Houston IAH

"Customer service is extremely lacking"

Not Verified | Customer service is extremely lacking here! First of all, the guy checking in our luggage moved so slowly, the longer line next to us moved twice as fast at least. I was worried our car seats might not make it on the plane because we had to run off to security. We couldn’t wait to watch him put them on the belt for checked luggage. He just sat them on the ground next to him and moved like a slug doing I don’t know what. The airport is giant and you can’t see the TSA PreCheck from the regular security check line. So I asked a lady, she pointed and said, ‘Over there.’ Ok, short and to the point. We went to find where ‘over there’ was. Found the TSA PreCheck line but it didn’t display our gate # overhead. So I asked if it was the line for TSA PreCheck to our gate because it didn’t list our gate number. She just said, ‘Do you see the TSA PreCheck sign?’ I was so shocked by the tone and response I paused for a moment and said, ‘I don’t see our gate listed.’ She said, 'You walk around'. Everyone in our party was taken aback and told her there was no need for the attitude, just a simple question. She just continued to be snippy. We rushed past in a hurry to get through. We showed up exactly two hours earlier than our 6am flight and everything took so long, we made it to our gate 10 minutes before boarding! Getting on the plane was such a relief to be welcomed with the customer service that the Seattle based flight crew of Alaska Airlines always brings!
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"IAH has still not moved into understanding customer service"

Not Verified | Arrived on BA195 from LHR feeling relaxed due to the excellent service on the 9 hour 45 minute flight. Unfortunately IAH airport has still not moved into understanding customer service. Firstly my global entry application was ignored with an X printed on my receipt and then my wife and what appeared to be all other passengers arriving on ESTAs also had x printed on immigration receipt. We then duly joined the queue which moved very slowly for over 1 hour 30 minutes before arriving in front of immigration lanes. Unfortunately it was now 3pm local time which resulted in at least 90% of the gates closing and our processing taking an additional 40 minutes. Fortunately for us we had allowed 3 hours transit time for our connecting flight to MIA or otherwise we would have been like many other passengers in missing their connecting flight.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"rude and very unprofessional"

Not Verified | On 11-30-2019 I experienced terrible assistance from the wheelchair attendants, they were rude and very unprofessional. I overheard one worker say she didn’t need the job and she wasn’t going to deal with these people. One gentleman took me off the plane and left me sitting, my wife had to eventually push me because we had a connecting flight with a very short time limit due to sitting on the plane for a hour and a half, because first another plane was at our gate then the ramp would not line up with the plane. I understand it gets busy and confusing from time to time but that doesn’t mean you have to be disrespectful.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"direct wheelchair assistants"

Not Verified | Watch out if you need a wheelchair. To be picked up from the plane was pretty easy and on time. Until I was ask to hold in an area for 30 minutes for another person to roll me out. You may want a supervisor to direct those wheelchair assistants and give direction. It will expedite the process.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"disrespectful and downright mean"

Not Verified | I’m not sure what’s going on with these TSA, but they are rude, disrespectful and downright mean. I have several metal implants holding my spine together, and I told the TSA woman this. She insisted on doing her pat-down, which whatever, do your job, but she was so rude, and aggressive in her demeanour. She basically told me to shut up at least twice. Her partner was a man, and he was so embarrassed by her behaviour that he wouldn’t even look at me. It’s a very busy place, and once I went thru the full-body scanner, I didn’t hear it beep and there was no indication that I was not permitted to proceed, and it was someone else instructing me. So, I went to grab my things out of the grey box to get out of the way. She says to me, I didn’t say you could leave. Ok, I responded. Then she says, stand on that mat, and don’t move, but instead of asking as a normal person would, she’s talking to me like I’ve done something wrong. She then informs me she’s doing a pat-down, and she now has myself and two other ladies waiting for the same treatment. She then asks me if I have pain anywhere, I responded yes, I have pain in my back, she says again with needless aggression, I didn’t ask you about your back, I asked you if you have pain in the front (which was not what she said). She’s yelling this at me. She says I’m not patting down your back like I was somehow supposed to know what she meant! So, again I corrected myself, and I responded with no, I have no pain in my front. Then she does her pat-down but is going around my yoga pants waistband to my back and down my legs. Maybe the TSA could use a crash course to teach their representatives some basic anatomy as she most definitely was patting down my lower back. I also was holding my passport, you know normal behaviour to have your passport in hand in an airport, she says, put your passport down! Then she swabs my hands, she actually looked disappointed when she couldn’t find anything. Is this the way they treat visitors to their country? That was the most disgusting behaviour I’ve ever witnessed and experienced in an airport, ever! I’m all about keeping everyone safe, these safeguards are put in place to protect all of us, I agree with screening 100%. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. My disabilities are a big part of my life, and I do my best to fit in with everyone else, this woman should not have a job dealing with the public. She demonstrated quite proficiently that she has no regard for those with disabilities. Shame on you for treating people like this! You should be ashamed of yourself. My only regret is not getting her name. I will gladly pay more money next time, so I don’t have to go thru Houston.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Learn how to treat people"

