Luton Airport

"An insult to London"

Trip Verified | An insult to London. This airport should not be allowed to call itself London Luton as it is an appalling introduction for overseas visitors to all that London has to offer. Departed easyjet flight to Mahon last week - returned 6th October. Minicab drop off £3. Trolley an unreturnable £2. Minicab pickup £8. So on a return flight Luton is £10 more expensive than Heathrow. On top of that you have a long walk in the rain to and from the terminal. On return you have to wait an hour in an off peak period to collect your baggage. Little Mahon airport has extendable walkways to the plane. At Luton you have to use rickety old steps. One airport employee told me that the airport authorities only concentrate on the retail side and do not care about the passengers. My wife has said that she would not go on holiday if Luton was the only available airport.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"15 e-pass gates and 5 open"

Trip Verified | Departure - well this was smooth and well organised until push back and take off. We arrived in good time as we had allowed for the normal delays in central London and on the M1 to the airport has we had used the coach from Baker Street. The departure and check in areas are well signed and easy to find. We did pay for Priority just in case of delays. But there was no queues at security. The staff were professional and polite with a greeting of enjoy your holiday. The prices in the cafes and food outlets are reasonable and there is a good selection to chose from. Once at the gate boarding was slick and we were given a chance has the flight was full to having our cabin bags placed in the hold has priority bags which we did, however not enough people took up the offer and were given no choice at the aircraft steps. Once we were pushed back and on the way to the runway the Captain was informed of a 30 minute delay and we were parked on a remote stand. Arrival - again we had a delay due to the aircraft which was been used been late from its morning trip however we were only 15 minutes late on to a remote stand. But it took 30 minutes for the steps and coach to arrive at the aircraft. A full A320 has at a guess maybe 140 passengers. However the Ground handlers appeared with one set of steps and a bendy bus to disembark the aircraft. So it took twice as long for us to get to the terminal. Passport Control - well 15 e-pass gates at the airport and 5 open! This meant that there was a queue at the Non EU, EU and Epass desks. The epass queue was compounded by families who do not understand the children have to go via the normal desks. Apart from the queues we were out within 30 minutes an hour after landing. We did hear that it took over 2 hours to get though the non EU control point. Terminal - there was overnight building work been undertaken but there were plenty of signs warning of the work. However, staff were at hand to help people. The cleaners had decided to close both sets of toilets at the same time due a builder using their wet floor sign but when an old lady spoke a member of the staff they soon reopened the other one and recovered the missing wet floor signs. The bus station is well sign and there are staff who you can ask for directions. Once all the building work and refurbishment is complete no doubt the bad press will cease.

"Security totally diabolical"

Trip Verified | Pre booked parking in mid stay. After 20 minutes driving around verified that there were no spaces. Told by customer service to go to multi storey and they would honour my booking. Check in bad but that wasn't airports fault. Security was then totally diabolical. Only 10 per cent of scanners working and they seemed to be temporary. Limited packing space and 20 minute wait. Utter rubbish.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"the worst airport I have ever used"

Not Verified | Quite simply the worst airport I have ever used. Have travelled extensively and never have I seen an airport less fit for purpose than this. Disorganised, dirty, badly laid out, under resourced and over crowded. I would pay double to fly from anywhere else.

"Third world experience"

Trip Verified | Third world experience. No cover when leaving plane so get soaked. Long, long wait at passport control. Endless wait at suitcase retrival - 1 hour. No information and nobody cares anyway. Final insult get drenched again walking long distance outside for pick up by taxi. I will never use this airport again. Just 2 weeks ago I used Southend which was great and worth the extra drive.

"dreadfully inefficient system"

Trip Verified | My wife and I have been flying from Luton Airport for many years and I'm sad to say even with all the improvements that are going on the fundamental process of security is very floored. When you put your kit into the trays for checking there can be a large amount of time passing until you receive your items at the end of the roller conveyor. This is in no small part due to other people pushing theirs in front of yours whilst your is left unsupervised. I today waited 15 minutes for mine to come through after I passed through the body scanner. Also the conveyer exit is so small the trays get held up and there is a backlog where the X-Ray operator sits idle until the trays start to flow again. This is probably the 10th time this has happened and the excuse that 'we are continuing to improve services' is nonsense as this is a fixed operating system. The staff will tell you that they are watching the trays which is also nonsense as I would have had plenty of time to steal anyone's goods that were in front of me waiting for their respective owners to collect the items. It's also fascinating to see that there is no 'how was your experience in customs today' buttons on the final exit area for passengers. In other words a great way to hide the figures of disgruntled passengers of which there were many today. I have to say this will be the last flight I book with Luton Airport after 20+ years of using it. I sincerely hope other passengers view this and also boycott this airport which may somehow pursuade the owners and managers to change this dreadfully inefficient system. I can see that they do this to use less staff. I'm guessing they will need less staff if people decide not to use the airport. A shame but there it is. Change it or lose customers!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"parking signage is very poor"

Not Verified | Picked up my daughter from the airport and her flight was slightly delayed. I was in the pickup area for about 30 minutes and was charged a mere £25 for the privilege. As other people have pointed out the airport parking signage is very poor. Despite the appearance of constant “construction” everything feels temporary and the pickup area is not even that close to the terminal. Look forward to being confused, overcharged and poorly catered for and the construction will apparently go on for years to come! The pricing scheme for pickup is £3 for the first 10 minutes and then £1 per minute there after. There is a short stay car park if you can find it and escape the road that funnels you into the pickup payment zone. There are also lovely signs on the edge of the airport warning you that you are now entering a payment zone! Before today’s pickup, I thought the airport was rubbish but now - well it’s still rubbish! A few days ago I picked my wife from Heathrow, which was an entirely different experience. We decided to have a coffee and were there for nearly an hour, total cost - £7 well done Heathrow!

