Houston IAH

"Long lines to get through customs"

Not Verified | I was so embarrassed that this was our home airport. Flew home from Istanbul to Houston on August 1, 2022 terminal E. Long lines to get through customs, only a few windows open and officers obviously did not want to be there, most were moving very slow and rude. Got to baggage and our belt broke after only a few suitcases were gotten, had to wait 30 minutes while they fixed it instead of using one of the others. Then out to mass chaos to wait to be picked up, only one officer trying to keep things moving. Took our ride over an hour to get to us. After landing we didn’t get home until 3 1/2 hours later. This is totally unacceptable for an airport that is rated so high. I told my husband we would drive to another city before using this airport again.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"avoid this connection in the future"

Not Verified | I flew in from Buenos Aires and arrived at 5:30 a.m. on 7/29. Fantastic flight crew on United. Customs agents were upbeat and friendly even at the early hour. Those working the baggage recheck for connecting flights and security check to gates were extremely rude. I’m embarrassed that this might be someone’s first impression of our country. A woman literally yelling at people to move faster, on the top of her lungs. Over and over. Several young ladies being pushy in the security line - treating people like they were stupid. I’ve traveled quite a bit out of the country. I don’t know any other languages and I have never had anyone act like that ever. If you work in the international terminal there should be an understanding of a language barrier. And honestly just be kind and informative - not a bully. Not a good look Houston. Will avoid this connection in the future.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"failure at Terminal E"

Trip Verified | I'm having a hard time to find words about the failure at Terminal E/Intl Arrivals. For the second time I had to go through the misery. Once I left the building there was no way turning back. Officers yelling keep going, BUT there was no way to 'go'. Carts blocking the whole walkway and people are getting angry. This will destroy the IAH reputation for years to come. After long 10 hours plus flights people have to go through the failure of planning the construction. Nobody there to clear the luggage carts, nobody handing out water in the heat and everybody involved seemed to be overwhelmed or resigned since this is going on for so long. This crisis and chaos needs manpower and some brain to get some ease. Clear carts, water, support - all non existence for weeks and month now. Why not have shuttle buses to the whatever lot to clear out and ease the failure mess. I said it and will do again: "How can this have been so poorly been planned?" Who is responsible for the canned reputation of IAH? It took 2 hours in the heat to get picked up and I was lucky.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"This airport really is an embarrassment"

Not Verified | Someone please fire the airport director. This airport really is an embarrassment. I’ve travelled the world and never seen such an amateur show. The current construction works have been so poorly thought through that passengers arriving at multiple terminals are all funnelled into one passenger pick up area. Hundreds of tired and fed up people squeezing along between temporary barriers trying to get close to the road for their pick-up, all in the Texas summer heat. Cars arriving to pick up passengers are also squeezed into 1 then 2 lanes meaning there’s constant chaos at the pick up point. The police have zero effect. They just blow their whistles and aggressively wave at cars that are already moving the way they’re waving. TSA and immigration staff are also unnecessarily rude. Today I watched an immigration officer tell a traveler “take your ugly damn hat off” - utterly unprofessional and surely not the image the USA wants to portray to the world. Avoid this airport if you possibly can.
Date VisitJune 2022

"An embarrassment for Houston"

Not Verified | Construction and lane closures has made getting in and out of C terminal impossible. I waited literally 50 minutes to go about half a mile. I am not exaggerating. Totally unacceptable. An embarrassment for Houston. This is our international airport and face to the world? There is one car ramp to get to terminals CDE and once you're on it, there is no turning back or turning around or finding an alternate route. If there had been an emergency and an ambulance or fire truck had to get through, then forget about it. It's a serious public safety issue. Besides the ramp, there is another road full of cars that feeds into CDE, so you have multiple lanes of traffic funnelled into a bottleneck of two lanes: one lane is used officially to drop off and pick up DE passengers; the other lane meant for traffic to continue on to C terminal is used in reality to also drop off and pick up DE passengers. So both lanes become blocked. And there is no one there to direct people to move on from the two lanes. Bad for you if you have to drop off or pick up at DE. And super bad for you if you need to make it through that blockage so that you can actually get to C terminal. Houston Airport System, did you not think this through? You've done a horrible job planning. And you're doing a horrible job rectifying the mess of your lack of planning. Open up some lanes and hire employees to direct traffic!
Date VisitJune 2022

