Turkish Airlines

"first and last flight with Turkish Airlines"

Trip Verified | When tried to Check-In/Manage the flight for 31 December, there is a message "Your flight’s date/time changed. You are required to contact our call center to confirm the recommended new flight. If you do not want to confirm your flight, you can cancel or change it through our call center." No one bothered to inform via Text/Email before hand. Now we are ready as we have had covid test and all done for the flight and not sure if we are flying out or not. We are very concerned as your call centre number is not working. Please note that have been trying during working hours advertised on your website and on automated answering service. There is a policy changed for Covid, which is not conveyed before flight as well. When we travelled to Lahore, it was under 12 who do not need Covid Clearance Report and now on your website it says its under 6. Its a very poor communication with the passengers. Lots of people who will not check online prior to their flights will get a shock for sure. This is our first and last flight with Turkish Airlines.
RouteLahore to Dublin via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2020

"first and last experience with them"

Not Verified | Lets just say, this was my first and last experience with them. I bought my ticket way before the pandemic and decided to fly anyways since there were precautions now to my destination for Covid testing. It all started with them moving my flight from a 4hr layover in turkey to a 38hr layover. I decided, why not, I'll just tour around Turkey during that time - this is after I'm assured by the ticket agent I talked with that the airline will give me a hotel once I land. When I arrived at checkin, the guy checking me in couldn't find my ticket so I had to dig into my email for all the information about the ticket. He then proceeds to enter a wrong information and attached it to my baggage. Since it would take him some effort to fix this error, he decided I must suffer the consequence and pick up all 3 of my big luggages and carry it around in Turkey and check them in again for my next flight. At this point, I'm getting a sense of what flying with these people entails. In the plain, a brown paperbag of some cate, a cold sandwich and juice is tossed at us as a meal. Once I landed, I find out other passengers had flights to the destination I wanted to go and only mine and a few other people were moved to two days later - trying to change my ticket was double what I originally paid for by the way. Strange. Mind you, I need a covid test 48hrs before I enter Ghana, and the one I have with me will expire. This means I'll need another test in Istanbul before I'm allowed to board my flight. Next comes getting a visa at the Istanbul airport - (Cheap is not looking too cheap now). After learning all this, I decided to go with the flow, since there was nothing else to do. I go to their service desk for the hotel promised and I was told my flight doesn't qualify for a free hotel because I agreed to them changing my ticket. Mind you, I had no other option. Cancelling my ticket meant losing some amount. At this point I'm fuming. I just lugged my luggage out of the airport and paid for my own hotel. Coming back from Ghana is a whole other story. I'm at this point stuck in Istanbul airport having to take another airline to go through Doha and then the US. As they say, you get what you pay for.
RouteChicago to Accra via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Do not use Turkish at all during this Pandemic"

Not Verified | Do not use Turkish at all during this Pandemic, they are zero customer focused these days using smaller planes and filling them full is their objective. Booked a flighted and confirmed the seat and when they gave me my boarding pass they changed the seat saying we are full and we can not do anything but you can reschedule. No meals on a 10 hour long flight, no snacks even though the ticket mentioned a meal was included, another way to save money. I also travelled Qatar and Emirates recently, they are taking care of their customers providing every possible facility they can, plans are bigger so there are empty seat in between for almost 90% travellers. I would recommend not to use Turkish while planning longer flights.
RouteChicago to Karachi
Date FlownDecember 2020

"last experience with Turkish Airlines"

