Turkish Airlines

"Spend the extra money to travel with a proper airline"

Trip Verified | The worst customer service of any airline and airport I have ever flown with. The airline staff were shouting at customers, not listening to anyone’s comments, and were completely uncaring of their duties. I have flown with multiple airlines and this was by far the worst customer service I have ever received in an airline. The manager of Turkish Airlines Transfer Desk would ignore people and he had the audacity to shout at me and at other customers. The two men present at the gate for my flight from Istanbul to Dubai (TK758 on the 26 of June) were extremely rude, and they loudly told me and another customer to “Shush”. More so, they displayed an antagonistic and racist attitude towards the other person who was flying. My first and last time with Turkish Airlines. Spend the extra money to travel with a proper airline.
RouteFrankfurt to Dubai via Istanbul

"Would not recommend"

Trip Verified | This trip was one from hell and Turkish Airlines has done nothing after the trip to try and make it right. Issues encountered, LAX - IST, 13 hour flight. Paid for WiFi which didn't work. Meal service was fish or pasta and they quickly ran out of pasta and didn't account for people not wanting/eating fish, so didn't get a meal. Turkish response: we are not responsible for the WiFi or the food onboard. IST - TLV, flight was full and my headrest was not on the seat and it was a metal holder bar where it should be. You can imagine this was very uncomfortable for my head. Turkish response: we'll give you a little miles but only for our miles program versus your United program. After a lot of back and forth I accepted but haven't gotten the miles as their apps and site are broken and it's impossible to open an account with them. Trip home, IST-LAX, luggage broken. Been a month since I submitted a claim and haven't heard anything. Have called multiple times to have this expedited, no response. The lack of care, compassion, or customer service is beyond me. Would not recommend.
RouteLos Angeles to Tel Aviv via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"assigned my preferred seat to someone else"

Trip Verified | I had chosen my seat in advance so I would have a comfortable seat and leg room for the duration of my long flight. When I got to the airport to check in, they had screwed up my seat preference and assigned a regular seat for my first flight from Toronto to Istanbul. I was extremely upset, everyone boarded and they had me waiting, no one had any idea how or why my seat preference was changed. They knew I had paid extra but they didn’t know why it was changed. They told me some how they had me listed as wheelchairs accessible person, which I am not and perfectly capable of doing anything on my own. They couldn’t solve my problem and ended up taking a regular seat. Then in Istanbul again they had assigned my preferred seat to someone else due to overbooking. I was extremely upset and disappointed. Again I ended up leaving with a regular seat. Not even once they apologized.
RouteToronto to Tehran via Istanbul

"No attention to detail"

Trip Verified | No attention to detail from flight crew. Plane temp was rather warm. Flight crew almost completely absent during middle 8hrs of trip. Seat wouldn’t recline. 1 lavatory was inaccessible on 12 hour flight.
RouteParis to Los Angeles via Istanbul
Date FlownJune 2022

"Customer service is awful"

Trip Verified | London to Kuala Lumpur via Istanbul. Turkish Airlines are one of the worst companies out there in terms of customer service and customer satisfaction. Unless you fly business class or buy tickets from them. Do not expect any help whatsoever from them. When they change flight schedules or cancel your flight. They don't take any responsibility. They will throw you under the bus and leave you to deal with the hassles yourself. I used to think they are good but ever since the pandemic hit. They started slacking. Staff are rude on the phone, Lounges are terrible. Customer service is awful to say the least. I will never fly with them again.
RouteLondon to Kuala Lumpur via Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2022

"missed that flight with another airline"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Worst experience ever. I flew with Turkish airlines from Berlin through Istanbul to Bangkok where I had another flight to Hanoi. My flight from Berlin and Istanbul were all delayed for an hour, but the flight from Bangkok to Hanoi did not change the schedule. So I missed that flight with another airline (from Bangkok to Hanoi), but Turkish Airlines did not take any responsibilities or arrange another flight from Bangkok to Hanoi for me.
RouteBerlin to Bangkok via Istanbul
Date FlownJune 2022

"food quality overall is good"

