Sun Country Airlines

"you get what you pay for"

Trip Verified | San Antonio to Portland. This is my first (and last) trip with Sun Country. For the first flight, we were boarded on time, but sat on the runway area for 54 mins while they tried to figure out why the communications lines weren’t operating. The plane headed up to 85+ degrees while we sat and waited - melting in the hot south Texas July heat. 4 days later on the returning flight, we all board 20 mins late and sat on the runway yet again for 48 mins. This time at PDX the plane interior only heated up to around 78/80 degrees while we waited for the plane's crew to announce that the AC unit wasn’t functioning properly and we were directed to de-plane. We ended up waiting 2 additional hours in the airport for another Sun Country plane to land, so we could board it. Are people being boarded before these things are checked? Long story short - you get what you pay for. Pay the additional $100 bucks and fly with a competent airline - you know Delta, American, Southwest, United, seriously any other airline that has a reputation to be upheld.
RouteSan Antonio to Portland
Date FlownJuly 2019

"denied a second beverage"

Trip Verified | Portland to St Louis. The flight attendants were very rude and you could tell they did not like their job. I was denied a second beverage on a 4 hour flight. Very disappointed to spend 4 hours feeling this way for the amount of money we spent.
RoutePortland to St Louis
Date FlownJuly 2019

"fake low fare deal"

Not Verified | I’ve flown Sun Country a handful of times from San Francisco to Minneapolis. The aircraft is decent and has phone chargers and I’ve never had a delay. I don’t eat aeroplane garbage food so I can’t comment on that in particular. The problem with Sun Country is they charge you $30 for any carry on and when you check-in you have to pay an additional $10 for your seat. You think you’re getting a good deal on your airfare but when you check in, they collect a minimum of $40 additional. When you purchase your ticket, it does not include your seat. This is absurd. It’s worth it to pick a full fare airline and not be tricked by some fake low fare deal on Sun Country
RouteSan Francisco to Minneapolis

"nightmarish experiences"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Seattle. I was surprised when checking in for my last Sun Country flight that a single carry-on now costs me $40. I'll be factoring that in when I choose future flights, and I'll be more likely to opt for Delta or Alaska. I wish I could kick Sun Country, but the best I can do is post this review and choose differently next time. Reading some of the other Sun Country reviews, I am so sorry to other passengers who have had really nightmarish experiences with Sun Country! My complaint is very minor in comparison. Better yet, we could all ride Amtrak - better for the environment - but their pricing and customer service record aren't really stellar, either.
RouteMinneapolis to Seattle
Date FlownJune 2019

"Just don't fly this airline"

Trip Verified | Sun Country Airlines may cancel your flight and not notify you. I was set to fly from Las Vegas to Minneapolis and after checking in for my flight online and confirming the flight status in the morning as "on time" I went to the airport only to be told the flight was canceled As a bonus, Sun Country offers you nothing in the way of assistance. No attempt to rebook you on another airline, no assistance with hotel voucher, meals, transportation or any other kind of assistance. They will provide you with a "Customer Care" number, but you will recieve a recording that tells you nobody can take your call. Eventually, they will just close the check-in gate and not talk to you or the other 200 passengers they strand at the airport. Never again. Just don't fly this airline. They were once a great airline, but the new corporate owners don't care about the consumers. They are notorious for canceled and delayed flights, and no customer service. Do yourself a favor and do not fly Sun Country.
RouteLas Vegas to Minneapolis
Date FlownJune 2019

"flight was extremely uncomfortable"

Not Verified | Flight 261 from Minneapolis to Chicago O'Hare, June 29. Flight delayed one hour, and included a gate change it happens. When we boarded, the plane had been sitting at the gate for close to an hour in the sun (temperature was 88 degrees in Minneapolis). Upon boarding, the cabin was very hot. The captain informed us that after they got the engines running and up in the air, the AC would come on and cool off the cabin. He was either wrong or lying because it never came on. What little air flow could be coaxed from the overhead nozzles was the same temperature as the cabin. The flight was extremely uncomfortable. When we landed it took 10 minutes to taxi to the gate. When we arrived, the gate ramp was not in place and it took 7 more minutes to get it in place. The temperature in Chicago was 90 degrees and gate ramp that sits outside in the sun all day was cooler than the plane when we got off.
RouteMinneapolis to Chicago
Date FlownJune 2019

