Sun Country Airlines

"less than helpful customer service"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Phoenix. This airline used to be a good reliable carrier. It is no longer worth flying in my opinion. My wife has an upcoming flight originally scheduled as a morning departure, but after two changes is now a late afternoon departure resulting in her losing most of her first day of her trip. The fare was purchased during a sale offering, but after speaking with their less than helpful customer service representative, there is no question that the flight was never really scheduled. Per customer service, there are no gates available to use at the original departure time. If you consider that response, than the original scheduled departure was nothing more than 'bait and switch' to sell unscheduled space. While customer service did offer that a refund was available, and she could reschedule (at a much higher airfare), they also could not guarantee that that fight would depart at the scheduled time. If I could give less than 1 star, I would. Do not fly this airline, especially if you need to be somewhere at a specific time.
RouteMinneapolis to Phoenix
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Never using Sun Country again"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Minneapolis. My wife and I fly once a year to visit family in Southern California. We have always flown first class Sun Country out of MSP. We've had some complaints over the years but over-looked them due to the value. But this is literally beyond words. We had already purchased our tickets, flew to L.A. and boarded the flight home when we realized the plane back to MSP had no first class seats. Apparently, Sun Country bought some new (to them) aircraft that are all coach seats. We were told by the crew that first class was the first 3 rows (of coach seats) and we got stuck in their “transition” (of phasing out). So the salad, brownie and drink was supposed to be worth the extra 500 bucks we paid for first class! The FA told me to email the CEO and complain. Then hopefully he'll do the right thing and refund some money. So now, I'm supposed to write a letter in the hopes that they'll do the right thing and refund some money? I won't hold my breath. They even told us that they were upgrading people in the airport before boarding to first class and that those customers were upset too. I guess they thought that would make us feel better? I was offered no other solution other than joining their points program to get 50 bucks worth of free points. Never using Sun Country again. Their deceptive practices lost them this formerly loyal customer.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLos Angeles to Minneapolis

"a terrible airline"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Boston. Bought e-tickets for a family of 4; had an excellent experience traveling to Boston from MSP but this was with Jet Blue. For some reasons, our return flight was with Sun Country. What a terrible airline! We only had one bag to check in just as we had with JetBlue. They immediately said that we will have to pay for everything we will take with us on the aircraft, except for “something like a purse”. They made us pay for our kids little bags and made sure we understood that we would pay $50 to check both in or $80 if we wanted to take them as carry-ons. Now, I understand that every airline has its own policy re: luggage etc, but the differential pricing is just a ripoff. They never let you know of those restrictions when you purchase the tickets. I hope I never have to fly Sun country again.
RouteMinneapolis to Boston
Date FlownOctober 2018

"It was hotter then hell"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Minneapolis. Run on the mill room and drink/snack options. It was hotter then hell the first 90 minutes of the flight. I used them for a trip from Jamaica earlier this year and has the same problems but figured things happens but now they’re 0-2. The flight boarded late and they told us we’d be on time once we got in the air. Then they announced we were beginning to land and be on the ground in 30 and it took nearly an hour. Then it took another 30 minutes before they finally started sending bags out.
RouteOrlando to Minneapolis
Date FlownOctober 2018

"flight attendants were friendly"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Minneapolis. Both to and from Arizona there were delays because of maintenance issues. We were sent to a different airplane and delayed an hour, both flights. Chose Sun Country because it was the cheapest. Just got unlucky, flight attendants were friendly and smooth flights.
RoutePhoenix to Minneapolis
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Very, very cramped"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Minneapolis. 2 hour delay with little to no updates from podium staff. Cabin hot, no a/c. Very, very cramped for space. Save your baggage fees and spend the extra money on a better airline. (Delta) they do not charge for carry on luggage and they offer free snacks and free entertainment.
RouteLas Vegas to Minneapolis
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"do not recommend"

Not Verified | JFK to Las Vegas via Minneapolis. Sun Country left my luggage somewhere during a recent trip to Vegas. My husband and I had packed in one bag and had no clothing or toiletries. I had to purchase toothpaste, toothbrushes, and contact lens solution and cases, and wash my travel clothes in our hotel tub. Thento top it off, it's one month later and we still have yet to receive any confirmation of our claim, or any response at all from their "service" department. Terrible service. Will not fly again, and do not recommend.
RouteJFK to Las Vegas via Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2018