Not Verified | Air crew service overall was fine just only an air stewardess a bit grumpy and judgmental, not happily help customer arrange cabin baggage. The diabetic meal option serves the same food which i don't mind, the food quality overall is good. The air ventilation is ok and the toilets are replenished with tissue papers. I think the economy class seats space are alright. The check in timings are quite on time, just long queue at Istanbul airport. Could have served mineral water more frequently for passengers.
RouteManchester to Kuala Lumpur via Istanbul
Date FlownJune 2022

"asking compensation under EC Regulation"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Turkish Airlines has a good quality of aircraft and inflight services. Unfortunately the online customer service is terrible. On 30th April 2022 I've been denied to board on my fly because, according to Turkish Airlines database, I couldn't fly to Doha without the pre-registration to the Qatar Covid website. As I carefully checked before flying the Qatar government updated the Covid regulations in March 2022 with new regulations for EU citizens fully vaccinated, whose don't need pre-registration to enter the Country anymore and even Turkish Airlines website was reporting the same guideline for Qatar at the time I flew. I waited 3 hours at the airport that the Turkish office opened for the next fly and I explained the whole situation to the receptionist on shift who immediately understood the situation. As he was reading the same guidelines on the system, which didn’t match the Qatar government website, he immediately sent a message to the DOP in Doha to get confirmation about whether the “pre-registration” was compulsory for EU citizens. Unfortunately, for me, the answer didn’t arrive until the next day, so I decided to leave the airport at 7:30 pm waiting to be contacted and see if I could fly on next day. The following morning at 9am I received a call from the ticketing office confirming that I could board the plane to Doha without “Pre-registration” and that there was an available flight on the same day (1st of May). I was right and I could fly, after spending the whole previous day at the airport because the airline mistake. I've been trying to explain all this situation to the online customer service, asking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004. It's now June and I'm still receiving silly replies from the customer service, showing me that they don't want to take any responsibility for the situation. When you consider to book a fly with this company, I recommend you to take in consideration that if something goes wrong you wouldn't receive any help or assistance from them.
RouteMilan Malpensa to Doha via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"attempting to make a change to my return flight"

Trip Verified | A nightmare for customer support/service. I needed to change my flight, but this cannot be done via the app nor via the website. When I called the customer support number, they could not book the flights that I saw online nor at the prices I saw online. I am currently abroad and attempting to make a change to my return flight and, as this simple act can't be done via the app nor via the website, and the "customer support" centers apparently don't accept Skype calls (well, the answer, let you make a selection, then promptly hang up on you), it is nearly impossible to make a change to a ticket. The customer service for Turkish Airlines is the worst I have ever encountered - not just for airlines, but for any industry I have ever needed customer service. I will never fly with this airline again and I would never recommend anyone fly with this airline. Turkish Airlines: please create an app whereby the customer can actually manage their booking. Please link your systems such that, when one is so fortunate to speak with an actual customer support person, they have access to the fares and flights listed on your website. Please stop being an obstacle to your customers and start trying to make your customers' lives a little easier.
RouteNew York to Jakarta via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"missing my connection to Zurich"

Trip Verified | My flight from Cyprus to Istanbul was delayed, the pilot blamed European air traffic control, which resulted in me missing my connection to Zurich. Istanbul Airport is massive but is designed more for shopping and eating than flying. The amount of walking required is insane. After asking multiple people I finally found the Turkish Airlines help desk. They told me the next flight to Zurich was full so they booked me the following day. I also had to pay $30 to get a Turkish visa. Turkish Airlines then has you go to the hotel desk which required asking another 5 or 6 people for directions. Then you're sent to transportation which involved waiting 30+ minutes for a bus. They put us up in this older hotel on the outskirts of the city with nothing of interest to a tourist nearby. It was also not near any public transit options. My flight the next morning was at 8:05am and Turkish Airlines had the shuttle come pick us up at 4am. The driver was 35 minutes late picking us up. The experience was horrendous. I've flown Turkish several times in the past with no problems but would definitely avoid them now if it involves connecting in the new airport.
RouteErcan to Zurich via Istanbul