Kuwait Airport

"avoid this airport at all cost"

Trip Verified | Had high expectations as I've never been to Kuwait before and have heard so many good things about it. I was transiting between Saudi Arabia and London and had my vintage 1940s umbrella taken from me at the security check with no previous warning. The airline had no problem with umbrellas as I'd already flown with them and umbrellas are actually allowed on board according to their website info. The security were rude, incompetent, couldn't even speak or understand English and had the gall to ask me if I could speak English. The majority of the airport staff were policemen giggling amongst themselves then acting like brutes when interacting with passengers. I went through multiple workers before I managed to get a member of staff from Kuwait Airways to help. She said I could reclaim my umbrella and she would be able to tag it and check it in with the baggage. When we got to the security check we were met with an imbecile of a security worker who wouldn't stop lying to me. After explaining the situation to him he looked into the bin that my umbrella was carelessly thrown into and asked me if it was black. When I responded in the affirmative he said it had already been taken to the disposal area. How would he know what it looked like if he hadn't seen it in the bin just then? When I told him to give me it and let me check it in, he said he couldn't do that because there wasn't enough time. I told him my flight was in 4 hours there was plenty of time, he said that 4 hours is actually too much time and were my flight in an hour or less he'd be able to let me check it in. I'm not sure what logic (if any) was applied here because I've not been able to make sense of that claim. At this point one of the Kuwaiti officers was trying to usher me out so he could get back to the office and chitchat with his buddies. I tried to complain on the airport's website, but the complaint form they provide doesn't even have a 'proceed' button. I contacted Kuwait Airways via email and even spoke to a representative of theirs in London to no avail. Absolutely avoid this airport at all cost. Who knows, maybe they'll confiscate belts and shoelaces next.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"I like the new airport"

(Kuwait)

Trip Verified | Well it started easy and smooth I went to the new Terminal 4 in Kuwait and the difference between them is that the old airport allows all airlines while the new one only allows Kuwait Airways. I like the new airport it's nice there were 2 Starbucks one opening down I think these 2 might be temporary until the large Starbucks opens. I like the new airport, I definitely recommend it.
Date VisitJune 2019

"it's not a angry mob"

(Kuwait)

Trip Verified | So it was a short 2 hours at Kuwait Airport and it's good it's not a angry mob and its very easy to get to my gate. Duty frees and 2 Starbucks were there and they will open Pizza Express, Shake Shack, Raising Canes and Mcdonalds. I went to the terminal 4 not the original airport.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Avoid at all costs"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | Abhorrant. Avoid at all costs. The lack of infrastructure is staggering to a level that defies common sense. A single scanner at the entrance, a single visa recovery point, a single working booth at migrations. Expect hours of queuing except at the quietest times. For an hour long flight (Kuwait-Qatar) you must go through scanners three times, which doesn't make sense at all, and at each point only a single scanner. People started going through the last one hour in advance, yet my flight was delayed more than half an hour because everything was so slow. The personnel is blatantly rude, inept, slow, and careless. They don't know the difference between an ereader and an iPad, and call a supervisor to check it at every scanner point. They don't understand English and babble gibberish if you ask anything, or plainly shout at you. In a country under the rule of law their verbal and physical behavior would land some of them in jail. The toilets, of which there are just a handful, seem from a suburban train station in a third world country. Pick any another airport at the middle east for all of them (say UAE, Qatar, Oman) are better unless strictly necessary.
Date VisitMay 2019

"a nightmare when you have little ones with you"

(Kuwait)

