Manchester Airport

"airport is simply not fit for purpose"

Trip Verified | Absolutely terrible airport. Not fit for purpose. Flew to CPH from MAN and flew back to MAN before I took my flight back home to Australia from MAN. Also flew to and from STR from MAN. So I have passed through MAN a total of six times in six weeks! I should have known better actually after my first experience but the destinations in Europe I was flying to did not have direct flights from any other airport. Where do I even begin? The airport is simply not fit for purpose. The staff are rude, the facilities are appalling and everything costs money. I mean I haven't been to any other airport on the planet that charges money for pick-up and drop-off (GBP 3 to pick up passengers and GBP 4.50 to drop-off passengers). I travel a lot and I haven't seen this in even the remotest African airports. And those airports are in a much better condition than MAN. I understand security is an issue and the staff are only being cautious, but for goodness sake they need to use some common sense. My bag was rejected every single time because I had bought a model aircraft (made of die-cast metal) and apparently this was causing some issue with the scanner. So my bag was ripped apart, contents scattered everywhere and even after visually inspecting the model, they sent my bag to be re-scanned. I passed through STR, ZRH and CPH airports with the same bag containing the same model aircraft without any issues, but apparently in MAN they cannot seem to understand what a scale-model die-cast model aircraft looks like. Also, staff are rude and unpleasant to deal with. No attempts are made at any pleasantries or even acknowledging a simple hello. And what do they do with all the money they collect from passengers and people using the car parks and drop-off and pick up zones? The airport facilities are in a terrible state. Toilets are filthy, leaking and unpleasant. The lounge facilities are woefully inadequate (they were turning people away from the Aspire Lounge in T2 because it was full, even though there were seats in between) and they demand you show your boarding pass for everything. I bought a cadbury chocolate (99p) and was asked to show my boarding pass. In short - this is a terrible airport, with inadequate facilities, expensive, filthy, and full of rude staff who do not care about passengers who actually use this dreadful airport. Six times is enough for me, will never use this airport again. Even LHR was better.

"the worst UK airport"

Not Verified | Beware! £25 for dropping paying passengers off, couple of minutes over the 10 minute rule and they hit you with this extortion. No obvious warning signs! Manchester is the worst UK airport, use Leeds or Liverpool instead.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"a long time standing up"

Not Verified | Security is disorganized with long lines at non peak times. Parking ridiculously expensive for pick up and drop off of passengers. Very few seats for departure gates meaning a long time standing up.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"not received any communication from anyone"

Trip Verified | I recently lost my wallet on my outbound EasyJet flight. It contained many important licenses, personal documents and money. EasyJet then contacted my employer, Lancashire fire and rescue service, to say they had found my wallet and with the details inside were able to contact someone to acknowledge this. We were told it would be available to collect at the EasyJet information desk straight away. I then went to the desk on my return to the UK a few days later and they had no knowledge of the wallet, they told me to then go to lost property. I then went to this desk and they told me they also had no knowledge of the wallet. Security of Lost property informed us he had spoken to someone in operations. After several attempts and emails to EasyJet and lost property in Manchester airport we have not received any communication from anyone. This wallet has very important licenses in and is now becoming concerning that we are unable to locate it? Also the terrible costumer service of EasyJet.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"queues at Passport control were horrendous"

Not Verified | Appalling place! Usually travel to and from Scotland’s airports but as airline transferred its service to Crete from Scotland we had to use Manchester. The queues at Passport control were horrendous. A number of flights had arrived at once and it took an hour to get through with one staff member and four scanners in operation. On arrival in the building there were two steep flights of stairs, lift only available for wheelchair users, in fit and I struggled, why no escalator? The same once we left customs to get down to ground level with luggage, no escalator and no working lift. The airport was dirty and I felt ashamed that visitors to my country should experience such discomforts.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"What an absolute dump of an airport"

Trip Verified | What an absolute dump of an airport! If this is the first sight travellers get when arriving in England they must think they have arrived in a third world country. Everywhere is filthy, today there was no running water at the hand wash basins in the toilet and Starbucks had no water either. How can every lift smell of urine?, I had to use it again to make sure I wasn’t mistaken. From the poorly positioned direction signs from the car park to the terminal over broken tarmac which does its best to wreck your luggage, to the sick on the seat in the departure lounge, you keep thinking “can it get any worse?” and it does. I needed a boarding card to buy a Snickers bar (99p). There is a sign near the entrance which says “gateway to the north” you poor northerners, if the whole of the north had to have an enema, they would surely insert the tube through Manchester airport. It made me embarrassed to be British if this is the best we can do. Finally, if you are in any way disabled, avoid this place I was treated like a nuisance not a customer.

