Luton Airport

"airport is not fit for purpose"

Trip Verified | This airport is not fit for purpose. There are too many flights scheduled for the available space. We arrived there soon after 4.30am, it was raining, and our taxi was forced to drop us a long distance from the departure building because of building works. Along with several hundred other people, we had a long enforced trek to find some cover from the weather. Some elderly passengers found the walk very difficult. Ryanair were checking in on 4 desks, but the queue, several deep, extended way out past the snaked area and halfway along the length of the building. There were long queues at both the toilet areas along our route, even the gents' toilets, and people panicking because they were afraid of losing their flight as a result. The check in staff were working well - they were quick and efficient, but didn't have time to be polite or friendly. The worst experience was going through Security. I am a woman in my 70s, travelling with my husband and two friends, thin, and wearing just 5 lightweight pieces of clothing. Why I should have been subjected to a body search, I have no idea. The search was intrusive, I felt violated. And I couldn't find my shoes, which had been taken from me. I didn't complain at the time - the long wait meant that we had to run to our gate even though we'd arrived 2 hours before take-off, so I had no time to lodge a complaint. Luton airport was a most unpleasant experience from start to finish. Never, ever again, shall I fly from Luton.

"not enough seating"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I am at the moment inside the airport. There is not enough seating, corridors are packed, very noisy, all factors contributing to a very unpleasant stay here. Why is not there a smoking area? Do you prefer passengers having to go against the law and smoke in the bathrooms?
Date VisitJuly 2019

"today's experience has been horrific"

Not Verified | I have flown from Luton many times but today's experience has been horrific, as a matter of a fact it has never been great. Arrived to the airport 2.45am as I had to take a bus (usually drive) and my flight was at 6.50am which is, lets be honest, more than enough time, there was no later bus service unfortunately. Once arriving, the place was relatively quiet. I have noticed that before, but there is only one big display showing departing flights and the area gets very crowded, people are pushing through etc. I was flying with Wizz Air and their check in desks were from 12-30 however for my flight it was displayed only at 4.30. I could have just chanced it and queued as soon as they opened them but did not want to risk being turned away to the back of the queue due to drop off not being open for my flight. I was in the line over 1 hr, it was tiring, the automtic drop off was going a bit faster but if I was to decide to chose that option, there was a massive queue already formed. Staff-no comment, rude, but more importatntly not enough of them. Check in staff were shouting out destinations that were closer to their departure times, people were pushing through so they dont miss their flights, I guess thats fair enough, would have done the same probably. Finally, luggage checked in, now security, at this time the airport was absolutely packed, obviously schools broke up for summer holidays as it was full of parents with kids, cannot imagine the up coming next 2 weeks though. Security went relatively fast, I thought I would be queueing forever again. Body scan all ok, did not have to take my shoes off, which would not have bothered me. I never ever pack any lotions, creams, lipgloss or any other make up or liquids in my hand laguagge however my bags went on the other side of the roller conveyor for a further review. This is now 5.30am, flying at 6.50am. There was a family of 4 in front of me being checked out, all of them had creams, liquids etc packed in their hand lagguage rather than having them in the trays. The security officer was just as "enthusiastic" as the queueing passangers, and to be fair very slow but I guess they have to do a thorough check, she did not seem to be in a rush though. Finally, got to my bag, she has not even opened it, looked at the scanner and I was ok to go! Why on this holy earth did they have to pass it through another check if she did not even bother to flipping open it? At this point, dying for a tolilet break, again the queues were long as my arm. I have to say, I was cheeky and used the disabled toilets as I was not prepared to wait again. Mamaged to grab a meal deal from WHSmith and the gate for my flight was soon open (again bare in mind I was there from 2.45am). Did not have much time to browse through shops, which, in a hind sight, was good for my wallet. Obviously, no spaces to sit down let alone stand. Unfortunately, I will have to fly from here again, but this airport is way too small for its capacity with not very helpful staff and if you can, please avoid especially when travelling with kids. I know it may sound a bit exaggerated, but this is a honest review and I don't ever bother with them regardless of being good/bad.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"hard to find the bus stop"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I found it very hard to find the bus stop outside this airport. It isn't user friendly. Arrival was fine as it was at night and the airport was deserted. Many passengers arriving at 4 to 5 am didn't make my quest a lot easier either.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"a joke and a laughing stock"

Not Verified | Airport quite simply is a joke from faulty passport machines to very rude border force staff. Arrogant self-righteous jot there to help only hinder. Been to Tenerife airport efficient bags straight out. Luton, no, no, no, UK airports compared to everywhere I have been. The worst run, have the laziest staff. I'm from the UK but the country is a joke and a laughing stock.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"staff are generally incompetent"

Not Verified | The staff are generally incompetent and slow down everything at the airport; it would run perfectly well without them. They’ve upgraded everything else but sadly the majority of staff can only survive in amongst other equally inept colleagues.

"Brilliant service"

Not Verified | We left our car in the long term car park for 6 weeks. When we collected it the battery was flat. There was a number to ring for help on a poster in the bus stop. We waited about 30 minutes and a man came with jump leads and had us going in no time. Brilliant service.

"Rubbish technology"

Trip Verified | Rubbish technology caused 20 minute delay on fast track check in! Followed by 20 minute queue at auto baggage drop. Then a failure of the scanner resulted in a run to the excess baggage desk then 10 minute queue which in fairness was mostly manual and quick. Then a brisk walk/jog to the departure gate. So much for a relaxing start to the holiday.

"very poor punctuality"

Not Verified | For a western European airport, this is probably one of the worst I've been to in Europe, very poor punctuality, lack of toilets and seating areas, lack of food choices and overpriced.
Date VisitJune 2019

"the worst airport I have ever been to"

Not Verified | Literally the worst airport I have ever been to. The drop off is awful and very confusing. The lines for security is so long somehow, even when there no one there. Then, the gates are miles from security, leading you on the most unnecessary, circuitous route. When we finally reached the gate our flight was canceled for an unexplained reason. The flights are cheap but the price you will pay for accommodation/rerouting if anything goes wrong is not worth it! Going out of Heathrow is far more reliable, Luton sucks.