Turkish Airlines

"outbound was chaos"

Not Verified | I bought round trip tickets from Detroit to Beijing and Beijing to Detroit. Inbound went through smoothly. But outbound was chaos and torture. I was in Beijing Capital airport 3 hours before departure on 10th of May, self check in failed, I went to help desk asked for help, they communicated with airline and told me my ticket was invalid, then I went to check in counter, they called airline too and I was told same thing. So I was denied boarding. After countless communication with airline, finally they admitted that their system made mistakes, they will arrange flights for me asap, and told me to retain the hotel receipt to get reimbursed. But the earliest flight available was on 13th of May, I had not choice, so I stuck to Beijing for 3 more days. After I got home, I started communicating with the airline through the feedback. The process was terrible, they lied about the situation, they said I was denied boarding because I was not checked in on time, that’s untrue, so I asked the timestamp according their investigation, when self check in attempted, when help desk informed, and when check in counter called, they couldn’t provide.
RouteDetroit to Beijing via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2024

"won't rebook me for a return flight"

Trip Verified | Turkish Airlines should change its slogan to, "First world in-flight service, third world customer service." I inadvertently booked two identical business class tickets, on separate reservations, for myself to fly to Dubai on Turkish Airlines. I showed up at the airport and boarded a Turkish flight to Dubai with no issues. I arrived in Dubai with no apparent problems. On the return flight, I was denied boarding, with Turkish claiming I had not used my ticket to arrive in Dubai, resulting in an automatic cancellation. What seems to have happened, after many many interactions with their horrible feedback form-based customer service, was that Turkish determined that since I didn't use one outbound ticket, they would cancel both of them. Of course they have no policy that states this anywhere. At best, it's a flaw in their computer system. Turkish has refused to acknowledge I was even on an outbound flight to Dubai even though I have sent copies of the frequent flyer mileage I obtained from these flights. Turkish will not confirm that I'll receive a refund minus penalities on the completely unused ticket. They will not acknowledge that I was on any Turkish flight and pretend they were both no-shows. They won't rebook me for a return flight. Speaking to someone on the phone is completely useless. No one that you actually talk to can solve the problem or has any power to do anything. Turkish uses a feedback form approach that no other major airline uses. It's truly bottom of the barrel customer service. It's like talking to a wall. At the end of the day, I paid more than $4,000 for Turkish Airlines to fly me to Dubai and then leave me there stranded.
AircraftA330/321
RouteAshgabat to Dubai via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2024

“excellent value for money”

Trip Verified | I recently flew with Turkish Airlines for the first time and I must say, it was an outstanding experience that offered excellent value for money. The online booking process was straightforward, and I appreciated the option not to pay a fee for seat selection. This allows passengers without specific preferences to save money, while those like me who prefer certain seats can still choose their preferred spot. The ground staff at O'Hare Airport were outstanding. They were helpful while interacting with a full flight of passengers. Although I was sent back to the check-in counter by TSA for another boarding pass, it turned out that the original one was correct. The good-looking cabin crew did a fantastic job! I was pleasantly surprised to receive an amenity kit along with the usual blanket and pillow. The complimentary meals and beverages were comparable to (or better than) those offered by other airlines on recent trips (last 2 years) which I paid ($500 or more) for. I also tried the sleeping pods and shower service at Istanbul Airport. It was by far the best long-haul transit experience I've ever had, surpassing my previous experiences at airports like Dubai, Hong Kong, and Narita. Lastly, the pilots were amazing - my flights were smoother than the blue line train ride I took to the airport.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteChicago to Kuala Lumpur via Istanbul
Date FlownMay 2024

"We arrived late to boarding"

