Luton Airport

"worst airport experience ever"

Trip Verified | The worst airport experience ever. Took over an hour to drop a bag, queues filled the hall. Desks understaffed which caused the delay. The situation exacerbated by travellers having to queue jump as they were about to miss their flight. We arrived two and a half hours early to allow for breakfast, which we did not have time to do. I asked a member of staff if it was always this bad, to be told "today was not busy". On our return queued in the walkway for passport control which took nearly an hour to get through. I understand they have spent a significant amount on "improvements". This has clearly not been spent with its prime purpose of getting passengers through the airport. Never again!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"has been a big improvement in the departure area"

Not Verified | Luton is by far the most convenient airport for us, a half hour drive or taxi ride. It would be so nice if the endless improvements and additions would be completed - I believe the latest estimate is 2021. There has been a big improvement in the departure area which now offers a great range of restaurants and cafes. On the other hand, it is at present a long uphill walk from the drop off area to the terminal building. The improvements in the concourse do not extend to the departure gates. We still have to walk down long, narrow corridors and sometimes have to stand and queue in the corridors as well. If you find seating at all it is likely to be inadequate.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"still waiting for the luggage"

Not Verified | 40 mins after landing, am still waiting for the luggage together with desperate people from 3 flights. The belt isn't moving, the only vending machine where people could buy water is out of order. Disgusting.

"Awful, awful, awful"

(Finland)

Awful, awful, awful. Took 2 hours to clear arrivals. I know the airport is council-owned – so by default it is badly operated with minimum customer care – but as competition will hot up for passengers, I seriously recommend Luton gets its act together.

"an awful experience"

Not Verified | What an awful experience, I travel the world on business most weeks and this was the worst experience ever. 1 hour 15 to clear security at Luton, 9 min at Zurich on the return. Luton doesn't employ enough staff and they seem to be poorly trained. My luggage was flagged for extra inspection, the problem? The shaving gel that was sealed in a plastic bag they needed to check despite the fact its cleared 10 other International airports so far this year. After another wait I was then begrudgingly told its OK. Avoid Luton airport if at all possible
Date VisitAugust 2019

"The place is filthy and unwelcoming"

Not Verified | Our Easyjet flight was cancelled at 21.00 from Gatwick to Inverness. It would have meant we would have to stay at Gatwick from Fri 19th July for a further 3 nights at Gatwick. We eventually got a taxi to Luton from Gatwick and were got to fly on the 20th July to Glasgow. We went to the airport on the Sat morning to the most unhelpful airport staff we have ever met. My husband is disabled and has restricted walking mobility. We went to Assistance to be told we would need our boarding pass before we would get assistance. We went to check in and were told we would have to join the huge queue that was there, until one caring young woman took us through the tensa barrier and checked us in. In a matter of minutes. We could then go and get assistance booked prior to our flight. We got assistance and were hurried to the departure lounge with my husband, asked if he could not stop to take a coffee with him and the answer was no. The place is filthy and unwelcoming. I think it needs a serious shake up and clean up. Hopefully I will not have to use this airport again anytime soon.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Luton airport should be closed"

Not Verified | Luton airport should be closed. The way they are treating people is discraceful. On the 13th August 2019 I arrived at the airport 2.5 hours before my flight departure time. On arriving at the airport I noticed thousands of people waiting to go through security so I decided not to have a coffee and try to get through security. It was obvious that there were too many flights leaving at the same time for the small amount of security points they have at the airport to cope. To make things worse security were double checking every other bag, I have travelled extensively and been through at least 50 airports and I have never seen anything like it. The security staff clearly had no training and had no idea what they were doing. The boarding pass scanning machines were not working properly and the staff were panicking. Consequently I missed my flight along with hundreds of other people. It then took another 75 minutes to get back out of the departure area because no staff were available to deal with anything. Obviously I was furious because I had missed my flight due to the airport and I wanted answers. There one person at the airport information handing out business cards with the address of the airport on and no phone number. I said I would like to speak to someone on and he told me that was not possible and I would have to write a letter to the address on the card. The Chief Executive of the airport should be held accountable and loose his job for not taking any responsibility. I would never use Luton airport again and I wound strongly advise anyone who is considering flying from Luton to think again. If you have no choice other than to use Luton the you would be advised to arrive at least 4 hours before your flight departure time or there is a very good chance you will miss your flight.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Worst airport security ever"

