Turkish Airlines

"did not refund my money yet"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | My flight was cancelled but Turkish Airlines did not refund my money yet. The ticket sales office at Budapest airport suggested to write an email as they are just a sales office. The phone no. of (closed) hungarian office cannot be reached. After 20 emails, 7 formal feedback requests on int site and 8 calls with int customer representatives still 0 update. Worst airline I came across.
RouteBudapest to Nairobi via Istanbul

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Very bad experience with Turkish Airlines. I initially booked a return flight on the 7th of January 2023 from Hong Kong to Paris with a 4 hours transfer in Istanbul. With no apparent reason, they decide to move the Hong Kong - Istanbul flight to the 6th of January, which means now I have a 29 hours transfer instead of 4 hours. I tried to ask for compensation, but did not get a single cent. At the phone and by e-mail they either send me to my agency where I bought the tickets or they give me conventional, pre-made excuses. At their airport stand they send me to a Turkish Airlines agency, at the Turkish Airlines agency they send me to their central offices in Taksim. So in conclusion, I had to pay upwards of 150 euros (hotel + taxis + meals) from my own pocket and waste a full day at a place where I did not intend to be and loose one day at my initial destination.
RouteHong Kong to Paris via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"poor quality of service"

Trip Verified |  Departure around 17.00, the meal as show on ticket consisted of 1 m bun and water. The connecting flight was delayed, another 3,5 hours, same story: 1 small bun and water. Pushed the flight attendants button: they came to shut it off and no No onboard entertainment. Very poor quality of service. Never ever again, that's for sure
RouteDusseldorf to Iistanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"I tried to get compensation"

Trip Verified | My outbound flight was delayed by a couple of hours in Manchester, and I missed the connection in Istanbul. On arriving in Istanbul, there was no apology or direction of what to do, I was stuck in the airport for almost 6 hours. There was no food or drink offered, no accommodation, just a new boarding pass. Having sat in an uncomfortable chair for the delay and waiting for the first flight out in the morning, my flight took off and arrived in Kayseri. I had a bad feeling at the luggage collection and just knew my bad luck was to continue. No sign of my luggage and the conveyor belt stopped. I was told to go to another location of the airport as my luggage was there. On arriving, I was told my luggage was still in Manchester and had not been loaded to my original flight. I registered my contact details and was given a reference number and number on Whatsapp. I was told my luggage would be there the next day. One night without my luggage wasn't ideal but manageable. The next day I whatsapped the number, which was Kayseri airport, not Turkish Airlines and they said it had not arrived and to contact the airline. I had to call an international number, costing me money each time, to get information on where my bag was. I was told later that day it would arrive. I got no call and followed up that day, no luggage. I was in Kayseri for 4 days and my luggage didn't arrive there at any point. 4 days without my own clothes, toiletries, shoes, etc. Each day, I received no communication from the airline and had to call them, at a cost, to see where it was. They had no idea and couldn't tell me where it was or when it would arrive. I had to go shopping on Day 3, to buy new underwear, clothes and shoes, as I could not wear the same clothes the whole time. The airline said keep all receipts for costs associated with this and I would be compensated. My luggage finally arrived in Istanbul airport, when I left Kayseri after 4 days and 4 nights without my luggage. It cost me over $200 to buy new clothes, taxis, phone costs, etc. It ruined the 4 days in Kapadokya. On returning home, I tried to get compensation for the lost luggage, which has been a nightmare. They did compensate me for the delay, per EU rules, however they will not meet my costs for the delayed luggage, not even paying me enough to buy new clothes and essential items. They were responsible for ruining my holiday to Kapadokya, yet they will not compensate me for these 4 days, let alone meet the essential costs. No apology, no responsibility, just automated answers about how they love treating their customers as a priority and look forward to welcoming me again. I would avoid TK if there is another option, their customer service is severely lacking, they have no care for customers who want to enjoy Turkey and boost tourism.
RouteManchester to Kayseri via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2022

"Service and decency not present"

(Austria)

