Luton Airport

"very positive"

Trip Verified | I read the many reviews and people are complaining so much. My experience of Luton which I arrived in today from Prague was very positive. The place was heaving but the queues moved quick. It's not a fancy airport it's customers are budget carriers. What do people expect a airport like that to be? Luxury? I arrived at 17.30 and I was in and out of the airport within 10 minutes. The bus terminal to London is literally outside the terminal. The only gripe was the men's toilet was disgusting. Compared to the clean ones in Prague.

"airport is a disgrace"

Trip Verified | Automatic bag checked worked well but did not provide a receipt (I photographed label). Security a shambles. I went through metal detector (nothing), then through microwave (nothing) then asked to remove shoes then belt, which I pointed out was all plastic but still had to remove it. Then hand scanner; nothing. then pat down which found a 6 inch plastic comb. Security officer was surly and rude. The bin with my personal possessions (inc passport) had been sitting at the end of the conveyor for some 10 mins, ripe for some casual thief. Usual array of glossy shops selling rubbish; always seem the part of the airport that receives the most attention. At the boarding gate we were herded into a smaller and smaller space until people started to complain vigorously. Staff here were equally rude. I prefer easyJet to Ryanair but the airport is a disgrace.
Date VisitMay 2019

"It isn't getting better"

Trip Verified | Outbound single queue for Easyjet bag drop very long and slow with auto-drop now in same queue. No apparent queue for speedy boarding, though we eventually found it was now same queue as Easyjet Plus, a separate subscription service. Speedy isn't a feature, so no surprise. Crazy long walk through a load of consumerism, which we will never purchase there. Having arrived with 2 hours to spare, we had little time in departures, went to gate as soon as it was displayed to find speedy boarding under way. Went through to join 20+ others, including families with buggies, queuing on stairs for half hour. Return from TLV was scheduled to be late on departure, 5 hours earlier, so delay at disembarking was inexplicalable. Luggage took 70 mins. to arrive. What an embarrassment after the efficiency of TLV. The long term car park coach caused more delay, with usual scrum, unsafe for older or smaller passengers. Whoever designed the bus area had presumably never visited the site or, probably, any airport. In all, nearly 2 hours to leave this foul place. The constant building might as well stop. It isn't getting better. We only use it because it's our nearest airport. This has to be off-set against all the negatives. We cannot believe the site owners use the airport and they certainly don't care about the reviews.

"it's such a long walk"

Not Verified | You need a taxi to get you from the drop off point to the terminal, it's such a long walk. Then walk miles to get to the gate. The gents toilets are too small if you need to sit down. There's only about 5 toilets, so you have to queue. Before you board the plane they leave you queuing on the stairs for at least 20 minutes.
Date VisitApril 2019

"chaotic check with huge queues"

Not Verified | Travelling out on 20 April to Jersey - chaotic check with huge queues. Security was chaplin-esque, they have a scanner but said I had something in my pocket (2 tissues!) and had to be frisked and then scanned manually. On returning home today long wait for luggage - go outside the airport to find the bus for the mid term car park but no signs, just loads of bus/coaches - when I asked I was told that the bus can pull in any bay available and this was after a 20 minute wait for the bus when it did actually arrive. There is huge building works going on at the airport but they cannot get the simplest thing right - the traffic around the airport is haphazard and cars seem delayed in transiting the exit. I would do anything to avoid coming to Luton airport in the future.
Date VisitApril 2019

"had the worst experience"

Not Verified | We have had the worst experience. Easter weekend, the check in counters were understaffed, there is no coordination and the experience feels extremely chaotic! The same applies to the security checks. When you enter the waiting area, there doesn‘t seem to be enough space for walkways. We were queuing literally all the time and despite our early arrival of 90 mins prior to our departure, we have only just made it to our flight. We felt stressed and tense and decided not to fly from Luton again. PS: You may want to think about automation, I.e. check in machines etc.
Date VisitApril 2019

"don't believe the adverts"

Not Verified | Avoid! I've been waiting for my luggage for longer than my flight took from Basel. Also the dirt, lack of bins, and it's quite far from London - don't believe the adverts, you won't get to London in less than 2h.

"Absolutely appalling airport"

Trip Verified | Absolutely appalling airport. New ‘automatic bag drop off’! Completely unorganised unprofessional service. Spend three hours queuing to drop off hand luggage which was pre booked and paid for. Not one check in desk open, no one on customer services desk, directed by airport staff to queue at check in desks then told to queue in another line, only to be told when they eventually opened two desks that we had missed our flight. No more flights due out today unless we pay £1400 for four passengers! Utter disgrace. We were travelling to Spain for our wedding which will not happen now. Complete and utter shambles.
Date VisitApril 2019

"a budget airport that offers very little"

Trip Verified | For years now the airport has been a construction site but despite the capacity of the terminal being increased from 12 million passengers to 18 million passengers per year the terminal offers very little in the way of convenience or comfort and is London's worst airport. The drop off zone must involve the longest walk to a terminal of any major airport and is a good 5 or 6 minute walk away. No weather protection is offered so if it is raining be prepared to get wet. Once inside the terminal despite the building being allegedly finished it looks only semi completed with ceilings missing, broken floor tiles everywhere and hoardings closing off small sections of the terminal. The terminal has the look of a building built on an extremely tight budget. For my 12 noon departure I arrived at around 10am and with the airport quiet the walk through security only took a couple of minutes. Once upstairs in departures the new shops and food outlets are a big improvement. Seating in the main lounge is still inadequate but lots of seats are provided in corridors leading to many of the gates. Boarding experience depends which gate you get. Many involve waiting on staircases or worse still a metal fire escape. No gates at Luton offer air bridges so again if it is raining you will get soaked boarding the aircraft. Arriving back at Luton was painless this time due again to arriving at an off peak time of day in March. All in all Luton is a budget airport that offers very little to passengers and always leaves me feeling depressed at the surroundings.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"it is incredibly disorganized"

Trip Verified | This airport is cold, the staff are unfriendly and not helpful, and it is incredibly disorganized. Getting from our taxi into the airport was a mission itself. Once we got in, it was so cold and there was little chance of warming up. Getting through customs was a mess and people were so frustrated because of how disorganized it was. Upon our return, the wait was way too long to get through customs and the signage isn't great or helpful when it comes to using the public transport. I would not travel through this airport unless there was absolutely no other option.
Date VisitMarch 2019