"Never fly Sun Country Airlines"

Trip Verified | Newark to Minneapolis. Neither my partner nor myself have ever experience the level of incompetence and sheer unprofessionalism from an airline as we did this Saturday (6/29) until our first and only encounter with Sun Country Airlines. The short of it is that our flight to Minnesota was cancelled without ever informing us even now 48hrs after the scheduled flight. We were booked for an 11:45am flight out of Newark, NJ non-stop to Minneapolis, MN, flight SY 234. We received an email at 5am saying our flight had been delayed to 2:45pm, no biggie. At 8am another email arrived with an update that the delay was now until 3:10pm, no prob. Around 8:45am (AFTER the two delay emails) another airline’s plane made an emergency landing at Newark Airport causing complete closure for about 3hrs. Understandably all the airlines spent the rest of the day scrambling to accommodate their passengers, all but Sun Country Airlines. We had left our apt around 8:45am before opening the emails regarding the delays but decided we might as well continue over to the airport just in case things change further. We arrived around 11am and noticed immediately that the departure board had been updated and now our flight had been delayed until 4:46pm although we hadn’t received any email notification. Arriving at the ticket counter we discovered the Sun Country counter was closed and no employees were to be found. Several families were stranded with us and all stated without discrepancy that we had just missed two Sun Country employees being instructed by their supervisor to close their ticket counter and leave! No explanation to their customers, no assistance, and no update that the flights had been cancelled! One of the other customers informed us of the cancellation and gave us a Sun Country customer service number, apparently a parting gift from the Sun Country ticket counter employees. He warned us that he’d been on the phone for more than 45min thus far without getting through to anyone. My partner immediately placed the call. Upon noting how many people around us were discussing booking on another flight we scrambled our financial resources and bought the cheapest available tickets on another carrier that would get us to our destination, spending $500 more than the previous tickets had been. Finally, over 2hrs later, my partner was able to reach someone representing Sun Country customer service on the phone. This rep voiced shock and surprise when he explained to her that the Sun Country supervisor had pulled his ticket counter employees without any explanation to their customers, that we had not received any notice of cancellation (she confirmed the cancellation), and that we’d been on hold for over 2hrs still at the airport. She refused to send us any emailed confirmation of the cancelation nor the promised full refund. Fast forward two days later, we still have not received any notification from Sun Country of the cancellation, there’s no listing of the flight cancellation online, no notification of a refund, and of course no actual refund. We’ve also found online that this was not an isolated incident! On the same day this occurred (6/29/19), customers across the country (Boston, Las Vegas, DC) received the same treatment - canceled flights, no communication, no Sun Country staff at the airport, and 2+ hour phone waits on hold for customer service. Never fly Sun Country Airlines! They should not be allowed to conduct business!
RouteNewark to Minneapolis
Date FlownJune 2019

"no guarantee of leaving today"

Not Verified | Boston to San Diego via Minneapolis. Never again. We are delayed in Minneapolis with no guarantee of leaving today. Delayed twice and the website seems to be down for Sun country too. save yourself the trouble and book any other airline.
RouteBoston to San Diego via Minneapolis

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Portland to Las Vegas. Some of the worst customer service I've encountered. I've never had an airline I couldn't get through to on the phone until now. No wonder my flight was cheap. I tried reaching them by phone for over a week regarding my tickets and every time I called the prompt said we're unable to take your call due to a high volume of calls. Now I'm waiting to board and our flight is already late due to a stewardess being late. This is ridiculous. I won't be flying through them again.
RoutePortland to Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2019

"never fly this airline again"

Not Verified | Minneapolis to Chicago. Horrible customer service! We were sent back to MSP due to weather conditions which is understandable. I needed to make a connecting international flight which I allowed several hours between just in case there was a delay. We were to arrive in Chicago at 4:25 pm and my next flight was at 10 pm. Plenty of extra time. I asked if sun country could contact Scandinavian airlines in Chicago to let them know of the very lengthy delay and they as told 1 I could live on the number up just as easily as they could 2. They were only responsible for getting me to Chicago so it’s not their problem. I will never fly this airline again. Very rude and unhelpful and unkind people who work there.
RouteMinneapolis to Chicago