Turkish Airlines

"indifferent and inattentive"

Trip Verified | Turkish Airlines only opened 4 counters (2 business 2 economy at start, later opened 1 extra for economy). This was unbelievable for a fully booked flight with around 350 passengers. Turkish Airlines did not enable anything that could expedite the process like mobile boarding pass or check-in kiosks for flights from SIN. The check-in took around 1 hour for me and the queue was much longer for passengers came afterwards. Cabin crew were generally indifferent and inattentive to passengers' requests, except one or two that still tried to answer each passenger in a professional manner. Entertainment with a good selection and wide variety of movies, but in a 10+ yr old Boeing 777 the touch screen is not very precisely responsive to my press. Meal menus were repetitive for my connecting flights, which means you expect to have the exactly same meal twice within a few hours. For a long haul flight the mid-flight snack was just one single type of biscuit and it was put at the rear galley only. Drinks were not displayed openly and I had to actively request from cabin crew.
AircraftBoeing 777-330ER
RouteSingapore to Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2022

"quality seems to be slipping"

Trip Verified | It appears that the accountants have been in - quality seems to be slipping. Gone are the small things such as honey and Turkish clotted cream to be replaced by a blob of jam and knob of butter. The cooked turkey platter as starters has been replaced by sliced tomatoes. The food served in business class is of the same quality as that served in economy by the gulf carriers. The transit hotel was 48 km from the airport and I had to get up at 3am (pickup 4am) for a flight that departed at 7:40am. I was sat in the grim airport lounge three hours before my flight and the only hot food was toast - the alternative to the toast was pre-packaged carbs that were utterly tasteless. The IFE is extremely limited and I didn't even bother unpackaging the headphones.
RouteKathmandu to Manchester via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"Reliable, good service, flights"

Trip Verified | We take multiple long-haul trips every year with Turkish Airlines flying in Business Class. Reliable, good service, flights generally on-time, catering consistently good if not exquisite (our preference over Qatar Airways and ANA for food - Flying Chefs and menus definitely Turkish's calling card), flight attendants generally warm and solicitous and downright playful especially if you lead with a smile. Highly recommended.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A330-300
RouteWashington to Bucharest via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"Agents are uncaring and rude"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight with Turkish Airlines and accidentally put my married name on the ticket instead of my maiden name which is on her passport. Well immediately after booking this flight I called up and alerted the staff of the error assuming it would be a quick five second fix in their computer to change the name. However they proceeded to tell me that I would have to go onto their website and send an email to customer service. The whole procedure sounded long and arduous and after several phone calls and emails later we finally got the answer that they wanted me to pay hundreds of dollars to make this change! Agents are uncaring and rude. Do yourself a favor and pick an airline that cares about its customers.
RouteMiami to Budapest via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"arrived to Rome at 6,25PM instead of 10AM"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | On 29 May 2022 I had flight (TK873) from Teheran to Istanbul at 5,15AM and then a connection (TK1861) from Istanbul to Rome. I had to arrive in Rome at 10AM. The flight from Teheran to istanbul delayed by more than one hour, thus I lost the connection to Rome. Nobody was waiting for me at Istanbul airport nor helped me at least to try to get the flight to Rome. Moreover, I went to the Business Transfer Desk of Turkish Airline and a very rude person told me that the only possibility was to fly the morning after to Rome, because all the flights of the same day to Rome were full. Then, I shown my disappointment and the person of the Transfer desk was also more rude. At the end, he found for me a flight from Istanbul to Munich and then to Rome. So I arrived to Rome at 6,25PM instead of 10AM, after several flights. Then, I complained with the person of the Transfer Desk and he answered that when I asked the first time he only checked whether there was available seats in business class and not in economy. However, after half an hour the seats was any more available. After few days I wrote a negative feedback directly to Turkish Airline and they answered that they were sorry.
RouteTeheran to Rome via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"staff need more training"

(Georgia)

Not Verified | Tbilisi to Bahrain via Istanbul. The staff need more training. They don't know how to calm down stressed out passengers. Really disappointed. All good with the flights the cabin staff. But the staff just ruined the whole image.
RouteTbilisi to Bahrain via Istanbul

"horrible experience"

