Turkish Airlines

" request you to send us the invoices"

(Russian Federation)

Not Verified |   Our flight to Istanbul from Podgorica was delayed due to weather conditions and we missed our connection to San Francisco. The airline claimed they would provide a hotel, transfer and food at their expense and sent us to a 3rd party service desk for formalities. There were a few desks and it was very confusing. They provided no food vouchers, put us into a car and sent to a hotel. Turned out we needed to pay for transfer - about $180 for round trip. The hotel was provided for free. For the food we needed to order and pay cash at reception and it was later delivered to our room. It was a terrible food. We didn’t manage to get a receipt for that while they promised to give it to us a few times. After arriving to SFO I had 2 calls with their customer support. They always direct you to file a "feedback" at the website and can’t do anything even put through with their supervisor. In process of conversation with Sereda she was just quietly disappearing for minutes with no explanation nor excuses. An attempt to use a Facebook chat started promising until the other side suddenly stopped responding. Now to feedback forms. I filed 4. Attaching my single well-pictured receipt that everything there - my name, purpose of the expense, place, date, amount and signatures. I think I was communicating with AI generating slightly different but generally similar responses. Have a look: Feb-26: "We are sorry that events outside our control disrupted your journey. We have found out that the adverse weather conditions caused 33 minutes of delay on TK1086 Podgorica/Istanbul flight on the date of 13th of February, 2024, due to which you missed your onward flight specified in your ticket and completed your travel on TK289 Istanbul/ San Francisco flight. ... As per your request, for evaluation of expenses, we kindly request the expense bills that are issued by the establishments the expenses are made at, with the place, date, contents, name and the total amount of the expense visible on the receipt. Thank you for your understanding and wish to host you better in your future flights." Follow up on Feb-26 : "We kindly inform you that as it will breach the security and documentation protocols, our accounting department is unable to process compensation for the expenses without the original invoices or receipts. For evaluation of expenses, we kindly request the expense bills that are issued by the establishments the expenses are made at, with the place, date, contents and the total amount of the expense visible on the receipt. Also in order to evaluate your reimbursemnet request of your visa expenses, you can share your e-visa doucmnet or image of your visa. Thanks for understanding." Feb-29: "As per your request, for evaluation of expenses, we kindly request the expense bills that are issued by the establishments the expenses are made at, with the place, date, contents,name and the total amount of the expense visible on the receipt. Additionally, referring to your message we would like to state that, our compensation and reimbursement transactions are being held within the accordance of the Civil Aviation Passenger Rights Regulations. " Mar-1: "We are not able to evaluate the process without the invoices which are official. We kindly request you to send us the invoices which includes your name, date and the amount and also it must be official.
RoutePodgorica to San Francisco via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"Overall an excellent flight"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | My journey began in San Diego with a limo bus to LAX. Nearly everybody in the limo seemed to be travelling on Turkish and to beyond Istanbul. The driver said all their services are full of passengers for THY. If you are listening Turkish Airlines, think about a few flights to San Diego with its upcoming new terminal! Check-in was open very early, and painless, by a very polite agent. Boarding was chaotic. The first boarding announcement began half way through another announcement about another flight being made throughout the terminal. The agent spoke with her back to the boarding gates and said which passenger groups to wait on the left and which on the right. But it transpired she meant on our left and right even though she indicated her left and right. Consequently the lines were totally full of the wrong passengers. Eventually we found the right lines and entered through the boarding gates which also took our photos in the process. Apart from the boarding mix-up, I would say the process in LAX was very good. After boarding the Captain announced 20 minutes delay in start-up due to some luggage compartment problems. My seat was near the back and I could hear loud noises of containers rumbling around. But she was exactly right and after 20 minutes we started up and took off. Amenity packs and Menus were distributed, followed by the first meal. The crew on this flight were very relaxed and courteous as they served us. On my way out from Istanbul I had been in Business Class but the crew there all seemed in a rush, even though the flight was over twelve hours. Everybody settled down to sleep as the sun could be seen coming up and then setting again through a few open window shades. A self-service snack and drinks were available in the galleys during the night. Near the end of the flight another hot meal with choice of entrée was served. We landed on time and endured the inevitable long ground time at Istanbul Airport before we reached our gate. Long long walks to İmmigration, and another long walk to the most distant luggage carousel, even though there were many empty ones near the centre of Arrivals. But. Our luggage was already going round; Istanbul Airport luggage is always so fast. Overall an excellent flight.
RouteLos Angeles to Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"pay extra for an alternative option"