Trip Verified | First and last experience with Turkish Airlines. The problems began at check-in, when they refused to check my bag through from AMS over to KLM (I flew Delta from AMS to ATL and then home to TPA). "No problem," I thought, "I will just go through passport control, grab my bag, and check in with KLM again." I chose my own seat, which was great. I prefer a window seat toward the front of the cabin. So everything was going to be great in 9A, flying on Christmas Day to Amsterdam, so it should be quiet and fairly decent for an Economy flight. Upon boarding, the gate agent took my boarding pass and reassigned me to 38A, the literal last row of seating on the plane. I am fuming at this point, as the front of Economy cabin is literally empty. Turkish passengers began complaining so much (this had also happened to them) that the gate agent came onto the plane and said she had to move us to the back to "balance the plane" .. this is the actual explanation that we got. Utterly absurd. Everyone who tried to move to a different seat during the flight was forced to return to their assigned seat, even though the plane was almost empty, and several people were forced to go back and sit with people with whom they were not traveling! Unreal! The cleanliness and hygiene was fine. We got a brown paper bag with a kashar cheese sandwich, a cake, a box of fruit juice, and a small bottle of water. Leg room was appalling, but not out of line with most Economy seats. But the fun had only just begun! Upon arrival in Amsterdam, I went to passport control so I could go to the baggage claim, collect my checked bag, and check-in with Delta (via KLM) .. except at passport control, I was told that I was not allowed to enter the EU because of COVID restrictions! So, I walked up to the transfer section, went through the security check, and then tried to find my gate and someone to help me. Because of THY's refusal to check my bag through to another airline, it was removed from the plane, slung onto the belt, and dumped. Without KLM's help, they would have abandoned my checked bag in AMS with no way for me to reclaim it! Thankfully, a KLM agent was extremely helpful, called Swissport with my THY bag claim ticket number, and got it loaded onto my Delta flight. Without her, I would have lost an expensive suitcase full of expensive winter clothes and all of my souvenirs purchased in Istanbul. Thanks a lot, Turkish Airlines! You really care about your customers. Never again!
AircraftA330-200
RouteIstanbul to Amsterdam

"I expected more"

Not Verified | Not a good experience. Flight was completely full with no middle seats blocked. Vents were broken. No hand sanitizer given out upon boarding. I expected more for a $2000 flight.
RouteBoston to Istanbul
Date FlownJuly 2020

"Not worth your money"

Trip Verified | I am Turkish and used THY services more than 10 times in the last 4 years. I believe you should be looking for another airline company if you are not obliged to use their services due to the following reasons: For international flights: THY is, as far as I concern only airline which has a direct flight from Los Angeles - LAX to Istanbul - IST airport. That was the main reason I have decided to use their services again, and I regret my decision not surprisingly. There are two different scenarios: Imagine, you are arranging a flight from LAX to IST, which has a domestic transfer from IST to Izmir Adnan Menderes - ADB airport. They leave only 55 minutes between 2 flights, where you should get into passport check and airport security. As if this wasn't enough, your LAX flight gets delayed 35 mins, and they only postpone your flight for only 5-10 minutes. The cream of the pie was, they assign the domestic transfer gate to the furthest possible one. When you arrive at the gate after having a small running competition and just as you are seeing that they are shutting the gate down, you are being told that it is too late now instead of not shutting down the gate. Then you are going to the ticket office, and they are saying that the next flight is like, 6 hours later. After you have been flown like 13+ hours, you are going to wait 6 more hours. Thanks, that is classy. I will need to buy food, internet and sit here for 6 hours. I have just come here to see my family after three years, and I have only a week here. So, your free ticket doesn't solve the issues, does it? Oh, the second one is even better. The very similar scenario above, but you are flying to Beograde - Tesla Airport (if I remember the name correctly) instead of having a domestic flight. Delays only 15 mins, but you had 45 mins between 2 flights. For domestic flights: Well, this is a short one. You are arriving at the airport 70 mins before the flight and arriving at the counter 57-58 mins before the flight. You will walk only 5 mins to reach the gate after the counter. But they are telling you "sir, you should've been here 60 mins before". So, you buy another ticket from another airline. General: Food was a disaster. Not only because of pandemic considerations but also managed poorly, and their attitude confirms their current position. As common sense, If it takes 25 mins to walk to the transfer gate and if there are both passport and security check, then you don't assign 1 hour between flights. Easy. Not worth your money.
RouteLos Angeles to Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2020

