Manchester Airport

"Queuing times were abominable"

Not Verified | Queuing times were abominable on 9 April in T3. The staff member I spoke to said the queues were because passengers were not heeding the advice to have items ready for screening. But it was obvious that there simply were not enough screening channels open for the volume of passengers. The screening process itself got no better. The x-ray scan showed up four areas of concern on my body, which resulted in a very thorough frisking. I don't have any qualms or objections to the need for the level of security screening required, but for some reason, the experience in Manchester Airport always seems to feel more invasive and unpleasant. By comparison, the screening in Dublin on my return was no less thorough, but the experience felt a world away from Manchester, less invasive, less unpleasant and more humane. The airport environment does nothing to redeem the experience, if I could avoid travelling through Manchester Airport I would.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Staff rude and unfriendly"

Trip Verified | On the 10th April 2019 my sister and I travelled to Malta to celebrate her 50th. We arrived at Manchester Airport to check in to what looked like a cattle market. Staff were rude and unfriendly and we were shunted from queue to queue with only pointing from staff as to where we should be. After placing her belongings in the trays for inspection the security officer demanded that she pick up the tray and pass it over to him. He could clearly see she was on a walking stick and had mobility problems. When she reminded him of this he just repeated the word “ tray” at her and repeatedly waved his hands at her. Baring in mind he was closer to the trays than she was. She was completely ignored and humiliated. I am absolutely disgusted with the way she and others were treated. Some families didn’t speak much English and they were talked at in the same manner. Utterly disgraceful
Date VisitApril 2019

"one of the worst airports"

Not Verified | Manchester Airport is one of the worst airports I had to use and I travel a lot. Staff are most certainly inconsiderate and in many cases rude, security check is terrible, I’ve never had some of my items I fly with regularly scanned so many times. My DSLR camera was placed in the basket for re-scan (despite not being told to pull it out of the protective bag before first scan) and it rolled down the basket as it was coming down the line! They security staff is rude and exert their power and are most unfriendly people I have ever had to deal with when travelling through the airports. The queues are long, it’s hard to find your way around, there are people wondering around everywhere not knowing where to go and no one is helping them to find their way. Even at security fast track I was moved down 5 lanes before they finally allowed me to start getting through, even thought I told them I had little time, they made nothing of it. The terminals are packed, there is no way to run through it to catch your flight as there are people everywhere and not enough room to walk between chairs. On the way back at least the stuff was fine, but the pick up car park token charged us three times and still didn’t let us through, until we called an operator who was for once helpful and let us out (rightly so if we had to pay £14.00 for 3 minute pick up stay!). If you really have to travel form there, I recommend to be at least 3-4 hours early, as there is a lot you’ll have to go through before you catch your flight, and most of it won’t be pleasant. I will be avoiding flying from there as much as I can.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"should be treated with respect"

Trip Verified | I was travelling with my elderly parents. One with wheelchair assistance and the other part sighted. Having checked our bags in, we proceeded to the lift which takes us to the security check. On reaching the security level, I realised that I had left a bag on the trolley at the side of the lift. I immediately took the lift back down, only to be met by the rudest, most arrogant middle aged security man in a suit. He was incredibly bad mannered and made me feel like a criminal for leaving the bag. He told me that the bag had to be scanned and out of spite and self importance, he decided to punish me by telling the Woman with the scanner to go away and return in 15 to 20 minutes. At one time I touched him on the shoulder and he shouted that I had assaulted him. My parents joined me while he played his little power game. Eventually the scanner slowly strolled back, they nodded to each other and left without a word. While I understand and recognise the importance of security, Airport customers should be treated with a bit of respect and these security people should not be allowed to abuse their position. I have to mention that on our return, the airport staff could not have been more helpful in assisting my parents all the way to the baggage reclaim and I thank for that.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"terminal is dated and dirty"

Trip Verified | I agree with the earlier review. This airport has become the epitome of the ‘hostile environment’. Travel to and from the airport is made as difficult and expensive as possible. There is little space to secure motorbikes or cycles either and the only space now is outside the station which is as far away from the terminals as possible. The security staff in contrast to most European airports I visit are clueless and rude and it takes two or three times as long to get through. The terminal is dated and dirty with long distances between drop off and departure gates. If there was a pattern for getting the customer experience completely wrong this would be it.
Date VisitApril 2019

"worst airport in the world"

Trip Verified | This airport is outrageously bad and is getting worse every time I travel from here. Staff are inconsiderate and incompetent at their job. Security is an absolute joke. Two security checks open for an entire terminal, not sure who approved that. Waiting times are insanely long, only to then mostly experience delays in the flights and being made to wait outside for the plane to pull up in the freezing wind. Stairs everywhere, completely ignoring the fact that there is families and elderly people travelling who might need help carrying luggage up and down the stairs or even walking up and down the stairs. NEVER not once have I seen airport staff offer help in those cases, because they are not even there. Honestly worst airport in the world probably, you are treated like an inconvenience rather than a customer. Would give -10 stars if I could.

"steadily getting worse"

Not Verified | This airport is steadily getting worse. The size of the security area is now cramped into the downstairs with long wait times and totally clueless staff. It seems to me the airport has its priorities wrong with a tiny cramp security section however there is lots of room available for shop and food outlets. Once though security the experience is improved however this airport now looks outdated and seating area is limited. I think now Manchester is the worst airport in the UK, I hope this improves soon.
Date VisitApril 2019

"The priorities are totally wrong"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Going through security and then through the retail area, trying to get to a flight was like something out of Dante. The priorities are totally wrong, acres of real estate devoted to retail, after a cramped, under equipped, under-staffed security. Everyone knows that Manchester has had some horror terrorist incidents, so no sane person could object to proper security, but some airports do make an effort to make the process less unpleasant then others. But not Manchester. There is almost no space to prepare for security: remove a belt - get your phones, wallet, watch etc into a jacket. You do this while in a long queue. You then compete for space at the crates, with no control on keeping a single passenger's crates together. At the other end it's chaos, and if your bag need searching its worse- anything up to a 30-minute wait. The staff are officious but no more so than most - in fact they were pretty good, but if I were entrusted with a serious task like theirs in those surroundings and with that equipment, I'd walk off the job. Once you are through you still have to go endure a tortuous winding course through the retail section, tripling or quadrupling the distance from security to gate - infuriating if security has already made you late. This is by far the worst so-called first-world airport that we have experienced. Avoid if possible.
Date VisitApril 2019

"incapable of delivering services"

Trip Verified | I am unfortunate have to travel out of Manchester airport on business about twice a month. I always fly business class which includes fast track security and baggage handling. The airport seems incapable of delivering on these services. The security fast track takes as long, if not longer, as the standard entrance and I have yet to receive my baggage first off the plane.

"absolute bedlam"

Not Verified | Picked up my friends last night after their 10 hour flight and had to endure the new pick up car park, 10 minute walk each way and absolute bedlam, cars moving everywhere with people trying to negotiate around them this is an accident waiting to happen. The airport really has to have rethink on people’s safety and perhaps customers but then no money in that is there. I think Liverpool is a far better arrangement for picking friends/relatives up