Trip Verified | 4 people, independent of each other, missed their flight in Istanbul to Valencia (origin Manila) because no announcement for onboarding and no announcement for missing passengers was made at the gate. We were at the gate 1h, 20 min the flight departure. Additionally, the boarding was very fast and 20min before the departure, they did not allow us to get to the flight anymore because they closed the gate. We arrived late to boarding, but still in time. Boarding just finished a minute before, and the plane was still there. The staff was not only not letting us in anymore, even though this was on an important business trip/mission, they also were very unfriendly and spoke barely English. We had to buy a new flight from Istanbul to Valencia. Every person had a different price and we paid between 350 Euro up to 1000 Euro for the single flight ticket. This happened first time in my life and I can definitely not recommend this airline.
RouteManila to Valencia via Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2024

“cabin crew attitude is the worst”

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Upon boarding aircraft in the heat of Phuket the AC was not working until takeoff. With all the heat and sweating the cabin crew started distributing bottled waters but couldn't give water to all passengers as they ran out of water just after 30 minutes of takeoff. The cabin crew desperately searched the overhead bins to find water but there were none. The plane wasn't correctly loaded. There were only big water bottles available to be served with glass. So I went to the back of the plane to ask for water but the cabin crew said that we can't give it now as they are preparing for meal service. That is when I got frustrated and the cabin crew started arguing with me. You make us sit in the plane with no AC on in the heat and moisture of Phuket. You give water to only some passengers until you run out of small water bottles, then when the passenger comes up to you to ask for water you reject and start arguing with the passenger instead of apologizing for the inconvenience and providing the basic human necessity "water". So the in flight service and cabin crew attitude is the worst. As for the beverage choices, the alcoholic drinks available are only beer and wine. Pathetic.
AircraftA330-300
RoutePhuket to Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2024

"refused to offer compensation"

Trip Verified | Turkish Airlines' utter disregard for passenger well-being is appalling. Despite a 7-hour delay on my flight, the airline refused to offer compensation as promised in their own policies. Stranded on a plane for 4 hours with no water, food, or explanations, it's clear their priority is profit over people. Their empty apologies and lack of accountability are a disgrace to the industry. Avoid at all costs unless you enjoy being treated like cattle. Shameful.
RouteLos Angeles to Valencia via Istanbul
Date FlownApril 2024

"cabin crew were very friendly"

Not Verified | Flew on 9th May on TK68 in seat 2D from Istanbul to Bangkok in business class. The cabin crew were very friendly and worked hard to provide a high level of service. The spacious seat was comfortable but was lacking in privacy. The food was as usual of a high standard as were the provision of drinks. Would I recommend Turkish Airlines on my experience, most certainly.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManchester to Bangkok via Istanbul

“Not worth the money”

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Absolutely shameful business class, which in fact is exactly the same as the economy class, but in the middle they made something like a table instead of a seat. We sat very uncomfortable throughout the flight, because there was very little legroom (you can see it in the photo). I also wanted a glass of white wine, but there was no alcohol at all, which was very strange. I will never choose Turkish Airlines again. Not worth the money.
AircraftA321-200
RouteIstanbul to Antalya
Date FlownMay 2024

"reported the damage within 3 days"

Trip Verified | Turkish Airlines broke my bag and is refusing to repair or replace it. I reported the damage within 3 days once I noticed the bag was damaged after unwrapping the protective plastic at home. They are arguing that since I didn't detect it at the airport and report it there it isn't covered even though their policy says if the bag is discovered to be damaged after leaving you just have to create a damage report online.
RouteIstanbul to Zurich
Date FlownApril 2024

"staff was very unhelpful"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | The whole experience with the airline was chaotic for me. I was denied boarding and I understand the reason, but the staff was very unhelpful and treated me with such arrogant attitude. First, the staff said "my manager can help you with changing your flight ticket", then when I went to the so-called manager he was very rude and just disregarded me by saying "it's your fault and you have to buy a new ticket" without looking at me at all. And he pointed out to next colleague to help me with buying a new ticket. And her service was so sour! I eventually opted to leave the airport and she just pointed to a direction to exit the airport without much explanation of how to go there. When I arrive at the so-called exit door after roaming in Istanbul Airport for 10 minutes. It was not the door to exit and I had to go to the other end of the airport.
RouteIstanbul to Ercan