"gave up before ever boarding a plane"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | I can’t post a review about my trip with Turkish Airlines, because I gave up before ever boarding a plane. My many contacts with their support system finally wore me down at the end. All four sectors of my flight has been cancelled one by one over the last few months, which I can accept due to the Covid situation. Problem is that every cancellation forced me into the arms of the call center. I have learned a few things from these interactions. Be prepared to press a lot of numbers on the phone before talking to a human. Very few of the agents seems able to make a decision without talking to a supervisor while you are waiting. If the answer you finally get from an agent seems strange/weird/stupid don’t give up. Call back, talk to another agent and ask the same question. In my experience there is a good chance you will get a different answer. There seem to be an arcane way of doing things in this company. At one point I had to pay a fee for a date change on one of my flights, but none of the agents were able to tell me how much the fee would be. I got guesses ranging all the way from 50 to 400 euros. “Someone for another department will call you, calculate the fee and arrange the payment”, I was told. So I waited for a day, two days and finally after five days, I called back asking about the fee. Again I was told “Somebody from another department will call you, calculate the fee and arrange payment”, I was told again. “When do you thing it will happen”, I asked. “Maybe one more week. I don’t know. But if you not hear anything, you should call back”, said the agent. So after another week I gave up. And since I couldn’t cancel the ticket online, I had my last encounter with the call center. Here is a play by play: Me: Hello I want to cancel my ticket. Agent 1: I can’t do that for you. I will transfer you. Me: Hello I want to cancel my ticket. Agent 2: I can’t do that. You have to go to one of our offices. Me: The one nearest to my home (90 min away) have been closed due to Covid. The one in Copenhagen (4 hours away) is listed as “temporarily closed” on your homepage. Agent 2 (after a long pause): You can send them an email. Me: I did that 3 days ago. I haven’t received a reply. Agent 2: You can send them another one. Me: Listen, I just want to cancel the ticket. Agent 2.: Okay I will cancel it for you. In the end I spend around 350 euros on my experience with Turkish Airlines and never flew a mile. A fair price for lesson learned; Don’t try this again.
RouteCopenhagen to Banjul via Istanbul

"They are so poor"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | They are so poor, so unfair with clients! Don’t do again! The flight was canceled and they send us to a hotel with lower that 1 star, smell bad, no hot water etc. Now they not answering at the phone, we don’t know nothing!
RouteMale to Bucharest via Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Worst travel experience ever"

Trip Verified | Had a very bad Experience Travelling through Turkish. I reached Istanbul Airport through Turkish Airport. After waiting for more than 8 hours in transit, during Boarding they let me know about rule changes in my destination country , which requires pre visa no more on arrival visa. Then Second guy came and asked me for a Invitation letter, which should work. I showed him Invitation as well. And Next guy came and asked for third document which I showed as well. But again they said they cannot board me. When I asked why they did not stop at ORD, when giving me boarding pass up to the destination country, they did not answer anything and asked me to go to Customer service at the airport. And They were the worst customer service representatives I have ever met in my life. Never ever expect any assistance or directions from those people out there. They have no idea what Customer Service is. Later I got to know that they had my Luggage there at the airport. I wanted to exit the airport as soon as I can. So I got the first flight back to Chicago (again Turkish airlines). I requested them if they can transfer my luggage to my flight. No luck. I had to get out got the visa, collected the luggage (took long time), and rechecked in. Worst travel experience ever. I had a future return ticket. I am talking to cancel those. I will never ever recommend anyone this airline.
RouteChicago to Kathmandu vis Istanbul
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Never flying with them again"

Trip Verified | Let me start by saying that the flight wasn’t practicing social distancing at all. The seats were full with everyone sitting next to each other, people not wearing face masks and the worst thing was that a lady with a child started changing the diaper while people are eating, the smell just made me throw up. Not one of the flight attendant cared what the passenger was doing or asked to take it to the washroom, very unprofessional employees. We are in a pandemic and they fill up the flight with people from every county! Never flying with them again, disgusting flight, they don’t even have lactose fiber or gluten free food for passengers who need that option.
RouteIstanbul to Toronto