Bangkok Don Muang Airport

"it was efficient"

Trip Verified | I've seen a lot of moaning about this airport, and it doesn't match my experience at all. Yes, it's old and run-down. It could do with a paint and a clean-up. But it's the budget airline terminal: if you want something fancy, pay more for your flight and be disappointed by Suvarnabhumi. I arrived at this airport on Air Asia from KL at about 9pm. We landed 30 minutes early, taxied for two minutes, and were connected almost immediately to an airbridge. We deplaned faster than I've ever seen before. There was no queue for immigration, but there was a slight delay because I had to go to a counter to ask for an immigration form: there were none in the queuing area and they were not handed out on the plane. So getting through immigration took me five minutes, including two minutes to fill out the form. By the time I got to the baggage hall, an official told me that our bags had all been taken off the carousel and were on the floor awaiting collection. Mine was there. There was then no queue for a taxi. I was in a taxi on the motorway before I was actually scheduled to land. Departure was on Scoot to Singapore, a week later, mid-afternoon. The check-in area was very crowded. There was a 5-minute queue for check-in for my flight. I then had a five-minute queue for passport control, and two or three minutes for baggage scans. That was it. I was through. Food options are limited, but there is a McDonald's, which was fine, and which charged normal McDonald's prices. I was able to get a seat there with no problem. The gate area was quite peaceful, with plenty of seats and plenty of recharging stations, and a good view of the apron. We pushed back 5 minutes early. Don Muang is not pretty. But, for me at least, it was efficient. Suvarnabhumi, on the other hand, is grand, but it's too big, it's horrible to get around, and immigration and security are slow and inefficient. And the food options are abysmal. Given the choice, I'd choose Don Muang over Suvarnabhumi every time.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"slow immigration"

Trip Verified | Be warned of slow immigration. I was stuck at immigration for over 1 hour before my flight. Not enough counters to process the passengers. Would have missed my flight had I not approached an immigration officer to use the ‘fast track’.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"The airport is very run down"

Not Verified | The airport is very run down. It is not equipped to handle the number of travellers using it. The lines are chaotic and unbelievably long. Because of this confusion, I left my iPad in a bin going through security. I hope I can get it when I am there again in a couple of days. However in the future I will avoid this airport. It needs a cleaning and a facelift and overhaul to handle the number of people using it.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Queuing times very long"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Queuing times very long when arriving. Over one hour in the queue to get to immigration official. Dilapidated buildings which didn't worry me, however much needs to be done to process passengers efficiently.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport itself is run down and shabby"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | The worst airport ever. A literal proletarian hellhole. It takes forever for immigration to process one person. Most of the counters are closed, yet you can see some ground staff walking around leisurely with nothing to do. When someone requested for an extra counter to be opened to deal with the longer lines, we heard the staff rudely asking him to bear with it or get lost. Horrible work ethics displayed, I have never seen such rude behaviour from airport staff in all my years of travelling internationally. The airport itself is run down and shabby with little to offer in terms of facilities. Makes me wonder why I even have to pay the airport tax for this kind of ridiculous service. Food at the airport is overpriced like all other airports. Thailand is a lovely country but this horrible airport experience definitely makes me think twice about coming back.
Date VisitJune 2019

"very bad overall experience"

Trip Verified | Security staff has very bad attitude problems. It is chaos everywhere. The staff does not have adequate English skills. There is not enough equipment for security checks. It is a very bad overall experience.
Date VisitJune 2019

"immigration chaotic, disorganised"

Not Verified | International arrivals immigration chaotic, disorganised, massive queues, half the channels closed, takes 5 minutes for each traveller to be processed. Some people ignored the lines and just jumped the queue - disgusting, officials just ignored it. Waited 90 mins to get through, complete nightmare. Will never fly into this place again, will definitely use Suvarnabhumi.
Date VisitMay 2019

"airport seems run down"

Trip Verified | Considering tourism is one of Thailand’s main exports then I’m amazed to find such a low quality airport as Don Muang. Had to spend 3 hours here waiting for our connecting flight to Singapore. The airport seems run down with very little restaurant or bar offering. Amazing in a world where countries compete giving their guests an excellent service. Thailand is a lovely country but unfortunately we have to come thru an airport like Don Muang.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"very crowded queues"

(China)

Not Verified | I travel a lot and this is just the most horrible airport I had to depart. You have to be very careful as checking in , passing immigration and gettng your luggage sceened can take 4 hours and in very crowded queues!
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"It was clean"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | The airport is not as big as the BKK so is easier and faster to get around. It was clean, with some shops and a lot of light. Prices weren't expensive and had a good air-conditioning.
Date VisitJanuary 2019