"very unprofessional"

Not Verified | Me and my husband had brought a cabin case as a last-minute decision after weighing our cases. I transferred some items and without realising added a toiletries bag. We had gone through security and waiting for our bags I noticed the cabin case rejected at first puzzled then realised my mistake. A member of staff (female) called out for the owner of the case the asked me to open it when she came across the toiletries made sarcastic comments about the items ie "oh you didn't want to check your items in and there are signs are everywhere". I tried to explain I genuinely made a mistake as it was a last-minute decision to bring the case. I really do understand they have a job to do and how serious this is but this woman was going over the top with her big sighs and "for god sake" comments. I agreed to let her throw the items in the bin. As she was putting the items into the different boxes I saw her gossip and make comment to another member of staff. I was absolutely fuming how she treated us it was more like she was enjoying it but as this was a security department I had no choice to not say anything. I know the end of the day I was at fault but I wasn't the only one made the mistake but from witnessing other members of staff doing their job this lady was very unprofessional.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"the worst that I visit"

Not Verified | I travel extensively across the world so have experienced good and bad airports. Manchester Airport is the worst that I visit. So here's a number of highlights of my most recent visit: 1) Typically when you land you get an indication of what airport and what terminal you are in. Its actually pretty useful so that you might be able to, you know, order a taxi. Manchester Airport - Fail. It would not even be too difficult to remedy this, but they spend more on figuring out how to extract cash from passengers, but that leads and is linked to the next point. 2) Not only are they profiteering by having extortionate pickup and drop off charges, but actually Manchester Airport appears to be cynically trying to add to this cash by making the signage infuriatingly difficult. As a passenger being picked up at terminal 3, the signs tell you to cross the road into the car park into the multistory, then turn left but once outside there are no subsequent signs to tell you to turn right. Add to this the surly staff makes it impossible to figure out where you need to be. I asked one of the Parking Enforcement people how to get to the pick up area, his response, and I quote "Its not my job to tell people how to get to the pickup areas". No you just slap the £100 fine on if people get it wrong because the signs are so bad. 2a) My taxi driver was new and only by chance I mentioned to him not to go to the drop-off point but the pickup point, which itself is badly sign posted, and the exit is frustratingly difficult to find. Result and additional £1 because we were over the 4 mins. 3) Baggage took 20 minutes before they even turned on the carousel, that is actually pretty quick for Manchester!
Date VisitOctober 2019

"security staff were very rude and extremely unfriendly"

Trip Verified | My wife, baby and I arrived well over two and a half hours ahead of our scheduled departure. My wife's bags were rejected from security because of baby food. The bags were sent back to be screened three or four times which was very time-consuming. In the end, the food was confiscated leading to the baby being distressed later. My wife speaks very little English and could not defend herself. I was being examined elsewhwere so that I could not come to her assistance. We flew from Hamburg with no problems and we travelled to Turkey this year and we had no problem having baby food in our hand luggage. The security staff were very rude to us and extremely unfriendly. Terminal 3 security is obviously understaffed. We went to the gate as soon as the number was displayed but the gate was closed, although the steps to the plane were still there and the door open. we were taken down to retrieve our luggage, which took at least 15 minutes, all the time the steps being there with the door to the plane open but were were not allowed inside, we had our boarding cards but still we were refused entry, By this time our baby was crying and we had no food for her. Ryanair staff were very unfriendly too and not helpful at all. They even gave the impression they enjoyed sending us away. We had to stay at the airport for another 8 hours before flying to Hamburg via Düsseldorf with Eurowings. 2 new tickets cost us 382 pounds. The experience was very distressing and we had no offer of help from Ryanair, on the contrary I phoned them twice but still no offer of help. I logged onto their live chat and got just an automated answer. Terminal 3 is a disgrace for Manchester.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"customer service atrocious"

Trip Verified | Our party of 6 were all in agreement (as was another couple behind) that the customer service agents bar 1 in terminal 1 departures at approx 3.30am 2 October was atrocious! They were stood around talking, despite a number of travellers struggling to use what to us were newly installed easyjet self baggage. They spoke to a number of travellers as though they were a hinderance. In particular, a man stood at what was signposted 'security' just kept jabbing his finger towards another area and telling us to move along! No explanation was given! The difference when we arrived in Lanzarote was so apparent that they value customer service. What should have been a great start to our holiday was so marred by their what can only be described as 'sour' faces. I really hope that the powers that be at Manchester airport take on board our criticisms and roll out a programme of retraining for their customer service agents. If they aren't happy in their work (which was so apparent this morning) they should be replaced.