Addis Ababa Airport

"worn down, shabby"

Trip Verified | The best way to describe the Ethiopian Airlines experience via Addis Ababa to Zanzibar is wearing an expensive suit with used tatty shoes. I think that's fair comment. I mean they have bought many if the latest A350 aeroplanes costing over $300m each, which in my view is the best aircraft out there , better than the A380 or the dreamliner. But their airport is the worst airport I have ever been to. I was unfortunate enough to spend six hours in it and it was the worst experience due to the place being worn down, shabby, derelict and lack of facilities for the millions of passengers they have started to bring with their latest state of the art aircraft. The washroom facilities - disgusting. Resting facilities - non existent. Lounges - no better than the rest - staff helpfulness is pathetic (I have found other people in the region to be more friendly). Space non existant as the place is teaming with people. Security checks - why on earth do I need to be checked twice after just getting off an aircraft? The security took my lighters twice! Basically, some person thought it's perfectly fine to just buy new aircraft and not bother about the airport. I'm not going to fly Ethiopian again because of this (Kenyan Airways much better and more friendly).
Date VisitNovember 2017

"no attempt to enforce the no smoking signs"

Trip Verified | An airport terminal full of cigarette smoke - stay away. 5 hours of breathing in hideous cigarette smoke - with many people puffing away outside the smoking rooms the general seating area soon became full of smoke - when I raised this with staff, they said there as nothing they could do, with one complaining that it was very bad that he had to work in these conditions. There was no attempt to enforce the no smoking signs. Unbelievable given the health evidence, not to mention then having to travel on a long haul flight stinking of cigarette smoke. To top it off we nearly missed our flight as the gate was changed, without an announcement or changing the departure information. Also the WiFi didn’t work. Horrible experience.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"disappointed by the Business Class facilities"

Trip Verified | My arrival at Bole was unfortunately not what I expected. Amid the chaos, I was disappointed by the Business Class facilities. No showers, dirty and basic ablutions and the lighting of fires as part of a traditional ceremony with spices and herbs emitting a pungent, unpleasant smoke filled atmosphere. This might be part of a cultural experience, but it is not to everyone’s taste and certainly not in any Business Class Lounge. I made my way towards security to board the onward flight and initially waited 15 minutes in a queue reserved for Priority Customers. The machines stopped working and we were re-directed to the facility for regular passengers, and by this time the queue extended all the way down the hall. I eventually arrived at the point where I placed a number of items into the grey plastic trays used to hold passengers effects prior to being screened. I used three trays as I had three items that required screening, including a belt, phone, travel documents, a boarding card and a metal watch, all of which had to be scanned. Due to the exceptionally large number of people around and the confusion, I gathered my possessions and noticed my boarding card and watch were missing. I alerted the staff that were preoccupied with the huge influx of passengers and I was largely ignored. I persisted and asked for someone to call for the Police. This was declined and I was told there are no police on the airside section of the airport. I then asked for an airport manager and I was advised there was no airport manager on duty at the time. I was then sent to the relevant flight Supervisor, who recognised my distress and frustration and we returned to the security section. One of the women security officers laughed at me, which was infuriating and offensive. We mentioned this to the Security Officer and he could shed no light on the disappearance of the items. I accompanied the flight supervisor to the gate and a new boarding card was issued to me, albeit in a different seat. My initial seat was 1L and the replacement seat was 1D. Just prior to boarding the flight, my original boarding pass was mysteriously located in the security section, but not the watch. The entire experience was appalling. I resent the fact I was unable to elicit help from the Police and the chaos was unnerving.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"avoid it like the plague"