Not Verified | Flight delayed with no information. Ground staff rude and nonchalant. Even laughing when asked why no information. Please read previous reviews. Would rather pay extra for an alternative option. I would not recommend this airline.
RouteIstanbul to Birmingham
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"seats were far too small"

(Serbia)

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. First they messed-up our seats, and me and my wife were separated during the self check in at the Istanbul airport. It took a lot of back and forth with the ground staff to get them to switch our seats so that we can sit together. The staff was of no help, and kept trying to persuade me that seat reservations don't matter even though I paid for them. They did try to offer me to pay for an upgrade to business class. The plane was really old, seats were far too small.
RouteIstanbul to Belgrade
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"Horrible check on experience"

Not Verified | Horrible check on experience. Tried to check in 10 mins after check in opened, but the website and app showed no seats available. Contacted the helpline and they could not support.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2024

"Ground staff are extremely rude"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | We landed in Istanbul at the 6:50 time but only left the aircraft at 7:15. We had a few mins to make it from gate A4 to F8 and our security checkpoint was only manned by 1 team with a second added for the last few minutes and once we cleared this 7:50 I ran to the gate making it there at 8:00. Being informed the gate had closed I was directed to customer service. I was met by 2 rude female attendees who could care less why we were delayed and their response was simply that the hour from landing to take off was sufficient to make the flight and I would need to buy a new ticket. We requested a manager and no manager, with the only direction to go to the main desk. When we got here the person attending us once more was unfriendly, we shifted computers 3 times to be told go to ticket desk so I asked what is they will do there that you cannot and I was told to buy a new ticket and that he was done assisting us and called the next person in line. Ground staff are extremely rude and I will never fly this airline even though they are part of Star Alliance to which I am a gold member currently. If this is the welcome you give guests I hope someone will read this and think twice about coming to Turkey as the experience I've had here is awful.
RouteDoha to Porto via Istanbul

"Choose another airline"

Not Verified | Turkish Airlines ripped me off with charges and fees. They are not transparent and profiteer at the expense of their customers. Trying to deal with their complaints department is entirely unsatisfactory. Choose another airline
RouteMunich to Singapore via Istanbul
Date FlownSeptember 2023

"had not bought connecting flights"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | We bought connecting flights tickets through Turkish Airlines website. In Istanbul the flight was delayed more than 4 hours, we lost our next flight and transfer. Drinks, Food, Compensation? No, not in Turkey. Turkish Airlines customer service said that as we had not bought connecting flights they can't do nothing with this case.
RouteVilnius to Delhi via Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2023

"Fabulous airline"

Not Verified | Fabulous airline. Polite staff, food catering amazing, wide comfortable seats with enough leg space. Airport clean with many perks. Staff and airport authorities respectful and caring.
RouteToronto to Dubai via Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2023

Turkish Airlines customer review

Trip Verified | The airline cancelled a leg of my flight and changed another segment. When I used the link to change the flight that was cancelled (which they indicated was free) the airline charged me for a new ticket and denied a refund. When I went to cancel because of the second change the system confirmed a $5355 return, but they only refunded $2800. it has been over a week of calling and following up and they keep telling me that I have to create a new feedback with no response to date. Their customer service has been utmost unhelpful and rude.
RouteToronto to Amman via Istanbul