Not Verified | As much as I love Kuwait, I absolutely hate the airport we have. No, I'm not talking about the selection of duty-free stores or the number of restaurants and cafes that we have. I'm talking about how inefficient the whole process is, I'm talking about the unfriendliness and negative work ethic of the staff, herding passengers like cattle from line to line while barking rudely to anyone who appears to look like a poor maid or laborer. This is of course, unless you have the privilege of being a Kuwaiti, because oh, in that case, you can jump, hop and skip through any queue and no rules apply to you. An airport is the first impression a country makes on a tourist. There's no point spending millions of dollars on a new airport, or even renovating parts of the old one if the service is just as poor with the same indifferent attitude. We just arrived back from our trip to Thailand and though we've been seeing the service at the Kuwait Airport degrade with each passing year, this year just topped it! Our flight to Phuket via Oman and Bangkok was at 10:30 pm and like good travelers, we arrived with more than 3 hours to spare. The queue to check in our luggage was chaotic with passengers forming their own queues all over the place and despite checking in online, there was no separate counter. On spotting a suited staff (a friendly expat I should add), I approached him and told him that I'd checked in online and mentioned that I was traveling with young kids. He quickly opened up a separate queue for those already checked in and we breezed through the first hurdle. Yay! Quite proud of ourselves, we walked out happily only to have our hearts sink when we saw the queue for the customs clearance. It snaked out almost all the way to the front door! Only once we got near the front did it become apparent just why the queue was this long. For the entire "Other Nationality" economy class passengers, there were only two counters open. What!? Seriously, what is the point of having brand new customs counters if they aren't used? There were at least 3-4 counters open for GCC Nationals and Business and First Class passengers though. Good to know that their priorities are in order! We also had to get our carry on screened and though there were three x-ray machines, only one to two of them were open at any one time. Also, the officers in charge of screening the baggage were just on their phones or talking amongst themselves. If they're not going to do it properly, why bother in the first place? Having finally finished with customs, we thought we were done with queues until we went downstairs to our gate to board our flight and were met with yet another giant queue to again screen our carry on baggage before boarding the plane. And get this, for the entire flight, there was just one x-ray machine. How ridiculous is that? Despite just making it onto the plane in time, there were still passengers to clear each hurdle and our flight ended up leaving an hour late making us miss our next two connecting flights. Definitely, a nightmare when you have little ones with you.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"rude and extremely unprofessional"

Trip Verified | Recently in April 2019, we flew with Kuwait Airways to Jeddah from Heathrow via a transit at Kuwait International Airport (KWI) - Terminal 4. The security staff members at Kuwait airport are rude and extremely unprofessional, my husband was threatened just for asking to speak to a manager because they refused to allow us a 500 grams of sealed honey jar that we had purchased from duty free shop at Jeddah airport, and the jar was inside the duty free shopping bag. My family with young children were left terrified when their security officers took away our passports from us and my husband was taken to an officer room in which he was asked to apologize for asking to speak to a manager. Our family passports were only returned after my husband was forced to say sorry to the person whom he had asked for his manager details. So bear in mind at Kuwait airport it's considered a crime if you ask someone for his/her manager details. We will never use Kuwait Airlines again and we will never go via Kuwait Airport. Kuwaitis may be good people but the staff at the airport have not left me and my family with a good image of the country.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Total mess"

Not Verified | New security equipment installed but nobody has a clue how to use it, so they check every bag, down to your last pen. Then just when you think it's all over, the check your bags all over again at the gate. Total mess with flights running late or even cancelled.
Date VisitApril 2019

"first and last time"

Trip Verified | This is the world's worst airport, I was flying from Colombo to London via Kuwait, between the transit lounge and departures I had to go through three security check points and had my hand luggage scanned, they ask us to take out the laptop, send through the scanner and after scanning we have switch it on, staff are very rude, all are expatriates speaking their own language, unacceptable , it is so much hassle for the passengers, I would never again visit this airport or the country. This is the first and last time to this airport
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Avoid at all costs"

Not Verified | Absolutely abysmal. Do not connect via Kuwait. Our flight was delayed with no prior warning. No one in the airport to consult. No screens showing which terminal to go to or how to get there. Avoid at all costs.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"This is the worst airport"

(Qatar)

Trip Verified | This is the worst airport I ever had. The staff at the check-in counter was very rude. I was flying via KLM to Bahrain. The airport was very crowded, arriving and departing passengers are meeting at the same place as there are bo designated walkways for arriving passengers. On the way to the waiting area, they have to scan again your hand carry luggage at the boarding gate. One will check your boarding pass before scanning, security will ask to remove shoes selectively. I would understand if they do this to all passengers but apparently not. They ask to remove laptop and ipad and it goes to the scanner. After scanning they will ask to switch it on. Then the security will check again the boarding pass. There is too much hassles in this airport. I would avoid this airport in my future travels and this is considered to be the worst airport I have ever been to.
Date VisitDecember 2018