Trip Verified | Worst airport security ever. Almost everyone subjected to random tests. We had all fluids in a plastic bag in the open but they had to do a random cream test. Took an hour to go through security. Almost missed the flight. One other passenger fell ill on the way. Didn't make the flight. Avoid this airport if you can.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"No staff to be seen anywhere"

Trip Verified | Yesterday Luton Airport was flooded and closed off in places because of unprecedented rainfall. This led to delays for passengers, something that naturally could not be avoided. My complaint is about the way it was handled. My mother and I arrived at the airport on a Wizz Air flight from Budapest about 8.45pm. Many passengers from other flights arrived around the same time. We were all hearded into a room that was basically a queue of people, rammed together, snaking up and down the room. There was no staff to be heard or seen, no explanation as to why we were waiting. Meanwhile people were over heating because we were rammed in like sardines. I saw three fights between young men nearly break out as their frustrations started to get out of hand. Families with young children and babies struggled to keep them calm. To my amazement, once my position in the queue led us to the edge of the sea of heads, I saw a group of airport staff seated there playing on their mobile phones, seemingly oblivious to the risks to passengers caught up in the centre of this crowd for over two hours. I, along with many other passengers, felt that this situation was not safe. There was no staff checking if passengers needed water, or to keep them updated as to what was happening or the cause for the delay. It was hot and passengers were calling for bottles of water to be passed along to a family, where I believe a child was overheating and feeling faint. Had fights broken out, people could easily have panicked and been hurt. People with disabilities, the elderly and young children were especially at risk. As a British woman I felt ashamed and embarrassed about this welcome to the UK. Sometimes things happen, such as flooding, over which we have no control. What we should be able to do though at all times, is to make the best use of the human resources available and direct them accordingly to ensure that at least some efforts are made to keep people informed and cared for. This was definitely not the case at Luton Airport. We finally managed to leave the airport in the early hours of the morning. It was not until hours of waiting that we finally saw some explanation for the delay. Large apologetic signs, in English, displayed at the baggage collection points, explained about the impact of flooding at the airport. No airport customer service staff to be seen anywhere. Only cleaners, immigration staff and sales assistants for food and duty free. My husband had a similar experience on the other side of the barriers, with people becoming frustrated with the lack of information and customer care. I think it's sad and disappointing that the situation was handled in this way.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"struggled to find the entrance to the airport"

Trip Verified | I came to pick up my sister, her husband and one year old son on Sunday the 14th of July at 16.35. I first drove into the area where you can wait for 15 minutes and paid £4. I stayed in this section for around 3 minutes. I needed to go to the toilet and I know you cant leave the car unattended so I then went into the parking area and parked. I struggled to find the entrance to the airport and needed to take two lifts and walk in different directions. It is not clearly marked. It took me 10 minutes to find the entrance. Then I went into the main airport and found the first toilet next to Burger King and opposite M&S. The only one available was a disabled one, it was extremely dirty with urine all over the seat and no toilet paper. I went next to the toilet and got some baby changing roll to clean the seat and used a tissue I had. I found my sister and her family and we started to make our way back to the parking lot. We followed the signs to the parking lot which took us to the 15 minute stay for £4! I then found someone who works for Luton and asked him the way back to the parking lot, ground 0, and he said that the signs were incorrect and pointed us back towards the right way and so we took another 10 minutes to find our way back to the car. All of this took under an hour and was very stressful and in total I was charged £14 for parking and used a dirty toilet with no toilet paper.
Date VisitJuly 2019