Turkish Airlines

"Very bad service"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Istanbul. Very bad service, would never recommend to anyone. There's no wheel chair available. My mom is disable and they made her walk 4 km. Worst service ever. No body speaks English nor polite. The lady who was dealing with wheelchair was very rude. This was my big mistake trying to travel through Istanbul to go Jeddah as it's big hurdle to change airport with all luggage and reach late to other airport because of traffic. They took 2 hours to just get my mom to baggage claim no 9.
RouteAtlanta to Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"WiFi onboard was pretty fast"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Bangkok via Istanbul. Crew were attentive, except one female crew in TK 1952 from AMS. Which I thought cabin crew for BC has always been the chosen ones, but I was wrong. Onboard catering is delightful, thanks to Do&Co, except the scrambled egg for breakfast. It was not scramble egg that I know, watery almost like porridge / congie egg. I was having me time at the lavatory, the door being knocked loudly from outside What shock me the most is that, the lady who were in the queue was economy passenger. Cbin crew must have recognize their BC passangers. Told to the cabin manager, and luckily she responded professionally. WiFi onboard was pretty fast.
AircraftA330-200 / 300
RouteAmsterdam to Bangkok via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"Catering service was very poor"

Trip Verified | Dammam to New York via Istanbul. Traveled in business class on a 14+ hour trip. Catering service in the flight was very poor. Had asked for special meal due to dietary restrictions. After boarding, special meal was confirmed by cabin crew. However at the time of service, cabin crew acted as if they didn't know anything about special meal. This was the second time this has happened to me in Turkish Airlines business class on IST-JFK route. When I gave feedback to their online portal, I was told that special meal was available and I chose not to eat it. Why would a person with dietary restrictions choose not to eat their preferred meal on a 10+hr flight? Also wanted a bottle of water and could not get it after asking the flight attendant multiple times. Saw other passengers were given bottles of water. It is more convenient to have a bottle than to get up and get a small glass of water multiple times. Lesson learnt is to eat at the airport before boarding long haul TK flights and grab a few bottles of water from the lounge in IST. You never know if you will get food and water on board.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A321
RouteDammam to New York via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"uncaring crew and staff"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Lahore via Istanbul. Very poor service and uncaring crew and staff. Hope to never have to fly with them again. The ground staff to the plane crew, felt like they hated their jobs and were miserable. Unapologetic and uncaring to the max! The lady at the IST airport at the check in con yet couldn’t find my reservation even after providing my PNR code and 5 mins later when she did, she made us feel like it was our fault for some reason. Horrible customer service. The planes on both routes were super old! They need upgraded planes after spending so much money building that new airport. The old planes don’t do justice. Spend a little more if you can, and fly with an airline that actually cares about their passengers.
RouteLos Angeles to Lahore via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"zero concept of customer service"

Trip Verified | Dar es Salaam to Washington via Istanbul. Initially when I was traveling out of Dulles, the gate agent told me to sit down and wait till boarding was completed; fair game since I was standby. Finally I got on the flight all the way to Dar es Salaam without any problem in the class that I listed for. On the return leg when I reached Istanbul and went to the transfer desk, I was told to go through security and go to the transfer desk on the other side (what is even more pathetic that Turkish Airlines staff level of English is appalling or they just have no interest in learning/speaking it). I went to the transfer desk by my gate and was given a confirmed seat in business class. When the time came for boarding, I was told to sit aside because business class was "full" and I said to the gate agent, "why did you give me a boarding pass for a confirmed seat?" and he got annoyed at me then I said "since you want to downgrade me, I am demanding my money back" to which his reply was "you contact Turkish Airlines for that" and throughout the entire period he continued to be rude and condescending even though he knew I was a crew member. At one point he even threatened to close the gate if I didn't decide what I wanted to do. Long story short, I got thrown out of business class into economy and got treated like dirt. Having a codeshare/Zed ticket doesn't give any gate agent or rep to be rude or condescending because I am still a customer at the end of the day. Turkish Airlines needs to change their behavior and lose their arrogance. First off they need to learn how to speak English proficiently in today's travel industry. The last thing any customer wants is to struggle to understand someone behind a desk who doesn't speak English. Secondly they need to learn how to treat customers because they have zero concept of customer service. A shiny new airport and new jets do not mean anything or hold no ground if customer service is non-existent.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 787
RouteDar es Salaam to Washington via Istanbul

