KLIA Kuala Lumpur Airport

"will make sure not to fly through here again"

(China)

Not Verified | I am fairly certain that whoever runs this airport has never actually been to one, and is merely attempting to recreate one based on a description in a book. The person staffing this place must have a goal of collecting the world's premier collection of lazy, surly, useless people. And he is doing a great job. I will make damn sure not to fly through here again.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"massive lineup at KLIA early in the morning"

Not Verified | It was a massive lineup at KLIA early in the morning on Jan 20th, 2020. I arrived 2.5 hours earlier for my flight. Waited in the immigration line for 1.5 hours. There was supposed to be 4 counters to take care of each lineup section, however, 3 counters were closed and they decided to walk away despite the long lineup. Being said, it left only 1 counter opened for a good 20 minutes and the line became overwhelmingly long. When they decided to come back, one of them walked away again leaving the passenger at his counter waited for about 15 minutes. I almost missed my flight due to their delinquency. I had to run and reached the gate just in time as they were closing it. Very disappointed with the ignorant demeanour of the immigration staff.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"didn't have time for duty free or other shopping"

Not Verified | Took over 30 mins to get through passport control, then customs check, then gate lounge and finally a queue to get on the plane. I'd allowed 80 mins from arriving (already checked in) and still didn't have time for duty free or other shopping. If I was a retailer in KLIA, I'd be demanding a rent reduction for all the lost business while people queue.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"the staff were mostly unfriendly"

(Indonesia)

Not Verified | What an experience it is for a second-timer in Malaysia! Probably not the kind of experience I would like to re-encounter when I next visit this country for my holidays. Bringing along my mom, I expect the immigration process to be a breeze. But, it turns out that this process cost me almost an hour and the staff were mostly unfriendly and yelling towards arriving tourists. What a shame!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Worst immigration clearance ever"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Worst immigration clearance ever. Literally the terminal was packed with passengers, however the immigration decided to open 3 counters only out of 5. Spotted one of the officers take his time while doing his job, even-though the line was so very long he still managed to talked and laughed with other officer. I had to queue for 2 hours, by the time I reached the gate the airplane was leaving in-front of my eyes. Complained to one of immigration staff and his response was “yes, it is a peak day so next time come 3 hours before”. Not everyone has much free time to go to the airport 3 hours prior to departure, especially if you are on the business trip having back to back meetings. Plus, if he know that this is a peak day, at least what he can do is to open all the counters and ensure all the officer work properly. But again, I am flying with budget airlines and KLIA 2 is a budget airlines terminal. So not too sure if this is the normal Immigration treatment for the budget airlines passenger or not.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"by far the worst I have encountered"

Trip Verified | Reading all the previous reviews here I can only agree with each of them. Kuala Lumpur, one of the major and popular cities in South East Asia among tourists, should at least have an airport to make those tourists feel welcome. Having been to many airports, KLIA2 is by far the worst I have encountered for a big international airport. Many reasons have been stated already, from rude staffs to long queue lines at the immigration counters but also the issue of not having enough seats at the boarding gates where you have to wait in the corridor? Or once you thought you are boarding the aircraft you end up in another waiting room where there are no toilets available once your flight has been delayed not to mention not enough seats to wait comfortably. And the restrooms provided are not big enough, not enough pots available. Then the issue when you want to take a grab to the city. Why on earth did they organize it in a chaotic way? There is only one way to get your grab and everyone is gathering at that exit (don't remember what door at what level) or pushing his way through to go to his grab (at KLIA2). Useless and it makes no sense whatsoever. I made use of this airport 5 times in 2019 and once in January 2020. It is at times inevitable. They can shoot people to the moon nowadays and do more than that but I am not very positive they will do anything with these not too complex inconveniences. For those travelers who read this, just be prepared. For the managers or responsible people, do something about these complaints.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Staff are clueless as to people’s needs"

Trip Verified | In KLIA2, AirAsia terminal, there is very little going on. There are thousands of people wandering like sheep, lost, struggling with machines, and very few staff. Staff are clueless as to people’s needs - we were very willing to queue and manually check in our bags but because we look young and tech-happy we were forced to join the chaos at the machines. It was very upsetting as I get anxious about flying and I didn’t need this hassle. Next - we queued an hour and a half for immigration where the queue was like wacky races: “please, may I go in front as my flight leaves in 20/30 minutes” was commonplace. Then the terminal itself was a five. Many screens not working, the “movie lounge” is under construction. My only compliment would be to the secondary security check where staff were polite, friendly and efficient. In terms of food, there is a bit of choice - Chinese, Indian, Malay, Western outlets. Not great quality of food though.

"worst immigration experience"

Not Verified | The worst immigration experience possible. I don't know what happened to KLIA but all of my arrivals in 2019 and my arrival in 2020 so far have been horrible. To the point that I am now actively avoiding KLIA all together. The immigration lines are anywhere between 1-2 hrs. The moment you take pictures of the crazy lines the staff is very quick to spot you and "force" you to delete the photos. It is such a mess, why are they not fixing this? Avoid at all costs, it's not worth it!
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Half of the custom booths are empty"

Not Verified | Worst Immigration experience I’ve ever had. The queues are long and take more than an hour to pass through customs. Immigration staff are lazy and just milling around, occasionally going around aimlessly. Half of the custom booths are empty thus creating a bottleneck. My luggage was placed in the corner as another flight was using it. Anyone could take my luggage freely. Worst airport experience for me.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"most uncivilised airport I have experienced"

Not Verified | This regards the new(ish) terminal aimed at budget carriers. Certainly the worst and most uncivilised airport I have experienced. I say this without any reservation speaking as someone who has been to many, some of which were mere airless sheds - which were far more pleasant. Staff - many are openly rude to customers. Food options - awful. Seating - what seating? Walking times - flag down a buggy or good luck. Audio announcements - distorted, quiet, inaudible. We were only on an international transfer. Once through two (why two??) security/X-ray checks, you enter a long arm of gates with sparse and inadequate seating causing people to spill over on to the floors, sitting in the dingy corridors - that or pay through the nose for an equally crammed airport lounge. Should you wish to sit at your gate, you have to wait for adjacent closed-off seating areas to open up, which had far fewer seats than the plane we were boarding. This happened seemingly whenever staff fancied it, regardless of flight delays meaning everyone just needed a place to wait. Crucially - They won’t let you in without a further passport and boarding pass check after which - wait for it - they will attempt to physically prevent you from leaving to use one of the toilets visible through the glass door in the corridor you have just left. If you do make it past, and many did not, the tiny number of toilets guarantees queues for women. A final wound salting to this utterly mad state of affairs is that it is entirely unnecessary as a final passport and boarding pass check takes place (again) anyway before being allowed pass through the gate. Charming.