Not Verified | Worst customer service ever! I went to pick up my husband who was able to come home from the military base for a short holiday weekend. I tried to get help with directions and security working were so rude and disrespectful. Learn how to treat people!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"an absolute joke"

Not Verified | This airport is an absolute joke, most places to eat don’t accept cash? Couldn’t get a beer anywhere that would let me pay cash. Seriously a joke, washrooms were filthy, and no paper towel to dry hands. Worst airport I’ve been to.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"one of the dirtiest I've ever been to"

Trip Verified | I've flown in and out of George Bush Intercontinental numerous times over the years. Honestly, this is a hard airport to like because it just seems stuck in 1989. But this is also a hard airport to truly dislike, as I've never had a particularly negative experience there. The biggest selling point for me is that I don't ever remember coming across rude or gruff personnel, even TSA during peak traffic hours. I'm sure a rude TSA or ticket agent exists at Bush, because it's a massive American airport after all, but I've thankfully never encountered them! They have a pretty cool display in (I believe) the American terminal which walks one through the evolution of Houston's space program history, nothing fancy or attention-calling, just factual with a few artifacts. There is a selection of decent bars and restaurants throughout, though not much in the way of anything Texas-specific that I can recall. Other than these things, the terminals are dirty. United's terminals are separated and disjointed. Security lines can be painfully slow if you don't have TSA Pre-Check or clear. The airport is honestly one of the dirtiest I've ever been to in the developed world - yes, I just reiterated the point! Seating is very crowed, and so are places to actually charge your phone, iPad, or Kindle. As I said, it looks like the airport hasn't been updated (or, in some cases, even cleaned) since 1989 - when George H.W. Bush, this airport's namesake, was actually president! Some parts of the airport have an indescribably strange smell that I can only describe as dank and damp. The WiFi connectivity is something I'd expect in a developing African country (or Australia, where it's also surprisingly bad). The shuttle bus system from and to economy parking lots is just chaotic and abnormally unsystematic - and illogical. Honestly, if the City of Houston could just improve the layout and dump a lot of money into modernization, Bush would honestly be an amazing airport! Until then, it's like an old lawnmower: just barely running on choke mode while sitting in idle. What a shame.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"We were ignored by staff"

Trip Verified | The worst airport for customer service. We were ignored by staff too busy gossiping to acknowledge our existence. I witnessed an employee sleeping in a massage chair outside our gate. YAnother was seen belittling a traveler, telling him “well it’s always on the boarding pass. You could pay attention sometimes.”
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Very stressful experience"

Trip Verified | Weather issues shut down the IAH airport shortly after arrival. No problem - completely understand. We came in on a 10.5 hour international flight and were trapped between customs and security points waiting on luggage. Very little seating. 150+ passengers. The airport personnel were not unloading luggage so we sat for over an hour. We were told not to worry about connecting flights, since the airport was shut down. Well luggage came and we heard the boarding call for our connection. We dashed to the security point. We had pre-TSA tickets but there was no pre-TSA line. TSA personnel just shrugged and told us we had to get in line. We made it through and heard our final boarding call. Our carry-ons went thru the scanner, were sitting in sight but we could not reach them. We very politely asked 2 different TSA staff just to please push our carry-ons about 3 feet where we could grab them - both shook their heads "no" and would not help us. So, when we could reach our stuff, we grabbed it and ran like the wind. I didn't even get my shoes on. Had to race 10 gates to get to our flight. Mind you, we are 60-something old and running through the airport is not something we need to be doing. Glad we still do some jogging or we would not have made it. We have a profoundly disabled son at home and we needed to get home to relieve our staff before the shift ended. We made it home by the skin of our teeth! We had given ourselves 5 extra hours just in case. Very stressful experience. I hope passengers from other countries don't think this is the way Americans are.
Date VisitJune 2019