"no one there to assist anyone"

Not Verified | Our connecting flight was cancelled due to operations difficulty. I walked to multiple terminals to find someone to assist me. There was no one there to assist anyone. I finally went to the United first class lounge and a kind woman assisted me, although she told me she wasn't supposed to. Not everyone flying is accustomed to using smart phones to assist them and staff are needed at the terminals. Our luggage was lost for several days, and the only people who assisted were the Lake Charles and Baton Rouge United staff. I tried calling Lafayette, and no one answered the United phone
Date VisitApril 2022

"The Airport is difficult to use"

Not Verified | The Airport is difficult to use as the Concourses are very large with massive distances between in Concourse gates. For example gates 7-8-9 are close together and the next gates may be a football field distance away. There is an incredible amount of commercial space between gates making the distance between gates large. The Signage is poor and confusing with only arrows that point to Terminal/Concourse directions. Concourse C actually is in two buildings separated by a long distance. There should be fast people moving sidewalks all over the place. There are Airport maps but few and far between. I saw one. During my visit there was a severe weather problem so all planes were rerouted or held. Gate changes occurred frequently. I chased my plane from E to B, to C33 and o er to C9, back to B and back to C9. By then I was exhausted. I caught a handicapped ride from B to C once. The only solution I have is to cut the commercial space or put in rapid people moving sidewalks everywhere. I will avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitApril 2022

"this airport is a mess"

Not Verified | Literally the worst airport I’ve ever been to. Aside from the repeated airplane delays and repeated gate changes, this airport is a mess. There is little to no seating, and after asking staff how to get around we were told wrong directions repeatedly.
Date VisitApril 2022

"how awful the TSA people are to travelers"

(Micronesia)

Trip Verified | Arriving was a nice experience, everything was organized, professional attitude from Customs and Immigration staff and the arrival areas. The difference is at departure! I arrived and departed on the same day so I experienced the whole process in one. Many airlines do not have assigned counters until 3 hours before a flight so if you need to contact the airline anytime before that 3-hour window, there is no option! My departure flight was scheduled for 7:33 pm and it was delayed to 8:50 pm, I was at the airport at 3 pm with a web check-in boarding pass that didn´t work and NO counter for help until 5 pm. As soon as the boarding pass issue was finally solved then Security TSA barking and having just one machine for 6 flights so the queue and the mess was horrible only to be barked at when it was the turn to pass through the machine. Trying to find something simple and affordable to eat and the cheapest option was Wendy´s where the smallest combo was $12.79 and a regular small coffee was $4.49. I can go on and on about other stuff but I just can put more energy into recalling how bad Terminal D is, how awful the TSA people are to travelers.
Date VisitApril 2022

"I will pay to avoid this airport in the future"

Not Verified | The TSA agents are the rudest I have seen. They yell at the lines about stuff no one understands instead of using a speaker. I think they enjoy yelling. I travel a lot and this is the worst. They have this conveyor belt system. You are not allowed to fetch your own tray like 99% of all other airports. If you go to push the tray like you are used to, you are barked at. If you are not exactly on the line, barked at. You are not even allowed to carry your wallet through the checkpoint. DC was a smooth cakewalk compared to this. I will pay to avoid this airport in the future. Right now I am sitting sideways in a seat because it is bolted to the ground made for the size of a child. I am not even a big guy. Don't even get me started on how bad United is. They also installed some self checkout system at the bar. I am not paying for that. I really have come to dislike the USA. Mexico provides first class service compared to this.