Sun Country Airlines

"needs to better train agents"

Trip Verified | Sun Country gate agent at Harlingen TX airport offered us seats nearer front of plane, but didn't print boarding passes with those seat assignments. Sun Country needs to better train their agents to honor their commitments.
RouteMinneapolis to Ramsey
Date FlownNovember 2018

"I still don't have my luggage"

Not Verified | Sun Country lost my luggage. Actually they never even put it on the plane in New Orleans - I called the New Orleans airport the day I got home and they said they have never even heard of SunCountry. Finally talked to the airline to find out it was lost, a week later the Minneapolis airport contacted me with my luggage promising to Fed Ex it. Now it's been almost 2 weeks since I've been home! I've talked to three different people at Suncountry and MSP airport- I still don't have my luggage!
RouteNew Orleans to Minneapolis

"much to improve on"

Trip Verified | Satisfied but they have much to improve on. I flew between Minneapolis to Orlando on Oct26th and again on Oct 28th in first class. I was surprised I got a 737 that still had first, most have been removed as they are converting to a completely low cost model. The thing to know is that you get what you pay for, flights are crowded because they are somewhat less expensive than others, the planes are older as they always have been with this airline and things just pretty much work. No in-flight entertainment unless you want to pay for it and this is being removed from their planes (my Sun country flight to Cancun did not have it) and they are saddled with some poor management decisions. The planes are older and usually somewhat dirty as they usually have under 15 minutes to turn them around and the ground staff is usually not knowledgeable because the current ownership is contracting for their Gate Agent and counter staff at a competing salary with McDonald's, so they are not the best. On the flip side, you get to where you are going in a seat that is fine with a usually very friendly flight staff and is you are flying out of MSP, flying out of Terminal 2 is a pleasure. Management has a lot of work to do, it has been obvious to me on the six flights that I have taken with them this year, but the flight staff have always been top notch, professional and courteous. Expect that the plane will be older and that the flight crew will be hurried, because they are and there is a good chance your flight will either be delayed for one reason or another or really, really rushed because it was somewhat delayed at the location it came from. If you fly with them knowing that these are the current issues, you'll be fine. Purchase your seat ahead of time, get to the gate early and pay to check your luggage and things will be fine, not great, just fine. I will fly them again and I wish their first class was staying, six wide in a 737 is really too small, but their price is still significantly less than others. Know all of this and you will be fine.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteMinneapolis to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2018

"flight attendants were smiling and friendly"

Trip Verified | I had a pleasant flight. Imagine flying before smart phones. No TV, no entertainment. Little leg room. However they offer a complimentary beverage and water after that. The flight attendants were smiling and friendly. The plane ride was smooth and we had little turbulence. If you expect it to be like a larger airline then you will not enjoy the flight, however if you are in need of a flight that’s a decent price to get you to your destination then this is great company. I would certainly fly with Sun Country Airlines again.
RouteMinneapolis to Orlando
Date FlownOctober 2018

Never flying with them again"

Trip Verified | Seattle to New York via Minneapolis. Never seen such a terrible and unfriendly airline. Not to mention that my flight from SEA to MSP had a delay of 1.30h and I missed my connection flight to JFK; Sun Country staff forgot to load my 2 suitcases off the aircraft in MSP and I could pick them up after 2h in their office. I spent the night in a hotel because the next flight to JFK was at 6am the next day. The transportation costs back to the airport the next day were my own responsibility. Last but not least the 6am flight was overbooked and they rebooked me on a Delta flight. I had to check in my bags again and the $170 were my own responsibility again. A “very nice” lady from Sun Country’s costumer service told me “there’s nothing they could refund me for”. Never flying with them again - period.
RouteSeattle to New York via Minneapolis
Date FlownOctober 2018

"not recommend Sun Country"