"a game of two halves"

Not Verified | In football terms, a game of two halves! Departures? OK I go to Malta monthly with hand luggage only so don't have the shenanigans of checked luggage. But bar the outside of the terminal (shambles and far from easy on the eye) the whole deal is seamless. Security is ok, can get busy but no fuss. Vast array of shops if that's your thing, although with names like Chanel or Hugo Boss couple with Ryanair/Easy-jet or Whizz-air doubt the tills will be ringing much! Large new Boots with helpful staff and prices on a par with high street. Burger King has been done up and at £7.59 for a Whopper Meal pricey but not extortionate. Beer prices can't say as I tend to save it for after the flight. So all in all not too bad indeed rather nice. Arrivals? Joke! Honestly anymore than 2 planes arriving at the same time and the place descends into chaos. Queues going all round the corridors with "Welcome To London" poster up (Luton is in Bedfordshire) and ghastly photo's of people having "fun". No toilets as you queue. No tannoy announcements. Nightmare. Indeed it needn't be. They have state of the art machines to scan my type of passport and they are great. They must have 12-15 of these. Takes seconds. So why the chaos? Who knows. So to conclude Luton is good going out. Bad coming home. But if like me you don't want to come home/back to work then doesn't matter too much in fact the décor usually matches my mood!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"polite friendly and helpful"

Trip Verified | For our departure, we planned and allowed for the expected delays for the trip up to Luton from Kent and arrived on good time for our early afternoon flight to Crete. Having read reviews on this site and online we expected a few problems but we were surprised how easy to trip from the coach station to the terminal was. There was plenty of signage directing you to the check in desks and bag drops and to the security checks abeit temporary signs. We had priority security and for the small extra cost, I think it is good value for money. The Security staff were polite friendly and helpful. Once though security you have the normal experience of the Duty Free Shopping mail, but unlike Gatwick and other airport it is a low key selling approach at the airport. There was plenty of food outlets and a good range of places to eat and plenty of places to sit. When the flight was called again the gates are well signposted, boarding was slick and quick with both doors been used on the aircraft. However the flight was given a 30 minute delay after push back from the stand and the aircraft was parked on a remote stand. We were given probably a display of the worst aircraft marshalling I have seen in over 30 years in the industry. The arrival back into Luton can only be described as 'Come Fly with Me and Fawlty Towers meets Monty Pyton' or are they making a new series of Come Fly with Me at Luton Airport? The CEO of Luton Airport wonders why the airport has such bad reviews and press, there is one simple answer. You have allowed the cowboy ground handling agents called Menzies to operate in the airport. We landed and were directed to a remote parking stand near the EasyJet base hanger which I can understand. On Board the Cabin Service manager explained there were be two sets of aircraft steps one at the front and one at the rear and we would be bussed to the terminal building. However the two Menzies staff (who were more interested in talking to each other. Could only be bothered to connect one set of steps and hold both buses at the aircraft rather than send buses to the terminal when they were full of to ease the congestion at the border control. Once inside the terminal it was a short walk to the border control but has normal there was a queue for the non EU passport holders, EU passport and with only 5 out of 15 EPas gates open/working a queue for those. Also there is a lack of decent size signage explaining that families with children need to use the passport desk. At least at Luton ypu are not faced with airport staff barking orders at you in the passport hall. Once we were in at the arrival hall on the way to the coach station to get a coach into London. We found that both sets of toilets landside had been closed for cleaning at the same time or rather the cleaners were moving between the toilets and closed them both off has they did not have a wet floor sign. My wife asked a member of airport staff who when an investigated why both were closed and spoke to the cleaners. He was able to get one set open after he recovered the cleaners wet floor sign from the contractors. I think once the building work has finished the airport will be a good one to use but only time will tell.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"wheelchair was given to someone else"

Not Verified | We arrived from Valencia on 13/09/18 on Easy Jet EZY 2004. I had already booked Special Assistance for my 82 year old husband due to the long route march from the plane to the Terminal Building. But due to an accident in Spain he had a broken vertebra in his lower spine which made this even more important. There was chaos in the Arrivals area and barely any room waiting in the wheelchair area and no system, our wheelchair was given to someone else. When we did get a wheelchair the women pushing it spent a lot of time complaining about the system. Waiting at the carousel took ages with peoples cases flying off and getting damaged. Eventually she took us to the Arrival Hall where I said my son-in-law would meet us. He meantime was waiting in the Drop off/pickup are which cost £3 for about 5 minutes and £1 for every minute afterwards. The plane arrived on time but because of the crowds at passport control it is impossible to get out quickly. It cost us £45 for my son-in-law to park! The wheelchair attendant should have pushed the wheelchair to that area but my son -in-law had to come and find us.! An awful experience. We would never fly from there again, millions of pounds have and are being spent upgrading it but the arrivals area, toilets, carousel are a disgrace.