Luton Airport

"Not a great airport!"

Not Verified | Not a great airport! Starting off with the parking. Yes their prices for short stay is super expensive but there is the mid stay car park but it's quite a distance from the terminals. The car park is based about 15 minute walk and come rain/snow/sunshine you have to walk with your suitcases up a slight hill to the terminal. Also the car park has stones in the parking bays so if you reverse park you either have to carry your heavy suitcase, to the smooth pavement, or risk your suitcase wheels getting damaged wheeling them across the stones - better to park face first in in this car park! Bad start to a holiday! Who designs an airport like that? When we arrived at the airport entrance there are plenty of signs saying "no smoking" but lots of people smoking there ignoring the signs along with the staff not enforcing it. So you have to walk through a wall of cigarette smoke to get inside (same when we landed on our return flight!) Inside the airport areas are well controlled with good lane control for boarding and as well as security both were very quick inbound and outbound flights. In the departure lounge there was only one bank of screens and for a large area this is nuts as you have to keep walking over to read what is being posted on it regarding gate departure number. One thing I didn't like is the mini departure lounge having to walk down some stairs (not the end of the world!) but then so many people cramped in a room waiting for the doors to open so one can then walk on to the plane. Not a recommended airport unless you either get dropped off! Smoking outside the entrance area is a real problem here! There were even staff patrolling that either a) didn't care or b) also smoking so not a nice start wheeling your baggage through a cloud of cigarette smoke.
Date VisitJanuary 2023

"Left abandoned in a wheelchair for over an hour"

Trip Verified | Left abandoned in a wheelchair for over an hour. Abused by ground staff because I couldn’t climb the stairs due to my disability. Special Assistance staff sat around on their phones refused to help. Worst experience ever.
Date VisitSeptember 2022

"border control man was so rude"

Trip Verified | The border control man working on 6th December around 6pm was so rude. Yelled at my mum who doesn’t speak good English, when I went to him to get my passport checked he said in a rude way “use the automatic machine, that’s what they’re there for!” My mum got through but I didn’t because of my glasses so I had to go to him again, he was visibly annoyed and asked “it’s because you had your glasses on so you don’t look like your photo, also why were you late?” We let other passengers off the plane first as my mum is elderly and slow with arthritis so she has some pain. Even so I don’t think we were that late maybe 10 minutes after everyone else! Before I went through he also said “You do realise your passport is going to expire in 5 months” yes I’m aware I can read. Really made us feel uncomfortable and saddened by his inhumane behaviour.
Date VisitDecember 2022

"awful, horrible customer service"

Not Verified | I travelled recently back home and 2 weeks later my dad (in his 70'), brother and my nephew (7) came for visit and both times on arrival, queues were enormous! One person at passport control? Really? (We all have e-passports yet ushered to personal checks) You should be ashamed of yourself for putting people through this. More than 1hr wait. It's awful, horrible customer service.
Date VisitOctober 2022

"The airport cannot get the basics right"

Not Verified | 35 minutes after landing and we are still waiting for ground staff to bring some stairs. The airport cannot get the basics right. Over expansion without the infrastructure. This airport needs new management.
Date VisitOctober 2022

"should be thoroughly ashamed"

Not Verified | Our plane landed at 15.30 we disembarked at 15.40. For the next hour we stood in the queue with a tired, hungry and weary toddler who had just spent 4 hours cooped up in a plane and needed to go to the toilet. Out of the 9 available desks only one was open and the member of staff on there was in training. I understand that new people have to be trained but any sensible company would complete staff training at an off peak time and open several desks while this is happening to take the pressure off the staff member and maintain a swift service. To have one desk open when there are literally hundreds of people waiting to be seen is at best incompetent and at worst shows a complete contempt for your customers. I witnessed exhausted new mothers having to breastfeed hungry babies, the elderly suffering from dehydration and poor little toddlers screaming in frustration. If this was my first impression of the U.K it wouldn’t be a good one. You should be thoroughly ashamed.
Date VisitOctober 2022

"This is a lousy service"

Not Verified | Wife landed 2.10am from Alicante and needed wheel chair assist. I was waiting to pick her up, plane landed on time but had to wait 50 minutes till someone came to collect her from the airplane. I have work later and as parking is terrible and costly. This is a lousy service which has made my wife's condition worse.
Date VisitSeptember 2022

"security staff were very rude"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Disaster airport. We had to check in from desk 1-10 there was a sign showing Ryanair bag drop where we queued and a lot of persons were queuing there for nothing as the check in was done in a desk, where there was a sign that it was closed. The security staff were very rude. Than they announced that the gate for Malta would be gate no 14 we approached the are but we had to stay another 30 minutes there waiting in a sauna. Disgrace. Airport of a third world country. No AC nothing just small fans.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"Security was really fast"

Not Verified | Security was really fast. The selection of shops is mediocre and it would be much better if they werent expensive and if it had a fast food joint past security. There's a bk/mcd before security which I think is a bit silly. Theres a WHSmith which has reasonable prices. The seats were comfortable although the cleanliness of the floor in the seating area would have to be improved. Moving through the airport was comfortable and fast. The toilets before security in the check in area were clean.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"the staff were efficient and polite"

Not Verified | I have to give credit where it is due, and my experience departing from and arriving at Luton on 7 July was good. I got to the airport shortly before 06.00 and the security hall was heaving - full pretty much back to its entrance -- but it was very well managed and kept moving at a good speed. So far as I could tell, all scanners were in use, and the staff were efficient and polite. It took only 25 minutes to get through, so 50 minutes from leaving my car off-site to reaching the departure lounge, in the circumstances, that's very good. The lounge was busy, of course, but there were plenty of seats to be had if one left the main area and went towards the gates. (I recommend Garofalo for a decent coffee and very good croissants, etc.!) Returning in the evening was fine as well, I've only knocked the rating down by one because it took 15 minutes to get steps to our (delayed) aircraft.