Trip Verified | Minneapolis to Los Angeles. I would not recommend Sun Country. I have flown with them about 6 times in the last year, and almost every time something has gone wrong. My new, sturdy suitcases got ripped twice in their care. The first time they at least noticed and set it aside in the baggage claim, so that I didn't risk anything falling out and being lost. The second time, however, this was not the case and it came rolling down the baggage claim with it's huge rip, and the entire bottom half of the suitcase fell out when I picked it up. 3 of my flights have been delayed over a half-hour, not due to weather, but due to poor planning of arrivals and other take offs (once according to the captain himself). My worst experience, however, was when my flight was delayed over 2 hours, causing me and 9 other passengers to miss our connecting flight, a flight we all originally had plenty of time to get to without even changing terminals. Sun Country didn't land where it said it would on all of our tickets, and put us in a completely separate terminal with only 5 minutes to de-board the plane, hop on a tram, and get to the next terminal. When we as a group asked what Sun Country could do to help us still get to our final destination, as most of us had rides waiting for us there and it was late at night, they replied there was nothing they could do and there would be no refund for our missed flights because it "wasn't their fault because of the weather," yet other people I knew who flew out the same day from other airlines in the same airport with the same weather conditions made it out on time. For this, I would rate them 1 star for customer service and 1 star for ability of their crew/equipment and the quality of their planes. I have not experienced much better in-flight quality either. Their flights are usually crowded compared to any other major or smaller/local airlines I have flown in. The seats themselves are okay, fairly comfortable, but with no adjustable headrest like most airplanes have now, and with a somewhat difficult seat recliner. The quarters are cramped: smaller than usual aisles and much closer together seats with little legroom. There is also no in-flight entertainment, which is fine by me, but I know many other airlines offer this now. The free drinks are fine, but there's no in-flight free food, and I've had several somewhat grumpy stewards/stewardesses (it's probably not their fault though - these are very uncomfortable conditions to work in, and I'm sure they get many unhappy passengers because of the conditions as well). I would say you get what you pay for, but I've flown Delta for relatively the same price and Spirit for much less, and both were a much superior experience. These other airlines also did not tack on extra fees for choosing my economy seat or for having a carry-on. The only plus to flying Sun Country, in my opinion, is flying into slightly less busy terminals, which is always nice!
RouteMinneapolis to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2018

"this airline was incredible"

Tampa to Dallas. Honestly, I saw the inexpensive price and I read the reviews and was hesitant because it didn’t have the best reputation. However, this airline was incredible. Very impressed with the cleanliness, leg room, free drink options, kindness of the staff and more. The downfall is the price for bags, but if you purchase a checked bag before the airport it is a reasonable price. You do not have to purchase a seat, though it seems that way, just hit skip and they’ll book one for you when you get to the airport. Overall, I was very pleased with the results.
RouteTampa to Dallas
Date FlownOctober 2018

"less than helpful customer service"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Phoenix. This airline used to be a good reliable carrier. It is no longer worth flying in my opinion. My wife has an upcoming flight originally scheduled as a morning departure, but after two changes is now a late afternoon departure resulting in her losing most of her first day of her trip. The fare was purchased during a sale offering, but after speaking with their less than helpful customer service representative, there is no question that the flight was never really scheduled. Per customer service, there are no gates available to use at the original departure time. If you consider that response, than the original scheduled departure was nothing more than 'bait and switch' to sell unscheduled space. While customer service did offer that a refund was available, and she could reschedule (at a much higher airfare), they also could not guarantee that that fight would depart at the scheduled time. If I could give less than 1 star, I would. Do not fly this airline, especially if you need to be somewhere at a specific time.
RouteMinneapolis to Phoenix
Date FlownOctober 2018

"Never using Sun Country again"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Minneapolis. My wife and I fly once a year to visit family in Southern California. We have always flown first class Sun Country out of MSP. We've had some complaints over the years but over-looked them due to the value. But this is literally beyond words. We had already purchased our tickets, flew to L.A. and boarded the flight home when we realized the plane back to MSP had no first class seats. Apparently, Sun Country bought some new (to them) aircraft that are all coach seats. We were told by the crew that first class was the first 3 rows (of coach seats) and we got stuck in their “transition” (of phasing out). So the salad, brownie and drink was supposed to be worth the extra 500 bucks we paid for first class! The FA told me to email the CEO and complain. Then hopefully he'll do the right thing and refund some money. So now, I'm supposed to write a letter in the hopes that they'll do the right thing and refund some money? I won't hold my breath. They even told us that they were upgrading people in the airport before boarding to first class and that those customers were upset too. I guess they thought that would make us feel better? I was offered no other solution other than joining their points program to get 50 bucks worth of free points. Never using Sun Country again. Their deceptive practices lost them this formerly loyal customer.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLos Angeles to Minneapolis

"a terrible airline"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Boston. Bought e-tickets for a family of 4; had an excellent experience traveling to Boston from MSP but this was with Jet Blue. For some reasons, our return flight was with Sun Country. What a terrible airline! We only had one bag to check in just as we had with JetBlue. They immediately said that we will have to pay for everything we will take with us on the aircraft, except for “something like a purse”. They made us pay for our kids little bags and made sure we understood that we would pay $50 to check both in or $80 if we wanted to take them as carry-ons. Now, I understand that every airline has its own policy re: luggage etc, but the differential pricing is just a ripoff. They never let you know of those restrictions when you purchase the tickets. I hope I never have to fly Sun country again.
RouteMinneapolis to Boston