Trip Verified | Ethiopian Airlines is a fast growing operation trying to position itself as an efficient and cost-effective airline serving most African destinations from Europe, America and Asia. Personally I am happy with the service provided by this airline however should I fly to Africa again I will not choose it even if the fare is competitive because of the Addis Ababa connection transfer. I am not sure whether ADD is the worst airport I have used but it certainly is within the top five of the world´s worst and two weeks afterwards I am still struggling to find anything vaguely positive about it. My own personal peeve as already mentioned by other reviewers is the useless double security scan (to be fair also implemented in other Ethiopian airports). It is supposed to be very thorough but it´s just slow and inefficient not to mention useless. You need to remove shoes, belts, wallet etc. however a bottle of water which I had forgotten to remove from my hand luggage passed through the scanner without a hitch. Any other comment about this airport has already been outlined by previous reviewers. There is little I can add and I can only confirm: horribly overpriced shops, terrible restaurants, pathetic lounges, overcrowded departure halls, dirty and dark. If you are flying to Ethiopia you have no choice. If you are using it as a transfer point avoid it like the plague.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"one of the world worst airports"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Certainly one of the world worst airports, overcrowded, chaotic, old, with non-functioning escalators, badly located screens, miserable announcements, undisciplined queuing for security checks, and worst of all, a place where loosing your luggage has a high probability. I passed 16 times in 6 years through this airport (8 return trips), lost my luggage twice.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"terminal is dark, dirty, and chaotic"

Unverified | Transiting Addis Ababa in business class. First time flying Ethiopian Airlines - and I'm very impressed with their business class service. But their hub at Addis Ababa is the worst airport I've ever visited and that includes grass strips in small South Pacific islands. I must truly rethink ever traveling using Ethiopian Airlines to transit at Addis Ababa Airport. The terminal is dark, dirty, and chaotic. The personnel are helpful, but certainly don't go overboard in their efforts. The real zenith of the Addis experience is Ethiopian's "Business Lounge." Not really a lounge at all. Just a separate collection of your average airport chairs arranged in no particular order. There is no food, no beverages, no entertainment (other than the other fliers in the lounge.) The bathrooms are below average indesign, upkeep, and cleanliness and are located outside the "lounge." You must temporarily surrender your passport to leave for the adjacent bathroom (even though the bathrooms are solely for the use of "lounge" customers.) In other words, the terminal has all the latest in African logistics and amenities. Overall, I rate it on the level of a bad Greyhound Bus station. The good Greyhound Bus stations are far superior.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"One of the worst airports"

Unverified | One of the worst airports I have ever flown into or out of. Do not bring kids here. Not a good place for families. Security takes forever both times. Immigration is as long or longer than security. Once you get through the first security and immigration there are a few restaurants they are all bad. There are no seats to take a break. The airport is too small for the number of people. The toilet facilities remind me of facilities that were in use 40 years ago in the developed world. Then after the second security screening there is no water and you have to wait in more lines like sardines in a can. I was so happy to leave this place.

"dirty waiting areas"

Unverified | Passed through this airport two times during Oct '17. I have never seen such a slipshod operation in my life. Busses from planes to terminals don't even drop passengers at same door, multiple security screenings for transit passengers, dirty waiting areas without access to restrooms, airport personel too rude to answer questions (vacant stares or noncommittal shrugs for the most part). I believe a group of 5 year old children could do about as good of a job running this airport as the present staff.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"dirty, inefficient, smelly, old"

(Italy)

Verified Review | If possible avoid having to pass through here for more than an hour. My flight was delayed by over 3 hours and the only info I got was through sms from Ethiopian Airlines for an over 3 hour delay. Arriving in the early morning is total chaos and you will not be able to find a seat, let alone a couch to lie down. There are a few scattered in dirty prison like rooms. Security checks, new body scanner but old convoy belt so shoes, clothes, computers all go together. In few words, dirty, inefficient, smelly, old.

"Avoid at all costs"

Verified Review | We were transit at this airport from Cape Town to Dublin , we were given a transit time of 50 minutes and during that time we were ferried to the Addis Ababa terminal where we had to go through security again. The airport was crowded with limited signs telling you where to go and Muslim men were praying openly on one floor and again the same for Muslim women on another in what was public ground. When we got to our gate there were people queuing in a normal fashion in couples or small families behind each other and then up the sides of each line people would ignore the queue and race to the front so the queue resulted in a continuing mob at the front and a long line. My partner decided to ask if we could be rushed through as we would miss our flight he returned and a little later a Ethiopian line steward told me to get in line, I was standing next to my partner she pushed me and said one behind the other that is how we queue while everyone around was at least two fold again she ignored our pleas and let people behind us up to the queue in front. I knew in Addison Abbas I had no rights as a woman and had to accept the assault and may I warn you there is no complaints line. Avoid at all costs.
Date VisitAugust 2017