"had good service, until today"

Trip Verified | Portland to Minneapolis. Ive flown with Sun Country multiple times and have had good service, until today. I live in Portland and my mom was visiting but she had to fly home early due to an emergency back home in Minnesota. We purchased her a one way flight last minute, we tried to check her in online but the website kept saying “error, please try again later” so we had to check in at the airport. My mom gets there and the lady at the front desk for Sun Country told her to go check in at the self serve station, she got there and Every other airline except Sun Country had an option to check in. So my mom went to go back to the desk and the lady was gone. It took someone 45 minutes to get back to the desk but of course it was too late and the plane already boarded and shut the cabin. After being on the phone for 52 min and 3 calls later the customer service lady told us the plane had been delayed for another hour and a half but they weren’t going to Print her a boarding pass because she didn’t check in on time. The plane was at the gate and wasn’t going to take off for another hour and a half and they had already deboarded the plane only to reboard in an hour. But they said she still couldn’t have a boarding pass because the delay wasn’t there fault. After making another call to customer service they finally told someone to come down and print her a boarding pass. This all could’ve been avoided if Sun Country could get there act together.
RoutePortland to Minneapolis
Date FlownAugust 2018

"baggage has not been returned"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Los Angeles. I recently submitted an airline review on Aug 12, 2018, regarding my experience prior to the the actual flight. Post flight leaving Honolulu on Aug 12 & arriving LA on Aug 13 at 4am (Flight SY730). My experience POST flight prompted me to make a follow up review and complaint. I hope our experience as a passenger will reach the top people managing this company. We checked in total of 3 luggages, upon claiming the baggage, 2 were returned (mine and my daughter) one lost baggage for my husband. I used to work for the airline myself & I never thought there will be problem like this that has not been solved since it is a common problem to most travelers. the “lost baggage”. In LAX there is no specific booth for Sun Country where to ask if problems like this arise. Hawaiian Airlines has a lady in their booth where you can querry and she (a Hawaiian Airlines personnel) directed us upstairs to a place next to Spirit Airlines but she stated its an office for Sun but there is no name outside the door. She herself has a hard time describing the location for us. When we get there, there were 3 doors with security lock without names. Is was so frustrating having to wait, on board a delayed flight, without sleep, & still has to go work in few hours. We tried to search for direction on line, number provided was called and no one answers. A lady just about to enter one of those unmarked rooms & apparently she just came in for her shift. Thank God she is from Sun. She accompany us to find our missing luggage that didn’t come out of the conveyor and helped us file a report. I did ask her why there is no name on the door of her office so their client can easily find where to go. She stated and I quote “I dont know, I asked the same question when Sun initially hired me but they don’t have answers for me, I guess no one wants to do anything”. She then instructed us to call the number on that paperwork she provided for us. When we get home we called the number (612) 970 3576, unfortunately the call often dropped and no way we can leave a message. Later that day, a lady left a voice message on my phone stating they found our baggage/luggage and to contact them thru customer service or on line but she did not leave any contact number to call. I tried calling the number thru caller ID, it was the same number I found on line, but then again, call dropped no one can be reached. I went back on line on the baggage lost so I can at least send a message. I did gave instruction to deliver my luggage to the address I provided. Its a very long and tiring process just to contact that department and I think its a very common airline problem that they are failing to handle, in the end their customers suffer. And up this point, making this review, my baggage has not been returned. I hope whoever read this message will do something on this issue and hopefully someone will contact me again again.
RouteHonolulu to Los Angeles
Date FlownAugust 2018

"The bag never showed up "

Trip Verified | Dallas to Las Vegas. We just returned late last night from a once in a lifetime 30th birthday celebration that had been carefully planned by my wife for months. The flight was delayed and our bag was lost by Sun Country. We had to buy all new clothing and accessories to get through our stay. The bag never showed up even though we called the airline numerous times. It is now day 4, no bag and no return calls. We have no plans to ever use this airline again but we do expect reimbursement for our lost items!
RouteDallas to Las Vegas