"food was good"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Istanbul. The flight was delayed for around 50 minutes in departure. Ground staffs were good at Amsterdam Schiphol airport. Cabin crew were good, food was good. This airline sent me a email offering me a compensation of 300 Euro due to the dela).
RouteAmsterdam to Istanbul
Date FlownJune 2019

"Be careful flying with this company"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | I took a flight with Turkish Airlines from Stockholm to Tunis via Istanbul on Monday and it's has been almost three days and I don't know anything about my in checked baggage! They don't even know where is the bag or what it did happen to it. When I contact their customer service they just ask me to follow my application online and tell that they will contact me as soon as possible but they never do. They have the same answer that they copy past. Be careful flying with this company.
RouteStockholm to Tunis via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"worse than any low cost airline"

(Albania)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Tirana via Istanbul. The ground staff and customer service are incompetent, way worse than any low cost airline. My 70+ years old parents had to spend a day at the Istanbul airport and buy a new ticket because they couldn't get two boarding passes for two Turkish Airline flights (separate) from the check-in desk. You'd say online check-in, sure .. 'Sorry our system does not work, we're still in pre-Ataturk times'. Their luggage was sent to destination, but the 19th century system and useless staff could not handle two Turkish Airline tickets. Customer service keeps saying: 'we can't take care of luggage for two separate flights with us', even though missing the connecting flight is unrelated to luggage (which I repeated 10 times now).
RouteBangkok to Tirana via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2019

"improve staff attitude"

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Singapore. The aircraft is nice and cabin is well maintained. I appreciate that Turkish still maintain a 3-3-3 layout for B777 while some others start to allocate 10 seats per row. The entertainment system is good with a great choices of movie. The first thing annoying is the long queue at boarding gate. The gate staff check visa one by one at boarding, which is usually done by counter staff at check-in instead. The meal choice is the same as other regional flights, which means if you are unfortunately a transit passenger, you may have to eat the same thing on both flights. The cabin crew are impatient. When she asked me for meal preference and I answered, she didn't reply a single acknowledging word like "okay". I thought she probably missed my answer in the noise cabin so I repeated my choice again. Surprisingly she looked at me with a very unpleasant face and inpatient tone saying "yes yes I know". Overall I have a very mixed feeling about this fast expanding airline. I like its young fleet and good interior facility. But they have to improve staff attitude towards passengers from different regions.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteIstanbul to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"arrogant and not friendly"

(Indonesia)

Not Verified | Jakarta to Iayseri return via Istanbul. We tried to do an online check in prior to our departure just so we could pick our seat, however somehow we couldnt pick the seat as well so we decided to just go to the airport and pick our seat during check in hoping the airport worker could help us. For our flight back (Istanbul-Jakarta), again we asked to be seated together, however the airport worker on the check in desk did not even try to help, she only said its a full flight and ignored us. Turned out i was seated in an emergency exit, which i have informed the flight attendant if possible i want to move my seat, the flight attendant just told me to have a seat and ignored me? The flight attendants in all flights with turkish airlines are so arrogant and not friendly, and ordering us to do stuff disrespectfully. For the checkin seating issue, im not sure if its the airline's fault (about the online check in of course its the airline's fault) or just the worker in the check in desk in Istanbul airport is too lazy and too ignorant to help us locate our seat together, because our flight from Istanbul to Kayseri is similar, the person on the check in desk did not help us to be seated together, and we are seated separately (three of us), even that with my brother who is still underage. The food on our flight from Jakarta to Istanbul was awful, but the other food is okay. Amongst all, the flight attendance's attitude and the seating disturbed me the most.
RouteJakarta to Iayseri via Istanbul