Turkish Airlines

"I would not recommend this airline"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | Online check-in and baggage drop have been relatively smooth, boarding too. Flight staff had been seen arguing before take-off which gave passengers an uncomfortable feeling. Comparing to the hospitality we were experiencing in Japan, the flight staff has been rude, tired and forgetful. With the seat belt sign turned on, seating in a window seat, I kindly asked for a tissue I did not receive, despite reminding the stewardess once more. We had a slight delay in departure but we arrived on time, which I really appreciated. The aircraft was old, with narrow seats and not a lot of legroom. My friend who is 186 cm tall had a hard time seating in the middle seat. Despite expensive price for the tickets, Turkish does not allow to choose your own seat - not when you buy nor when you check-in. Seat prices were ridiculously priced, where the extra legroom cost almost 90 EUR per person, per flight. My food was served lukewarm and the fresh bread was served to our hands before we could use their wipes to clean them. Taste was acceptable, portions are somewhat generous but the ingredients were repeating themselves. That includes our return flight. Onboard wifi was for free for Miles&Smiles members, but only 10 Mb which is laughable. The internet speed was poor and after trying 15 minutes to connect to the WiFi service, I shut down my phone after 5 minutes of trying to read some news. Unacceptable for this day and age. Overall, I would not recommend this airline.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteTokyo to Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2022

"I would avoid this company"

(Kazakhstan)

Trip Verified | It’s not our first flight with Turkish Airlines, but this is the first that disappointed us before even getting to aircraft. We arrived to the airport 6 hours prior to check in. The staff saw us there. When they started to prepare for check in we moved to the line for infants as we travel with three kids and one of them is just 2 years old. The woman at the desk started arguing with us that he looks older. Quite an argument! Then she asked if he has a seat - and if he has he’s not consider as an infant! Do you believe it? We buy a seat for our kids long before they are 2 because it’s the matter of convenience, not the age! Then, we moved to common line, but of course our place was already took by other passengers and the staff told we have to get to the end of the line. Seeing us with three young kids 7 and under, with two carts full of suitcases and knowing we arrived much earlier than other passengers they moved us to the end of the line! Should it be Lufthansa or even Turkish Airlines in Turkey they would let us pass through the infant line without any questions. It’s sad that the Turkish values of caring about children and families and Turkish Airlines high standards of service are not relevant for some representatives of the staff. Should I have a long flight next time I would avoid this company!
RouteWashington to Istanbul

"Disappointing service"

Trip Verified | Disappointing service and I haven’t even flown yet! Rescheduled my flight + 1 day - no compensation or even consideration for the inconvenience it has caused me. It’s cost me a day of work and also an additional hotel! Never using again!
RouteJeddah to London Stansted via Istanbul

overall not impressed"

Trip Verified | Cabin crew on all flights were unsmiling and not friendly. On flight from Istanbul to Vancouver there were no snacks and service was almost 10hours apart. Probably the worst service considering galley was so noisy even when they were not offering any service. Cabin crew only smiled when talking to each other and not to customers. I have flown cross Atlantic business class on Lufthansa and Air Canada and both are miles above Turkish airlines Had a short connection in Istanbul from Dubai to Vancouver, bags were tagged priority and yet it took over 1 hour to get my bags on arrival in Vancouver. Not sure I will fly with Turkish again, overall not impressed with Turkish airlines
RouteVancouver to Dubia via Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2022

"not use Turkish Airlines again"

Trip Verified | They disregard responsibility for their mishandling of bookings. Their grievance process, which they call “Feedback”, is disconnected and frustrating. I will not use Turkish Airlines again. Turkish Airlines cancelled my return flight, yet never notified me. They say, by their “Feedback” email response, that they sent me a SMS about the flight cancellation on February 18, 2022. My text message log shows no such message. That would be a message that would have grabbed my attention and led me to make alternative arrangements. No contact from them was made by phone, email or text about this. They did have all of my correct contact information, demonstrated by several texts and emails received about small changes in my outbound flight time. I also was not notified at my outbound flight check in that the return flight was cancelled. No alternative flight was booked by Turkish Airlines. This led to my being stuck at the Tel Aviv airport, having to return to the city overnight, and flying out the next day: a 19 hour delay and extra $489 of expenses. Turkish Airlines denied all responsibility and did not provide any compensation. There was a United Airlines (a Star Alliance partner) flight 4 hours later than my cancelled flight, which I requested on the phone with a customer service representative and from the ticketing agent at the airport, but this was not granted. Customer Service by Feedback is a brick wall. It is all done by email, and their email response closes the case. The phone customer service agents tell you that everything is handled by Feedback email. The Turkish Airlines website says that they aim to respond to Feedback within 1 week. This does not provide any assistance when you need it at the time of your travel. All of my responses to Feedback came more than 1 week after submission, and only after I called and was told that the response will be expedited. Feedback 1: after 3 weeks and no response, I called, and was told I need to send a new Feedback email. Feedback 2: Claim denied. They allegedly sent me a SMS on Feb 18, which was more than 14 days before my flight, and that absolves them of responsibility. Their email also says that they offered an alternative flight 2 hours later. Feedback 3: I submitted my text log from Feb 17 and 18 showing no message was delivered to me. I pointed out that I was at the airport at 6 am for my 8:30 am flight, I was not offered a 10:30 am flight that they say they offered me in February, and a 10:30 am flight did not connect with any flights from Istanbul to San Francisco. Their Feedback response: Denied – SMS sent February 18. Lessons I learned: Avoid Turkish Airlines. Check and reconfirm all flights ahead of time. Fly nonstop whenever possible. Purchase travel insurance.
RouteTel Aviv to San Francisco via Istanbul
Date FlownSeptember 2022