Trip Verified | Bucharest to Newark via Istanbul. Let me begin by saying that I have flown TK Airlines since 2004 but this was definitely my last time flying them. In 2019 my father got severely ill and I have booked a same day flight from JFK to OTP via IST. The first flight to IST was 3 hours delayed and we got late for the second flight. We were 5 people on the same flight going to the connection. Even though plane was still at the gate we were denied boarding. I begged them to let us thru that I had an emergency but we were booked on a flight 7 hours later. Needless to say my dad passed away 3 hours before my arrival without the possibility of saying our goodbyes. Now back to my May 2, 2022 flight it was a horrible experience. I have booked my ticket 3 months in advance to be able to get seat 2A. As soon as I boarded the plane and settled in my seat, seat 2B passenger came and asked me to switch with his female companion who had 5A because they were just upgraded and had no seats together. I told him I rather not as the seat is located next to pantry closet, galley and toilets but he quickly went to a flight attendant and spoke Turkish and in less than a minute I was ordered not asked to change my seat to accommodate. Once I was obligated to move to 5A I realized that nobody was seated on 5B cause boarding was complete. I asked why was I moved when they could have both seat on 5A and B and I was bluntly responded that they preferred row 2. Are you kidding me I paid several thousand dollars for the ticket to be taken my seat away. Then once in the air I have tried to recline my chair which to my surprise was not working. I called a flight attendant and after a few unsuccessful tries of her own told me I should have told her the chair wasn’t working while we were on the ground to have the ground crew fix it. Who reclines their chair before take off? Or was it my fault that their chairs were broken. She told me that I could sleep in 5B and walked away. A while later the passenger in front of me 4A discovered that his seat was broken as well and guess what to our amazement he was offered to sleep in no other than 5B. He declined saying that if he sleeps there were would I sleep. When service started the attendant bringing the drinks came up to row 4A and B than turned around and went to the E,F side of the plane skipped me as I wasn’t there. When food was brought out I asked for drinks as I was skipped and she told me to give her couple of minutes cause she is busy. Toilets were very dirty you can see they weren’t clean properly. All in all worst experience in any businesses/first class airline I have ever flew on. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt many times. Being married with a Turkish guy and knowing Turkish hospitality this airline doesn’t represent their country well. Concluding this I will never fly Turkish Airlines again.
RouteBucharest to Newark via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"airline doesn’t represent their country well"

Trip Verified | I have flown TK Airlines since 2004 but this was definitely my last time flying them. It was a horrible experience. I booked my ticket 3 months in advance to be able to get seat 2A. As soon as I boarded the plane and settled in my seat, seat 2B passenger came and asked me to switch with his female companion who had 5A because they were just upgraded and had no seats together. I told him I rather not as the seat is located next to pantry closet, galley and toilets but he quickly went to a flight attendant and spoke Turkish and in less than a minute I was ordered, not asked, to change my seat to accommodate. Once I was obligated to move to 5A I realized that nobody was seated on 5B cause boarding was complete. I asked why was I moved when they could have both seat on 5A and B and I was bluntly responded that they preferred row 2 . Are you kidding me I paid several thousand dollars for the ticket to be taken my seat away. Then once in the air I have tried to recline my chair which to my surprise was not working. I called a flight attendant and after a few unsuccessful tries of her own told me I should have told her the chair wasn’t working while we were on the ground to have the ground crew fix it . Who reclines their chair before take off? Or was it my fault that their chairs were broken. She told me that I could sleep in 5B and walked away. A while later the passenger in front of me 4A discovered that his seat was broken as well and guess what to our amazement he was offered to sleep in no other than 5B. He declined saying that if he sleeps there where would I sleep. When service started the attendant bringing the drinks came up to row 4A and B than turned around and went to the E,F side of the plane skipped me as I wasn’t there. When food was brought out I asked for drinks as I was skipped and she told me to give her couple of minutes cause she is busy. Toilets were very dirty, you can see they weren’t clean properly. All in all worst experience in any businesses/ first class airline I have ever flew on. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt many times. Being married with a Turkish guy and knowing Turkish hospitality this airline doesn’t represent their country well. Concluding this I will never fly Turkish Airlines again.
RouteBucharest to Newark via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2022

"Overall a negative experience"

Not Verified | The inflight experience was ok, however the flight was 4 hours late for the connection and customer service offered no apology explanation or suggestion for somewhere comfortable since with the addition of 4 hours it would mean around 7 hours during the middle of the night to spend in transit. Request for payment of the penalty as stipulated by European legislation has been ignored despite an email chain going on several months. Overall a negative experience and will not fly them again
RouteMadrid to Singapore via Istanbul
Date FlownFebruary 2022

"Was made to walk without much assistance"

Trip Verified | I am 84 years female with hearing impaired and limited mobility. I boarded from India. After landing at Istanbul I was not provided a wheelchair from the airlines gate. Was made to walk without much assistance. After a long wait, I was put on a cart along with other senior passengers. There after we were made to change to wheelchair and again on another cart and finally after 2 hours I reached my gate D 3 to board flight to Chicago. I am wondering whether the lapse in the assistance was from Turkish Airlines or Istanbul airport authority but I faced lots of hardship and a bad experience. Hopefully I may not have such bad experience on my return flight on 11 August 2022, from Newark to India via Istanbul.
RouteIndia to Chicago via Istanbul