Houston IAH

"an absolute joke"

Not Verified | This airport is an absolute joke, most places to eat don’t accept cash? Couldn’t get a beer anywhere that would let me pay cash. Seriously a joke, washrooms were filthy, and no paper towel to dry hands. Worst airport I’ve been to.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"one of the dirtiest I've ever been to"

Trip Verified | I've flown in and out of George Bush Intercontinental numerous times over the years. Honestly, this is a hard airport to like because it just seems stuck in 1989. But this is also a hard airport to truly dislike, as I've never had a particularly negative experience there. The biggest selling point for me is that I don't ever remember coming across rude or gruff personnel, even TSA during peak traffic hours. I'm sure a rude TSA or ticket agent exists at Bush, because it's a massive American airport after all, but I've thankfully never encountered them! They have a pretty cool display in (I believe) the American terminal which walks one through the evolution of Houston's space program history, nothing fancy or attention-calling, just factual with a few artifacts. There is a selection of decent bars and restaurants throughout, though not much in the way of anything Texas-specific that I can recall. Other than these things, the terminals are dirty. United's terminals are separated and disjointed. Security lines can be painfully slow if you don't have TSA Pre-Check or clear. The airport is honestly one of the dirtiest I've ever been to in the developed world - yes, I just reiterated the point! Seating is very crowed, and so are places to actually charge your phone, iPad, or Kindle. As I said, it looks like the airport hasn't been updated (or, in some cases, even cleaned) since 1989 - when George H.W. Bush, this airport's namesake, was actually president! Some parts of the airport have an indescribably strange smell that I can only describe as dank and damp. The WiFi connectivity is something I'd expect in a developing African country (or Australia, where it's also surprisingly bad). The shuttle bus system from and to economy parking lots is just chaotic and abnormally unsystematic - and illogical. Honestly, if the City of Houston could just improve the layout and dump a lot of money into modernization, Bush would honestly be an amazing airport! Until then, it's like an old lawnmower: just barely running on choke mode while sitting in idle. What a shame.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"We were ignored by staff"

Trip Verified | The worst airport for customer service. We were ignored by staff too busy gossiping to acknowledge our existence. I witnessed an employee sleeping in a massage chair outside our gate. YAnother was seen belittling a traveler, telling him “well it’s always on the boarding pass. You could pay attention sometimes.”
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Very stressful experience"

Trip Verified | Weather issues shut down the IAH airport shortly after arrival. No problem - completely understand. We came in on a 10.5 hour international flight and were trapped between customs and security points waiting on luggage. Very little seating. 150+ passengers. The airport personnel were not unloading luggage so we sat for over an hour. We were told not to worry about connecting flights, since the airport was shut down. Well luggage came and we heard the boarding call for our connection. We dashed to the security point. We had pre-TSA tickets but there was no pre-TSA line. TSA personnel just shrugged and told us we had to get in line. We made it through and heard our final boarding call. Our carry-ons went thru the scanner, were sitting in sight but we could not reach them. We very politely asked 2 different TSA staff just to please push our carry-ons about 3 feet where we could grab them - both shook their heads "no" and would not help us. So, when we could reach our stuff, we grabbed it and ran like the wind. I didn't even get my shoes on. Had to race 10 gates to get to our flight. Mind you, we are 60-something old and running through the airport is not something we need to be doing. Glad we still do some jogging or we would not have made it. We have a profoundly disabled son at home and we needed to get home to relieve our staff before the shift ended. We made it home by the skin of our teeth! We had given ourselves 5 extra hours just in case. Very stressful experience. I hope passengers from other countries don't think this is the way Americans are.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Worst airport award goes here"

Not Verified | Worst airport award goes here. The most unorganized security lines I have experienced. I have traveled all over the world. Slow and nothing but slow. These folks need efficiency training in moving folks through and not create back up lines. Not enough lanes opened for sure.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Directions to terminals not clear"

Trip Verified | Worst airport ever. Directions to terminals not clear. Attendant gave me wrong directions. Bathrooms in terminal A were all out of order. Tried asking security personnel directions to a working restroom. Given a snippy response. Totally unprofessional.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Appalling introduction into the US"

Not Verified | Don't go to this airport unless you want to queue up for at least 1.5 hrs whilst 3 officers check your passports and onward travel. There was in excess of 300 people behind us and as people became vitriolic about the wait a female agent approached the queue and threatened to remove them to the back of the queue if they continued to complain. By the time we got to the carousel to collect our cases, they had been taken off and put to one side. This has to be the worst airport in the US and the rest of the country's I've visited. I've given it 1 star but really dose not deserve any. Appalling introduction into the US.
Date VisitMay 2019

"so slow and nobody cares"

Not Verified | This airports security check in process has to be one of the worst in the world. So, so, so slow and nobody cares! It is all about the money and purchasing TSA pre. This is one of the ugliest airports in so many ways and I wish I had other choices in getting out of Houston. Fly into another State if you can!

"where is common sense?"

Not Verified | After a lovely visit to the United States, our New Zealand family had the worst experience ever at the Houston International Airport. Their flight was cancelled on Friday night and was not rescheduled until Sunday evening. After going through TSA and having a humiliating experience only to find out they were not going to be able to fly out until Sunday evening. The people at TSA were rude and had my sister-in-law go through a horrible screening. She has had 2 knee surgeries and told the TSA about it. They didn't care, they put this sweet lady through a humiliating screening. We understand safety, but where is common sense? After their flight was cancelled, Air New Zealand gave them accommodations for 1 night. They had to reclaim their baggage. That took until 1 am because a belt on the baggage claim was broken. They had an extra 48 hours in Houston at their expense. Sunday arrives and they finally believe that they will be able to board the plane for a 13 hour trip to return home. My sister-in-law was very nervous because of the previous experience with TSA. Again she explained that she had metal in her knees due to surgeries. The TSA agents were again rude and disrespectful. They put her through the humiliation again! Many people dislike Americans. They find us rude. It is unfortunate that some make a name for us all. This is not the America we want the world to see.
Date VisitMay 2019

"arrival is amongst the worst ever"

Not Verified | My arrival experience was very similar to that described by the previous reviewer. It was utterly shambolic and I have spent much time over the years arriving into US airports. This particular arrival is up there amongst one of the worst ever. The passport machines rejected over 90% of all applicants and help (though not needed by myself) was not readily forthcoming at all to other passengers; when another passenger asked for assistance she was told, "no, not my problem. You should read it properly" by a staff member. I was in another lengthy line for just over an hour after receiving a cross on the paper from the passport machine. Out of the many desks available for use only two were open that particular evening and there were no other officers around. What never helped matters either was having the airport greeters walk up and down the line with various accoutrements attached to them like clipboards and radio handsets (to show how important they are no doubt) telling passengers that it is not their fault and not the fault of the officers either!. At least the immigration officer I saw was friendly particularly when he realised that I shared the same birthday as he. Departures through Terminal D back to LHR has nothing much to write home about in terms of restaurants. Would suggest that you eat elsewhere before arriving here. Not many seats around the gate area of D7 either.
Date VisitApril 2019