

"Mouse or was it a Rat?"

Not Verified | Mouse or was it a Rat? Carrying on the theme of Manchester Airport being unclean: Every time I have to fly from Manchester I notice how appallingly grubby it is, (not to mention the travelators which are rarely ever all working on the same day!) with accumulated grime in many locations. But one visit stands out above all others - when climbing the stairs from the toilets near the departure gate, I was rather surprised to see something small and furry running on the step above, a baby rodent! Quite unbelievable to find a mouse in a UK international airport terminal. Two girls descending screamed and I immediately looked for a staff member, I found a 'large' bloke in a hi-viz vest sitting scoffin' his 'scran' who casually replied: 'Yeah, they're all over mate - the place is infested with 'em, they're in the roof!' Then continued to eat - never even got up to look or report it! I later googled images of young rodents, I have a horrible feeling it was a baby rat! Manchester Airport takes no notice of complaints - one employee told me in hushed tones to contact the local mayor Andy Burnham as according to him the council considerably subsides the operation. Maybe I will.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"It all feels very uneasy and unpleasant"

Not Verified | On arrival you get hit by charges. Pay to park for the covid test, pay to drop off, pay pay pay. No idea where that money is funneled, certainly not in keeping the place tidy as the airport is sad and dirty. It's covid, so most of the departure area is understandably closed. However, it also means all departure passengers are cattled around three rows of seats. Despite the loudspeakers telling us every five minutes that masks must be worn at all times and that security check, many passengers aren't wearing their mask. It all feels very uneasy and unpleasant.
Date VisitApril 2021

"filthiness, over-commercialisation"

Trip Verified | Unfortunately this is my nearest major airport, so I have little choice but to use it. But Manchester Airport never fails to set new standards for its filthiness, over-commercialisation, and rip-off charges at all stages - parking especially. As a major gateway to the UK, the airport creates a disgracefully poor image for the UK. Compared to other major regional airport in comparable countries - take your pick of modern, spotless airports throughout Europe - Manchester Airport is a national embarrassment due to slovenly and greedy management. In normal times Manchester Airport makes several hundred million pounds of profit per year - enough to not fleece passengers for car parking (or even just dropping off - there’s no way to avoid the charges), and enough to maintain basic hygiene. For me, there is no worse Airport in the world.
Date VisitMarch 2021

"horrified by the treatment of the security staff"

Trip Verified | I am horrified by the treatment of the security staff. They kept me waiting for literally 1 whole hour just unpacking my whole suitcase, checking each one of my make up products, going over every single part of my suitcase, grabbing my toothbrush and swabbing it, as if they had never seen a toothbrush before. They just seemed to enjoy making a big deal out of absolutely every product within my bag, then said that products like toothbrushes and phone chargers need rechecking. I almost lost my flight due to their incompetence and rudeness. They did the same to a very old couple just ahead of me, the old lady having to sit down while his husband had to repack both their suitcases. Absolutely appalling behaviour from the staff at Manchester airport, I had already heard bad reviews and experiences by this was just a joke. I will try to avoid travelling from Manchester at all costs.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"I was appalled by the rudeness of the security staff"

Not Verified | I've been flying from Manchester since the mid 80's and always found it the best in my region for the choice of destinations. I lived abroad for a number of years and recently returned to live in the UK. This was my first foreign trip from Manchester in 10 years and I was appalled by the rudeness of the security staff. I'm used to travelling with hand luggage only. Normally I pop my case on, take out my laptop, clear bag with liquids in and place them in a tray. I have it all down to a fine art. Now this time I had to put my laptop in one tray, my liquids in another and my cabin bag in another. My mother also ended up with two trays, so five between two of us. We then had to queue for ages to get through the one and only metal detector in that area and the staff were shouting at everyone to move quickly. At the other end a snotty woman was shouting at people to pick up their trays and take to the packing area. That's all very well when you just have one, but five, seriously. When trying frantically grab things and condense into one tray so I can carry it to the crowded packing are with no space, she's shouting at me saying 'It's not rocket science!' I've never been treated with such rudeness. I then had my case searched because of a tiny pair of fold up nail scissors which have been all over the world with me in 10 years with no issues. Doncaster Sheffield airport is 20 min from me where the staff treat you with respect and I've already booked my next hol from there. You can get to many popular holidays destinations from there and it's clean, modern and friendly. Why would I drive for two hours to be treated like a piece of dirt by people whose wages I'm paying? Just because they work on security they think it gives them carte blanche to be rude and unprofessional. With a lack of passengers due to covid, airlines cutting back on flights and cancelling holidays the staff should be welcoming passengers not driving them away. I can't honestly see Manchester still operating 3 terminals this time next year. Terminal one is also grubby and dated. I used to live in Manchester and loved it but having been back several times in the last year I've experienced nothing but rudeness at both the train stations and now the airport. No wonder I've heard people referring to it as the 'Nasty Northwest' lately. Heathrow must deal with millions more passengers every year and it's much more polite and professional.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"I’d rather drive 4 hours to Stansted"

Trip Verified | For years the security personnel at Manchester have been the worst in the world, rude, cocky, arrogant, confused, then after the lockdown in July they transformed they polite, knowledgeable and spoke to their customers (yes customers, our business pays their wages) live humans rather than like dogs. Then comes September, obviously fed up with being polite they are back, they all have different instructions have not got a clue and so arrogant and rude, I’d rather drive 4 hours to Stansted they should at least all bark the same instructions I’d sack the lot of them if they worked for me, absolute morons.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"Hope the pandemic causes a mindset change"

Not Verified | Must be the worst airport in the world, security treat people like dogs. Lounges are always full. Its the whole attitude of the staff. They have had it easy for years. Now that crunch time has come they may start to treat people like customers, in a friendly and happy manner. We are going on our holidays. We do not want to be abused by staff from start to finish. Its a dreadful experience. We pay your wages, we are on a hard earned break and you ruin the start of it. Its appalling. As far as the lounges go the staff are a disgrace. You feel lucky to get in any lounge even though you have paid an annual fee. Hope the pandemic causes a mindset change. The only nice people at Manchester are Jet2 staff. What a breath of fresh air to get to the Jet2 gate and the staff are so lovely. What a change.
Date VisitJuly 2020