Sun Country Airlines

"This ruined our honeymoon"

Trip Verified | We had a package with the airline, hotel, and a rental car for our honeymoon in Las Vegas. We were at the DFW airport waiting on our flight that was scheduled at 2:30pm. The board showed our flight was delayed till 5:45pm. Another 3 hours. (While waiting we over heard a woman complaining that their flight to Phoenix got canceled.) When that time got closer we approached the gate to board the plane only to he told our flight was cancelled. The board was never changed to cancelled so this was a big shock to us. They were in process of boarding the flight "Phoenix" when we were asking why our flight was cancelled. So it was obvious they cancelled our flight to let the Phoenix flight go out. We were told we could wait till 3 more days to get us a flight there or vouchers. This ruined our honeymoon. They refused to give us a better offer and refused to make another flight out after taking the Phoenix flight. They said that was the only flight they were making for the day. We had to make many phone calls to find a way to our honeymoon trip.
RouteDallas Fort-Worth to Las Vegas
Date FlownMarch 2019

"charges for carry on bags"

Trip Verified | Only airline I have ever flown that charges for carry on bags, added an additional $80 to my trip. Had a connecting flight from Fort Myers, FL to New Orleans, LA. The layover was in Nashville, TN. Upon landing the pilot informed the passengers that he would be finishing the route to New Orleans and it would be in the same terminal. The pilot stated that passengers would have plenty of time to use the restroom and get food, so my girlfriend and I did just that. After being gone for no more than 15 minuets, the flight left without us and Sun Country was far less than helpful in helping us find a new flight. The original boarding in Fort Myers was late, and despite the pilots claim that passengers during the layover would have time to relieve themselves, this was not the case. Ground service claimed they told passengers exiting the plane to stay in the terminal, but we were some of the first passengers to exit and received no such notice. Our flight was SY 638 on 3/18/19 and will be the last time either of us ever fly Sun Country.
RouteFort Myers to Nashville via New Orleans
Date FlownMarch 2019

"A very enjoyable experience"

Not Verified | First experience with Sun Country Airlines. Travelled to Tampa and returned to Nashville 2 weeks later. Utilized wheelchair assistance both trips from counter to gate and to baggage claim. Great experience for two senior adults. Able to carryon my CPAP machine free with no difficulty. Total ticket cost including two checked bags both trips much less cost than other carriers. Limited flight trips but so what. A very enjoyable experience for both of us. They are not perfect but who is?
RouteNashville to Tampa
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"you get what you pay for"

Trip Verified | Tampa to Minneapolis. No announcements for delayed flights. They do not have an app or wifi on the flight. I am on the plane right now and the flight attendant is complaining to all the passengers that she does not get paid unless in the air and our flight was supposed to depart at noon yet here we are 1.00 and still waiting for the door to close. I would blame it on the airport/ground crew but it was the exact same fiasco on Monday when I flew out. Two hours late appears to be their standard business model. I will never fly this airline again. No wonder their fare is cheap - you get what you pay for.
RouteTampa to Minneapolis

"seats were uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Mazatlan. The seats were uncomfortable and small. The plane was delayed both ways. On the way back we were delayed about an hour and then had to wait for paperwork because we had to take a different route and it was faster then any other time. So why wouldn’t we take that route every other time. There was horrible turbulence on the way there and one of the flight attendants yelled at a person who was already up and on their way to bathroom before the seatbelt light was on. Delta flight that was suppose to leave an hour or so after us ended up leaving before us which resulted in waiting longer. The flight attendants on the way home were awesome.
RouteMinneapolis to Mazatlan
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"so grateful for Sun Country"