"seat pitch is probably the worst"

Trip Verified | Turkish is known for its good service. The aircraft is new and service is fine but the seat pitch is probably the worst I've seen. Very disappointing.
AircraftBoeing 737 Max 8
RouteVilnius to Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2022

"find that we have no seats"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Seats were either broken or not functioning well. The flight attendants should come to push or pull the seat back and the leg rest. The nightmare was on the return flight. I arrived with my family about two and a half hours before the flight just to find that we have no seats. No explanation was provided by the staff. The first one lied saying it was a system issue. She then left and asked us to wait. I waited for about 1 hour with nothing done and not a single word of sorry. I found later they booked for some VIPs at our expense. When I objected, they tried to find a solution.
RouteJeddah to Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2022

"definitely looking forward to my next flight"

Trip Verified | I am not sure why this airline gets such poor reviews, ok out flight was delayed by on hour and we boarded by remote stand which was a bit annoying. Service on the flight was first rate staff were friendly the food has to be one of the best meals I have eaten on a flight. The selection of shows and movies was wide and easy to find something to watch. If you compare this with most European carriers you get none of that, last flight on LH was a bottle of water and a small chocolate bar. What I did find odd was how rude the passengers were to the cabin crew and how well the crew handled it. I am definitely looking forward to my next flight
AircraftA321N
RouteMunich to Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2022

"The only real complaints are the airports"

Not Verified | Flights from London to Istanbul, then to Cairo and then return. Flight to Istanbul was ok, food served and service was reasonably quick. On arrival at Istanbul airports there was no gate listed for onward connection and the connection was tight-Istanbul airport was terrible. Finally found the connecting gate - this flight was a Boeing 737 - old, hard seats and a full flight. Again a meal served-tepid but edible. Landed on time. Return flight was from Alexandria airport -5 security checks before we could enter the plane. Aircraft was on time but half way through the flight there was a medical emergency, which was dealt with admirably by the crew - luckily there was also a doctor on board. We were served breakfast. Final flight was Boeing 777 from Istanbul to London - served the same breakfast but no complaints as some well known airlines handout a packet of crisps. The only real complaints are the airports - both Istanbul and Alexandria-they both need better communication.
AircraftA330, Boeing 737, Boeing 777
RouteLondon to Istanbul via Cairo
Date FlownOctober 2022

"I have no idea what rule is this"

Trip Verified | I was flying from Istanbul to Lima via Panama. My ticket from Panama City to Lima was with Copa airlines, which was booked by Turkish Airlines and it wasn't me who booked the tickets with Copa Airlines. Before the day of the flight, I was able check in online for my flight from Istanbul to Panama, however, their website wasn't letting me check in online for the other connecting flight. I had received a link from Copa Airlines as well to fill in health related details, and other questions on destination, citizenship, residency, etc. After filling all that, the website had clearly said "no transit visa required" for Panama. Next morning when I reached Istanbul airport, they gave me only the boarding pass for first flight. When I asked them for the 2nd one, they said I'll get that from Copa in Panama. They had also put my luggage until Panama, which I had asked them clearly if that could cause any issues. However, they said everything is fine. Finally at boarding, I was stopped from boarding saying that I need a visa for Panama because I'll have to get down to get my luggage and hence will need to exit the transit zone. When I said this is Turkish Airlines fault then as I had clearly asked them about luggage, the guy admitted it was messed up by whoever gave me boarding pass. However, then they made up some rule that because my return flight to London is not through Panama but rather through Amsterdam with KLM, hence I need a visa for Panama. I have no idea what rule is this and why should my return flight have anything to do with my transit visa. I asked them to show this in writing and they just wrote the reasons on my boarding pass! I asked them for written proof which can be validated and have been trying to contact them over this from the time I have returned back to London. They keep closing the tickets and do not still provide any proof. The latest ticket is still open since Sep 20th and they have just stopped responding. I lost a lot of money (close to 3500 GBP) because my return flight was not refundable and some of my plans/trips in Lima weren't refundable. These morons have still been hiding and do not respond. Worst customer service ever. They also made me run around in Istanbul airport from one counter to another without giving any proper response after I wasn't allowed to board. And finally I had to return back to London with a last minute expensive ticket (990 EURs)
RouteIstanbul to Lima via Panama city