Luton Airport

"no airport staff to assist anyone"

(Gibraltar)

Trip Verified | Absolute shambles of an airport. 0 rating! 0 should be an option. Whoever is in charge needs firing! Arrived late Friday evening, waited on the plane 20 plus minutes before stairs arrived. Rear stairs didn't work so passengers had to disembark via front plane doors. Once off the plane there was no one guiding anyone the right way into the terminal, just tape which appeared to serve as a barrier around building works. No lifts or escalators just staircases which caused further delays as elderly and those with young children could not get up the stairs easily and absolutely no airport staff to assist anyone. Once into the border security the real circus began! There were hundreds and hundreds of people crammed in shoulder to shoulder being herded like cattle. Most directed to the automatic passport barriers, most of which didn't work. Once I was at the front of the queue I proceeded to the barrier, barriers 1 to 6 out of about ten, were not working, all appeared to be either shut down or offline. Leaving 3 or 4 working intermittently and no real assistance for those not knowing what to do. I got the green entry sign and proceeded forward, inserted my passport only for the barrier to shut down. I was then directed to the "Assistance" desk (use that term loosely, the woman was surly and aggressive). She asked which Country I had travelled from, I replied Spain, she then growled where in Spain, I replied that she had asked which Country not which airport, but duly gave her my departure airport. She then proceeded to examine my passport and went through a series of "security" questions, no one prior to me had been asked any security questions, there passport was merely scanned and pboto checked. She then proceeded to try and tell me that my passport chip could not be read easily (either it can be read or it can't!) To which I pointed out that it worked perfectly on my departure from Spain and also worked perfectly on the 6 other flights I have taken in the last 6 months and told her the issue was most definitely with Luton Airport. The staff I encountered were rude and aggressive and it's fair to say I will never use Luton Airport again nor would I recommend it except for demolition and a complete overhaul of staff and passenger facilities. Disgraceful and an embarassmemt to the UK.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"more customer friendly"

Trip Verified | Since the rebuilding work within the terminal, it seems to on the inside be more customer friendly. OK, I admit that I am not a fan of the large duty free shopping malls which are appearing in airports but the one at Luton is not in your face and you are not plagued by the staff with a hard sell motive. Security was quiet but painless with 4 lanes open including the fast track/family lane. OK we hit security just after the morning rush was departing or departed. So from start to finish it took 15 minutes. There is a good selection of cafes and food outlets, the only slight negative was most of the tables in some outlets were taken up by airport staff on their breaks. Hence the poor mark for airport staff. I did see one of the managers ask them to move as they were hogging tables which are there for the passengers. This had meant that the seated waiting area was dirty with the rubbish from people which had been left. However the cleaning team were on the case and it was soon cleaned up. Since the island bar has disappeared and been replaced with seating, a few more monitors would not go a miss. The gate staff were pleasant and polite when enforcing the cabin baggage rules of the airline. Given the changes to the rail service from our local station we are now able to get a direct train to Luton airport parkway it may become our airport of choice.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Gate areas are still lacking"

Not Verified | Been about a year since I last flew from Luton. The check-in area, security area has improved but still not enough space/facilities to re-dress after taking off belts and shoes going through security. Departures has improved with lots of shopping and some new restaurants. Seating seems to have improved too. Gate areas are still lacking, and once you gate is announced you are faced with a long wait at the gate area with no seating and if the sun is shining through the windows it gets hot too. On arrival be prepared for a very long walk to passport control depending on what stand your flight arrives at! Biggest issue is the remoteness and charge for the drop off/pick up area. It is a long walk from the terminal, mostly outside. There is a £3 charge for 15 mins to drop off/pick up so most taxi drivers will park up outside the airport and get you to call them when you land so they don't go over the 15 mins and have to pay even more.