Not Verified | Orlando to Minneapolis. Sun Country made a terrible day so much better! We had a cancelled flight and the airline we went through was terrible about it. We spent hours trying to figure out what to do. We tried to get tickets online and everything was a mess. We called Sun Country customer service because we saw they had a flight leaving from Orlando in the morning. Even though it was 80 miles away it was our only option. The lady we talked to was so helpful and kind. She calmed us and made everything better. She even bumped us to first class. We had a ton of extra expenses, but we were so grateful for Sun Country. Our flight was uneventful which was exactly what we wanted. Thank you so much!
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteOrlando to Minneapolis
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"I didn't have any issues"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Nashville. Not sure what happened with others' experience with this airline or if my experience is a fluke, but I didn't have any issues with my flight with Sun Country at all. I would have liked to have one free checked bag but since it wasn't available, I did pay for one bag and also upgraded my seats to premium so I could have a larger seat and only sit 2 to a row at the front of the airplane, what the seats are bigger. I paid extra for those items because I chose to and even doing so, my flight on Sun Country was about 1/2 of what 2 other top named airlines wanted to charge me for the same flight. I was allowed to bring my CPAP machine online as an additional carry on item without any hassle or questioning whatsoever. (Yes, I realize the ADA states that they must allow you to bring them on the plane, but I just wanted to reinforce how easy it was to do so). The premium economy seats receive a free beverage and they also gave us a wafer cookie from Denmark ad well. Being as this was only a 2 hour flight, I really want expecting much else. The initial ticketing agent, the gate agent and all the flight attendants were very friendly and courteous and very professional. This is an economy airline so if you want top of the line service then you need to look elsewhere and pay more for it. If you want to get from point A to point B for an affordable price and professional service, I would recommend them.
RouteOrlando to Nashville

"charges for everything"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Cancun. They should change the name to bum country. What another ultra low cost carrier that charges for everything. The only thing you can do for free is breathe. It probably won't be long and they'll charge for that too. Do yourself a favor and get a seat on an airline that has a carry on and seat choice built in. You won't feel so screwed.
RouteMinneapolis to Cancun
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Absolutely the worst service"

Trip Verified | I was putting my 2 underage children on the plane on 1/7/19 and we arrived over 2 hours prior to a 6:20 flight. Other flights were being pulled out of line (MANY BEHIND US) and were allowed to go to the front as their flights left first. CanCun, Puerto Vallarta, and Orlando to name some. Ft Myers was called and told if we were in the front two lanes to stay) which we were, but once again people who came in after us got put into a separate line and made it through faster. We had to wait through TSA even though Tampa was pushed ahead there (flight left 20 minutes after ours) By the time we made it through TSA final boarding had been called, we had to run and my kids were whisked onto the plane before I could say Goodbye. I talked to the Suntrust manager and he smirked at me and said ”they made the plane I don’t know what your problem is”. Absolutely the worst service I've ever had.
RouteMinneapolis to Ft Mysers

"grossly customer-unfriendly"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Las Vegas. What a pity that the new Sun Country management has turned a once great airline, one that was admired and preferred by its customers, into the grossly customer-unfriendly, uncaring and manipulative organization that it is today. It is not really a surprise, although it is terribly disappointing, that Sun Country is turning out to be another Allegiant - or worse - and soon to be worse than Spirit. It takes a lot of bad decisions and questionable practices to make that happen. Sun Country used to differentiate itself in the market - sensible pricing and customer-friendly - a great middle of the road winning strategy when implemented properly. Unfortunately, the customer-friendly aspect at Sun Country is history. They truly do not care about their customers. They do care about their customers' money - and they implement every trick in the book to extract more of it from them. And, it keeps getting worse. Part of Sun Country's problem is that they no longer have any leadership positions. They are followers of the industry it total and of the industry's most hated companies. When I buy an airline ticket, I expect to be provided a seat. Paying twice for seats has become an unsavory practice of some carriers, Sun Country included. But Sun Country goes even further. They intentionally punish their customers who refuse to pay extra for their seat. Now, you cannot check in online if you refuse to pay extra to choose a seat. Spirit does the same thing (Shame!) but at least they let you check in at a kiosk at the airport. On our 1/1/2019 Sun Country flight, they provided no kiosk at the airport, so we had to stand in line (30 minutes) to check in - even though we had no luggage. That punishment is obviously so people will pay the seat extortion in the future. Today I had the misfortune of making a mistake in the booking of a Sun Country ticket for my grandaughter. Easy to correct on customer- friendly airlines. But, Sun Country had no way to cancel the ticket online. You had to call Reservations. I did, and was told the wait might be up to 60 minutes. Actually, the wait was a little over one hour. I had to rebook her flight, but I gladly paid more on another carrier so I could avoid further abuse from Sun Country. I was not abused as badly as all those people who were stranded when Sun Country cancelled scores of flights - and then said they would refund the fares, but the people "were on their own". That kind of arrogance and contempt for customers is what will eventually bring Sun Country down. Maybe not too late to fix it, but all indications are that it is going the other way. Sad. Too bad. It once was a classy company.
RouteMinneapolis to Las Vegas