Not Verified | So far, I have never had such a bad experience as with Turkish Airlines. Generally speaking, the flight staff on the plane are friendly, but that is the only positive thing about this airline. In my example, the flight was already rebooked on the outward flight because of Turkish Airlines. The situation continued on the return flight, when they once again rebooked the return flight two weeks in advance at inhuman times with eternal delays. As if that wasn't enough, they cancelled this already rebooked inhumane flight 10 hours before departure. Turkish Airlines only needed a short email to cancel without any possible contacts or other options. At the airport, the fun really started. Seeing that the flight was still available and that more and more people with the same problem were piling up, Turkish Airlines still didn't have enough reason to act. 10 minutes before the end of check-in, they were content to calmly do something. However, without success and above all without compensation or even an "apology". Service and decency are probably not even present at this airline.
RouteDelhi to Stuttgart via Istanbul

"love their service"

Trip Verified | Great customer service, best airline - love their service, always use them for my overseas travel needs, they always work with us in case we have any problems, highly recommend them.
RouteHouston to Beirut via Istanbul
Date FlownMarch 2022

"booking was cancelled with no explanation"

(Lithuania)

Not Verified | Our booking request was cancelled with no explanation at the last minute as we were already near airport and we were told to find a new booking. They offered only a money refund and no compensation for accommodation or other flight. And the refund only after 30 days! So how we can book another flight?
RouteBali to Vilnius via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"staff told flight overbooked"

Trip Verified | Flight TK54 delayed for 4.5 hours. Info counter staff nearby gate F1 told flight TK 54 no delaying and go to gate D15 asap which end up was wrong info. Info counter staff nearby gate D1 (being directed wrongly to gate D15) told can get rest and coffee + snacks at Denied Boarding Room not far from gate D1. Staff at denied boarding room told ‘turn left two times and go to Care Point from gate D1 - should turn right! After cruising the whole airport I finally stop in front of info counter not far away from Center Big Screen of Duty Free Area and ask for Care Point location but rudely shouted at by counter staff. When finally came to new boarding time (after 4.5 hours), the staff told flight overbooked and needed 11 pax to be offloaded.
RouteSingapore to Munich via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2022

"I still don't have my bag"

Trip Verified | The worst experience I have ever had! The app is horrible and faulty, I could never get my miles and smiles rewards number to work and no one to help me, they lost my luggage and the phone number given to me did not work. After many calls the rep on the phone said they couldn't help me and the system was not updated. They rerouted my flight and never gave me a ticket to my destination and I had to pay for an additional ticket from a different airline. Again the customer service agent in Istanbul told me he did not know what to do, and told me to call a number in the USA that didn't work. The seating arrangements were messed up with multiple people having the same seats. Not one person who works for this airline could ever give me any information. All the answers were answered with "I don't know". I still don't have my bag after they said they found it and would send me a tracking number.
RouteEntebbe to Washington via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2022

"customer service is absolutely horrible"

Trip Verified | I must say, there cannot be a WORSE airline than Turkish airlines. The customer service is absolutely, ridiculously horrible, and they have no clue as to how to handle any sort of claim whatsoever. I made a reservation last February in 2022, and had to cancel it in a couple of days. They said they couldn’t give me a refund which is OK because it was non-refundable fare. However, they said I would get an airline credit for $813 which I could use towards a ticket in the future. - Provided I made my reservation by Feb 23, 2023. The travel date could be for a future date AFTER Feb 23, 2023 as stated by the reservation agent - I could use the credit for ANY destination in the world within their network (again not true, it had to be the same route) However, I tried to make a reservation in December 2022 and now they tell me that there is a change fee of $270. Which was not communicated to me. Also, they said that I have to travel AND RETURN by Feb 23, 2023 which was not communicated to me. Finally, I opened up a ticket and after hundreds of calls back-and-forth with imbeciles operating the phones at Turkish airlines. Not a single responsible person manager could relate to the case and do the right thing. I recommend do not travel this airline if you want to keep your sanity and your money!
RouteDallas to Mumbai via Istanbul