"the place is spartan"

Not Verified | A depressing experience owing to the state of the airport and the ridiculous charge (£3, rising by £1 a minute if it takes more than 10 minutes to get in and out) for the privilege of arriving by car. The drop off point is not even by the entrance to the terminal building, it is about a 10 minute walk away, in the open air. Inside, "- not quite a building site, but not far from one. Security was a nightmare, ill mannered and seemingly incompetent security staff adding to the the gloom. Tavelling by Ryanair didn't help. We hurried to the gate in response to a gate open sign being posted, but when we got there the gate was closed, and didn't open for about 40 minutes, with take off and arrival late. Ironically, when we returned our cases were already on the carousel when we arrived at the baggage hall, making baggage collection that day the fastest I can ever remember. This relieved some of the tension, but not by much. Luton is the closest airport to our home, about 20 minutes by car, but starting and/or ending a holiday there should be avoided if at all possible.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"overall an unpleasant experience"

Trip Verified | Long term parking is not easy to find made worse by horrendous delays in the M1 south. The shuttle bus is not very frequent so allow good time to get to the airport and through security. I flew with Wizz Air to Wroclaw and arriving there was efficient clean and orderly, returning to the UK was a nightmare. We landed at 10:15 and I got to my car just before midnight, this was due to long waits through passport control and waiting 45 minutes for a shuttle bus in the cold. How can it be that it takes longer to get from the plane to my car than it does to fly to Southern Poland? The infrastructure is poor and overall an unpleasant experience. I will never fly from here again and advise anyone else to think beyond price and use a proper airport.

"No signage at all"

Not Verified | Luton used to be my favourite London airport. Not as nasty as Thiefrow, not as far away as Gatwick. No longer. All is being changed – for the worse. Coming by car, the signposting is dreadful. At at least three points I had to stop my car, because it was unclear where I should go to leave it at Valet Parking. Nobody at the 'Passenger Help' kiosk, of course. So I had to wait until a service engineer happened by to fix one of the barrier mechanisms, and he told me where I needed to go. I cannot comment on the queues for Security on Departure, as I'd paid for Priority Security, so didn't have to wait too long. Bur, once through, you are confronted by - literally - a maze of airport concession shops with a serpentine path between them, meandering in an almost complete circle [and with no short cut]. So bad, that they had had to put up a small sign to explain the the actual passenger path to the departure gates was - half-hidden - between one of these shops and its neighbour. Then at least a quarter mile of corridors and passages, to get to Gate 1. Returning was just as bad. No signage at all to indicate that the only way to the multi-story car park was to take the elevated bridge. At ground level, signs to "Pick-up" lead you past the multi-story to a wasteland of fenced-off construction sites. And once you finally get out of the airport, you find four lanes of traffic [Airport Terminal, Airport Service Area, Local traffic, Luton Town Centre] all merging into one. The resulting jams have to be seen to be believed. For a so-called "International Airport" it is a disgrace.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"added stress to the trip"

Trip Verified | We were going through departures with a 3 year old child in one hand and 10kg hand luggage in the other. One member of the staff rudely asked us to move to a further the lane, although my luggage was already on the lane and other bits as well and I was struggling with the child. The guy clearly seemed like he wished he wasn’t there and instead of giving a good customer service, was really grumpy, unhelpful and added stress to the trip!
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"still discriminate smokers"

Not Verified | I am so glad that Luton airport is changing! I am so happy that it will have a new face, and I guess there is a lot of money going into the improvements. I am very very unhappy that you still discriminate smokers! Why cant we smokers have a place, just a tiny little place to smoke? Why is it so hard?
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"not worth the cheaper flight"

Not Verified | I could not believe the lack of effort and respect from most of the staff. I got very lost in the airport which yes, I understand that happened and it isnt their fault. But when I am asking what to do when my luggage claim was shut, I got passed from pillar to post. A women actually lifted her arm shrugged with a turned down smile as if you say "I don't know I don't care". Finally found someone who actively helped. On the way back I asked three different staff members what bus to get on and showed then my receipt. Again not one of them had an answer. I called the number on the receipt, and of course I get sent the the other side of the airport then call again and get a different person and 2 hours later I am on the way to the correct place! Never again will I fly from Luton airport not worth the cheaper flight!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"Disappointed with the unprofessionalism"

Trip Verified | Woman at security scanning bags etc was extremely extremely slow. Not taking her job seriously at all. I had forgotten to take my 100ml bag out of my small handbag so it had to be reviewed. First of all she was no where to be seen and I was waiting for a good 3/4 minutes for her to come and check it. When she did, she looked at it and pouted realising the issue, then extremely slowly walked so casually back to the start of the security line to scan the bag casually talking and laughing to her colleagues on the way. The entire process could have been done in a quarter of the time. Disappointed with the unprofessionalism of this one lady.
Date VisitDecember 2018